Author Topic: Brexit Vote: 51.9% leave, 48.1% stay  (Read 63836 times)

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
Re: Brexit Vote: 51.9% leave, 48.1 stay
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2016, 15:18:24 »
The results were followed by the worst crash in the British pound against the US dollar ever.

Worst?  -9.5% stabilized for the day...even if it sits there for some time to come, there have been bigger swings for less important things...like Day #2 for Lululemon...  puh-lease... ::)

The UK will be fine.  It's not like the country every started using the Euro... 

EU has bigger issues...like wasting 1/5 of a Billion Euros per year... ::)

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2016, 15:21:51 »
 :goodpost:
"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2016, 15:24:28 »
Tangent, but I was asked why PM David Cameron had to (?) step down after the Brexit vote was finalized.  I didn't think it was also a non-confidence vote?  Or did he just feel it was a good time to cut his losses and go?

He didn't have to go. And I don't think it was a case of cutting his losses - that suggests an unemotional calculation.  I believe he just couldn't face the thought of getting up in the morning to continue doing the same job under the changed circumstances.
"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2016, 17:45:00 »
He didn't have to go. And I don't think it was a case of cutting his losses - that suggests an unemotional calculation.  I believe he just couldn't face the thought of getting up in the morning to continue doing the same job under the changed circumstances.

I would add perhaps an old fashioned sense of honour. Appearing to have lost the support of the people, it seems reasonable that he would fall on his sword.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2016, 20:06:33 »
One final comment from me on the day.

I have been seeing an awful lot of this: "What happens next?" 

The short answer is exactly the same as it was the day before the referendum and the same as it would be had the Brits voted to stay.

No one knows.
"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

Offline cupper

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Nuke 'em 'til they glow, then wait until dark.
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2016, 20:18:33 »
Cameron had really no choice. The party was split, with a sizable caucus on the right pulling for the Leave side. Although, according to a Conservative MP who was interviewed on BBC News hour this morning, the Leave supporters in the caucus did give him a letter after the results were final asking that he not resign, and they felt that he would be the best person to lead the negotiations.

The rumours running around are that Boris Johnson is the favorite to replace Cameron.

And also heard that they won't initiate Article 50 proceedings for a few months.
It's hard to win an argument against a smart person, it's damned near impossible against a stupid person.

There is no God, and life is just a myth.

"He who drinks, sleeps. He who sleeps, does not sin. He who does not sin, is holy. Therefore he who drinks, is holy."

Let's Go CAPS!

Offline cupper

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2016, 20:26:29 »
Canada seems to be the country of choice for anyone who wants to flee their own country when things go to hell politically.

Brexit fallout: ‘How to move to Canada’ trends in U.K. after European Union vote

http://globalnews.ca/news/2784868/brexit-how-to-move-to-canada-trends-in-u-k-after-european-union-vote/

It seems many Britons are looking at making the big move across the pond after the United Kingdom voted to leave the European Union.

On Friday, after the U.K. voted 52 per cent in favour of bouncing from the European Union, many internet users began to search on Google “How to move to Canada.”

According to Google Trends, the term was searched most frequently in Wales, followed by England and Scotland. “How to move to Canada from UK,” “move to Canada from UK,” and “Can I move to Canada?” were also popular search terms.

Following the referendum, many took to social media to say they were packing up and moving across the pond.

According to Google Trends, once the Brexit results were officially announced, “What is the EU?” was the second-most searched question in the U.K., while “What does it mean to leave the EU?” was the most searched.

It’s seems Canada is a popular destination for foreigners upset with the political situation in their homelands.

Earlier this year, Americans were threatening to move to Canada if Donald Trump becomes president. The same threat was made in November over the States’ plan to allow Syrian refugees in the country.

And in the summer of 2015, social media lit up with the same threat after the U.S. Supreme Court legalized same-sex marriage in all 50 states. Canada had legalized same sex marriage in 2005.
It's hard to win an argument against a smart person, it's damned near impossible against a stupid person.

"He who drinks, sleeps. He who sleeps, does not sin. He who does not sin, is holy. Therefore he who drinks, is holy."

Let's Go CAPS!

Offline cupper

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2016, 20:32:55 »
The Canada Party is trolling the UK and the US. They tweeted:

Dear UK: We will swap you Scotland for the U.S. Straight-up trade, no givesies backsies. ‪#‎Brexit‬

Let's Go CAPS!

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2016, 21:15:19 »
Sorry. Canada doesn't accept white, english speaking people anymore. Unless you happen to have a Syrian passport and you're Muslim.
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.”

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline RocketRichard

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2016, 21:22:45 »
Sorry. Canada doesn't accept white, english speaking people anymore. Unless you happen to have a Syrian passport and you're Muslim.
Absolutely incorrect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2016, 21:30:35 »
One final comment from me on the day.

