Author Topic: Jtrans Artillery Questions- Merged  (Read 26921 times)

Offline Jtran57

• Banned
  • Rate Post
Jtrans Artillery Questions- Merged
« on: June 10, 2014, 21:32:05 »
I am thinking of becoming an artillery soldier after highschool. What is it like to be one? What do you do on deployments?Can you give me some advice about being an artillery soldier. Thank you in advance

Online PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Try looking here: http://army.ca/forums/index.php?board=2.0

Little tip:  At least attempt to search the site.   :nod:
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Jtran57

• Banned
  • Rate Post
What kind of specialty training can an Artillery soldier do?
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 23:20:48 »
Can they do a Basic Parachutist course?

Offline Bird_Gunner45

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: What kind of specialty training can an Artillery soldier do?
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 05:46:39 »
Yes, artillery soldiers can do the jump course though there aren't as many slots as other trades, namely the infantry (mostly mortar crewmen)

Offline jeffb

Really needs to stop buying guns... .

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
Re: What kind of specialty training can an Artillery soldier do?
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 16:49:59 »
There are also some for OP stream folks. Generally speaking, artillery are able to do most of the specialty courses available to any other trade that is not trade specific.
~ Ubique ~
Simple is better except when complicated looks really cool.

Offline Jtran57

• Banned
  • Rate Post
Is there a lot to remember when being an Artillery soldier?
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 00:07:50 »
Do you have to memorize a lot of things? What kind of things do you need to memorize while being an artillery soldier

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

Is a pinball wizard.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
Re: Is there a lot to remember when being an Artillery soldier?
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 00:13:21 »
Yes, all kinds of Artillery things...............
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline Jtran57

• Banned
  • Rate Post
Questions about being an Artillery soldier
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 00:26:44 »
Do you try each position? Like pulling the trigger, loading the ammunition etc...
Can you pick which position you want to do
What if you are bad at that particular position?
Thank you in advancd

Offline Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 01:08:26 »
The wide part of the shovel works best for digging, and the pointy end of the bullet goes in the gun first, that's about it...
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Shamrock

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 06:09:58 »
The wide part of the shovel works best for digging, and the pointy end of the bullet goes in the gun first, that's about it...

Pull string make gun go boom

Offline Jtran57

• Banned
  • Rate Post
Any artillery soldiers/officers take Police Foundations in College?
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 00:39:14 »
I want to be an artillery soldier after school and was wondering if police foundations would be a good course to take before joining the army. Thank you in a advance for your input

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
Re: Any artillery soldiers/officers take Police Foundations in College?
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 01:13:52 »
I want to be an artillery soldier after school and was wondering if police foundations would be a good course to take before joining the army. Thank you in a advance for your input

Police Foundations is ****ing useless. Under no circumstances should anyone bother with that program. There are much more versatile throwaway diplomas. Wanting to be a cop later in life doesn't make it any better an idea. It's just a cash grab by colleges. If you have the drive to go to school, take something - almost anything - else. PF is an absolute waste of time and money.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Jonsey

• Civilian
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 01:25:48 »
Police Foundations is ****ing useless. Under no circumstances should anyone bother with that program. There are much more versatile throwaway diplomas. Wanting to be a cop later in life doesn't make it any better an idea. It's just a cash grab by colleges. If you have the drive to go to school, take something - almost anything - else. PF is an absolute waste of time and money.

Don't you need to complete a Police Foundations or an equivalent course to become an MP? Granted, the OP isn't looking to become an MP, but still.

Offline Jtran57

• Banned
  • Rate Post
What college course is related to Artillery?
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 01:33:43 »
Need help picking a course for college. Wanting to be artillery soldier after

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 01:44:21 »
Don't you need to complete a Police Foundations or an equivalent course to become an MP? Granted, the OP isn't looking to become an MP, but still.

No. Police Foundations is accepted as one of several educational options for direct entry. It's the crappiest amongst them. Most people with police foundations will never be cops, yet it's almost useless for anything else. You're putting almost all your eggs in a poorly made basket when you take PF. A PF diploma will not too the scales regarding whether someone is suitable to be a cop of not. Better to get a more generally applicable education so that you have more options in the likely eventuality that you are not successful in getting into the MPs or another police force.

