Author Topic: Reserves and Deployment  (Read 30147 times)

Offline Golkarian

• Rate Post
Reserves and Deployment
« on: September 06, 2011, 18:33:08 »
Do reserves ever get deployed and how likely is it? I ask because I'm interested in peacekeeping (which some of you might view as a waste of time, but that would be a different topic), but would like to join the reserves so I can pursue a civilian career as well. Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 08:40:40 by kratz »

MikeL

Re: Reserves and Deployment
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 18:47:52 »
This has been asked and answered a few times already.  Here is your one and only spoon feeding.

Yes Reservists can be deployed, but they volunteer for deployments. 

Also, I don't know if you've been watching the news or not, but there hasn't been a major UN/NATO Peace Keeping type mission in awhile.. it's all been about Combat Operations in Afghanistan, and now recently a training mission in Afghanistan.  As well as the Combat Operations being conducted over Libya.

Now go, and read around the forums, as well as educate yourself on Canadian deployments this past decade on news websites and DND/Canadian Forces websites, etc.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 18:50:28 by -Skeletor- »

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 19:15:28 »
Also, I don't know if you've been watching the news or not, but there hasn't been a major UN/NATO Peace Keeping type mission in awhile..
Well actually, Canada has troops participating in seven of the 15 current UN ops. There are two more spooling up associated with Sudan and South Sudan, which will include Canadian participation.

Yes, amongst my five deployments, I did 10 months in Afghanistan; but I try not to write-off everything that wasn't my tour.

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 19:24:13 »
Well actually, Canada has troops participating in seven of the 15 current UN ops. There are two more spooling up associated with Sudan and South Sudan, which will include Canadian participation.

Good luck getting on those if you're not an officer though... I've seen some of the CFTPO bricks, Capt and above.

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 19:26:43 »
Well, the OP never specified rank, just Reserves   ;)

MikeL

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 19:28:50 »

Yes, amongst my five deployments, I did 10 months in Afghanistan; but I try not to write-off everything that wasn't my tour.

I meant operations with large amount of troops.  As far as I know, the current peace keeping missions are rather small scale.   As well, I don't believe there are many positions for Jr NCMs on those operations. - Other posts by the OP show that he wants to join as a Med Tech.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 20:11:00 by -Skeletor- »

Online Scott

- apparently an antagonist.

• Likes fire and loud noises.
  • Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 19:30:32 »
It's not a recruiting thread, hence JM's needing to reply and be heard ;)

Be nice for no reason.

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 20:01:42 »
Well, the OP never specified rank, just Reserves   ;)

Good point.

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 21:51:05 »
Do reserves ever get deployed and how likely is it? I ask because I'm interested in peacekeeping (which some of you might view as a waste of time, but that would be a different topic), but would like to join the reserves so I can pursue a civilian career as well. Thanks.

Go here to see the current missions http://www.comfec-cefcom.forces.gc.ca/pa-ap/ops/index-eng.asp

Few, if any, are what you would consider classic blue beret peacekeeping missions, a al Bosnia & Cyprus.

As stated, Reserves have to volunteer for deployment as opposed to being ordered to go. Even if you joined as an officer, it'd be a long time before you ever got in a position to get loaded to one of the current missions.

Although the military is always full of non sensical suprises that no expects. So never say never.

All the rest is fly crap\ pepper nause.
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.”

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline Mainz

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 09:44:22 »
I am a Naval Reservist currently on a six month deployment here at Camp Eggers in Kabul, Afghanistan.
There are other reservists here, all of whom, as stated in this thread, volunteered.

Offline FlyingDutchman

• Rate Post
  • I Need To Run More
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 10:00:32 »
Thanks for the link recce, I was looking for something like that.

EDIT: and I echo what others have said, you volenteer.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 10:12:42 by FlyingDutchman »
"Let them eat cake."
"But I wanted a muffin!"

Offline FlyingDutchman

• Rate Post
  • I Need To Run More
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 14:43:10 »
They might be able to deploy you if the emergiancies act is used, but s*** would have to hit the fan for that to happen.  Anyone have a concrete answer to that?
"Let them eat cake."
"But I wanted a muffin!"

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 14:57:23 »
They might be able to deploy you if the emergiancies act is used, but s*** would have to hit the fan for that to happen.  Anyone have a concrete answer to that?

Per the National Defence Act:

32. (2) The reserve force, all units and other elements thereof and all officers and non-commissioned members thereof

(a) may be ordered to train for such periods as are prescribed in regulations made by the Governor in Council; and

(b) may be called out on service to perform any lawful duty other than training at such times and in such manner as by regulations or otherwise are prescribed by the Governor in Council.

(Subsection (3) to the above places further restrictions on the ability to mobilize the Supplementary Reserve)

A full mobilization of the Reserve Force would require placing all Reservists on "Active Service" per s31 of the NDA.  At this time, an order-in-council from 1989 has placed all members of the Regular Force on Active service, and all members of the Reserve Force on Active Service when outside Canada.

This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline matthew709

• Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 09:07:41 »
hey there, just a few questions.

