• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trudeau Popularity - or not. Nanos research

You really think it's just "viture signalling types" that a. have inferiority complexes, and b. enjoy hearing about the dumpster fire that is American politics right now?
I never get that. In many ways I would put America above us, or below if above is not better on the dumpster fire scale. American politics is super messy.....more of the making of the hot dog is in the open than in Canada.

But I see a greater number of Americans looking up everyday and saying wow glad we don't have that. Not a day goes by I don't see that. Gone are the days even Democrats are saying look at Canada what a great place.

The smug Canadian watches the US from Toronto media don't get that view yet.

I went to university in the US and every week friends DM asking me you guys alright up there. Yes some of that is US media over blowing things too. But even after that they are like.....you need a place just call.

You really think it's just "viture signalling types" that a. have inferiority complexes, and b. enjoy hearing about the dumpster fire that is American politics right now?
No but that’s who makes the most noise. And those that look down their noses love vacationing in Merica

But I see a greater number of Americans looking up everyday and saying wow glad we don't have that. Not a day goes by I don't see that. Gone are the days even Democrats are saying look at Canada what a great place.
Honest question: Which sources are you getting that from?

Honest question: Which sources are you getting that from?
You of course see it on the right wing sites all the time. But my point is you are even seeing now now on left media sites too like CNN even a couple times of CNBC. And yes it's its just comment sections and it's not a statistical sample....I have been surprised myself. Your milage may vary.

You will see everyday on sites like zero hedge, instapundit.com. daily wire (J Peterson is a huge factor on that one) and yes I know those are right.

I have see on stuff that on left Politico too.

I do really try to read all sides.

You of course see it on the right wing sites all the time. But my point is you are even seeing now now on left media sites too like CNN even a couple times of CNBC. And yes it's its just comment sections and it's not a statistical sample....I have been surprised myself. Your milage may vary.

You will see everyday on sites like zero hedge, instapundit.com. daily wire (J Peterson is a huge factor on that one) and yes I know those are right.

I have see on stuff that on left Politico too.

I do really try to read all sides.
So...comment sections? Or actual articles on CNBC, Politico, etc?

So...comment sections? Or actual articles on CNBC, Politico, etc?
The articles are usually about Canada. J Peterson, or whatever Trudeau is doing. And the comment sections. My point was you see it in the comment sections....5 or more years ago you would not. That is my point. I'm not saying it's official or the legacy media but just general impressions I get. It has jumped out at me when reading. Like I said just my take.

Plus my many American friends may influence me :)

Trudeau has put Canada on the map - give him his due

Canada is testing sinister wokeness to destruction​

The country used to be known for being boring. That was before Justin Trudeau took over
ZOE STRIMPEL4 February 2023 • 7:00pm

My natural reaction to Canada, as someone who grew up in its more famous and influential neighbour, used to be a blink or two and a lazy stir of recollection that the country does, in fact, exist.

But Canada, perhaps aware of its peripheral status, has since the election of its liberal-Left leader Justin Trudeau, left us no choice but to pay attention – for all the wrong reasons. Trudeau, an opportunistic wokester, has turned the country from a dull but relatively sensible-seeming place into a case study in why identity politics – and contemporary progressive ideology – is disastrous if allowed to reach the top. And reach the top it has in Canada, with the judiciary, schools, universities and public debate demented by it in myriad troubling ways.

The madness of Trudeau’s Canada has reached a fresh, painful high. New rules have come into effect that allow adults in British Columbia – the capital of which is addict-packed, overdose-ravaged Vancouver – to possess 2.5g of ecstasy, cocaine or heroin, as well as the opioid fentanyl, without fear of being troubled by the police. The idea is that with so many shooting up and dying on the streets, the kindest and most helpful thing to do is decriminalise drug possession, ending arrests and prosecution as well as fines and confiscation.

As Kennedy Stewart, former mayor of Vancouver, proudly pointed out: “It gets the police out of the lives of drug users.” Instead of facing any resistance to their pursuit of deadly narcotics, drug addicts will be given “health service referral cards” by the police to encourage them to get help. The best way to handle drug addiction may not be the threat of punishment, but this measure is bonkers.

