Author Topic: Speaking of combats for cadets.....  (Read 52485 times)

Offline formercadet1029

• Rate Post
Speaking of combats for cadets.....
« on: October 27, 2011, 16:53:25 »
Apparently there has been some discussion about some type of corps issued work dress uniform for army cadets that is currently being implemented or will be shortly. From what I understand it will be similar to the old style OD combat uniform, with some minor differences. Anyone know if there is any legitimacy to this or not?

aesop081

Re: Speaking of combats for cadets.....
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 16:57:30 »
This what you are talking about ?

Offline Boysen

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 17:02:18 »
There are combats that have been issued to the CSTC's to replace the old OG107 uniforms. These new uniforms are olive drab with the rank slide in the front and the buttons exposed. Similar to the first version of CADPAT. They have the cadets Canada logo on the left pocket of both the shirt and the pants. It's not clear if these uniforms will be issued to individual corps or not. If a work dress is issued, it would be a good bet that these uniforms will be it.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 17:10:43 by Boysen »
"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." Winston Churchill

Offline Lowlander

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 17:15:53 »
Why is that Cadet in the Cadetpat wearing a CANADA slip-on and crossed swords on his name tape?

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 17:27:34 »
Why is that Cadet in the Cadetpat wearing a CANADA slip-on and crossed swords on his name tape?

His?  Pretty sure that's a female.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Lowlander

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 17:29:50 »
His?  Pretty sure that's a female.

Really?

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Your example, not your opinion, can cause change
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 17:32:40 »
Gender recognition: -1    :facepalm:
There’s nothing more maddening than debating someone who doesn’t know history, doesn’t read books, and frames their myopia as virtue. The level of unapologetic conjecture I’ve encountered lately isn’t just frustrating, it’s retrogressive, unprecedented, and absolutely terrifying.
~Chris Evans

aesop081

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 17:34:45 »

Offline marshall sl

• Rate Post
  • Retired Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 18:22:24 »
  Because that's what the cadet camp issued her? She's on staff as a CSM. Cadets hold most of the NCO positions with a smattering of Reg/Res NCOs and CIC Officers.
The land of hills, glens, and heroes; where the ptarmigan thrives and where the red deer finds shelter; as long as mist hangs o'er the mountains and water runs in the glens, may the deeds of its brave be remembered, and health and victory be with the lads of the Cabar Feidh."

Offline GreenGuy

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 21:12:07 »
Are we talking about the large surplus of combats that CSTC Acadia just got rid of because of the end to the gunners trade?

Offline formercadet1029

• Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 09:53:34 »
I believe the post by Boysen is the version they were discussing, not the kiddy cadpat stuff in the other pic.

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 09:58:50 »
not the kiddy cadpat stuff in the other pic.

::)

I've never been in Cadets, but personally, I think the other uniform looks better.  It's a distinct pattern which would separate the Cadets from the CF.  The other pic looks like someone dressed in old combats purchased at an Army surplus store.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 11:14:22 »
I have to say that the OG uniform is a better choice in my opinion. The digicam version makes them look too much like serving soldiers. I also note that there's no identifying marks on the uniform that tells one they're cadets.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline formercadet1029

• Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 12:27:40 »
I have to say that the OG uniform is a better choice in my opinion. The digicam version makes them look too much like serving soldiers. I also note that there's no identifying marks on the uniform that tells one they're cadets.
I'd have to agree with you on this. Plus, after reading reviews of the kiddy cadpat as far as functionality goes, it's made of something similar to denim that doesn't dry very quickly, which makes it impractical for field use.

Offline rmc_wannabe

• CADPAT Computer Nerd
  • Rate Post
  • NTLDR is missing, PRESS Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 12:49:48 »
I agree that there is no requirement for Cadets to have camoflauge pattern uniforms and the material should be quick drying, however we all have to face the reality that the OG uniforms are starting to run out of stock and are in varying states of repair. Something new, cost effective, and practical needs to make its way into the system that has staying power before these kids look like patchwork nightmares.