1. can a reserve infantry volunteer for any deployment that Canada is involved in. or does the government only request reserves when necessary, and then they can volunteer for the deployment.

2. how does a reserve infantry go about volunteering for one of the current UN deployments. I assume its a bit different of a process.

3. once accepted into the reserves. how long would it take for me to be able to volunteer to be deployed. (aside from training that would be then done for the specific deployment)

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 10:07:15 »
If there is a requirement for reserve augmentation, the chain of command will seek volunteers.

To be deployable, you must be at least 18 years of age, and must have reached the Occupational Functional Point - OFP.  That is, you must have successfully completed the common military and occupation-specific training to make you employable in your military trade.  That is the bare minimum; additional qualifications may make your candidacy more appealing.

The precise requriements vary from deployment to deployment; sometimes we want infantrymen; sometimes we want logistics officers; sometimes we want generic staff officers.  The short answer is: it depends.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication

Offline X_para76

• Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 21:12:11 »
If there is a requirement for reserve augmentation, the chain of command will seek volunteers.

To be deployable, you must be at least 18 years of age, and must have reached the Occupational Functional Point - OFP.  That is, you must have successfully completed the common military and occupation-specific training to make you employable in your military trade.  That is the bare minimum; additional qualifications may make your candidacy more appealing.

The precise requriements vary from deployment to deployment; sometimes we want infantrymen; sometimes we want logistics officers; sometimes we want generic staff officers.  The short answer is: it depends.

To piggy back off dapaterson's answer you also need to be merited high enough by your unit that they would submit you as a candidate for deployment over other members. 
"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it." Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Offline SurgicalError

• Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 12:24:38 »
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum and have searched around for an answer to this question for a while now, but don't really know what keywords to search, as none of my efforts have been fruitful so far.

Here goes...

I am currently in my third year of university, and am looking to join the Toronto Police Service after I am done school in 1.5 years. Recently, I spoke to a buddy of mine who was in the QOR and is pursuing the same path as I. His story lead me to checking out the reserves, and I am now very interested in joining. I already went and spoke to a recruiter, but I was having difficulty thinking of questions on the spot. My main question is as follows; In what scenario is a reserve infantryman obligated to deploy (involuntary). I have been told that if we go to war, I will have to ship out and fight, but I'm not really sure what that means. Did reserves have to involuntarily ship out to Afghanistan at any point?

Again, I'm sorry if this has already been answered, but I did search and couldn't find it.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 12:53:03 »
Reserves are 'voluntary', period.  The Reserves are NOT 'involuntarily' sent on foreign, nor domestic, deployments.  All Reservists who deployed to Afghanistan, or any other foreign deployment, have done so voluntarily.

It would take an Act of Parliament to 'activate' Reserve units in times of 'Total War', such as WW II, for deployment outside of Canada.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline SurgicalError

• Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2014, 12:53:49 »
Thanks George, that's really good to know

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • WordPress Page
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2014, 13:55:37 »
Reserves are 'voluntary', period.  The Reserves are NOT 'involuntarily' sent on foreign, nor domestic, deployments.  All Reservists who deployed to Afghanistan, or any other foreign deployment, have done so voluntarily.

It would take an Act of Parliament to 'activate' Reserve units in times of 'Total War', such as WW II, for deployment outside of Canada.

Wrong! Wrong! and indirectly, partially right.

The National Defence Act has several key sections that provide for the terms of service for reservists which DO include obligatory service.

S 31 allows the Governor in Council (i.e. cabinet) to place individuals and units (including reservists) on Active Service for the defence of Canada or in support of UN or NATO obligations;

S 33(2)(a) and QR&O 9.04(2) provide for those circumstances where reservists and their units may be ordered to train;

S 33(2)(b) allows the GiC to call out reservists and their units to provide any lawful duty other than training and make regulations to that effect. QR&O 9.04(3) is such a regulation that provides that the Minister of Defence may do so in the event of an emergency which is defined to include war, invasion, riot or insurrection whether real or apprehended;

S 275 provides that the CF (including reservists or units) may be called out for service in aid of the civil power

All of these are provisions already enacted in the NDA and may be triggered by the GiC or the Minister as set out in the individual sections. All of these are obligatory service and NOT voluntary.

That said, the practice at least since Korea, or even earlier has been NOT to use these provisions but to rely on reservists individually volunteering their service.

The point is however that a common practice, even a long standing one, can be changed at the drop of the hat with the right Minister, cabinet and situation without the need for any action by parliament at all.

Don't let the above worry you as far as joining the reserves and the police at the same time. The chances are extremely slim that you will be required to do anything other than "voluntary" service.

:cheers:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 13:58:11 by FJAG »
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" book series at:
https://wolfriedel.wordpress.com

Offline SurgicalError

• Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2014, 18:26:10 »
So when was the last time that  involuntary deployment was enacted?

Thanks for the detailed answer btw

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2014, 18:47:07 »

That said, the practice at least since Korea, or even earlier has been NOT to use these provisions but to rely on reservists individually volunteering their service.

DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline SurgicalError

• Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2014, 18:47:52 »
Ok thank you George

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2014, 18:50:06 »
Could be slightly out of date (1999) but some interesting reading.......( THE CANADIAN ARMED FORCES:  THE ROLE OF THE RESERVES )

http://publications.gc.ca/collections/Collection-R/LoPBdP/BP/prb9911-e.htm
Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me!  I don't bite........

Offline SurgicalError

• Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2014, 20:23:36 »
Seems like an interesting read. Gonna give it a look over tonight. I'm really liking this forum btw. You guys are all very helpful and quick on the responses too

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2014, 14:19:00 »
So when was the last time that  involuntary deployment was enacted?

The usual simple answer is World War 2.  However, as FJAG mentioned in his detailed, lawyerly post, the practice since Korea, and perhaps earlier, has been to rely on reservists individually volunteering.  The perhaps earlier experience also mostly relied on individuals volunteering for "overseas" active service.  In the months leading up to the declaration of war against Germany in 1939, some units of The Non-Permanent Active Militia (the whole Canadian Army was called the Militia, the Regs being in the Permanent Active Militia) had been placed on active service to guard vital points.  With the mobilization of an Active Service Force that would see overseas service, members of the NPAM (and perhaps the PAM) "re-attested" for the Active Service Force, just as they had for similar overseas service during the Boer War and WW1.  Likely there may have been members of the NPAM who refused to re-attest for the ASF, but I don't have any details about what action would have been taken against such militiamen.  The preceding notwithstanding there were Canadian soldiers who were involuntarily sent overseas later in the war when conscripts (who had previously been told that they would not be sent overseas) were required to meet personnel shortages.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline Canadian J

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2014, 00:53:52 »
Hey everyone,

I am interested in joining the Army Reserve Force but have a question to ask as I seem to have discovered conflicting statements made by the CAF. On the forces.ca website, in particular the webpage entitled "Career Options" under "Part Time", or following this link and clicking "Part Time":

http://www.forces.ca/en/page/careeroptions-123#PartTime-2

It states that "reservists may be asked to serve full time as part of a mission in Canada or overseas. As a reservist, the choice to go is always voluntary." Also, the same webpage states that "Reservists train and work close to home. They do not have to serve overseas, but many choose to do so."

Now looking over the "Queen's regulations and Orders" under Volume I, Chapter 9, Section 1 and also in the National Defence Act, Section 31, both state:

"The Governor in Council may place the Canadian Forces or any component, unit or other element thereof or any officer or non-commissioned member thereof on active service anywhere in or beyond Canada at any time when it appears advisable to do so"

I am unsure which statement is binding. Is the forces.ca webpage lying to me? As a Reserve Force member, is it actually possible to be deployed overseas involuntarily, and or without my consent as the website advocates against? Am I confused with the definition of "Active Service"? Did I miss any exceptions to the above sections?

I look forward to becoming a part of the Army Reserve Force, but before that, I would like clarification on this subject prior to applying.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks to everyone in advance!

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I routinely step in it, but like conflict...
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2014, 11:31:25 »
<Not a CF recruiter>

Yes - you could be involuntarily deployed.  Is it going to happen? No.  Has it happened in the last 50 years? No.

We're talking a full-out, throw down fight that would cause the GOC to enact this power.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Offline Hatchet Man

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2014, 12:28:24 »
Merged (with a few topics, there are still plenty of other ones) and locking since this is not new, nor has anything changed in the last several decades regarding how reserves are deployed/activated etc.  Also friendly reminder, if you aren't a recruiter DON'T answer threads in the ask a recruiter section.

Offline Jonothan751

• Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2017, 23:39:58 »
Hello, I am new to this forum and had a sudden question as I was browsing here. If someone was 16, in the reserves, and a full time high school student, could that person volunteer to go on any operations? Any information would be great thanks

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2017, 23:47:26 »
No-one under the age of 18 can be deployed on overseas operations.

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2017, 23:53:51 »
Specifically, per the National Defence Act:

Limitation on Deployment

Marginal note:Persons under eighteen

34 A person who is under the age of eighteen years may not be deployed by the Canadian Forces to a theatre of hostilities.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/N-5/page-7.html#h-24

Offline Jonothan751

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2017, 00:53:24 »
Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mahir0901

• Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2017, 15:31:09 »
Can you volunteer for deployment in CAF?

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2017, 15:37:26 »
Can you volunteer for deployment in CAF?

Yes.

"Reservists train and work close to home. They do not have to serve overseas, but many choose to do so. Reservists volunteer also support Canadians at home, such as during natural disaster relief operations and sovereignty exercises."
http://www.forces.ca/en/page/careeroptions-123#tab3

"However, in the event of a threat or crisis, you may be asked to serve full-time as part of a mission in Canada or overseas. As a Reservist, the choice to participate is always voluntary."
http://www.forces.ca/en/page/lifeintheforces-75

See also,

Reserves and Deployment
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=102409.0
2 pages.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 18:16:46 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww