Author Topic: BMQ / BMOQ - Personal Electronics during course [MERGED]  (Read 601714 times)

Offline cleisure123

• Rate Post
BMOQ
« Reply #550 on: December 10, 2017, 16:53:08 »
Hi everyone,

I am very new at this, so I apologize if I get any terms wrong.
My significant other will be going to BMOQ January 13th.  I know there is a strict rule for the indoctrination period such as new visits or cellphones.
I was wondering if these rules about the cellphone are true? Someone told me that it depends on how your group is, and sometimes during that first month you might have access to your cellphone only at night for a very very short period of time. Do any of you know? From experience?

Second, if they cannot be used, can phone calls be made using the base phone?
Third, can letters be sent back and forth during that first month?

This is all very new to me so I am just wondering!

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: BMOQ
« Reply #551 on: December 10, 2017, 16:58:09 »
I was wondering if these rules about the cellphone are true? Someone told me that it depends on how your group is, and sometimes during that first month you might have access to your cellphone only at night for a very very short period of time. Do any of you know? From experience?

"•Phones can be used on weeknights after training has concluded but no earlier than 6:00 pm. Reasonable usage should be restricted to communications with family and friends;"
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/training-establishments/recruit-school-basic-training.page

Extra Kit on BMQ ? Cameras, Cell Phones, Laptops.. 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=12730.75
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 17:06:20 by mariomike »

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
« Reply #552 on: December 10, 2017, 21:20:01 »
Hi everyone,

I am very new at this, so I apologize if I get any terms wrong.
My significant other will be going to BMOQ January 13th.  I know there is a strict rule for the indoctrination period such as new visits or cellphones.

Second, if they cannot be used, can phone calls be made using the base phone?
Third, can letters be sent back and forth during that first month?

This is all very new to me so I am just wondering!

(I’m NCM, not Officer. But I’ve heard all the same applies for what I’m about to say.)

Cell phone usage and the level of strictness imposed by the staff varies from pl to pl.

There will be times when phone usage/contact will be cut-off completely for at least a few days. (I.e field, punishment, etc.)

There are payphones on every floor. Phone cards can be purchased. When/if the recruit/cadet gets to use them if cell phones are confiscated varies.

You can mail letters to your SO at any point. When they get them and whether or not they’ll have a chance to respond varies. (Mail has to get sorted and dispersed once it arrives to the school.)

Every platoon is run differently. While all platoons will more or less experience the same inconveniences at one point or another, it’s up to the staff how strict they decide to be with certain things during course.
"Stop worrying about getting back to who you were before it all went wrong. To heal is to understand that the person you've since become is the one who's most capable of doing whatever it is you were put here to do."~SR

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 21:45:52 by mariomike »

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #554 on: December 15, 2017, 15:48:52 »
Quote from: BeyondTheNow
There will be times when phone usage/contact will be cut-off completely for at least a few days. (I.e field, punishment, etc.)

Or two weeks  :tsktsk:
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
« Reply #555 on: December 16, 2017, 13:05:21 »
Or two weeks  :tsktsk:

Yep, this is true. My usage of “...at least...” covers the bare minimum there.

Side note: Tbh, I’m a little unsympathetic with the electronics issue while on course. I have a child, I have a family, I have friends, etc., so I know the feeling. I did my research and when it came time to head out I prepared everyone for the possibility that they may not hear from me for the duration. Why? Because I had no idea, other than reading about other’s accounts, what it was going to be like. I simply chose to prepare for worst-case scenario. That way, there are no false expectations or hurt feelings for anyone else or for me. It was just easier.
"Stop worrying about getting back to who you were before it all went wrong. To heal is to understand that the person you've since become is the one who's most capable of doing whatever it is you were put here to do."~SR

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: BMQ / BMOQ - Personal Electronics during course [MERGED]
« Reply #556 on: December 16, 2017, 13:20:11 »
I'd take cell phones away for a month if I could, or at the very least lock them up during the week (and on weekends when recruits are confined to base).   :nod:

Another thing that works is making a small 9 foot by 9 foot "box" out of pickets and mine tape and only let students use their cellphones in that "secure" box.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
« Reply #557 on: December 16, 2017, 13:26:57 »
I'd take cell phones away for a month if I could, or at the very least lock them up during the week (and on weekends when recruits are confined to base).   :nod:

Another thing that works is making a small 9 foot by 9 foot "box" out of pickets and mine tape and only let students use their cellphones in that "secure" box.

I think you were one of my instructors.  ;D  ;)

Offline TPrudhomme96

• Rate Post
« Reply #558 on: December 22, 2017, 08:34:12 »
I just enlisted and am waiting on a job offer. I'm not up to speed on military terms and was just wondering what VR'd means? I saw somebody post about how allowing recruits to have their cellphones reduced the VR rate by 66% so I was curious.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 08:47:36 by TPrudhomme96 »

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #559 on: December 22, 2017, 08:39:59 »
"Just wondering what VR'd means?"

Voluntary Release

Offline dangerboy

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #560 on: December 22, 2017, 08:40:08 »
Just wondering what VR'd means?

In this case VR means Voluntary Release.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 08:41:08 by mariomike »
All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us... they can't get away this time.
- Lt Gen Lewis B. Puller, USMC