I have been seeing an awful lot of this: "What happens next?" 

The short answer is exactly the same as it was the day before the referendum and the same as it would be had the Brits voted to stay.

No one knows.

:goodpost:

They spent centuries going it alone against Europe. The corporate knowledge on how to do that is still there. They won't have any insurmountable problems going it alone again.

There are other countries that are fed up with the balance of power flip flopping only between Germany and France, being dealt out of negotiations, being told who and how many immigrants they have to take, yada, yada, yada. If enough of these look at the UK and say 'Hey, it works!' the EU will be nothing but a very expensive, failed experiment when they all pull out.

Canada, the US, Europe (in general) and some other countries in the free world are getting sick of professional politicians. People have decided they want some miniscule control over their own lives and are starting to lash out at anything that even resembles government control. It's bad enough when they are your own elected people, but when it's someone in another country telling you what to do, it's getting intolerable for lots of people.
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.”

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2016, 21:32:44 »
Which brings us to this:

DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2016, 21:33:01 »
Absolutely incorrect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really didn't think I would need a sarcasm smilie there. Who knew?  :dunno:

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline jmt18325

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2016, 21:55:30 »
I really didn't think I would need a sarcasm smilie there. Who knew?  :dunno:

I don't get what the sarcastic joke was really supposed to be there.  Canada accepts immigrants based on their points score, no matter their skin colour.

Offline YZT580

• Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2016, 22:17:33 »
It is OK to make fun of yourself and others with politically incorrect jokes, honest!  I sometimes long for the days of polack, newfie, and Irish jokes.  Now the only ones you can laugh at or about without risk of being sued are the Baptists.  Seriously though, the EU brought this upon themselves with their louse-milking over trivia and trying to dominate the whole of every society.  And all administered by unelected officials who are answerable to no one, or so it seems.  They have pages of regulations just describing what shape and size a tomato must be before it can be marketed.  I think that the British just got tired of being told, they don't take kindly to that and never have.

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2016, 22:21:26 »
The Canada Party is trolling the UK and the US. They tweeted:

Would you really want scots and newfies in the same army? we already have radios that barely work, whats the point if the people on them cant be understood!?
"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"

Offline YZT580

• Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2016, 22:27:31 »
They at least would understand each other.  And they make great sergeant majors simply because no one understands them.

If you can, read Colby Cosh's column in the National Post re: us and Brexit.   I's link it but I am electronically challenged. Basically calls us hypocrites for criticizing in Britain's aspirations the very things that we enjoy for ourselves, well written IMHO.

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2016, 22:37:59 »
YZT

The ties that bind.

"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

Offline jmt18325

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2016, 22:45:16 »
It is OK to make fun of yourself and others with politically incorrect jokes, honest!

Yeah, sometimes I'm too defensive.

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2016, 23:06:59 »
I just read that Brussels (EU HQ) wouldn't let Britons buy Dyson vacuums because of the machines power usage.

That is the kind of utter bullshit that had Britain walk. Hopefully, a bunch of others grow a spine and walk away also. The New World Order is collapsing and it's not soon enough.

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline cupper

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2016, 23:12:12 »
Watching the news tonight, they put the economic losses in perspective:

Globally stocks lost a total of $2.1 Trillion US, US exchanges lost $850 Billion.

Let's Go CAPS!

Offline cupper

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2016, 23:15:58 »
Scots are trolling Trump on Twitter over his erroneous tweet about Scotland celebrating the results.

So far my favorite is weasle headed f#$%trumpet, with mangled apricot hellbeast a close second.

Let's Go CAPS!

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2016, 23:18:08 »
The historian and constitutional expert Lord Hennessy explains why the UK has never really warmed to Europe.

The crossbench peer told PM presenter Eddie Mair: "Europe was set up by clever, catholic, left wing, French bureaucrats, and most Brits have got problems with at least three of those five." 
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Online jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2016, 23:32:19 »
"The Wogs start at Calais."
I'm just like the CAF, I seem to have retention issues.

Offline Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2016, 00:15:08 »
The historian and constitutional expert Lord Hennessy explains why the UK has never really warmed to Europe.

The crossbench peer told PM presenter Eddie Mair: "Europe was set up by clever, catholic, left wing, French bureaucrats, and most Brits have got problems with at least three of those five."

He's right, and so should we (as JT pushes us into the EU) ... http://www.international.gc.ca/trade-agreements-accords-commerciaux/agr-acc/ceta-aecg/index.aspx?lang=eng

You're right. I Never  Met A Motherfucker Quite Like You, or someone as smart as you.  Never ever will, either.