• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Akeron Missile, yay or nay?

Agreed, which is why I think we will end up with the French system, it’s available now with no que unlike the Javelin or Spike.
It’s likely a good UOR to fill a gap of our own fault but for my reasons above I don’t think it’s a great long term system for us.
In defence of the Akeron, the French like to go their own way, and keep their own defence industry alive. I suspect we could ride their coat tails just as effectively as we ride American ones.

Yes the tripod for either Spike or this missile is nowhere near the size of the TOW tripod and battery. Nonetheless it seems slightly more than the latest LWCLU for Javelin.

Interesting as well is Raytheon and the US Army have demonstrated the LWCLU capability to launch the Stinger after being cued by air defence radars linked to the LWCLU by tactical data links.
Working with the Spanish and Italians the mount and tripod would go together with one guy another carried the missile and they clipped in during the load, it’s was very seemless and I don’t know that is makes much material difference, in terms of space in the LAV we’re talking like any extra loaf of bread for grilled cheese (mission critical of course).
Straying outside my lane a bit(a lot) here, but along with what @markppcli has already said, why can't we have a shorter range system like NLAW for quick/dismounted use, and have something like the Akeron as a heavier, more capable system?

Single solutions are usually a compromise on multiple fronts, so having a useful mix of systems seems smarter to me.
You’re 100 percent correct. Much like any other weapon systems they should layer and compliment each other. While I’m a big fan of NLAW, I think we can achieve 80% of that with the CG and the Aim Point BCS. NLAW is cool in terms of being a disposable semi tracking ATGM but if we’re worried about space and bull, I don’t think we want lots of disposable munitions when we could carry double the rounds for an 84 in the same space.

Any of you guys remember Eryx?
That was another French wonder Missile…

I’m on the fuck that thing train.

Some nifty options for Javelin exist that aren’t public yet. I’d rather have the 6km Javelin that can be used FF.

For longer stuff you can go to Spike NLOS EP , and if you want a mid range system JAGM which has a ‘snicker snicker’ 8km OS range band, which I would confidently say is 14-16km

Remember the Eryx…

I am actually very excited about a new M4 84mm with the Ain point FCS, especially if we get tandem HEAT warheads.

I am actually very excited about a new M4 84mm with the Aimpoint FCS, especially if we get tandem HEAT warheads.
I’m less than excited about playing stand and deliver with a MBT with a Carl G regardless of version or FCS.

I do think it’s a great anti structure system, and has a place for secondary ambush roles against distracted MBT’s and Heavier IFV’s though.

I trained with the Eryx. 😢
Maybe that’s why I don’t like French stuff.

It’s a curiosity honestly but the army seems to have an affinity for continental European systems that is not shared in any respects by the RCN or RCAF.

Ya my excitement is as an anti structure or random HE projector against dismounts and light armour.
MBT I want NLAW and Javelin.

I had that idiot yack my ear off about it when I got posted to the RCR BSL.
(He went from the PM of that program to CO of the BSL, so much for never pass a fault).

It’s a curiosity honestly but the army seems to have an affinity for continental European systems that is not shared in any respects by the RCN or RCAF.
The Army doesn’t worry about sinking or falling from the sky…
It has a fondness to take idiots from villages and relocate them in DLR.

Effective firing range
  • Original CLU: 2,500 m (1.6 mi)
  • Lightweight CLU: 4,000 m (2.5 mi)[11]
  • From vehicle: 4,750 m (2.95 mi)[12][13]

A tripod, or even a monopod, for the Javelin might not be a bad thing. It seems that range is related to the stability of the CLU?

Some nifty options for Javelin exist that aren’t public yet. I’d rather have the 6km Javelin that can be used FF.

For longer stuff you can go to Spike NLOS EP , and if you want a mid range system JAGM which has a ‘snicker snicker’ 8km OS range band, which I would confidently say is 14-16km

Remember the Eryx…

Effective firing range
  • Original CLU: 2,500 m (1.6 mi)
  • Lightweight CLU: 4,000 m (2.5 mi)[11]
  • From vehicle: 4,750 m (2.95 mi)[12][13]

A tripod, or even a monopod, for the Javelin might not be a bad thing. It seems that range is related to the stability of the CLU?
Yes ish, you can get a pretty good lock seated with using your knees for supports over 5k…
I’d use a ruck as a ‘sandbag’ for anything longer.