PF is something the colleges perpetuate as a likely step to a policing career. It is not. It's just a cash cow for them. If you're seriously considering taking PF, slam your junk in a car door instead. It will ultimately hurt no more, cost less, and you'll waste less of your time bouncing back from your poor decision. If you really want to be an MP specifically amongst all policing options, either get a different applicable education, or spend some years in another trade first to learn about the military and then apply to do a voluntary occupational transfer down the road.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline d_edwards

• Rate Post
Re: What college course is related to Artillery?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 06:47:16 »
  Surveying perhaps, if your school offers it.  Perhaps a physics course related to the subject of projectile motion or ballistics.   
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 07:03:12 by d_edwards »

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
Re: Jtrans Artillery Questions- Merged
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2014, 10:26:22 »
surveying, communications. After you spend time on the gunline, branching out to work in the OP's or Command post is a good idea. Work on math and Trig

Offline m.k

• Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2014, 19:06:14 »
Can they do a Basic Parachutist course?
Yes. As stated above the slots are usually pretty limited. Exceed the fitness standard and stand out (in a good way) and you may find yourself jumping out of a plane one day.

Do you have to memorize a lot of things? What kind of things do you need to memorize while being an artillery soldier
Fire Discipline, to start with.

Offline Bird_Gunner45

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Questions about being an Artillery soldier
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2014, 13:28:45 »
Do you try each position? Like pulling the trigger, loading the ammunition etc...
Can you pick which position you want to do
What if you are bad at that particular position?
Thank you in advancd

If you are a NCM in the arty you can do a wide variety of jobs. You can work on the gunline as a M777 detachment member, doing all the jobs from putting ammo together, loading, being the det commander, etc as you progress.

you can also work within a field artillery Command Post, calculating gun data for firing and keeping situational awareness (with computers now thank goodness!)

You could also branch off into the Observation Post, Surveillance and Target Acquisition(STA), or Air Defence (AD, and yes, its still alive). If you do OPs you could be a LAV III driver, call fire missions, work with a FOO, and work within a FSCC later on. In the STA, you could work on a LCMR radar, a HALO accoustic weapon locating system, Scan Eagle (or replacement) UAV, or the Raven Mini UAV. In the AD, you can work within an Airspace Coordination Centre, and in a few years, within an Air Defence weapons det and AD radar det (Weapon expected in 2019ish, radar expected 2015ish).

Offline GnyHwy

• is a pragmatic optimist.
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • GO GUNS!!!
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2014, 22:28:08 »
you can also work within a field artillery Command Post, calculating gun data for firing and keeping situational awareness (with computers now thank goodness!)

Interesting you say that.  A lot of older fellows would say we are better off with markers and talc.  I am not one of those older fellows.

Offline Bird_Gunner45

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2014, 23:04:57 »
Interesting you say that.  A lot of older fellows would say we are better off with markers and talc.  I am not one of those older fellows.

Dont get me wrong, there is value in Jr Officers and NCMs learning to do MAPS and to battle track via map and talc. Learning map symbols, for instance, by doing map and talc requires one to actually know what the symbol is. Using battleview (if it works) or falconview is simply a matter of finding the symbol.  However, once past a basic level we need to trust the electronic systems provided. IFCCS works extremely well and so do most SA systems.

From an IG perspective we should continue to train older systems and introduce the electronics so that once the young officers and NCMs hit the Regiments they can carry on with the electronic way ahead.

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • WordPress Page
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2014, 16:49:18 »

I'm an old guy who started on arty boards, went to plotters and, hell, I even fired of check maps and CP&FC graphs for practice (and don't get me started on using slide rules, log books and tellurometers for survey). I was there when we started transitioning to computers (was involved in 2 RCHA's FACE and GACS trials) and I think I can safely say that any old guys that thought we were better off with map and talc are all dead now.

That said, as a major user of computers these days, I know that from time to time the system can crap out and you have to have reliable backups. Those should include a manual system which should have an acceptable level of accuracy, should be readily available and personnel should have training in their use. I hope that in fact the gun lines these days have that available.

:cheers:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" book series at:
https://wolfriedel.wordpress.com

Offline Bird_Gunner45

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2014, 17:04:58 »
I'm an old guy who started on arty boards, went to plotters and, hell, I even fired of check maps and CP&FC graphs for practice (and don't get me started on using slide rules, log books and tellurometers for survey). I was there when we started transitioning to computers (was involved in 2 RCHA's FACE and GACS trials) and I think I can safely say that any old guys that thought we were better off with map and talc are all dead now.