Just as heroin has effectively been made legal on the streets of British Columbia, Canadians have been told not to have more than two alcoholic drinks per week – a drastic change from the previously recommended upper limit of around two drinks a day – because alcohol raises the risk of cancer and other diseases. So: a blind eye is turned to heroin on the streets, but a third glass of wine is frowned upon. As far as a philosophy of society goes, at least in 2023, this is a wacky mixture of the controlling and soulless with the callous and wilfully denialist.

Perhaps we shouldn’t be surprised. This is the sort of thing that happens when a society loses its moral bearings and instead embraces woke ideology. Woke is an authoritarian distortion of liberalism: it operates by ostracising and punishing those who don’t fall into line and who can then be called toxic, racist, dangerous and the rest. It demands that the many should apologise to the few, regardless of what they have done or said. Its carapace is a make-believe world in which all states of being are seen as identities, with the most “problematic” or “marginalised” (street heroin addicts, for instance) deserving of the greatest adulation.

Those who are genuinely deserving of care and attention, meanwhile, are often ignored. Which is all the more chilling in a country whose assisted dying laws have expanded to such an extent that it may soon be not only legal to assist in the suicide of someone with terminal and unbearable physical illness, but also of mental illness. While those with early onset dementia or Alzheimer’s might be the obvious victims of this provision, it also means that people with bipolar or schizophrenia, or depression, could tragically feel pressured into ending their lives.

Canada’s skewed moral compass is also apparent in its handling of cultural issues. For instance, misgendering someone could be cause for legal sanction. In 2021, a 42-page ruling in British Columbia found that a “non-binary and gender fluid” waiter had indeed been discriminated against by their former employers at an Italian restaurant who “deliberately” called them gendered nicknames such as “sweetheart”, “sweetie,” and “honey”.

Then there’s the tampering with history for the sake of politics. After unmarked graves were supposedly discovered on the sites of former church-run residential schools for indigenous children, some tried to cancel Canada Day and churches were burnt down – an action that Trudeau called “understandable”. The treatment of indigenous peoples was indeed scandalous, but the evidence for mass murder is not there. Nevertheless, an official inquiry in 2019 determined that Canada had committed – and was continuing to commit– “genocide”. Those who pushed back on the use of that term – Holocaust survivors and those who had witnessed the mass murder in Rwanda, among them – were mocked.

“I should have realised that the inquiry’s finding that Indigenous people are the victims of a ‘race-based’ genocide empowered by colonial structures would be mocked by pundits in the media,” complained Tanya Talaga in the Toronto Star. “After all, the media is among those colonial structures. My profession has been complicit in the suffering of Indigenous people. It still is.” Eh?

Canada has gone from being a lesson in enviable dullness and relative common sense to a warning of what happens when you let politicians, opportunistically drunk on the Kool-Aid of identity politics, run the show. With a Labour government looking likely to take the reins here in two years, we need to guard against the Canadian disease spreading through Blighty.

Last edited:
I don't get the hysertia around decimalization of drugs. Its proven to work in places like Portugal.

Also, my body my choice. If an adult wants to snort a line of Peruvian marching powder that's their choice.

Make it legal, sell it in a shop and put the gangs and organized crime out of business. Use the money saved and taxes raised for awareness and rehab.

I don't get the hysertia around decimalization of drugs. Its proven to work in places like Portugal.

Also, my body my choice. If an adult wants to snort a line of Peruvian marching powder that's their choice.

Make it legal, sell it in a shop and put the gangs and organized crime out of business. Use the money saved and taxes raised for awareness and rehab.
Also, Health Canada isn't prohibiting folks from drinking more than 2 drinks a week. They're just saying it's not a good idea to do so, but not stopping folks from selling or consuming it.

Also, isn't the BC law a provincial one, vice a federal one? Someone who says they grew up in the US would know a bit about the "states (well, provinces) rights" argument. If they're going to blame someone, blame the premier.

Not to mention that the capital of which is Victoria, not Vancouver.

Also, Health Canada isn't prohibiting folks from drinking more than 2 drinks a week. They're just saying it's not a good idea to do so, but not stopping folks from selling or consuming it.

