Author Topic: We get the governments we deserve, don't we?  (Read 29985 times)

Offline Humphrey Bogart

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: We get the governments we deserve, don't we?
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2015, 17:42:52 »
I left this reply in the comments section of the Ottawa Citizen :facepalm:

I now await unemotional, factual and educational responses from members of PSAC. :warstory: [/sarcasm]

"Hmmm, how soon PSAC forgets those rosey times under the Liberals. When they had to sue them for stealing their pension trusts. Discriminatory employers, public and private, that had been given confidence to continue pay discrimination by the actions of the Chrétien Liberals, even after writing to PSAC president Daryl Bean promising to abide by the tribunal decision. Chrétien wrote: “Equal pay for work of equal value became a right with the passage of the Canadian Human Rights Act, a right that does not begin and end on the whim of the Tory government.” Another Liberal lie affecting PSAC. These aren't one offs. The misappropriation of funds, the broken promises and outright lies are massive and legendary..

Guess what PSAC, those same guys are back in charge as the PM designate's handlers, policy and speech writers as well as spokespersons for the Liberals once again. You failed to learn from history, you're now doomed to repeat it. Have fun."

Nice fire across the broadside I must say!  :warstory:

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5620.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2015, 17:54:38 »
Nice fire across the broadside I must say!  :warstory:

Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline Jed

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2015, 17:59:39 »
I would have been shocked if they had responded like adults.  Their response is true to form.

Yep, low class. I doubt that the next 4 years of government by the Liberals will be enough to alter the mindset though. One can only hope.
As the old man used to say: " I used to be a coyote, but I'm alright nooooOOOOWWW!"

jollyjacktar

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2015, 20:37:34 »
Yep, low class. I doubt that the next 4 years of government by the Liberals will be enough to alter the mindset though. One can only hope.

Not likely in my personal opinion.  They are blind to reality, after all they did vote in their Liberal ancestors time and time again.

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5620.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2015, 22:17:40 »
It appears my comment was deleted, so I reposted it and also sent it to my FB page ;D

Offline cavalryman

Done with the demented bureaucracy.

• You can't put a pricetag on patriotism
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2015, 22:54:12 »
It appears my comment was deleted, so I reposted it and also sent it to my FB page ;D

Shame on you, contradicting the narrative like that.  >:D

BTW, I had to spend some time with the PSAC president circa 2007 - a Marxist Scotsman of the finest vintage.  Probably immigrated to Canada during the Thatcher years.  Still had a Glaswegian accent thick enough to create its own smokescreen.

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5620.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2015, 00:58:31 »
Shame on you, contradicting the narrative like that.  >:D

BTW, I had to spend some time with the PSAC president circa 2007 - a Marxist Scotsman of the finest vintage.  Probably immigrated to Canada during the Thatcher years.  Still had a Glaswegian accent thick enough to create its own smokescreen.

You mean like every top position for almost every union in B.C. ;D

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2015, 08:59:48 »
The Toronto Sun says, "Today's The Day!"

Source: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CS-NmDkUsAAd3I9.jpg:large
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2015, 10:02:44 »
I left this reply in the comments section of the Ottawa Citizen :facepalm:

I now await unemotional, factual and educational responses from members of PSAC. :warstory: [/sarcasm]

"Hmmm, how soon PSAC forgets those rosey times under the Liberals. When they had to sue them for stealing their pension trusts. Discriminatory employers, public and private, that had been given confidence to continue pay discrimination by the actions of the Chrétien Liberals, even after writing to PSAC president Daryl Bean promising to abide by the tribunal decision. Chrétien wrote: “Equal pay for work of equal value became a right with the passage of the Canadian Human Rights Act, a right that does not begin and end on the whim of the Tory government.” Another Liberal lie affecting PSAC. These aren't one offs. The misappropriation of funds, the broken promises and outright lies are massive and legendary..

Guess what PSAC, those same guys are back in charge as the PM designate's handlers, policy and speech writers as well as spokespersons for the Liberals once again. You failed to learn from history, you're now doomed to repeat it. Have fun."

I also remember closing of the fish hatcheries, SAR vessels tied to the dock for lack of fuel to name a few. I also remember the relief by many of the PS when those thieving bastards were kicked out of government.

jollyjacktar

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2015, 11:55:21 »
I also remember closing of the fish hatcheries, SAR vessels tied to the dock for lack of fuel to name a few. I also remember the relief by many of the PS when those thieving bastards were kicked out of government.

I am sure that when the day comes that everyone is tired of our new alien overlords, they'll be happy to see the back end of them too.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2015, 12:12:19 »
I accept a change in government, i just find the current lovefest and amnesia of the crowd nauseating. 

jollyjacktar

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2015, 14:19:43 »
Ach, for them it's the arrival of spring once more.  I can understand their glee at seeing their version of sunshine and warm temps.  They've not seen the blackflies, mossies, slugs and hurricane seasons start just yet.  That will come in due course and they'll maybe love spring and summer a little bit less.

Offline cavalryman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2015, 14:24:56 »
Ach, for them it's the arrival of spring once more.  I can understand their glee at seeing their version of sunshine and warm temps.  They've not seen the blackflies, mossies, slugs and hurricane seasons start just yet.  That will come in due course and they'll maybe love spring and summer a little bit less.
I feel a song coming on..... here it is:

Springtime for Justin and Canada 

:nod:

(With apologies to Mel Brooks)

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2015, 14:34:10 »

Since we are the ones paying for the warm sunshine etc, I suspect that it is we who will be subject to blackflies,mossies, slugs and hurricane seasons. The political class has become very adept at insulating themselves and their favoured clients from the effects of their policies.
Dagny, this is not a battle over material goods. It's a moral crisis, the greatest the world has ever faced and the last. Our age is the climax of centuries of evil. We must put an end to it, once and for all, or perish - we, the men of the mind. It was our own guilt. We produced the wealth of the world - but we let our enemies write its moral code.