I wonder if anyone has come up with the idea of the Cadet movement adopting a work dress/field dress as their standard issue rather than the dress uniforms. Functionality for an organization should trump Buttons and Bows sometimes. Right?  :worms:
"One of the most feared expressions in modern times is 'The computer is down.'"
 -Norman Ralph Augustine

Offline Boysen

• Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2011, 13:12:36 »
I agree that there is no requirement for Cadets to have camoflauge pattern uniforms and the material should be quick drying, however we all have to face the reality that the OG uniforms are starting to run out of stock and are in varying states of repair. Something new, cost effective, and practical needs to make its way into the system that has staying power before these kids look like patchwork nightmares.

I wonder if anyone has come up with the idea of the Cadet movement adopting a work dress/field dress as their standard issue rather than the dress uniforms. Functionality for an organization should trump Buttons and Bows sometimes. Right?  :worms:

The picture I posted is the solution to the OG107 running out. These are brand new uniforms, not revamped old OG's. The quality seems comparable to CADPAT and is far quicker drying then the CADETPAT. It also has the added bonus of not making the cadets look like US Marines.
"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." Winston Churchill

Offline rmc_wannabe

• CADPAT Computer Nerd
  • Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2011, 13:42:57 »
The picture I posted is the solution to the OG107 running out. These are brand new uniforms, not revamped old OG's. The quality seems comparable to CADPAT and is far quicker drying then the CADETPAT. It also has the added bonus of not making the cadets look like US Marines.

Really? Cause that certainly looks like revamped OGs to me... maybe its just a bad photo.  ::)
 -Norman Ralph Augustine

Offline Boysen

• Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2011, 13:52:28 »
Really? Cause that certainly looks like revamped OGs to me... maybe its just a bad photo.  ::)

These uniforms have been used at Vernon for a couple summers now so they're not looking brand new anymore.

Offline rmc_wannabe

• CADPAT Computer Nerd
  • Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2011, 14:03:31 »
These uniforms have been used at Vernon for a couple summers now so they're not looking brand new anymore.

Ah and there is the reality there.

What is the replenishment cycle looking like for these "new" uniforms? Has a contract been written for x amount of uniforms per year to replace the old ones? Is this all just a jerry-rigged solution (much like  CADETPAT) to a long standing issue until something more permanent comes along?
 -Norman Ralph Augustine

Offline Boysen

• Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2011, 14:16:38 »
No idea on any timeline for the new uniforms. Just a lot of rumor and speculation. What I do know is that they have been issued at all the army cadet camps across Canada and they have the Cadets Canada logo embroidered on them. That leads me to think that these are more official then the CADETPAT.

Offline quadrapiper

• Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2011, 14:48:32 »
...and they have the Cadets Canada logo embroidered on them.
A logo that was never supposed to, when introduced, end up on any uniform items.

Yet here we are today with the Maple Leaf Swoosh on all three element's parkas, and now Army Cadet field kit. Bloody wonderful.

Offline Boysen

• Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2011, 14:51:35 »
A logo that was never supposed to, when introduced, end up on any uniform items.

Yet here we are today with the Maple Leaf Swoosh on all three element's parkas, and now Army Cadet field kit. Bloody wonderful.

If that's what it takes to get army cadets issued combats, I can live with it.  :P

Offline Bomb Disposal Bob

• Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2011, 00:19:05 »
My solution, Have A Velcro patch on the sleeve where you would put the the RCACC logo on it and the corps identification, get rid of the crossed swords, and replace Canada with Cadet.(note. they have the CADETPAT slip on's which read "Cadet" why they were not issued with the kit is beyond me.)  I'm just shooting out ideas.
Nos Mos viam invenient - We Will Find A Way.

Offline my72jeep

• It is the duty of all canadians to be prepared to defend thier country
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2011, 09:23:43 »
We had them at Blackdown in 2011 after the 4-5 washing they start to fade from greem to pink. must be a dye lot issue.
MA Davidson CD
Wawa,Ont.
Army.ca coin #53

Offline Pugsley

• Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2011, 17:49:30 »
I also note that there's no identifying marks on the uniform that tells one they're cadets.

Simple fix with the cadet rank slip-ons.