• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trudeau Popularity - or not. Nanos research

The Toronto-centric media's obsession with everything US is bloody sickening. They now seem to give never-ending coverage to every shooting in the US. Like WTF for? If a person wants to obsess over everything US then there are more than enough US networks on our cable packages to fill their boots or better yet, move down there FFS.
Exactly! Canada has been diligently increasing violent crime rates since Trudeau took power.

220FA97E-8E1D-48BA-8C18-5EC36E1B08EC.jpeg

Exactly! Canada has been diligently increasing violent crime rates since Trudeau took power.

View attachment 76218

Q5W5B5Y5R5AN7A4YC5R4JOYK3Y.jpg

The Toronto-centric media's obsession with everything US is bloody sickening. They now seem to give never-ending coverage to every shooting in the US. Like WTF for? If a person wants to obsess over everything US then there are more than enough US networks on our cable packages to fill their boots or better yet, move down there FFS.

More Canadian content please, even if its boring.
I agree with you in principle; I too would like to see more Canadian news and avoid getting sucked into American politics. But if you follow that idea to it's logical conclusion, it would never work:
First, you'd have to establish a completely separate news network where they established that they would only present Canadian news.
Next, you'd need government funding for this. Why? Because presenting "boring" news doesn't generate add revenue, and so you'd have trouble keeping the station/outlet alive without government funding.
But, finally, since you are now presenting information that "you" (and the other supporters of this station) believe that people should see, and not what the really want to see (exciting news, or whatever news the free market would cause to end up on the station), then the station/outlet would be accused of controlling/manipulating the narrative, and with government money to boot.

I agree with you in principle; I too would like to see more Canadian news and avoid getting sucked into American politics. But if you follow that idea to it's logical conclusion, it would never work:
First, you'd have to establish a completely separate news network where they established that they would only present Canadian news.
Next, you'd need government funding for this. Why? Because presenting "boring" news doesn't generate add revenue, and so you'd have trouble keeping the station/outlet alive without government funding.
But, finally, since you are now presenting information that "you" (and the other supporters of this station) believe that people should see, and not what the really want to see (exciting news, or whatever news the free market would cause to end up on the station), then the station/outlet would be accused of controlling/manipulating the narrative, and with government money to boot.
You can report on international news without sensationalizing and dwelling on it to the exclusion of stories that are more relevant to Canadians. When I was a kid back in the UK, I remember the BBC news would just say "here's what happened in the world today, goodnight" without any emotional manipulation.

Didn't you just describe the CBC?

I'm not advocating for a seperate network. Just less obsessive coverage of US issues.
For example there was a shooting in Tulsa Oklahoma last year, 3 people shot. CBC Newsworld and CTV Newsnetwork both covered the full press conference from the Sherriff's dept.
I'm thinking, yes this is tragic for the people involved but this has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with Canada.

I'm not advocating for a seperate network. Just less obsessive coverage of US issues.
For example there was a shooting in Tulsa Oklahoma last year, 3 people shot. CBC Newsworld and CTV Newsnetwork both covered the full press conference from the Sherriff's dept.
I'm thinking, yes this is tragic for the people involved but this has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with Canada.

Good point... there's lots of our own depressing material out there ;)

Didn't you just describe the CBC?
Not exactly, but there are similar complaints against it.

This theoretical Canadian-only news outlet would have to flat out say "we are avoiding more sensation news, even if it's what you are specifically asking for, because we are only going to show Canadian news, even if nothing really all that exiting has happened."

Whereas CBC purports to be unbiased and a reflection of the free market desire for news.

So cover important US news but stop covering it like it’s a local story, right?

If I want more in-depth US news coverage, I can turn on CNN or some other US outlet.

So cover important US news but stop covering it like it’s a local story, right?

If I want more in-depth US news coverage, I can turn on CNN or some other US outlet.
Sure, but also narrow the scope of what actually is "important US news". Is every murder in every city in the states important news? Is a JC Penny in Tallahassee that got flash-mob style looted "important US news"?

Oh yes the massive inferiority complex that the virtue signalling types all have.
You really think it's just "viture signalling types" that a. have inferiority complexes, and b. enjoy hearing about the dumpster fire that is American politics right now?

Back