Author Topic: Cdn Airborne Arty in Afghanistan (from: Airborne Engineers)  (Read 26213 times)

Offline Hax24

• Rate Post
Cdn Airborne Arty in Afghanistan (from: Airborne Engineers)
« on: February 20, 2013, 18:51:12 »
One of my friends has a cousin who is a Seargent in artillery, not sure which unit, though. He has airborne training and is in a makeshift unit with a few other airborne-trained artillerymen, and they have parachuted numerous times on tour in Afghanistan with pieces of artillery for quick deployment.

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: Cdn Airborne Arty in Afghanistan (from: Airborne Engineers)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 18:56:44 »
One of my friends has a cousin who is a Seargent in artillery, not sure which unit, though. He has airborne training and is in a makeshift unit with a few other airborne-trained artillerymen, and they have parachuted numerous times on tour in Afghanistan with pieces of artillery for quick deployment.

:pop:

Offline chowchow1

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 20:55:13 »

Oh my... ummm... well.... Ive got nothing.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 21:17:26 »

*Sigh* Someone has to say it, so I will:

Bull.

Either your friend is lying, or he has been lied to. That's so far form any conceivable truth that I cannot imagine it being a simple misunderstanding of something that is factual. Sorry dude.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline 57Chevy

widower.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 21:41:35 »
airborne training .... in a makeshift unit

:rofl:

Offline Hax24

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 22:17:10 »
Sorry I'm applying to reserves, I'm not in the army yet so I don't know how everything works. Is it not possible that artillerymen can parachute with equipment?

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 22:31:18 »
Sorry I'm applying to reserves, I'm not in the army yet so I don't know how everything works. Is it not possible that artillerymen can parachute with equipment?

Oh no, there absolutely are jump capable artillery units in the world, with suitably light equipment that could be airdropped. But there sure as hell have not been Canadian artillery parachuting into remote locations in Afghanistan. There's haven't been canadian *anyone* parachuting in Afghanistan, with the possible exception of special operations forces that you or I would never be privy to the details of. But even there, I highly suspect not.

Don't worry, nobody's faulting you for not knowing. Someone people just like to tell stories that are inaccurate at best or complete fabrications at worst. I've never been able to figure that out.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 22:32:06 »
Is it not possible that artillerymen can parachute with equipment?
Perhaps Brihard was unclear.

Artillerymen have parachuted, marrying-up with their artillery pieces and their ammo, and providing fire support. Sometimes, in sunny places like Dien Bien Phu, they got more ammunition dropped to them so they could carry on in their fun & games.

So yes, it's more than "possible."   Clear so far?

Now, did we have "a makeshift unit" (with or without "a few other airborne-trained artillerymen"?  NO

Did any Canadians parachute in Afghanistan ("numerous times" or otherwise)?   NO

Nod if you understand that if there was no "makeshift unit of airborne-trained artillerymen," and no parachute ops in Afghanistan, then that pretty much negates whether or not there were "pieces of artillery for quick deployment," right?

To sum up, what Brihard meant to say is, your friend and/or his cousin are two-faced lying bull-shitters.

Is that clear enough?   [Here you nod again  :nod: ]

Edit: his response was quicker because:  a) he's polite, and  b) he didn't use colours.   ;)

Offline Hax24

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 22:38:16 »
Alrighty, sorry about that. I'll ask him again and see what he has to say this time.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 22:47:24 »
Alrighty, sorry about that. I'll ask him again and see what he has to say this time.

Typically, the bullshitters at the origin of such stories will just try to weasel out of committing to any details- or they'll pull some nonsense like 'Well of COURSE those guys wouldn't know about it. It was a secret after all.'

Either way, anyone telling a story of doing airborne drops in Afghanistan as part of the CF is talking out of his arse. The only jump I'm aware of in Afghanistan was the American 75th Ranger Regiment in 2001.

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 23:58:19 »
Is it conceivable that the original story was of airmobile arty ops as opposed to airborne arty ops but that the distinction was lost in the telephone game?

Offline Hax24

• Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 15:55:45 »
No the story was definitely that his artilleryman cousin was parachuting with pieces of artillery.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 16:36:59 »
No the story was definitely that his artilleryman cousin was parachuting with pieces of artillery.

Then it is a complete fiction.

Online NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME STAFF
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 16:45:16 »
And if I am not mistaken our current guns are not "jump" capable.......
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline GnyHwy

• is a pragmatic optimist.
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • GO GUNS!!!
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 17:28:52 »
And if I am not mistaken our current guns are not "jump" capable.......

Tee hee.  Anything is jump capable as long as you have the right mechanics waiting on the ground. 

