Author Topic: Engineer Officer Education Requirements  (Read 6559 times)

Offline reboog

• Rate Post
Engineer Officer Education Requirements
« on: April 21, 2011, 14:45:25 »
(I did a search for this before posting, found nothing)

Hello everyone, I recently submitted an application to join the CF as an engineering officer but I had some concerns about my qualifications. My university degree is Chemistry Honours, which according to my CFRC, is deemed worthy of consideration for the position but is not one of the preferred backgrounds. How badly will this handicap me during the application process (namely my wait-list ranking)?

Thanks

Offline Squirly480

• Rate Post
Re: Engineer Officer Education Requirements
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 20:13:28 »
not sure why they told you that, i know some of our officers only have BA's or business degrees and they never had any difficulties, so i don't think yours will handicap you at all, good luck and hope this helps.

Offline frank1515

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 22:27:11 »
Info on the Engr Officer trade can be found here.

http://www.forces.ca/en/job/engineeringofficer-21#info-1

Let's put it this way.  If there are 2 positions open, and 3 candidates putting in an application. 2 of the candidates have the preferred university degree while the third does not.  This will hurt the person without the preferred degree. Is it impossible to get into the Engr Officer trade without an engineering degree? No. Is it more difficult? According to the requirements, yes.
*I have no military experience and I don't claim to have any. Anything posted by Frank1515 is from personal experiences with the recruiting process or my personal opinion. Please keep this in mind while reading my posts*

Offline pfinlayson

• Rate Post
  • Joining the Engineers
    • Housewright Building & Restoration
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 11:34:51 »
Does anyone have any experience with construction management programs? 

I have been accepted and am shortly starting a Bachelor of Construction Management program at BCIT (http://www.bcit.ca/study/programs/8800btech) to further my civilian career.  I am looking at joining on of the two engineering units to help pay and get more experience in the industry.

I don't feel bad about being a NCM, especially as the recruiters (just before telling me the units were closing for the summer) suggested I could qualify as semi-skilled.  But I am most interested in developing my leadership and management abilities. 

Offline reboog

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 16:44:56 »
Just wanted to update this thread:

I just finished week 11 of BMOQ (did the 13km ruck march, casualty drag, trench dig yesterday) and I'm looking to start CAP in February. So no, it clearly not holding an engineering degree didn't handicap my application.

Offline cupper

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Nuke 'em 'til they glow, then wait until dark.
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 18:24:54 »
Just wanted to update this thread:

I just finished week 11 of BMOQ (did the 13km ruck march, casualty drag, trench dig yesterday) and I'm looking to start CAP in February. So no, it clearly not holding an engineering degree didn't handicap my application.

In your own specific case.

As noted by a previous post, there still could be a possibility for someone else in the same circumstances.

Info on the Engr Officer trade can be found here.

http://www.forces.ca/en/job/engineeringofficer-21#info-1

Let's put it this way.  If there are 2 positions open, and 3 candidates putting in an application. 2 of the candidates have the preferred university degree while the third does not.  This will hurt the person without the preferred degree. Is it impossible to get into the Engr Officer trade without an engineering degree? No. Is it more difficult? According to the requirements, yes.
It's hard to win an argument against a smart person, it's damned near impossible against a stupid person.

There is no God, and life is just a myth.

"He who drinks, sleeps. He who sleeps, does not sin. He who does not sin, is holy. Therefore he who drinks, is holy."

Let's Go CAPS!

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 17:19:01 »
Saw this in Ask a CAF Recruiter. Adding here for future reference,

Good Day,

At current (effective 5 June 2013) the published academic entry standards for Direct Entry Engineering Officer are:

Ideal
     Bachelor of Engineering:
          * Civil
          * Environmental
          * Geomatics
Acceptable
     Bachelor of Engineering:
          * Aerospace/Aeronautical
          * Chemical
          * Computer/Computer Systems
          * Electrical
          * Engineering Physics
          * Mechanical
     Bachelor of Science:
          * Applied Math
          * Applied/General Science
          * Computer Science
          * Environmental Science
          * Math
          * Math and Physics
          * Physics
          * Space Sciences

Best Regards,
Sgt Laen
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 17:21:56 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 12:14:47 »
Asked and answered in Ask a CAF Recruiter. Adding for reference,

Engineer Officer Degree 
http://milnet.ca/forums/index.php/topic,123252.msg1438943/topicseen.html#new
Q: "I was wondering if there is a specific engineering degree required to be an Engineer Officer, or if I could study any form of engineering and still be able to be an Engineer Officer."

A: "If you are talking about applying for ROTP then you have a broad spectrum of BEng degrees which are acceptable: civil, chemical, aerospace, computer, electrical, environmental, geomatics, mechanical.  In addition you can also take a BSc in math, physics, computer science, environmental science, space sciences."

« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 12:49:55 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww