Author Topic: 09 May 2014 - Parade to mark the end of Canadian Ops in Afghanistan  (Read 44577 times)

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
If people will be staying at CRPTC (Connaught Ranges), then the conditions are indeed austere. Of the 5 trailer shacks (on Webley) that once stood there, one had to be demolished recently. The others are in equally bad shape, and generally so occupied on weekends that some PRes BMQ course staff have difficulty getting rooms (some even opted for hootches to solve the issue). This is compounded by the fact that DCRA (a civvy shooting organization) is bumping us in priority on shacks. The other accomodations on site include the Bren Gun temporaries which are so full of dead flies (thousands) and their excrement that nary a soul will stay there. Other options are the cadet shelters, which are basically bunk beds in tarp shelters (8 pers to a shelter IIRC) and permanent shower/toilet facilities meant to accomodate the PRes when LFCA Training Centre Meaford had a det for summer training with their Mod Tent concrete pads. Not exactly the best facilities to prep and wear DEU in a manner fitting for a national parade.

Hopefully it isn't CRPTC, because there will already be a PRes BMQ running out of CRPTC on that weekend which generally takes up a trailer shack on it's own, leaving 3 (or bumping us somewhere else).

You'd almost be better with cots on armoury floors, honestly.

....But they do have a decent Mess Hall.   ;D

It is beyond my comprehension why DND has not torn down those mold infested quarters and built one or two Two Hundred Man shacks like they have in Wainwright, Meaford and even in CTC or even those new "Hotel" style quarters they have built in places like CFB Trenton, CFB Kingston and CFB Petawawa.  With the NORTEL Campus practically across the street and Shirley's Bay across the fence, it would have made sense to have built Single Quarters and Transient Quarters out at Connaught years ago. 
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline acen

• Rate Post
....But they do have a decent Mess Hall.   ;D

It is beyond my comprehension why DND has not torn down those mold infested quarters and built one or two Two Hundred Man shacks like they have in Wainwright, Meaford and even in CTC or even those new "Hotel" style quarters they have built in places like CFB Trenton, CFB Kingston and CFB Petawawa.  With the NORTEL Campus practically across the street and Shirley's Bay across the fence, it would have made sense to have built Single Quarters and Transient Quarters out at Connaught years ago.

Very true about the mess! Better than Normandy Court in my experience. These are the same facilities that made national news a few years ago when they housed WWII vets temporarily for a parade. It does have it's fair share of interesting individuals that call the shacks home permanently though! http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/02/27/military-reservist-charged-with-ottawa-sex-assault

[Edit to replace link with one that is more acceptable.  PM sent to poster.]
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 13:48:23 by George Wallace »

Offline Crispy Bacon

• Banned
  • Rate Post
If people will be staying at CRPTC (Connaught Ranges), then the conditions are indeed austere. Of the 5 trailer shacks (on Webley) that once stood there, one had to be demolished recently. The others are in equally bad shape, and generally so occupied on weekends that some PRes BMQ course staff have difficulty getting rooms (some even opted for hootches to solve the issue). This is compounded by the fact that DCRA (a civvy shooting organization) is bumping us in priority on shacks. The other accomodations on site include the Bren Gun temporaries which are so full of dead flies (thousands) and their excrement that nary a soul will stay there. Other options are the cadet shelters, which are basically bunk beds in tarp shelters (8 pers to a shelter IIRC) and permanent shower/toilet facilities meant to accomodate the PRes when LFCA Training Centre Meaford had a det for summer training with their Mod Tent concrete pads. Not exactly the best facilities to prep and wear DEU in a manner fitting for a national parade.

Hopefully it isn't CRPTC, because there will already be a PRes BMQ running out of CRPTC on that weekend which generally takes up a trailer shack on it's own, leaving 3 (or bumping us somewhere else).

Oh good lord I hope we're not going to be housing the families and dignitaries of Afghanistan soldiers anywhere on Connaught...  :facepalm: That would get us more attention than the conditions in Sochi leading up to the Olympics...

I hope they would, at the very least, put them up in any of the reasonable three-star hotels in downtown Ottawa within a reasonable walking distance of the parade.  There is also still the 40%-vacant Uplands site which has plenty of housing (sans furniture) that could be used for short-term housing.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 13:53:37 by Crispy Bacon »
Banned for registering when already banned, among other things.

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
Families of the fallen, as far as I know, are being put in hotels.

Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post

There will be a few BMQs by that time there.

Cadet weather havens are probably free and empty.  Not quite cots on the armoury floor but pretty close...
Optio

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was

We did something like this in the UK and arranged 'up homers' for the Marines involved. It was fantastic. Many of the guys were 'adopted' by their home stay families and I don't recall any disciplinary issues involved.

Our AFG veterans on the floor in a green maggot? CAF, please make an 'L' with your thumb and forefinger and place it on your forehead ....
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
....it would have made sense.....
        :whistle:

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
        :whistle:

:-[

Sorry.  I posted in haste.

DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
A bit more info ....
Prime Minister Stephen Harper will participate in events marking the National Day of Honour on May 9, 2014, to commemorate and recognize Canada’s military mission in Afghanistan. The Prime Minister will be joined by His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston, Governor General of Canada, and General Thomas J. Lawson, Chief of the Defence Staff. 

Prime Minister Harper today announced that Rick Hansen has agreed to act as emcee for the National Day of Honour.

Rick Hansen is an internationally recognized wheelchair athlete who has raised millions of dollars for spinal chord research, rehabilitation and quality of life initiatives through the Foundation that bears his name. For his athletic prowess and philanthropic endeavours, Mr. Hansen has received numerous accolades, including Companion of the Order of Canada, honorary university degrees and being made an honorary colonel of the Canadian Armed Forces’ Joint Personnel Support Unit.

The National Day of Honour commemorates the service and sacrifice of the members of the Canadian Armed Forces and employees of the Public Service of Canada who served in Afghanistan. It also provides an opportunity to thank family members, friends and all Canadians for their tremendous support. Finally, the day recognizes the sacrifices made by the Families of the Fallen.

The National Day of Honour is being commemorated through a series of events across Canada. In the National Capital Region, the National Ceremony will begin with a parade that will travel from the CanadianWarMuseum to Parliament Hill. This will be followed by two minutes of silence, a two-part fly-by salute and a public viewing of the Afghanistan Memorial Vigil in the Hall of Honour in the Centre Block on Parliament Hill.

During Canada’s 12-year mission in Afghanistan, more than 40,000 brave men and women of the Canadian Armed Forces, along with hundreds of courageous Canadian civilians and international allies, worked to defeat terrorism and give Afghans a chance at a better future. In the course of the mission, terrorist sanctuaries were destroyed, the Afghan security forces were built-up to defend their country, schools were built to allow more children access to education and critical infrastructure has been constructed to enable development and business.

These great achievements came at a significant price. Our country lost lives, including 158 military personnel, one diplomat and a number of civilians in this mission to make the world a safer place. Their sacrifice is one of the many things that continually inspire servicemen and women to push forward and to continue serving their country.

Quick Facts

- On March 12, 2014, Canada marked the conclusion of its military training mission in Afghanistan during a flag lowering ceremony in Kabul. The ceremony also recognized the conclusion of Canada’s current civilian policing mission.
- On March 18, 2014, Prime Minister Harper welcomed home the final contingent of Canadian Armed Forces members from our mission in Afghanistan and declared May 9, 2014 a “National Day of Honour” by Royal Proclamation.
- Canada’s contribution to the mission in Afghanistan began in October 2001 with Operation APOLLO. As part of that operation, HMCS Halifax was directed to detach from the NATO Standing Force Atlantic and to proceed to the Arabian Sea.
- Canada’s engagement in Afghanistan was a whole-of-government effort throughout the entire mission. Since 2001, Canada has deployed members of various departments including the Canadian Armed Forces, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and other police services from across the country, the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development, Correctional Service Canada and the Canada Border Services Agency, to assist Afghans with the provision of governance, justice, human rights and security.
- Canada was part of one of the largest coalitions in history, bringing together 28 NATO allies and 22 partners representing over a quarter of the countries on the planet.
- Since 2011, Canada’s mission in Afghanistan focused on four key areas: investing in the future of Afghans through education and health; advancing security, the rule of law and human rights; promoting regional diplomacy; and delivering humanitarian assistance to the Afghan people.
- The Canadian Armed Forces conducted operations in a number of different roles involving air, land and sea assets. Activities included combat, security, development, support and training operations in varying capacities and regions in Afghanistan.
More details about events in attached backgrounder.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 11:55:40 by milnews.ca »
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Petard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Once a gunner, always a gunner
Like everyone else that's still stumbling around trying to figure out how we're to recognize this event in home locations, the unit I'm with, 56 Fd, has tried to improvise something
We'll be approaching local news seeking their interest in covering this by possibly doing interviews of P Res soldiers from the region that served overseas. From ~100 personnel in the unit, 60 deployed, so there are quite a few stories to be told, but whether or not the media chooses to tell those stories, or focuses instead on the lack of planning and partisan approach of the GoC, of course remains up to the media.

Otherwise, I haven't seen a thing on how this day is to be recognized, if you're not in Ottawa (mitt hootchie gear & DEU)

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Like everyone else that's still stumbling around trying to figure out how we're to recognize this event in home locations, the unit I'm with, 56 Fd, has tried to improvise something
We'll be approaching local news seeking their interest in covering this by possibly doing interviews of P Res soldiers from the region that served overseas. From ~100 personnel in the unit, 60 deployed, so there are quite a few stories to be told, but whether or not the media chooses to tell those stories, or focuses instead on the lack of planning and partisan approach of the GoC, of course remains up to the media.

Otherwise, I haven't seen a thing on how this day is to be recognized, if you're not in Ottawa (mitt hootchie gear & DEU)

Whoever is coming to Ottawa please be aware I am coming as a civilian....strange as that sounds. Hope to meet a few of you there.