Also, isn't the BC law a provincial one, vice a federal one? Someone who says they grew up in the US would know a bit about the "states (well, provinces) rights" argument. If they're going to blame someone, blame the premier.

Not to mention that the capital of which is Victoria, not Vancouver.

Sorry I should had quoted @Kirkhill article. I was more responding to the authors stance on BCs move with drugs.

My advice to politicians - Stop trying so hard. Take your hands off the controls for a while and watch what happens.

Opinion: 67% agree Canada is broken — and here's why​

Canadians say their government is increasingly out of step with the issues that matter to them
Author of the article:
Special to National Post
Published Feb 05, 2023 • Last updated 16 hours ago • 3 minute read

Two-thirds of Canadians contacted for a Leger poll agreed with the statement that "It feels like everything is broken in this country right now.”

The first time we heard the phrase, it was simply a great sound bite: “Canada is broken.” Months later, the hashtag count keeps climbing, and the phrase has become something of a battle cry.

With all the noise, our team at Leger asked Canadians if the assertion resonates with them. We were somewhat taken aback to learn that 67 per cent of Canadians agree with the statement: “It feels like everything is broken in this country right now.” It’s one thing when a sentiment is a catchy sparring point between party leaders and pundits, but quite another when two-thirds of Canadians agree.

Although it may come as a surprise, it’s not just the stereotypical angry old man who agrees that the country is “broken” (although this group is decidedly in that camp). In fact, women are more likely to agree the country is broken (70 per cent) then men (64 per cent), as are those under 55 (72 per cent) versus those 55 and older (61 per cent). Regionally, agreement with this sentiment is highest in the Prairies (74 per cent in Saskatchewan and Manitoba and 73 per cent in Alberta) and lowest in Quebec (59 per cent).

With a prevailing opinion that things are not going well in the country (i.e., everything’s broken), it should not be a shock that Canadians’ moods are not good. Half of Canadians in our survey said they are angry about the way the country is being managed, with one in five reporting they are very angry.

Anger is a complex emotion that can arise when individuals feel frustrated or powerless. Our survey findings suggest that this nationwide anger may be the result of a disconnect between what Canadians believe are the most critical issues of the day and the frustration they feel about where they perceive the government is focusing efforts.

Today, Canadians’ top concerns are directly tied to things that impact their daily lives and the lives of their families: the rapidly rising costs of pretty much everything they need to live, as well as the state of health care.

Our survey reveals that while Canadians feel these issues are very important, they don’t feel they are important to their governments. Sixty-eight per cent of Canadians say rising costs — including inflation and interest rates — are their biggest issue today. By contrast, only 28 per cent believe the federal government sees this issue as a top priority. In addition, 59 per cent of Canadians say health care is a top concern, but only 25 per cent think it’s where the federal government is primarily focused.

Governments say they are aware of Canadians’ concerns and are taking actions to address these. However, official responses seem to default to assessing problems instead of fixing them. Perhaps it is the nature of this government action that is giving rise to anger?

The notion of brokenness raises the question of how the relationship between citizens and those elected can be repaired. Perhaps the question of “is Canada broken” should be replaced by “Is Canada able to act on citizens’ concerns and show they are making an impact?” Although, we acknowledge the latter does not lend itself as a catchy hashtag.

In no way are we suggesting that addressing the complex policy challenges of our day is a series of easy tasks. And given Canadians’ moods today, making progress on these issues will have the added challenge of navigating through a now angry, dare we say cynical, population.

With the next sitting of Parliament upon us, perhaps it is time for our country’s leaders to pause their game of taking shots at each other and find ways to show Canadians they are listening to and acting upon their frustrations. This approach may temper some of the anger and frustration Canadians are feeling. However, it may not be as interesting for one’s social media feeds.

Special to National Post

Andrew Enns, EVP and Heather Owen, VP are part of Leger’s Central Canadian team. The survey data is from Leger’s Omnibus Study, conducted from Jan. 20-22, 2023, among 1,554 Canadians. For more information visit leger360.com

Can EMT responding to overdoses while we’re at it?

Ever see what meth does? It ain’t good.

I can find lots of articles of similar tone from various international English language media.

