• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's tanks

It's kind of funny but back in the days of battledress and FSODs we always switched into coveralls for all kinds of "dirty" work, from gun drill in the field to maintenance. Once we started wearing combats that went a bit out of fashion. Strangely enough we also used to be told not to iron our combats because that would ruin them and that they were very expensive (and for the time they were)

As the years went on coveralls were reserved more and more for just the filthiest of maintenance work.

🍻

It's kind of funny but back in the days of battledress and FSODs we always switched into coveralls for all kinds of "dirty" work, from gun drill in the field to maintenance. Once we started wearing combats that went a bit out of fashion. Strangely enough we also used to be told not to iron our combats because that would ruin them and that they were very expensive (and for the time they were)

As the years went on coveralls were reserved more and more for just the filthiest of maintenance work.

🍻

While Combats became covered in grease spots and so thread bare you could spit through them and there wasn't enough material left in them to hold a crease in any case.

While Combats became covered in grease spots and so thread bare you could spit through them and there wasn't enough material left in them to hold a crease in any case.
Never underestimate the power of spray starch liberally applied to the inside of the crease and ironed flat.

:giggle:

I remember those...

But I think the word you're looking for in this case is 'Sheer' ;)

dance dancing GIF

Early 70's in Lahr. Our combats were done. No material left on the nylon mesh. Combat negligees we called them. For some reason, we couldn't get exchanges.

Brigade Commander's inspection happened. We were all out there in our see through combats going commando. The General had about 3-4 females on staff and a photographer.

By the end of the inspection, main stores up on base were told they would close the following week and only allow RCD combats exchange.

Maybe it was all the swinging dicks on parade, but it worked. Quite the sight with the sun shining through our uniforms.🤣

I'm missing something here. Is there something wrong about wearing coveralls? I would think its the right clothing to be wearing if doing something on a LAV or Tank? Shouldn't the situation dictate the clothing?

In the field, on the ship, in the air, in Ottawa....All have different requirements.
Nothing wrong with it, I just find it hillarious when we had our designated “maintenance days” that people all had to wear them because it was “maintenance day” regardless of their task. It also implied that we weren’t doing maintenance the other four work days of the week. Which some times we didn’t so we’d have something to do when the CO came around on maintenance Monday.

Early 70's in Lahr. Our combats were done. No material left on the nylon mesh. Combat negligees we called them. For some reason, we couldn't get exchanges.

Brigade Commander's inspection happened. We were all out there in our see through combats going commando. The General had about 3-4 females on staff and a photographer.

By the end of the inspection, main stores up on base were told they would close the following week and only allow RCD combats exchange.

Maybe it was all the swinging dicks on parade, but it worked. Quite the sight with the sun shining through our uniforms.🤣
sometimes the big honcho needs to see the problem with own eyes

Here is a plan

Rheinmetall buys tanks from the Swiss that won't be used in Ukraine. Wink wink! Knowing the swiss the tanks are in better condition than everyone else's and could go in to battle now. So Canada can save if think we need to send more of ours. Post the Vehicle Data Plate to Rhienmetall and we save on getting the CAF's tank up to working condition and a C-17 ride. Win!

Here is a plan

Rheinmetall buys tanks from the Swiss that won't be used in Ukraine. Wink wink! Knowing the swiss the tanks are in better condition than everyone else's and could go in to battle now. So Canada can save if think we need to send more of ours. Post the Vehicle Data Plate to Rhienmetall and we save on getting the CAF's tank up to working condition and a C-17 ride. Win!
Maybe get the Swiss ones worked up to the 2A7/2A8? and have the freedom to give some more of ours to Ukraine.Does RUAG still do that work?

The Swiss tanks are little different, most of them (~350 *wiki says 345, but I've seen other sources suggest 360 - so...) were license built in Switzerland. They are generally in very good condition - but haven't been brought up to anything past A4 I believe, which was the configuration (ish) they where built in (they use a different comms suite, a different coax and commander MG, and have a different NBC system than NATO tanks.

I suspect they would need work to bring up to a NATO A4 standard, and would be better reworked into A8

The Swiss tanks are little different, most of them (~350 *wiki says 345, but I've seen other sources suggest 360 - so...) were license built in Switzerland. They are generally in very good condition - but haven't been brought up to anything past A4 I believe, which was the configuration (ish) they where built in (they use a different comms suite, a different coax and commander MG, and have a different NBC system than NATO tanks.

I suspect they would need work to bring up to a NATO A4 standard, and would be better reworked into A8
Rhienmetall sees profit here. Any working Leo2 has its value skyrocket over the last year and then more after the Germans released other countries to ship to Ukraine. Now everyone wants increased fleets and more now to replace the donated ones. Rheinmetall is mostly dieing to get the hulls. It sell for backfill or even better to upgrade and sell. At the same time work to build new. Business looks good.

Also I read a guy in Europe has a bunch of Leo1 he purchased for 50 grand each and is now selling for 1 million a piece.

Rhienmetall sees profit here. Any working Leo2 has its value skyrocket over the last year and then more after the Germans released other countries to ship to Ukraine. Now everyone wants increased fleets and more now to replace the donated ones. Rheinmetall is mostly dieing to get the hulls. It sell for backfill or even better to upgrade and sell. At the same time work to build new. Business looks good.

Also I read a guy in Europe has a bunch of Leo1 he purchased for 50 grand each and is now selling for 1 million a piece.
I hope someone is working on a modern Gepard turret, you could rebuild good Leo 1 hulls for them or build a lightweight Leopard 2 hull for them. The Korean K2 hull or their K9 SPG hull would be good as well.

It is almost like the old Vulcan 20mm mount would be useful again in counter UAV…

You don't suppose that "someone" might just have a stock pile of recently retired M 163's laying about ?

You don't suppose that "someone" might just have a stock pile of recently retired M 163's laying about ?
I believe most of those were demilitarized. From what I understood weapons went to the CONNEX box ‘Phalanx on Land’ systems.

I hope someone is working on a modern Gepard turret, you could rebuild good Leo 1 hulls for them or build a lightweight Leopard 2 hull for them. The Korean K2 hull or their K9 SPG hull would be good as well.

Colin

The replacement turret exists

Back