That said, as a major user of computers these days, I know that from time to time the system can crap out and you have to have reliable backups. Those should include a manual system which should have an acceptable level of accuracy, should be readily available and personnel should have training in their use. I hope that in fact the gun lines these days have that available.

FJAG,

Not to worry- MAPS is very well and alive in the arty training system. Officers learn basic missions while NCMs still do all the mission types with MAPS on the Gun area technical supervisor course.

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • WordPress Page
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2014, 21:27:39 »
FJAG,

Not to worry- MAPS is very well and alive in the arty training system. Officers learn basic missions while NCMs still do all the mission types with MAPS on the Gun area technical supervisor course.

Okay.

To just show my age again - I presume MAPS is an acronym for something. What exactly is it?

???

Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" book series at:
https://wolfriedel.wordpress.com

Offline Bird_Gunner45

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2014, 00:13:52 »
Okay.

To just show my age again - I presume MAPS is an acronym for something. What exactly is it?

???

Manual Artillery Plotting System (MAPS). Basically the new term for the older calculations. After having done it, as a long time air defender, I certainly respect the abilities of pers who could punch these missions out in minutes.

Offline GnyHwy

• is a pragmatic optimist.
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • GO GUNS!!!
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2014, 07:49:52 »
Dont get me wrong, there is value in Jr Officers and NCMs learning to do MAPS and to battle track via map and talc. Learning map symbols, for instance, by doing map and talc requires one to actually know what the symbol is. Using battleview (if it works) or falconview is simply a matter of finding the symbol.  However, once past a basic level we need to trust the electronic systems provided. IFCCS works extremely well and so do most SA systems.

From an IG perspective we should continue to train older systems and introduce the electronics so that once the young officers and NCMs hit the Regiments they can carry on with the electronic way ahead.

Agree completely and I think we are doing it right, although it seems to be a constant argument on whether or not we should still do MAPS, or more specifically, to what magnitude.  We continue to add new things to our training plans and develop new TTPs, yet we don't seem to clear our plate of old things at the same time.  Something has to give.

I should have been more specific, but my previous comment about persons preferring talc and markers was directed more towards your comment on SA and computers.

There are still plenty of people that are shy are unwilling to lean forward for networked SA.  The Arty and Sigs seem to lean forward more than others, but a large part of the problem is, we are not the main users or the ones who should be deciding what a networked SA system is required to do. 

Offline Jtran57

• Banned
  • Rate Post
What is a typical day for a artillery soldier like?
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2014, 21:49:50 »
Do you work everyday? What kind of things do you so everyday?

Offline Bird_Gunner45

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2014, 00:05:00 »
Agree completely and I think we are doing it right, although it seems to be a constant argument on whether or not we should still do MAPS, or more specifically, to what magnitude.  We continue to add new things to our training plans and develop new TTPs, yet we don't seem to clear our plate of old things at the same time.  Something has to give.

I should have been more specific, but my previous comment about persons preferring talc and markers was directed more towards your comment on SA and computers.

There are still plenty of people that are shy are unwilling to lean forward for networked SA.  The Arty and Sigs seem to lean forward more than others, but a large part of the problem is, we are not the main users or the ones who should be deciding what a networked SA system is required to do. 

I agree with the shyness towards the TDL nets for the gun side. The AD side has been using TDL (blue force track through an EPLRS is just a tactical data link, in this case called the situation awareness data link or SADL) for years and is still in a constant battle over who should run the nets- sigs or arty. My personal belief is that sigs should do it, the arty corps wants arty (AD) guys to do it, but I digress.

I've seen the IFFCS and thought it worked pretty well. That said, almost all of the OP guys I knew at the RCAS hated it and were more focussed on how the system didn't adapt to their TTPs than to finding new ways to do business. The system could be better, granted, but the ability to punch out information and do ammo/mission tracking real time in a RCP and FSCC is an amazing capability for coordination of effects that it's at least worth looking into, IMHO, especially if it could be linked into STA and AD application for deep fires and airspace coordination.