Cheers!

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
My guess is they're trying to play it down due to the questionable coverage Harper got in the press as a result of the RCAF post=Libya parade:

Analysis | Is Harper trying to increase Canada's military might?

The federal government paid tribute to its role in the Libya campaign Thursday with a flashy display of military might on Parliament Hill, a ceremony that some observers viewed as a way of declaring Canada's more muscular role on the global stage.

The celebratory event, which was attended by Prime Minister Stephen Harper, Defence Minister Peter MacKay as well as a host of military officials, included a flypast by CF-18 fighter jets, a 21-gun salute and the awarding of a Meritorious Service Cross (Military Division) to Lt.-Gen. Charles Bouchard, the Canadian air force general who commanded the NATO mission in Libya.

Some saw it as a conventional victory parade. "It is a celebration of sorts, there's no question, but it's within military tradition," said Michel Drapeau, a professor of military law at the University of Ottawa, who pointed to similar victory parades held in Canada for V-Day and the Korean War.

But others remarked on how out-of-character the ceremony seemed for a country that for decades has tended to play down its military. Stephen Clarkson, a University of Toronto professor with an expertise in Canadian foreign policy, views the ceremony as an exercise in "self-glorification."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/analysis-is-harper-trying-to-increase-canada-s-military-might-1.1060798

"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
In Windsor, Ontario:

Public service announcement

Civic Day of Honour and Memorial Service

(WINDSOR, ONTARIO)
For Immediate Release

Mayor Eddie Francis has declared 9 May 14 a “Civic Day of Honour” in the City of Windsor. This Proclamation recognizes the obligation of civic acts of remembrance and the City’s commitment to commemorating the service and sacrifices made by members of the Canadian Armed Forces and NATO peacekeepers in Afghanistan, and to recognizing and supporting the friends and families of the fallen.

The “Civic Day of Honour” will be commemorated in Windsor at the Cenotaph in City Hall Square at 1000hrs on 9 May-14 with a reading of the names of the 158 fallen from the Afganistan theatre followed by a moment of silence and a rededication of the Cenotaph to include the addition of the years 2002-2014. An interpretive panel on the grounds of the Cenotaph will also be dedicated to the service and sacrifice of those from our community who have served and sacrificed as a result of the War in Afghanistan.

The “Civic Day of Honour” military unit parade will step off from Dieppe Gardens at 0945hrs, proceed south on Ouellette Avenue to University Avenue, east and onto the parade ground at the Cenotaph square.

The public is invited to gather at the Cenotaph on 9 May-14 to honor all who served Canada and came home; to remember all who served and fell and rest eternally.

I'm going to the parade. The city is making an effort, so will I. I imagine there'll be a luncheon and drinks in the Mess afterwards, so I'll attend that also.

Just for a sandwich and to say hi to some fellow Vets.

Can't hang about though, going turkey hunting for the weekend, starting Fri afternoon  ;D
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.”

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post

But others remarked on how out-of-character the ceremony seemed for a country that for decades has tended to play down its military. Stephen Clarkson, a University of Toronto professor with an expertise in Canadian foreign policy, views the ceremony as an exercise in "self-glorification."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/analysis-is-harper-trying-to-increase-canada-s-military-might-1.1060798

Mr Clarkson is also notable for his ex-wife, who alter went on to some renown in media and political circles...
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Stephen Clarkson, a University of Toronto professor with an expertise in Canadian foreign policy  Liberal Party politics......
Gee, that such a person would say "Harper; bad"......   :boring:

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Mr Clarkson is also notable for his ex-wife, who alter went on to some renown in media and political circles...

..... and associated with certain terrorist organizations

Offline mark-space

• Rate Post

Adrienne Clarkson?! You may be thinking of another Governor-General...

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post

That's rather harsh.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
Adrienne Clarkson?! You may be thinking of another Governor-General...
You might be thinking of the hubby of the GG who had a hard time getting to (but eventually did get to) Afghanistan during her tenure as GG.

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
That's rather harsh.
We only terrorize each other.

And The RCR, Van Doos, Strathconas...... ;)

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
A couple of more developments .....

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Schindler's Lift

• Rate Post
  • http://goo.gl/1E5Ez0
He may have been the first Canadian who lost a limb in Afghanistan to return but he was not the first amputee on a prostetic limb to serve in Afghanistan.  There was one in my Unit on Roto 3.  That in no way takes from his accomplishment and I'm glad to see the representation from those who served and lost so much.

Offline PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
Oops. Wrong one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micha%C3%ABlle_Jean

My bad

Indeed  John Ralston Saul has only ever terrorized us with turgid prose and laboured and tortuous philosophical ramblings....
"The higher the rank, the more necessary it is that boldness should be accompanied by a reflective mind....for with increase in rank it becomes always a matter less of self-sacrifice and more a matter of the preservation of others, and the good of the whole."

Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
I just hope that somebody films and posts the landing of the Chinook on the front lawn of Parliament the evening before.