• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

C3 Howitzer Replacement

Good time to buy them then, it is a good platform, and the fact not 1 has been lost yet in Ukraine also is a good sign. Maybe we should at least consider it?
Personally I'd wait until the US decides which wheeled SPG they buy for their SBCTs. I continue to be a big fan of commonality with the US for simple logistics purposes.

Personally I'd wait until the US decides which wheeled SPG they buy for their SBCTs. I continue to be a big fan of commonality with the US for simple logistics purposes.
Given that the caeser uses a Ranault engine and chassis, supply chains may already exist for us since Renault also owns Mack defense who made our MSVS SMP, which has a Renault engine.

Given that the caeser uses a Ranault engine and chassis, supply chains may already exist for us since Renault also owns Mack defense who made our MSVS SMP, which has a Renault engine.
Obviously you're 100% right that makes sense to try and have domestic access to our own source of replacement parts for our gear, but there is also a HUGE advantage to having the parts you need already flowing into theatre via the largest and most efficient military supply chain there is in case our own domestic supply chain runs short. That's what you get if you have commonality with the US Army.

Obviously you're 100% right that makes sense to try and have domestic access to our own source of replacement parts for our gear, but there is also a HUGE advantage to having the parts you need already flowing into theatre via the largest and most efficient military supply chain there is in case our own domestic supply chain runs short. That's what you get if you have commonality with the US Army.

If they will let you have access to the parts and let you use them.

The Swiss and the Germans have their export controls. So do the Americans.

Life is so difficult.... :D

If they will let you have access to the parts and let you use them.

The Swiss and the Germans have their export controls. So do the Americans.

Life is so difficult.... :D
Show me where Canada has export issues from the US…

Show me where Canada has export issues from the US…

I encourage you to type ITAR into the Search engine on this site.

As long as we are closely aligned with the US then you are quite correct, there are no issues.

You don’t have any other credible options for alignment.

I encourage you to type ITAR into the Search engine on this site.

As long as we are closely aligned with the US then you are quite correct, there are no issues.

Canadian citizens and permanent residents excluded from multiple roles in the CAF due to ITAR would appear to be an issue.

You don’t have any other credible options for alignment.

Today.

What is the US going to look like in 20 years? And what is the world's network of alliances going to look like?

Today.

What is the US going to look like in 20 years? And what is the world's network of alliances going to look like?
What if? What if? Constantly asking what if is exhausting and leads to stagnation. Act on what you know today and instill a culture that promotes the flexibility to pivot to change quickly.

Today.

If we are not still aligned with the US in twenty years its because there is no Canada.

What if? What if? Constantly asking what if is exhausting and leads to stagnation. Act on what you know today and instill a culture that promotes the flexibility to pivot to change quickly.

I don't disagree - My point is that we should keep a wide view of an envelope of futures and not focus on a single point.

I don't disagree - My point is that we should keep a wide view of an envelope of futures and not focus on a single point.
You would never stop entering scenarios and your envelope will burst. If the CAF were to focus on the battlefield developments in the Ukr/Rus conflict, right now, restructuring and reconstitution becomes clearer and gives actionable items, UAVs, sealift, armor, AD. China/North Korea are the known next threat so pivot to that and all that entails (see USMC). Unfortunately the biggest threat comes from the within the Budget Office and that is an enemy that presently can't be challenged and defeated.

My thinking is we are never going to have the perfect set of tools for the realworld scenario we eventually encounter. So what can we do with what we have. And what can we buy that is going to be useful in the greatest variety of situations.

Going back to the CESAR/CAESAR

An informative little video.

The French have been trying to court us for years , they tried to sell us mistrals back in 2013, that failed due to politics. Given Ukrainians are saying Milan is the second best ATGM they have next to Javelin, and the seemingly amazing combat record for Caesar, maybe a shift to French tech ain't such a bad idea? Heck I'd take a AMX-10RC over a TAPV if recce is switching to recon I'm force doctrine.

When we first bought Sperwer for Kabul we didn't have a truck for the launcher so we rented/borrowed a Renault launcher truck. It caused parts problems in Kabul. We were able to beg borrow and steal suitable parts from the French and Germans there. It was not an optimal solution.

One of the downsides of SP guns is that when the vehicle goes down the gun goes down (one of the key advantages of a towed gun is that you simply switch vehicles). Anything that one can do to keep the vehicles on the road - vehicle commonality, a plentiful parts supply, veh techs, swappable gun module - is a bonus.

🍻

Back