It is the opposite of hope.

Ancient history

The start of seven years of lousy weather, failed crops and famine all across northern Europe with mass deaths everywhere.

The year of the Salem Witch Trials
The year of the Glencoe Massacre of the Jacobite MacDonalds by the Williamite Campbells
The year of raids in New York and New England when French Royalists and Abenaki and MikMaq natives led by a French Missionaries were killing Anglo-Dutch protestants.
The year when Port Royal in Jamaica, the home of the privateers and pirates of the Caribbean, was destroyed by an earthquake

A year when Britain was led by the Dutchman William of Orange and its armies were led by French refugees fighting under the Union Jack.

Catholics and Protestants, Authoritarians and Rebels at each other's throats.

A decidedly unhopeful and unenlightened outlook.

Thomas Hobbes wrote documentaries.

And yet there were signs of change

John Locke, one of King William's English advisors wrote "A Third Letter for Toleration"

Edward Colston (1636–1721), merchant, philanthropist of Bristol, and Member of Parliament, a shareholder in the Royal African Company divested his shares in the Company (His statue would be toppled in 2021)

And the Enlightenment moved from being a philosophical debate to being a matter of state policy.

The move was precipitated by a decidedly authoritarian act by one of King William's Scottish advisors. A man who traded Scotland's support for King William and Queen Mary against their recognition of Scotland having a separate constitution that of the English. The rough bargain that was made was that the advisor, William Carstares would do two things.

1 - Promote the Union of the Scottish and English parliaments
2 - Reform the thinking of the Presbyterian Church of Scotland.

In England, reforming the Episcopalian Church of England was easy. All William had to do was replace the Archbishop of Canterbury with a man that shared the views of John Locke, the King's principal advisor.

In Scotland reforming the Presbyterian Church was difficult because each congregation's council of elders hired their own minister from the credentialled, if not licensed, pool of candidates generated by the Universities of Edinburgh and Glasgow. And those universities turned out staunch Calvinists in the mold of John Knox - unbending.

Carstare's solution was to persuade the Scottish parliament to appoint his brother-in-law William Dunlop to the Chair of the University of Glasgow and then

"Scottish parliament purges Dunlop's University of Glasgow clearing the way for the Carstares-Donlop team to appoint reformers like James Wodrow and John Simson as professors - Enlighten the University, the Kirk and Scotland with a New Licht (New Light)"

Carstares took over the University of Edinburgh himself.

Both schools stopped training strict Calvinists who debated witchery and angels on the heads of pins and started hiring professors open to debate on the existence of God and the nature of happiness. They also hired professors who taught novel applied sciences like physics, chemistry, medicine and mechanics. Resulting in young men becoming ministers while developing new breech loading hunting guns with percussion caps rather than chasing witches.

A very official change of direction in society towards a more democratic future but precipitated by a very authoritarian government.

Yet another paradox.