Remember the Eryx…
Yeah but Milan is great. I wouldn’t discount Javeline because of Dragon.

I am actually very excited about a new M4 84mm with the Ain point FCS, especially if we get tandem HEAT warheads.

The AAR from RCR had them getting first round hits at 1000m, which is pretty decent for what it is.

The need to be “not American” is strong and deeply entrenched, maybe we’re just big underdog fans. Look at the mental gymnastics we go through to have have load carriage and armour integrated. We have to be smugly superior.

I’m less than excited about playing stand and deliver with a MBT with a Carl G regardless of version or FCS.

I do think it’s a great anti structure system, and has a place for secondary ambush roles against distracted MBT’s and Heavier IFV’s though.

To me it’s a great multi purpose system that I’d have in the back of every LAV we own (the racks are already built in). We can get into where ATGMs sit beyond that later on. Spike, Javeline, MMP, Stuga I really am not fussed. At this point I’m very pro Javelin because of the AD options I’ve been swayed on.

And @Kirkhill thr tripod exists for it.

Attachments

• EC9DFECB-F577-40DD-A21F-6022836D030A.jpeg
    EC9DFECB-F577-40DD-A21F-6022836D030A.jpeg
    401.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Yes ish, you can get a pretty good lock seated with using your knees for supports over 5k…
I’d use a ruck as a ‘sandbag’ for anything longer.
Finally saw a pic of the Jav LW CLU. Holy crap, they put the CLU in the dryer for extra time and shrunk it good, that thing is very small. Same FOV as the original?

It's the we don't want to be mistaken for "Americans" thing. From the old peacekeeping missions to training with other nations. Its the old Canadian "we are not American" thing. The RCN ships are built in Canada and look different but have US systems so all good. For RCAF the Euro stuff is just doesn't cut it in most cases.

LG-1 enters the chat.

;)
Oh come on that thing was awesome, oh wait sort of not really. Concept was good, light weight 360deg capability cool looking tires. To light and to many little gadgetry things. I never knew Titanium rusted until the lg1, nothing a can of paint didn't fix my gun looked new every time it came out of the sea can.

Oh come on that thing was awesome, oh wait sort of not really. Concept was good, light weight 360deg capability cool looking tires. To light and to many little gadgetry things. I never knew Titanium rusted until the lg1, nothing a can of paint didn't fix my gun looked new every time it came out of the sea can.
And then there were the cracking barrels.

HEER - not really - not often.

🍻

Working with the Spanish and Italians the mount and tripod would go together with one guy another carried the missile and they clipped in during the load, it’s was very seemless and I don’t know that is makes much material difference, in terms of space in the LAV we’re talking like any extra loaf of bread for grilled cheese (mission critical of course).

You’re 100 percent correct. Much like any other weapon systems they should layer and compliment each other. While I’m a big fan of NLAW, I think we can achieve 80% of that with the CG and the Aim Point BCS. NLAW is cool in terms of being a disposable semi tracking ATGM but if we’re worried about space and bull, I don’t think we want lots of disposable munitions when we could carry double the rounds for an 84 in the same space.

Beating an old drum but

NLAW, AT4 and M72 strike me as Home Guard weapons - descendants of the Panzerfaust and the Blacker Bombard. The type of thing that should be manufactured in bulk and dumped into long term storage.

CG84/FCS14 (section), Javelin (platoon), Javelin with tripod (company), and then Spike NLOS, Hero 120, Switchblade 600, 120mm mortar (battalion/brigade) - all those seem to appeal to the needs of the active force.

Beating an old drum but

NLAW, AT4 and M72 strike me as Home Guard weapons - descendants of the Panzerfaust and the Blacker Bombard. The type of thing that should be manufactured in bulk and dumped into long term storage.

CG84/FCS14 (section), Javelin (platoon), Javelin with tripod (company), and then Spike NLOS, Hero 120, Switchblade 600, 120mm mortar (battalion/brigade) - all those seem to appeal to the needs of the active force.
I don’t see much distinction frankly. An 84 isn’t a very complex weapon to operate. They all serve a purpose, I’m not keen to tier troops to home guard and what have for a country that hasn’t been worried about invasion since 1870.

Back