• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Opportunity to update the CC-150 fleet?

Agreed - I mean more setup as tankers versus setup as cargo/passenger. I understand it’s all modular, but does take a bit of time to unlock and swap.
According to Airbus, no reconfiguration is required, unless you want to set it up for medical or cargo. It's pretty flexible, so ultimately the best option for those countries with limited defence budgets. Kind of a Swiss army knife aircraft.

According to Airbus, no reconfiguration is required, unless you want to set it up for medical or cargo. It's pretty flexible, so ultimately the best option for those countries with limited defence budgets. Kind of a Swiss army knife aircraft.

I take issue with that statement as you can’t have the fuel bladders and the passenger seating pallet modules in at the same time.

The image from Airbus’s website shows what needs to get swapped.

IMG_1202.jpeg
As I understand it, the various modules get unlocked and slide down to the side cargo door then can be unloaded.
Depending on the degree of ground support systems it should be swappable from 45min to several hours.

I don’t think it’s something you really want to swap out all the time, simply because it increases the risk of somebody breaking something, or not affixing something correctly.

I take issue with that statement as you can’t have the fuel bladders and the passenger seating pallet modules in at the same time.

The image from Airbus’s website shows what needs to get swapped.

View attachment 77643
As I understand it, the various modules get unlocked and slide down to the side cargo door then can be unloaded.
Depending on the degree of ground support systems it should be swappable from 45min to several hours.

I don’t think it’s something you really want to swap out all the time, simply because it increases the risk of somebody breaking something, or not affixing something correctly.
I could be wrong, but I don't believe the MRTT uses fuel bladders inside the passenger section - the fuel is all carried in internal tanks.

Stupid decisions from clueless leaders is what the RCAF is about.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe the MRTT uses fuel bladders inside the passenger section - the fuel is all carried in internal tanks.
Just looking at the schematics I can’t see the room for that much fuel without removing the passenger modules.

Just looking at the schematics I can’t see the room for that much fuel without removing the passenger modules.
There’s a two hour episode about 707s that provide in flight refueling . It’s a private company called Omega.
I believe they use fuel bladders in the fuselage.

Adding: maybe the RCAF should talk to these guys.

Last edited:
The 110,000kg of fuel is the same as the unmodified A330-200; the MRTT shares its internal fuel load.

A fully fuelled MRTT can carry an additional 45,000kg of cargo (including self loading cargo). Don't know if there are options for additional fuel pods.

From the article:

"With 245,000 lb. (111,000 kg) of fuel in its standard internal tanks, the A330 is the first aircraft adapted for aerial refueling that did not require installation of extra fuel bladders, enabling it to carry its full load of fuel while reserving all of its main and lower decks for passengers and cargo."

From the article:

"With 245,000 lb. (111,000 kg) of fuel in its standard internal tanks, the A330 is the first aircraft adapted for aerial refueling that did not require installation of extra fuel bladders, enabling it to carry its full load of fuel while reserving all of its main and lower decks for passengers and cargo."

Brain fart on model - appreciate that - I had the A320 fuel load on another screen and thus wasn't getting how it was possible - until I finally noticed the 2 wasn't a 3.

I noticed that internal pods are being looked at for the KC-Z with the LocMart/Airbus combo so it will have at least as much as the KC46A.

Last edited:
Brain fart on model - appreciate that - I had the A320 fuel load on another screen and thus wasn't getting how it was possible - until I finally noticed the 2 wasn't a 3.

I noticed that internal pods are being looked at for the KC-Z with the LocMart/Airbus combo so it will have at least as much as the KC46A.
Correct. 13 tons extra, in fact. Don't think it will be through the use of internal pods, however. Note that the "standard" MRTT already carries more fuel than the Pegasus.

There’s a two hour episode about 707s that provide in flight refueling . It’s a private company called Omega.
I believe they use fuel bladders in the fuselage.

Adding: maybe the RCAF should talk to these guys.
RCAF has experience in the field, and is acquiring a MOTS solution which will be interoperable with NATO allies, and be able to leverage commercial aviation supply chain and maintenance facilities.

Not certain that folks flying decrepit no longer produced aircraft have that much to teach...

Correct. 13 tons extra, in fact. Don't think it will be through the use of internal pods, however. Note that the "standard" MRTT already carries more fuel than the Pegasus.

Interesting two other articles (including one of the above articles in this thread) claimed the 46A carries more - but even Boeing and the USAF says 212,299 pounds (or 96,297kg) and 18 pallets with a total of 65,000lb (or 29,484kg) of additional cargo.

As much as I don’t appreciate the current Canadian PM, I don’t think that not having a dedicated aircraft suite is a good thing.

Canada is a large wealthy country and having a dedicate aircraft setup for the leader shouldn’t be an issue.
I think the issue is that we need these two aircraft now and to put one into immediate refit for a VIP plug would delay that. I do not have any particular insight into the long range transport fleet, but it would not surprise me if one of them eventually got a mod.

As much as I don’t appreciate the current Canadian PM, I don’t think that not having a dedicated aircraft suite is a good thing.

Canada is a large wealthy country and having a dedicate aircraft setup for the leader shouldn’t be an issue.
You're right of course. I'm just being a little %&*%.

I just have a hard time with this one. It has the feel of Challenger buys. Oh we need to replace the CC-150 VVIP and refueler. OK this buy looks to move faster than all the others. It just smells and tastes wrong.

In defence of the RCAF yes the CC-150 need to be replaced. And they of course didn't want to announce or buy anything before the CF-18 replacement was locked down. That I agree with at least on the optics side of house. Remember reading some press against the F-35 saying they don't work with our refeulers and they used this as one of the major point against. Dumb point but one that was used.

One more point in my dark heart.......If my thinking is right that the purchase got though because Socks wanted a better jet....that this announcement is somebody's passive aggressive way of F you.

Or the Liberal know an election is coming and this is clearing a file as a stick for the opposition to use.

But really in truth sounds like the best short term option and the RCAF is making a good call.

Back