For the record and my own timeline

1692​
Year 1 of the Seven Ill Years - 1692-1699 - Recession​
1692New France - 'Candlemas Massacre - Led by Thury and the Abenaki - 24 January -an estimated 150 Abenakis commanded by officers of New France returned to York, killing about 100 of the English settlers and burning down buildings
1692New France - Mohawk Valley Raid - by French and Algonkians - February
1692New France - The Mohawk Valley raid (February 1692) was conducted against three Mohawk villages located in the Mohawk River valley by French and Algonquian Indian warriors under the overall command of Nicolas d'Ailleboust de Manthet. The action, part of a long-running French-Iroquois conflict and King William's War, which pitted the French against the Iroquois-allied English, resulted in the destruction of three villages, including critical stores of food. Many Mohawk were either killed or captured, with the latter intended to populate Christian Indian villages near Montreal. The raiders, burdened with their prisoners, were followed by a rapidly deployed English-Iroquois force led by Major Pieter Schuyler. The two forces engaged in skirmishing a few days after the raid. Because of the pursuit, the raiders were forced to release most of their prisoners, and were subjected to starvation due to the spoilage of some of their supply caches before they returned to Montreal. The Mohawk were seriously weakened as a military force within the Iroquois league, and the raid's effects contributed to the 1701 peace negotiated between the Iroquois, French, and many other tribes. (9 years later)
Glencoe - 13 February - Campbells and MacDonalds​
William of Orange reinstates the ban on the Gregorach and declares them outlaw​
1692 May 27-June 3 Barfleur and La Hougue - Decisive defeat of French by English and Dutch in the War of the Grand Alliance​
- French defeat Spanish near Cape Finisterre​
- French defeat Tripolitans near Malta​
Port Royal Jamaica destroyed by earthquake - 7 June​
1692Raid on Wells - Led by St-Castin and Beaudoin - 10 June - Miꞌkmaq from across the Maritime region participated in the Raid on Wells (1692)
1692Church's third expedition to Acadia during the war was in 1692 when he raided Penobscot (present-day Indian Island, Maine) with 450 men. Church and his men then went on to raid Taconock (Winslow, Maine).
1692Henri de Massue designated CinC Ireland
MacKay, Lt-Gen, Commander Br Div of the Grand Army in Flanders​
MacKay died at Steinkirk - 3 August​
Henri de Massue Jr created Viscount Galway and Baron Portarlington of the Irish Peerage with lands confiscated from a Jacobite officer killed at Aughrim​
1692Francois de la Rochefoucauld - Served in the Low Countries during the Nine Years War
1692Francois de la Rochefoucauld - Brevetted Lt Col and given command of Francis de Cambon's Regiment of Foot
1692New France - October 22, 1692 14 year old Marie-Madeleine Jarret defends against an Iroquois attack at Fort Verchères on the St. Lawrence River in Canada.
Coutts Bank (Campbells Bank)​
Death of Elias Ashmole​
John Locke publishes "A Third Letter for Toleration"​
Act For Supplying the Defects of the Former Laws for the Settlement of the Poor (3 William & Mary c. 11), in addition to earning settlement in a parish by renting a house worth at least £10 per year, poorer migrants could earn settlement by paying local taxes for a year or by serving as an apprentice or servant for a year.​
Edward Colston (1636–1721), merchant, philanthropist, and Member of Parliament, a shareholder in the Royal African Company divested his shares in the Company​
Expiration and Renewal of The Licensing of the Press Act 1662 is an Act of the Parliament of England (14 Car. II. c. 33), long title "An Act for preventing the frequent Abuses in printing seditious treasonable and unlicensed Books and Pamphlets and for regulating of Printing and Printing Presses." On the expiration of the Licensing Act in 1692 it was continued till the end of the existing session of parliament (4 & 5 Will. and Mary, c. 24, § 14). 1695​
New France - Salem Witch Trials - A group of young girls fell into hysterical fits after some of them heard tales from a West Indian slave woman. With the assistance of the local minister, Samuel Parris, and Cotton Mather, a special court was convened to try women accused by the girls of being witches. Ultimately 200 people, mostly women were charged and 19 hanged.​
New France - George Keith, a Quaker who had come to the colonies with the Quaker migration to the Delaware Valley, but like James Blair a graduate of Marischal College Aberdeen, separated from the Society of Friends and proceeded to travel the colonies encouraging other Quakers to join the Episcopal Church​
Convention of the Royal Burghs assesses the impact on the Scottish fleet and trade after three years of war with France - Reportedly the most devastated Scottish port was Ayr, once the principal west coast entrepot for the French trade and a rival to the newly built Port Glasgow. She had lost her entire fleet valued at 2611 UKP and her harbour and quays were described as in derelict state.​
The War had closed the French market to Scottish products. The Baltic trade was also affected. In addition there were changes in the Scottish cattle trade. All of this contributed to the rise of the period known as the Seven Ill Years. (1692-1699)​
At some point in the 1690s, William Dunlop had a role in exposing a plot against the authority of King William II of Scotland​
Scottish parliament purges Dunlop's University of Glasgow clearing the way for the Carstares-Donlop team to appoint reformers like James Wodrow and John Simson as professors - Enlighten the University, the Kirk and Scotland with a New Licht (New Light)​

@Kirkhill "For the record and my own timeline" OK, your own timeline and you start with "
1692Year 1

How freaking old are you? Or are you a vampire and we all didn't realize it?

Back