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2015, 15:18:48 »
Will we have to pay for rainbows and unicorns?
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2015, 15:36:34 »
Hate to rain on your parades Jollyjacktar and Thucydides, but hurricane season is fall! Not spring or summer (unless you count the last little bit at the end of the summer, from time to time).

Just saying.  :dunno:

Offline Furniture

• Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2015, 04:16:29 »
Hate to rain on your parades Jollyjacktar and Thucydides, but hurricane season is fall! Not spring or summer (unless you count the last little bit at the end of the summer, from time to time).

Just saying.  :dunno:

Atlantic Hurricane season runs from June 1st through November 30th, so spring into fall...   ;)

Though I predit this first season will be mild, but come 2017 the cycles of blatent corruption and unkept promises will return us to some typical political storms.

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2015, 07:58:31 »
I thought this thread was about the government, but we can keep the weather analogy going  ;D

First, Weatherdog, some vocabulary: What you refer to  (starting June 1st each year) is what the NOAA and other weather orgs call the "North-Atlantic Tropical Storm Season" because that is when they start to monitor the revolving type depressions along the tropics from Africa and across the Atlantic. If they get big enough to be Tropical Depressions or Tropical Storms and above, they get a name. But in practice, very few of these develop into a hurricane before September*. Rare exceptions exist, like Bob in 1991, which occurred in the last two weeks of August. I think there was another one in the late 1800's that occurred in August also.

The analogy is clear here: This new government will gather little whiffs of scandals and corrupt practices here and there in the summer of their existence and these will slowly develop into larger and larger storms, until by the end (their Autumn, as in their "Fall"), they will be full blown hurricanes that will sweep them away from power.  :nod:

*: Just for info value for people: This year, for instance is a relatively mild Tropical Storm Season. Started with a small one, weak Tropical Storm Andrea on June 5, with first actual hurricane, Henderson, occurring on September 16. 

Offline Furniture

• Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2015, 09:54:08 »
I thought this thread was about the government, but we can keep the weather analogy going  ;D

First, Weatherdog, some vocabulary: What you refer to  (starting June 1st each year) is what the NOAA and other weather orgs call the "North-Atlantic Tropical Storm Season" because that is when they start to monitor the revolving type depressions along the tropics from Africa and across the Atlantic. If they get big enough to be Tropical Depressions or Tropical Storms and above, they get a name. But in practice, very few of these develop into a hurricane before September*. Rare exceptions exist, like Bob in 1991, which occurred in the last two weeks of August. I think there was another one in the late 1800's that occurred in August also.

The analogy is clear here: This new government will gather little whiffs of scandals and corrupt practices here and there in the summer of their existence and these will slowly develop into larger and larger storms, until by the end (their Autumn, as in their "Fall"), they will be full blown hurricanes that will sweep them away from power.  :nod:

*: Just for info value for people: This year, for instance is a relatively mild Tropical Storm Season. Started with a small one, weak Tropical Storm Andrea on June 5, with first actual hurricane, Henderson, occurring on September 16.

I knew exactly what terminology I was using when I refered to it as Hurricane Season... It's the same terminology used by the NOAA's National Hurricane Center... Weather and by extension weather terminology is a bit of thing in my job ;)

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2015, 10:14:46 »
I accept a change in government, i just find the current lovefest and amnesia of the crowd nauseating.

Simple solution - Start reading the Brit, or Polish or Azerbaijani news.

Even their tarts are more interesting.
"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2015, 11:00:49 »
Simple solution - Start reading the Brit, or Polish or Azerbaijani news.

Even their tarts are more interesting.

Always were ... back in the 1970s and 80s pretty much every Brit Officers' Mess had multiple subscriptions to The Sun ... which, to be fair, had excellent sports coverage, but also had ...

... the charming Ms Samantha Fox.

Of course everyone stopped by the table in the Mess ante room to check the cricket or rugby scores, not the well endowed Ms Fox.  :nod:
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline my72jeep

• It is the duty of all canadians to be prepared to defend thier country
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2015, 12:15:50 »

Always were ... back in the 1970s and 80s pretty much every Brit Officers' Mess had multiple subscriptions to The Sun ... which, to be fair, had excellent sports coverage, but also had ...

... the charming Ms Samantha Fox.

Of course everyone stopped by the table in the Mess ante room to check the cricket or rugby scores, not the well endowed Ms Fox.  :nod:
I'll admit I skipped the scores and went straight to Ms Fox.
MA Davidson CD
Wawa,Ont.
Army.ca coin #53

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2015, 12:21:05 »
I'll admit I skipped the scores and went straight to Ms Fox.

Well, no, not really; I mean, the scores were farther back, from about P. 10 and beyond, so Ms Fox was just "on the way," so to speak, and one just happened to stumble upon her, uhhh ... attributes.
----------

Offline cavalryman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2015, 13:18:27 »
There were scores in the Sun?  ???

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2015, 13:31:58 »
There were scores in the Sun?  ???

So I'm told  :nod:  ... rumour has it they were somewhere after the bountiful Ms Fox.
----------