Here is a vid of dropping 2 x 777s. It doesn't show the landing, so not sure how it turned out. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gXq0-A9Xxw

In this video at the 2:39 it shows something being dropped, and by the length you could assume it's a 777.  Unfortunately it doesn't show the landing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzxT9kXDx4g

Maybe the OPs buddy is in the vid.  Kind of like where's Waldo  ;D

Offline 57Chevy

widower.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 17:37:10 »
....and note that nobody is strapped to those guns, nor jumping with them, ;D

Offline Jammer

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 17:44:55 »
Our 777s did get lifted around the AOR a few times though...

When 450 Sqn gets thier shiny new Shithooks I'm sure this will be one task that 2 Horse will be keen to exercise.
What could possibly go wrong?

Online NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME STAFF
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 18:27:06 »
Tee hee.  Anything is jump capable as long as you have the right mechanics waiting on the ground. 

Here is a vid of dropping 2 x 777s. It doesn't show the landing, so not sure how it turned out. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gXq0-A9Xxw

In this video at the 2:39 it shows something being dropped, and by the length you could assume it's a 777.  Unfortunately it doesn't show the landing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzxT9kXDx4g

Maybe the OPs buddy is in the vid.  Kind of like where's Waldo  ;D

Thanks Gny, I was not aware .....
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Online Bzzliteyr

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2013, 10:46:54 »
I don't have anything from the thread this was split from but has anyone suggested that the brother's cousin's sister's uncle's friend might have been an American artilleryman?
Adsum

UNPROFOR, CPSM, Canadian Forces Commander Land Force Command Commendation (Bosnia 1993), Canadian Decoration, General Campaign Star - ISAF

Offline Danjanou

• Reporting from Goat Rodeo Central
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Butt Party NCO on the 81mm Mortar Range
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 11:13:44 »

Sounds like you need to out the Walting *******.  8)

http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Walts
NASA spent $12 Million designing a pen that could write in the zero gravity environment of space. The Russians went with pencils.

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 11:22:41 »
.....might have been an American artilleryman?
I don't know of any ad hoc US 'fire support-R-us' type organizations, and I was pretty well situated to have heard about such a group.

"When you've eliminated the impossible".....I'm sticking with the BS premise.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 11:34:54 »

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 14:21:52 »
Anything can be air dropped.

At least once.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

MikeL

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2013, 16:11:31 »
The only jump I'm aware of in Afghanistan was the American 75th Ranger Regiment in 2001.

Elements of 3rd Battalion,  75th Ranger Regiment jumped into Kandahar 19 Oct 2001
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Rhino

Raid on Kandahar

While the campaign was under way in the north, U.S. forces also struck in the southern part of the country in the heart of the Taliban movement near Kandahar. On the night of 19-20 October Rangers and other Special Operations Forces (SOF) soldiers conducted airborne and air assault operations against several sites in Kandahar. Four MC-130 aircraft dropped 199 Rangers of the 3d Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment (-), onto a desert landing strip southwest of Kandahar, code-named Objective RHINO. Assisted by circling AC-130 Spectre gunships, the Rangers quickly secured their objective. Then the soldiers and attached psychological operations (PSYOP) loudspeaker teams moved toward a nearby enemy compound and cleared it without resistance. Having secured the landing zone, they assisted follow-on helicopter forces of SOF soldiers that had additional raids to conduct in the area. In all, the Rangers and SOF soldiers spent almost five-and-a-half hours on the ground with only a few minor injuries. Although the tactical results of the raid were mixed, the Taliban was shown that U.S. forces could strike anywhere and anytime and that no location in Afghanistan was a safe haven any longer. Later, when U.S. marines landed in that same area on 25 November, they would establish a new base on the Ranger landing zone, called Camp RHINO.
http://www.history.army.mil/brochures/Afghanistan/Operation%20Enduring%20Freedom.htm

After the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, 3rd Ranger Battalion was deployed to Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.  On the night of Oct. 19, 2001 portions of Companies A and C conducted a daring low-level parachute assault onto Objective Rhino, a desert airfield in south-western Afghanistan, in order to capture key logistical information.  During follow-on missions, forces from Company B, 3rd Battalion accomplished a successful night parachute assault into Bastogne Drop Zone to secure a desert landing strip in support of a special operations raid.
http://www.goarmy.com/ranger/heritage/third-ranger-battalion.html

70 Paratroopers from B Co, 3rd Battalion, 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 82nd Airborne Division conducted a combat jump in Afghanistan in February 2003
http://www.blackfive.net/main/2004/05/recently_declas.html
http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=38139

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2013, 20:15:04 »
A few countries have done para drops in Afghanistan.  Canadian arty has done none.