Author Topic: Seeking an excuse to spend Defence $$ on a Bombardier plane  (Read 63200 times)

Offline MarkOttawa

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Two birthdays
    • The 3Ds Blog
Re: Seeking an excuse to spend Defence $$ on a Bombardier plane
« Reply #150 on: February 13, 2020, 15:01:48 »
The fast goodbye continues, another post:

Bombardier Bombing Out of Airliners–Rail too?
https://mark3ds.wordpress.com/2020/02/13/bombardier-bombing-out-of-airliners-rail-too/

Mark
Ottawa
Ça explique, mais ça n'excuse pas.

Offline Spencer100

• Rate Post
« Reply #151 on: February 13, 2020, 15:22:56 »
It is sounding more like an asset sale then a restructuring.

Best news is that we will no longer have to hear about Bombardier get government handouts!

Offline MarkOttawa

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Two birthdays
    • The 3Ds Blog
« Reply #152 on: February 13, 2020, 15:47:32 »
Spener100: No, but Airbus, Textron, Alstom might be putting the screws on--Textron-owned Bell Helicopters gets lots of gov't money as does PWC.

Mark
Ottawa

Offline CBH99

• Rate Post
« Reply #153 on: February 13, 2020, 16:12:20 »
I know this may sound groundless, and this truly is my own personal opinion.

The CEO & senior management of Bombardier, in my opinion, should be metaphorically burned at the stake.  Screw them for taking what was once a Canadian icon, and driving it into the ground.

There's a ton of examples, too many to list here.  But how can you manage to drive a company to near bankruptcy, multiple times - only to be bailed out by massive government bailouts - and still drive it into the ground??

How hard is it to build rail cars?  This shouldn't be a troubled division.  This should be a streamlined division & a well oiled machine at this point.  We aren't asking them to build flying subway trains using negative gravity...we're asking them to build technology from the 1960's, on tracks that were laid around the same time.  How can it be this challenging after 60yrs?

I realize the Canadian government isn't a huge buyer of aircraft.  16 SAR planes here, 4 Twin Otters there, etc etc.  Occassionally, a decently big guy of F-18's or C-130's - but overall, the CAF isn't a huge or consistent customer of aircraft.

That being said...one of the nice things about our complete inability to purchase anything quickly outside of a UOR is that industry has LOTS OF LEAD TIME, and know exactly what we are looking for when we do decide to purchase.  (Relatively speaking.)

Again...how hard is it to take an aircraft that meets the performance specs, and modify it with a rear ramp & SAR features?  Since Brazil, Spain, Ireland, and a few other countries are purchasing the C-295 -- that's an aircraft Bombardier could have had a competitor for, but couldn't be bothered. 

Just frustrates me as a Canadian to see a Canadian icon managed so poorly that it's dying an unnecessary death...and the management of the company don't seem to be held accountable, despite our tax dollars bailing them out repeatedly.  (Tax dollars they also used to give themselves bonuses...  :pullhair: )
Fortune Favours the Bold...and the Smart.

Wouldn't it be nice to have some Boondock Saints kicking around?

Offline YZT580

• Rate Post
« Reply #154 on: February 13, 2020, 16:49:19 »
They did have a competitive aircraft: the buffalo but they left it in the 60's and then sold the whole thing to what was basically an airframe restoration company. 

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #155 on: February 13, 2020, 17:28:40 »

“Success isn’t guaranteed, but failure is certain if you aren’t truly emotionally invested in your work.”

— Biz Stone
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline MarkOttawa

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Two birthdays
    • The 3Ds Blog
« Reply #156 on: February 14, 2020, 10:46:58 »
The fast goodbye continues, another post:

Mark
Ottawa

Demise of Bombardier nicely summed up:

Bombardier drama may be coming to a close
The problem with Bombardier is that it was always more of a wannabe success than a real success. Canadians loved the story of the scrappy inventor from rural Quebec starting off making snowmobiles and his heirs turning the firm into a multinational making jet aircraft, water-bombers, subway trains etc.

Much of that growth came through opportunistic buying of companies nobody else wanted — Canadair in Montreal, de Havilland in Toronto, Short Brothers in Belfast, Adtranz in Germany — usually combined with Bombardier management’s unparalleled ability to extract money from governments desperate to maintain jobs and get under-performing assets off their books.

Yet seldom during its history, did Bombardier really manage to turn these disparate,  individual assets into a cohesive, consistently profitable company. Maybe it’s the problem of always looking for a bargain. The whole never ended up being greater than the sum of its parts.

Bombardier did manage to stretch the Canadair Challenger business jet into a passenger aircraft and create a whole class of regional aircraft. But like RIM’s invention of the Blackberry, one product was not enough to build a company with long-term success.

Bombardier always managed to promise more than it could actually deliver. It wasn’t enough to bet the future of its commercial aviation business on the brand-new C Series, it did so at the same time that it was developing a new Global 7500 business jet and the smaller Learjet 85. The C Series was 2 ½ years late and way over budget. The Global Express was also late. And the Learjet 85 had to be dropped entirely.

Back on earth, the company has been no better in its transportation unit, consistently angering clients at Toronto Transit Commission, Swiss Railways, Deutsche Bahn and New York’s Metropolitan Transportation Authority for delivering rolling stock that was late and full of bugs. Great to land the contracts and have an impressive order backlog but if you can’t deliver the merchandise, maybe you’re in the wrong business...
https://ipolitics.ca/2020/02/14/bombardier-drama-may-be-coming-to-a-close/

Mark Collins

Offline Czech_pivo

• Rate Post
« Reply #157 on: February 14, 2020, 10:57:51 »
"Maybe it’s the problem of always looking for a bargain."

But isn't this the typical Canadian modis operandi?

Constantly nickel and dime someone to buy/deliver the bare bones product and then run that product into the ground over 35-50+yrs, constantly bringing it back from the dead with numerous 'enhancements' and 'extended refits'.

As I've said previously on here, Canadians are by far the cheapest SOB's in the world.  Why would our companies be any different?

Offline Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #158 on: February 14, 2020, 11:57:41 »
I don’t think we are cheap.  We continually over spend on projects for the sake of “jobs”.

If we were cheap we’d be buying ships made in Korea.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca

Offline MarkOttawa

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Two birthdays
    • The 3Ds Blog
« Reply #160 on: March 24, 2020, 10:38:42 »
Will there still be a Bombardier to spend defence $$ on? A post:

COVID-19 to Bury Bombardier without more Bailouts from Governments?
https://mark3ds.wordpress.com/2020/03/24/covid-19-to-bury-bombardier-without-more-bailouts-from-governments/

Mark
Ottawa

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #161 on: March 24, 2020, 10:49:14 »
"Maybe it’s the problem of always looking for a bargain."

As I've said previously on here, Canadians are by far the cheapest SOB's in the world.  Why would our companies be any different?

Our poor record when looking for new kit is a product of our history. In the early days we had the British Empire, who, like all empires, withdrew from North America.
In WWI political cronies (at least early in the war) were awarded contracts - the Ross rifle comes to mind.

When it comes to defence matters, the average Canadian could care less. The USA is just to the south so I think a lot of Canadians take it for granted the Americans will leap to our defence.

As to new hi tech kit (F-35 and ships etc) the political parties always look for industrial benefits.

Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #162 on: March 24, 2020, 11:03:24 »
Our poor record when looking for new kit is a product of our history. In the early days we had the British Empire, who, like all empires, withdrew from North America.
In WWI political cronies (at least early in the war) were awarded contracts - the Ross rifle comes to mind.

When it comes to defence matters, the average Canadian could care less. The USA is just to the south so I think a lot of Canadians take it for granted the Americans will leap to our defence.

As to new hi tech kit (F-35 and ships etc) the political parties always look for industrial benefits.

As long as politicians are allowed to have a hand in defense procurement we will always be screwed, but no one, even if they say they will, is actually going to take the politics out of defense procurement
"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"

Online Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #163 on: March 24, 2020, 11:19:04 »
As long as politicians are allowed to have a hand in defense procurement we will always be screwed, but no one, even if they say they will, is actually going to take the politics out of defense procurement

Agreed.  Once one accepts that Defence Procurement is inherently political, and that the operational capability often (always? In major programmes) becomes a secondary or tertiary consideration, it all makes sense (well, at least ‘correlates to reality’).

Regards
G2G

Offline CloudCover

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #164 on: March 24, 2020, 12:57:28 »
As if there is no politics in US defence procurement.  What Congress has, and Parliament lacks, are very powerful defence and security lobbies, backed up by large defence contractors. We have both of these elements, but few Parliamentary champions to listen and apply sound advice over political deviancy.
... Move!! ...

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #165 on: March 24, 2020, 13:35:10 »

Industrial and Technological Benefits (formerly Industrial Regional Benefits) is a whole-of-government policy for Defence procurement.  It's been going on, regardless of party, for...well, a long time.   

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/086.nsf/eng/home
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline dapaterson

Halfway to being an idiot-savant.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #166 on: March 24, 2020, 15:05:59 »

As if there is no politics in US defence procurement.

The F35 program was designed not for an efficient supply chain, but one distributed so widely across the USA that it becomes politically impossible to oppose it, as every congresscritter has constituents benefitting from the program.

It would be interesting to see the cost impact of that politicization of the supply chain...
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Uzlu

• Rate Post
« Reply #167 on: March 24, 2020, 15:49:32 »
The F35 program was designed not for an efficient supply chain, but one distributed so widely across the USA that it becomes politically impossible to oppose it, as every congresscritter has constituents benefitting from the program.
That is standard procedure for every major US weapons program.  Lockheed Martin Canada and its partners are doing the same thing with the Canadian surface combatants.  http://www.canadascombatshipteam.com/team/