Author Topic: Recommended high school courses for becoming an engineer officer? (Gr.11 & 12)  (Read 8534 times)

Offline Blake C.

• Rate Post
Hi, I am entering into grade 11 next year and I am choosing courses right now. What courses do you recommend I take for grade 11 and 12 to direct myself into becoming an engineer officer? -Blake

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
What courses do you need to take to be accepted into a university engineering program?
Answer that and you will also answer your question above.

Offline Blake C.

• Rate Post
Thank you.

Offline Drake.Kho

• Rate Post
Basically, you should have the following grade 12 courses.
   - 1 English
   - 2 Sciences
   - 2 Math.
as long as you have these 5 courses, you're pretty much guarantee to be eligible for any university program you may be interested in.
and if you're looking to enter an engineering program it is especially important that you take the 2 science and 2 maths.

high school offers 3 different fields of science (biology, chemistry, and physics) and 3 maths course (calculus and advanced functions, geometry and discrete math, and data management).

from an engineering stand point, it's highly recommended that you take physics and chemistry for your 2 high school grade 12 sciences, as all first year engineering students regardless of program have to take 1st year chemistry and physics. as for the maths, you should really take 'calculus and advanced functions' and 'geometry and discrete math' as you'll have to take both these courses in first year university engineering.
Recruiting Centre: Toronto
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: Officer
Trade Choice 1: Aerospace Engineering
Trade Choice 2: Electrical and Mechanical Engineering
Trade Choice 3:
Application Date (Online): Aug 31, 2013
Documents Received: Sept 12, 2013
First Contact: Sept 17, 2013
CFAT: Nov 21, 2013 *PASSED
Targeted Interview: Nov 21, 2013
Medical: Mar 1, 2017
Interview: Mar 1, 2017
Reliability Screening: Completed
Merit listed: TBD
Position Offered: TBD
Swear In Ceremony: TBD
BMOQ: TD

Offline Blake C.

• Rate Post
Okay! I didn't think anyone would reply anymore I haven't checked this in a while, one issue though is that my highschool only offers calculus, foundations, and apprenticeship/workplace (you are only allowed to choose 1, I went with calculus) so I don't know what to do for the geological/discreet math. (I live in B.C. So out education is uh not super well funded so I'm guessing that's why I don't have as many courses)

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
If you can get into an engineering program at UBC with your chosen high school courses, then those are the ones that you need.  Every province is different, so don't worry about the course list someone from Ontario or Saskatchewan might give you.

Offline Blake C.

• Rate Post
Okay thanks I was a little perplexed there. Teacher strikes are screwing course a lot right now haha

Offline Old EO Tech

• Rate Post
Just to clarify are you looking at being a Combat Engineering Officer or one of the Engineering Officer classifications like EME, AERE, Marine Systems Engineering?  Just asking as it seems you want to be in an Engineering job, but Combat Engineer is not exactly in the same skill set area, they are more like structural engineers in qualifications, though few civilian structural engineers get to blow stuff up as much as Combat Engineers do :-/

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
There is no such thing as combat engineer officer.  The occupation is Engineer.

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Hi, I am entering into grade 11 next year and I am choosing courses right now. What courses do you recommend I take for grade 11 and 12 to direct myself into becoming an engineer officer? -Blake

If you are interested in Engineer Officer through ROTP (ie; RMC/CMR or Civi U), then you would most likely need to pursue an Engineering program.  In order to be accepted into the ROTP Program, you will need to have your Gr 12 HS Diploma leading to University Admission or currently in the process of completing your Gr 12 and an "overall" minimum academic average of "75%".  And "specifically" for entry into an Engineering program:

a.     Engineering candidates must have successfully completed (or be in the process of completing) a grade 12 pre-university English, two grade 12 pre-university Mathematics courses, one of which must be calculus, grade 12 physics and grade 12 chemistry. A mark of 75% must have been achieved in these courses.

So, for your Gr 11 course schedule, you will need to take the necessary Gr 11 courses, which will allow you to enter into the Gr 12 courses mentioned above.  Anything less and you could be out of luck!
Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me!  I don't bite........

Offline Old EO Tech

• Rate Post
There is no such thing as combat engineer officer.  The occupation is Engineer.

You are right as per the actual title of the occupation.  However my point was that there is a distinct  difference between the officer occupation that leads Combat Engineers, and the other officer engineering occupations in the CA/RCAF/RCN.

Offline caocao

• Rate Post
And don't forget Construction Engineers

Offline Blake C.

• Rate Post
Just to clarify are you looking at being a Combat Engineering Officer or one of the Engineering Officer classifications like EME, AERE, Marine Systems Engineering?  Just asking as it seems you want to be in an Engineering job, but Combat Engineer is not exactly in the same skill set area, they are more like structural engineers in qualifications, though few civilian structural engineers get to blow stuff up as much as Combat Engineers do :-/

Yes, I was reffering to the engineer officers in the combat engineering area. Thanks for all the help everyone this is great! Will they still accept me with only precalculus and calculus? Those are the only university math courses offered at my school.

Offline Blake C.

• Rate Post
Also I was wondering do the officers still get to use the detectors and be out with the troops on deployment or do the just operate from the FOB, laying out plans and such?

Offline caocao

• Rate Post
No worries, you will be out there with the troops.

Offline Blake C.

• Rate Post
That's great! I suppose the rifle isn't just for show haha
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 17:28:52 by Blake Castelein »

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Regimental Headquarter Staff
That's great! I suppose the rifle isn't just for show haha

:facepalm:
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline Blake C.

• Rate Post
Sorry that could've been more intelligently/maturely answered by me...the 16 year old really shows sometimes.