Author Topic: SYR Refugees to Canada (split fm SYR refugees thread)  (Read 119806 times)

Offline kratz

Back into the Fall routine.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: SYR Refugees to Canada (split fm SYR refugees thread)
« Reply #325 on: December 16, 2015, 15:20:46 »
The Premier could have been on hand, to give them each a free laptop and offer each family free rent for a year.

Ok, the laptops are from a group in Edmonton AB, but Toronto is complaining about landlords trying to follow due diligence, even with refugees.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #326 on: December 16, 2015, 16:54:09 »
The Premier could have been on hand, to give them each a free laptop and offer each family free rent for a year.

Ok, the laptops are from a group in Edmonton AB, but Toronto is complaining about landlords trying to follow due diligence, even with refugees.
I caught that ya. Imagine that, someone wanting to follow policy and the rules. Not exactly the landlords fault that no one thought of this ahead of time. They're paying a guy $1800 a day to organize this, he should be able to figure something out.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #327 on: December 16, 2015, 17:09:49 »
I caught that ya. Imagine that, someone wanting to follow policy and the rules. Not exactly the landlords fault that no one thought of this ahead of time. They're paying a guy $1800 a day to organize this, he should be able to figure something out.

For 1800/day, I bet he takes his time though. 
"What a f$$kin' week!" - me, every Monday at about 1130hrs.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #328 on: December 17, 2015, 11:26:49 »
Making sure there was no homophobes coming in.

Oddly enough that would likely disqualify about 2/3rds of the incoming refugees

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #329 on: December 21, 2015, 06:47:33 »
Mooooooore refugees for 2016?

The Canadian government could double the intake of Syrian refugees to 50,000, according to Canada’s minister of immigration, refugees and citizenship.

John McCallum said the Canadian government hopes to resettle 35,000 to 50,000 refugees by the end of 2016.

The announcement follows a pledge by the Liberal government to resettle 25,000 Syrian refugees by the end of February.

McCallum, who also toured development projects and refugee facilities during his two-day stop in Jordan, greeted families preparing to board flights to Canada in the Jordanian capital of Amman on Sunday ...
Nice thought, but if they're having trouble rustling up folks to come to the Land of the Beaver & Mountie now ...
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #330 on: December 21, 2015, 20:53:15 »
This tidbit, via Kurdish media, about Canada also helping refugees closer to the fight - highlights mine ...
While visiting the Kurdistan Region of Iraq, Canadian Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan met with Kurdistan Region President Massoud Barzani in Erbil on Monday December 21st, to discuss the latest political and security developments.

According to a statement by Kurdistan Region Presidency office, Sajjan praised the effective role of Kurdish Peshmerga forces in the war against Islamic State (IS) in northern Iraq, and reiterated that the sacrifices by Peshmerga are highly valued by Canadians.

He highlighted Barzani’s role in leading the “brave Peshmerga forces” and managing the crises in the region. Such successful leadership encourages Canada to continue supporting the Kurdistan Region, Sajjan stressed.

The Canadian official pointed out that he will be discussing further supports for Kurdistan Region once he returned to Canada, hoping to increase the size of supports for the Peshmerga and refugees settled in the Kurdistan Region ...
A bit more in the brief statement from the Kurdish Region President's info-machine attached.

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #331 on: December 23, 2015, 11:56:19 »
There will be at least 2,000 but it looks like Canada will not make the 10,000 refugees in country goal by year end.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/10k-syrian-refugees-may-not-be-on-canadian-soil-by-year-s-end-mccallum-1.3378261

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #332 on: December 23, 2015, 12:10:45 »
There will be at least 2,000 but it looks like Canada will not make the 10,000 refugees in country goal by year end.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/10k-syrian-refugees-may-not-be-on-canadian-soil-by-year-s-end-mccallum-1.3378261

Do I blame Harper for this ?  I dunno I feel so confused...

;)
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

Offline Bird_Gunner45

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #333 on: December 23, 2015, 12:20:13 »
Do I blame Harper for this ?  I dunno I feel so confused...

;)

I saw McCallum's news conference and thought it was an exercise in talking in circles. The 10,000 by 31 Jan was a liberal promise which clearly they can't make, but was self imposed with Canadians probably not really caring about numbers. Why not just say they can't make the number? It's THEIR number!

Also, what's up with the refugees needing extra time to sell property and say good bye? We were led to believe these people were desperate... seems somewhat the opposite
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 13:32:11 by Bird_Gunner45 »

Offline Jed

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #334 on: December 23, 2015, 13:09:47 »
I saw McCallum's news conference and thought it was an exercise in talking in circles. The 10,000 by 31 Jan was a liberal promise which clearly they can't make, but was self imposed with Canadians probably not really caring about numbers. Why not just say they can't make the number? It's THEORY number!

Also, what's up with the refugees needing extra time to sell property and say good bye? We were led to believe these people were desperate... seems somewhat the opposite

Yep, it just does not fit the narrative.
As the old man used to say: " I used to be a coyote, but I'm alright nooooOOOOWWW!"

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #335 on: January 06, 2016, 18:53:24 »
This, from Ottawa city councillor and CF vet Jody Mitic:
... "I didn't go fight in Afghanistan to not help Syrian refugees" ... Mitic ... said he was "bummed" Wednesday when people on social media suggested Canada should do more for its war vets rather than help Syrian refugees fleeing from war.  "I don't want people to feel sorry for me because we're bringing in refugees," Mitic said in an interview.  "One is not the other, and don't use veterans as a wedge issue just because you don't like refugees." ...
QFTFT

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #336 on: January 06, 2016, 19:22:11 »
He also said later in the article that he doesn't understand why we can't do both. Completely agree. If we can bring in 5,000 refugees in a couple months, we should be able to quickly find homes and link into support systems for the roughly 2,500 homeless vets out there right now.

jollyjacktar

« Reply #337 on: January 06, 2016, 20:02:05 »
QFTFT

Can you translate that for the slower members of the audience, please?

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #338 on: January 06, 2016, 20:06:21 »
Can you translate that for the slower members of the audience, please?
Politely put, Q-uoted F-or T-he F-lipping T-ruth ...

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

jollyjacktar

« Reply #339 on: January 06, 2016, 20:22:18 »
Thanks.  You learn something new every day.  :salute:

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #340 on: January 09, 2016, 17:19:03 »
Niiiiiiice ...
More than a dozen Syrian refugees were pepper sprayed late Friday night in an incident that police are treating as a hate crime.

The attack happened outside the Muslim Association of Canada Centre during a “welcome night” event for newly-arrived Syrian refugees.

City police said a crowd of men, women and children had gathered outside the MAC centre when a man wearing a white hoodie apparently rode by on a bicycle and sprayed 15 to 30 people, including some young children.

Police said that a number of people were treated on scene, but there was no word of any serious injuries ...
This from Vancouver PD ...
The VPD’s Major Crime Section is continuing to investigate last night’s pepper-spraying outside of the Muslim Association of Canada Centre.

Shortly after 10:30 p.m., a large crowd of refugees were gathered outside of the Muslim Association of Canada Centre located at 2122 Kingsway Avenue when an unknown man on a bicycle rode up and pepper-sprayed a group of men, women and children.

A number of people were treated for exposure to the pepper-spray by paramedics and the Vancouver Fire and Rescue Service.

Police are searching for the man on the bicycle, who is believed to have been wearing a white hooded sweatshirt.

A number of sections within the Vancouver Police Department are assisting with the investigation. Although the motive for the pepper-spraying is unknown at this time, investigators are treating it as a hate motivated crime, until determined otherwise.

No arrests have been made and the investigation is ongoing.
... and this from the immigration minister:
“I was appalled when I heard of last night’s incident outside the Muslim Association of Canada Centre in Vancouver, in which an unknown assailant pepper sprayed a group of Syrian refugees. Paramedics treated more than two dozen men, women and children for exposure to the noxious substance.

“That the group was there to attend an event welcoming them to Canada only makes this attack even more infuriating and reprehensible.

“Canadians know that this incident is an affront to our values as a nation, and is at odds with the overwhelmingly positive welcome that Syrian refugees have received in communities across our country.

“I am sure that welcoming community spirit will endure, and will grow even stronger in the wake of this disturbing crime. I would also like to assure recently arrived Syrian refugees that those who gathered last night to support and welcome them embody the Canadian spirit. This attack in no way represents their new home.

“As Minister of Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship, I wish all of the victims of last night’s attack a quick recovery, and I look forward to our police and legal system bringing the perpetrator to justice.”

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

jollyjacktar

« Reply #341 on: January 09, 2016, 17:28:04 »
That is no cool.  I hope they find who did it and make them account for their actions.  The victims weren't asking for trouble, would be a different story if it was the bunch from Cologne.

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #342 on: January 10, 2016, 08:25:32 »
Meanwhile, standby (at least some) CFBs - highlights mine...
Refugee agencies and the Red Cross are racing to line up housing for thousands of Syrians in the coming weeks as the focus of the Liberal government's program shifts from refugees with private sponsors to those assisted by the government alone.

Three military bases in Ontario and Quebec should be ready by the end of next week to provide essential services for government-assisted refugees, said Hossam Elsharkawi, associate vice president, international operations for the Canadian Red Cross.

"We are not able at this stage to quite understand how many weeks they will stay at these centres, but at least these centres will have the capacity of three to four thousand refugees," he said.

( ... )

Since the start of the program, military bases were eyed for housing needs, but neither the Defence Department nor the Immigration Department would elaborate Friday on the plan to use them.

CFB Kingston and CFB Valcartier have always been at the top of the list, followed by Meaford, Petawawa, Trenton and Borden.

"Due to the many factors influencing if and when a refugee will have to go to an (interim lodging site), it is premature to speculate on the scale of possible operations," Faith St. John, a spokesperson for the Immigration Department wrote in an e-mail ...
Re:  the bit in yellow, here's the list of all the "possibles" from the Op PROVISION backgrounder:
If requested, the CAF is prepared to provide interim lodging for refugees at the following bases/wings in Ontario and Quebec:

- Canadian Forces Base (CFB) Kingston;
- CFB Borden;
- 8 Wing Trenton;
- 4th Canadian Division Training Centre in Meaford, Ontario; and
- Garrison Petawawa; and
- 2nd Canadian Division Support Base Valcartier.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
Prep continues ...
« Reply #343 on: January 11, 2016, 06:10:29 »
Wanted:  someone to cater meals (more in attached) and do laundry/dry cleaning for refugees @ CFB Borden - just seeking information for now.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #344 on: February 05, 2016, 06:39:28 »
Some of the latest ...
Plans to temporarily house Syrian refugees at Canadian Forces Base Borden and the base in Meaford have been cancelled.

According to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), officials have determined that only two of Canada's military bases will be asked to house some of the 25,000 Syrian refugees expected to land on Canadian soil by the end of March.

“We are going back to regular operations,” said Capt. Rob Bungay, media spokesman at CFB Borden west of Barrie, who said they received the news on Monday of this week.

The IRCC has stated only two interim lodging sites, including CFBs Kingston and Valcartier, will maintain a state of “high-readiness” in the event extra lodgings are required for the refugees.

Together, the two eastern Ontario and Quebec bases offer approximately 3,000 beds, which the ministry feels would provide sufficient capacity if needed at all.

Two weeks ago, the Chief of Defence Staff Gen. Jonathan Vance directed the Canadian Armed Forces to be prepared to provide interim lodging for up to 13,000 refugees should the need arise.

Bungay said there are 220 winterized accommodations at Borden's Blackdown Cadet Training Centre that could be used to house 1,500 Syrian refugees if it was requested of them.

Bungay said each family unit is configured with bunk beds, tables, chairs, coat rack and lockers.

Family units were recently upgraded with mats, insulated flooring and heating units, and Bungay added that medical clinics and dining halls are already heated and insulated.

However, all current preparations at CFBs Borden, Meaford, Petawawa and Trenton have ceased ...

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #345 on: February 09, 2016, 16:21:47 »
And here's the risk you run writing stories about past briefing notes* in the present tense ...
The government of Canada has ordered its military to draw up plans for migrant camps that will allow more than 6,000 Muslims to be housed on a long-term basis at several Canadian Forces Bases.

Planning documents for migrant camps requested by the centre-left Liberal government of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau (pictured) were released in response to an ‘Access to Information’ request from the political website, The Rebel.

The request asked for information regarding religious expenditure by the Department of National Defence (DND). Planning documents in English and French — published at The Rebel website — show the planned use of taxpayer funding goes way beyond the provision of shelter in migrant camps at military bases.

Hundreds of thousands of Canadian dollars have reportedly been set aside for “religious support” to fund the purchase of Qurans, prayer mats and foot-washing towels, as well as the construction of mosques or “worship centres”, with CAN$216,ooo for Quebec bases alone.

In total seven Canadian Forces Bases across the provinces of Quebec (2 bases) and Ontario (5) will be affected, with the budget for Quebec alone totaling more than CAD$46 million for the first six months. Eviction warnings were first sent to Canadian soldiers in their barracks in November last year ...
On that bit in yellow, uh, no they won't all be at this point ...
Still, let's not delay the outrage bus any longer than we have to ...
... It’s shocking that Canadian Armed Forces personnel will be ordered to abandon the coalition battle against ISIS and return to Canada to become waiters, chauffeurs and social workers for Muslim migrants, and that Canadian Forces Bases will be turned into squalid refugee camps ...
:facepalm:

* - Although I WILL give credit to the outlet for sharing at least some of the material they obtained and wrote about to allow readers to reach their own conclusions - most media don't share their "obtained" documentation obtained via ATIP.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 16:31:09 by milnews.ca »

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #346 on: February 09, 2016, 18:32:54 »
Jokes on him, most PMQ housing and single quarters already resemble squalid refugee camps.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: The Mega "MIGRANT THREAT TO EUROPE" thread
« Reply #347 on: February 14, 2016, 09:01:35 »
I couldn't find a better place for this.

Good news is our new friends seem to be learning how to work the system, just like good Canadians.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/syrian-refugees-bedbugs-follow-feb10-1.3442623
mmigrant Services Association of Nova Scotia says staff thoroughly inspected an apartment to ensure it was bedbug-free before moving in a family of six Syrian refugees on Feb. 1.
Director of operations Gerry Mills said families are moved into safe and appropriate housing, and ISANS staff keep the health and well-being of refugees in mind.

"Our staff know what bedbugs look like and since Friday we've had staff there every day in different apartments, honestly trying to look for bedbugs. We have found not one bedbug," she said.

Gerry Mills, director of operations at ISANS, says the Zeinas's apartment was swept for bedbugs. (Elizabeth Chiu/CBC)

On Tuesday, Ziad Zeina told CBC News through an interpreter that he wanted to get his family out of their two-bedroom apartment on Gerrish Street because the bedbug problem "is non-stop and it's not going to change and there's no solution at this moment."

There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline kratz

Back into the Fall routine.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #348 on: February 14, 2016, 09:57:13 »
I read the same news report, but wasn't certain if there was a good place for discussion on it here.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #349 on: February 14, 2016, 10:54:37 »
I couldn't find a better place for this.

Good news is our new friends seem to be learning how to work the system, just like good Canadians.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/syrian-refugees-bedbugs-follow-feb10-1.3442623

This story has been making the rounds.

This Iman in Edmonton is a good candidate for DEPORTATION, but we know that Trudeau is highly unlikely to carry out any such action:

http://www.therebel.media/syrian_refugees_in_alberta_welcomed_with_prayer_destroy_enemies_of_islam
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.