Author Topic: AVS Tech training and family  (Read 5638 times)

Offline fullmetalpacket

• Rate Post
AVS Tech training and family
« on: July 27, 2015, 20:37:03 »
Hello all, when I will be sent to Kingston for the first 6 months of training (AVS Tech) will my family be authorized to live with me in a PMQ?

And also when sent to Borden for the rest of the training?

I have a 2 months old daughter and I want to be there for her and for my wife. BMQ + Kingston + Borden = around 2 years.

Please tell me my family can follow me (at my expense) wherever I will be studying...

Thanks
Recruiting Center: CFRC Rimouski
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: AVS Tech
Trade Choice 2: AVN Tech
Trade Choice 3:
Application Date: July 2, 2015
First Contact: July 9, 2015
Aptitude Test: July 22, 2015
Medical: September 15, 2015 (PASSED April 2016)
Interview: September 11, 2015
Merit Listed: April 19, 2016
Position Offered: May 4th, 2016 (AVS Tech)
Enrollment/Swear in: July 14th, 2016
BMQ Begins: July 25th, 2016

Offline Leeworthy

• Rate Post
Re: AVS Tech training and family
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 11:46:59 »
The length of your course makes all the difference. POET is 6 months in Kingston. I think you still have inspections and such while on that course don't you? You may not get authorization to live off the base or outside of shacks due to that. As for Borden on your QL3, it may be the same problem. You could have your wife move locally to Kingston and live in an apartment, but I don't know for sure if you can live there with her, and may be hard to find somewhere willing to rent for a 6 month term only.

Your best bet would be to talk to the staff at Kingston once you start your course. They have the final say on you being able to live off base while you are on course, or in a PMQ while on course. I don't think you are going to be able to get a PMQ for a 6 month timeframe, but again, best to ask your course staff as they have final say.

Offline opcougar

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 13:19:35 »
@fullmetal.....

You will always belong to Borden if your interest is AVS. POET is 7 months, and the failure rate is high on the course. Hopefully you are Science inclined, as you like maths and electronics? If not, start working on it pronto.

Once you pass, it's back to Borden for AVS common core if you haven't already done that, then onto your AVS QL3 which is 9 months + and again high failure rate.

PMQ question: It's not advisable for you to move your family whilst on DP 1 trg, only to move them again for QL3, and then later for your 1st posting. Put it this way, it won't happen on the Crown's dime, and you will need a memo to live outside anyway. You won't be the first person to have a family whilst on course, and it should act as your motivator to want to pass and move on.

Your first failure of a PC leads to PRB, and depending on the board, you can find yourself being recoursed. Speak to your spouse before making any irrational decisions.

Good luck

Offline CCR

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 17:43:55 »
@fullmetal.....

You will always belong to Borden if your interest is AVS. POET is 7 months, and the failure rate is high on the course. Hopefully you are Science inclined, as you like maths and electronics? If not, start working on it pronto.

Once you pass, it's back to Borden for AVS common core if you haven't already done that, then onto your AVS QL3 which is 9 months + and again high failure rate.

PMQ question: It's not advisable for you to move your family whilst on DP 1 trg, only to move them again for QL3, and then later for your 1st posting. Put it this way, it won't happen on the Crown's dime, and you will need a memo to live outside anyway. You won't be the first person to have a family whilst on course, and it should act as your motivator to want to pass and move on.

Your first failure of a PC leads to PRB, and depending on the board, you can find yourself being recoursed. Speak to your spouse before making any irrational decisions.

Good luck

Things do change quite often, but when I went through POET and my 3's I was allowed to live out (PMQ). My F&E was moved to the PMQ through the BOR as opposed to Brookfield. No that did not affect my Brookfield move when I was posted at the end of my QL3. They were very accommodating and the PAT staff helped me draft the memo. I had a quick turn around and at that time CFHA had many PMQ's that were empty. That was back in 2013 mind you.

As for when you are on POET, I went back to Borden every weekend. People do carpool back and forth. At the time I was receiving incidentals (that also seems to change every few courses) as I was TD'd to CFSCE. That essentially covered my 7 months of travel costs.

Again, things change so often that by the time you get there, CFSATE's policies could have changed 3 times over.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 17:47:03 by CCR »

Offline thejadepixie

• Rate Post
    • The Wandering Iris
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 19:50:13 »
If you are married or common law, you only need to write a memo about living off base. I know of 3 people currently on poet who are not living in the shacks but with their spouses and children.

The inspections are done when you're not around, but sometimes they will decide they want to do a bedside inspection. So for that they'll just tell you to occupy an empty bed space. And make sure your parade boots are imacculate. They are very picky about the boots.

Offline opcougar

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 14:23:09 »
@OP......Living outside the shack will always be at the discretion of the staff. Again, you have to really ask yourself if it is really worth it to log your family around temprarily, or you are better off focusing on training (no distraction), and then perhaps wait till you are done your QL3. I can tell you now that Borden won't let you live outside.

Your concerns should be focused on how well your understand Maths, AD, DC, Amp, Practicals, etc

Offline LucasPearce

• Rate Post
Currently 17, looking to become an aviation system technician
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 14:55:52 »
As stated, I am interested in this training program. What I worry about is the living situation, as I have a girlfriend. Am I able to live off base and get an apartment? Also what about the traveling? Is there a lot of traveling with this job or will I be stationed somewhere close to where my girlfriend is?

Thank you for your time

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 17:59:11 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline BeaverMan

• Rate Post
Re: Currently 17, looking to become an aviation system technician
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 18:38:39 »
As stated, I am interested in this training program. What I worry about is the living situation, as I have a girlfriend. Am I able to live off base and get an apartment? Also what about the traveling? Is there a lot of traveling with this job or will I be stationed somewhere close to where my girlfriend is?

Thank you for your time

First year and half of your time in you would be on courses from BMQ, POET, Common Core, and QL3 and that's if you don't get stuck on PAT for some time waiting to be loaded onto a course or flunk out. During this time you are not likely to visit your family and friends other then on bloc leave. After that you would be shipped off from anywhere from Shearwater NS to Comox BC. Once there you will need to complete more training to formularize you with how to properly fill out paperwork to the layout of your new base. Then on to either completing your OJT or getting servicing qualified. And then on to your type course. After that you can expect to go on deployment at least once a year be it 2 weeks or 6 months depending on what unit you end up at. Basically if you are afraid of being away from your girlfriend for any amount of time the military itself is not for you as you are required to be ready for deployment at a moments notice. And even before all that you need to pass all the required steps to even be excepted to join. Sorry if any of this scares you but the military is a different type of lifestyle then being a civilian. You have to make sacrifices but in the end it can be quite a rewarding experience.

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Re: Currently 17, looking to become an aviation system technician
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 20:22:54 »
As you can see from the links that mariomike so graciously provided, LucasPearce, there is a wealth of information here on this Site. Please read through older threads, especially those stickied at the top of each forum, and try the Search Function and mariomike's Site Google technique. By doing so, you'll likely find answers to questions that have not even occurred to you yet.