Author Topic: "Military bases in Sydney, Adelaide and Toowoomba on Defence hit-list" - AFR  (Read 2127 times)

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
The Royal Australian Airforce Base at Richmond in Sydney's West, the Woodside Army Barracks near Adelaide and the Borneo Barracks at Carbalah near Toowoomba are on the list.

All three were earmarked for closure as a result of a previous defence review in 2006 and again following an audit in 2009, but escaped the axe because of fierce local campaigns against the closures.

A review released by Defence Minister Kevin Andrews last week recommended at least 17 out of 75 defence properties nationally be sold because they are too small to be viable and the defence forces and department do not have sufficient funding to maintain them.

RAAF Richmond, which is home to the C-130 Hercules fleet, employs up to 2000 people and pumps some $130 million in to the local economy. Mr James said the C-130 fleet could easily be shifted to RAAF Amberley in Queensland where the larger C-17 transport planes are headquartered.

http://www.afr.com/news/politics/military-bases-in-sydney-adelaide-and-toowoomba-on-defence-hitlist-20150413-1mjx6d

RAAF Base Richmond is the sole Herc base in the country (No.37 Sqn with 12 airframes) and finding parking space for them in AMB would be pretty much impossible without some (more) massive construction works. 
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."