Offline Jtran57

• Banned
  • Rate Post
Should I weight train to prepare for Basic Training?
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2014, 22:13:50 »
I can currently do about 80 pushups in a minute and 30 sit-ups. I also do a ton of bench dips and arm dips which involves all my body weight. I do this 3 times a week. Would weight training help or it wouldn't be nessessary? I also am running to * For the weight train I would usually do bicep and hammer curls with a 40lbs dumbbell

Offline Jtran57

• Banned
  • Rate Post
Am I fit for Artillery?
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2014, 22:16:07 »
I can currently do about 80 pushups in a minute and 30 sit-ups. I also do a ton of bench dips and arm dips which involves all my body weight. I do this 3 times a week. I also do bicep and hammer curls with 40lbs dumbbells. Thank you in advance for your help

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

Is a pinball wizard.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
Re: Am I fit for Artillery?
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2014, 22:30:56 »
Nope.........
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Offline UnwiseCritic

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2014, 22:34:48 »
You should probably wait till your hammer curling 80s...
"He who hates correction is stupid!"

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

Is a pinball wizard.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2014, 22:37:19 »
A few cycles of test might help.............we are talking Artillery after all.

Offline Northern Ranger

• Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2014, 00:26:35 »
Your good to go. 

Offline Jtran57

• Banned
  • Rate Post
Would you say I am ready for Basic Training
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2014, 09:57:17 »
I've only been focusing on the requirements and haven't been dong anything else besides it. I can do 80 pushups in 2 minutes, 30-50 sit-ups, a few chin ups and I can run 2.4 k in about 10 minutes. Right now I am trying to run 5K non stop. Would you say I am ready? What else should I do if not? Thank you in advance

Offline Jtran57

• Banned
  • Rate Post
Am I fit enough and ready for Basic Training?
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2014, 10:27:30 »
I've only been focusing on the requirements and haven't been dong anything else besides it. I can do 80 pushups in 2 minutes, 30-50 sit-ups, a few chin ups and I can run 2.4 k in about 10 minutes. Right now I am trying to run 5K non stop. Would you say I am ready? What else should I do if not? Thank you in advance

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Re: Jtrans Artillery Questions- Merged
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2014, 12:12:35 »
Dear Jtran57

Just in case you were wondering, having a merged thread with one's name in it is not a badge of honour here.

Asking the same question repeatedly is not conducive to success here, either, or in the CF.

You have been advised to use the Search Function before. Do it. It was installed by the Site Owner at great expense, and is one of the reasons why he cannot pay the poor, suffering Directing Staff as much as we would like. It rather miffs us, then, when we see it wasted.

Read more. Post less. You've been on this site long enough to have done at least a little research, but appear to lack either the abiity or motivation, if not both, to do so. It will take more than push-ups or sit-ups to get through Basic Training. Following simple direction and doing one's own work are even more important.

Joetran

Is this a good plan for after highschool?
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2014, 15:05:59 »
I'm in Grade 11 and want to join the CF as an artillery soldier. I am thinking of going to college for Police Foundations, so I have a backup and then join the CF full time. Or become a reservist while in college and then switch to full time. What is the differencr of basic training for full time and part time? Can I get your input on my plan it would help a lot. Thank you in advance

Offline KerryBlue

• Rate Post
Re: Is this a good plan for after highschool?
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2014, 15:10:55 »
Didn't get the answers you wanted in this other thread

http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,115343.0.html

Jtran57=JoeTran...

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
Re: Is this a good plan for after highschool?
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2014, 15:32:20 »
Yup!

Rules say I now have to BAN you and all your accounts.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Lacrosse067

• Banned
  • Rate Post
Is Reserves training the same from Full time training?
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2014, 16:13:00 »
What is the difference between the 2? Do you do the exact same thing but with a different schedule?

Offline Lacrosse067

• Banned
  • Rate Post
What trade would be related to Police Foundations
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2014, 16:17:04 »
I know Military Police would be related but could it be related to Artillery? I am currently taking Police Foundations in college and want to become an Artillery Soldier when I finish.

Offline Lacrosse067

• Banned
  • Rate Post
College courses related to artillery?
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2014, 16:24:16 »
Out of curiosity what college course would be related to artillery?

Offline KerryBlue

• Rate Post
Re: College courses related to artillery?
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2014, 16:42:08 »
Out of curiosity what college course would be related to artillery?

Holy persistent *******....

Offline hockey101

• Banned
  • Rate Post
What does this mean?
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2014, 21:43:25 »
Evacuate a casualty weighing 90 Kg 100 m using fireman's lift.

Offline KerryBlue

• Rate Post
Re: What does this mean?
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2014, 21:48:03 »
Carry a person weighing 90kg(approx 200lbs) for one hundred meters using the fireman carry demonstrated below.