Author Topic: Pokemon GO  (Read 12330 times)

Offline AwooBot

• Rate Post
Pokemon GO
« on: July 18, 2016, 13:51:19 »
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nianticlabs.pokemongo&hl=en
iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pokemon-go/id1094591345?mt=8

Anyone else playing this right now? Since its' official release, as of yesterday.
CHINO

Offline Not a Sig Op

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear.
Re: Pokemon GO
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 18:24:13 »
Nearly ran over a kid this evening who was riding a bike and engrossed in his phone... I'm guessing he probably was.
Remember troops, the minimum acceptable standard is still an acceptable standard.

Offline AbdullahD

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 22:59:39 »
Ya'll can guess where i stand... i hope this uploads right...
Recruting Center: Vancouver
Component: Reg Force
Trade Choice 1: MSEOP
Application Date: 09/22/2016
First Contact: 09/28/2016
Tests:
CFAT- 10/15/2016 Passed
Medical- TBA
Interview- TBA
Position Offered: TBA
Basic Training Begins: TBA
Trade *Correction trade is open, back to getting fit :)*

Offline Larry Strong

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • 546 days from 0 to being King of the Castle
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 00:19:04 »
Ya'll can guess where i stand... i hope this uploads right...

You started this AbdullahD  ;)

Cheers
Larry
Proud sponsor of the Maple Leaf Legacy Project. http://www.mapleleaflegacy.ca

Offline Lightguns

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I live for trout and deer
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 06:57:04 »
The next most ridiculous thing to come along.  When you have to post your property because of these poky folks.....
Done, 34 years, 43 days complete, got's me damn pension!

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 07:39:04 »
For some on here, using your phone to search for Pokemon is a non-issue.  Their style of hunting Pokemon is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlUHIUmFoTk
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline sidemount

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 12:29:11 »
For some on here, using your phone to search for Pokemon is a non-issue.  Their style of hunting Pokemon is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlUHIUmFoTk
Even at the end that pokemon still had a smug look on its face....
Leadership is solving problems. The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help or concluded you do not care. Either case is a failure of leadership. - Colin Powell

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 12:39:22 »
   :facepalm:

Offline CountDC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 13:15:02 »
and...... warning is out.  Pokémon players invading military establishments to capture pokemon or reach PokeStops and Gyms.  U.S. base concerned plays may appear suspicious to military guards (hmmm maybe meaning guards might shoot them thinking the ball "throw" is someone throwing something real like a grenade or bomb?)

Wonder if anyone has caught any on the front lines of Iraq yet.
"When the power of love, overcomes the love of power....the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix [1942-1970]

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 13:28:55 »
Armed veterans searching America’s most dangerous neighborhoods for Pokemon

By Andy Wolf|July 18th, 2016|Popular|1 Comment

(This is completely satirical post written only for entertainment)

Veterans seeking a new thrill have donned their old armor and taken to the nation’s most dangerous neighborhoods in search of the ultimate prey- Pokemon.

Scouring the seediest sectors of major metropolitan areas that suburban children and adults avoid at all costs, former servicemembers have  taken to the seedy no-man’s lands to collect Pokemon with the popular new game Pokemon Go.

“My wife bitched that I didn’t spend enough time with my kid and that I spent too much time prepping,” said Dwayne Hicks of Germantown, Tennessee. “So I take my son into Memphis every weekend to, you know… capture Pokemon and stuff.”

However, Hicks’ wife Monica Weston-Hicks is starting to regret the suggestion.

“I thought they’d just be cruising the neighborhood for Pikachus or whatever,” she said. “Now my son’s talking gibberish about bug-out bags and whatever a “HVT” is.”

Not all Pokevets -the new name given to the shadowy and MOLLE-clad subcommunity- roll with young children in tow. Some seek out what is being referred to as the “lone wolf” adventure.

“I like feeling the rush of tracking down my prey in a dangerous environment,” said Gustavo Rodriguez, who prowls the hazardously desolate Logan triangle in the Philadelphia area. “I’m not stupid, though. I definitely carry my Glock 19 in case someone wants a shot at my Pokeballs.”

Despite the hazard, Rodriguez says he’s had very little trouble with would-be criminals.

“Hey man, what happens in the triangle, stays in the triangle.”

Some vets -particularly former medics and corpsmen- patrol the streets armed with Combat Lifesaver Bags in search of Pokemon hunters who have accounted for a recent spike in phone-related injuries.

“People who play this game have zero situational awareness,” said former Army medic Juliana LaPlace. “I run into grown men who get hit by cars, kids stuck in storm drains and even the occasional sprained ankle. I’m in med school right now and wish I could count this as loggable clinical time.”

But not everyone is pleased with the idea of Pokevets roaming the street.

“Some of them are just looking to shoot a gangbanger and claim self defense,” said Lieutenant Mike Ketchum of the Detroit Police. “They’re running around with their prepper gear and deliberately getting into shootouts with local gangs.”

Ketchum, who has been on the force since 1999, says that the whole concept of playing Pokemon Go is a ruse.

“I have found guys with only three rounds left in their pistols and not a single Pokemon except the one they are given at the beginning of the game. They don’t even level them up. It’s just an excuse to get in a gunfight.”

Regardless, no Pokevets involved in defensive shootings have been charged to date.

“It’s ‘gotta catch em all,” Rodriguez laughed. “Not ‘gotta cap em all.”

http://popularmilitary.com/armed-veterans-searching-americas-dangerous-neighborhoods-pokemon/

Offline Arty39

• Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2016, 14:02:07 »
and...... warning is out.  Pokémon players invading military establishments to capture pokemon or reach PokeStops and Gyms.  U.S. base concerned plays may appear suspicious to military guards (hmmm maybe meaning guards might shoot them thinking the ball "throw" is someone throwing something real like a grenade or bomb?)

Wonder if anyone has caught any on the front lines of Iraq yet.
I heard a story that an mwo or cwo found a soldier hunting a rare Pokemon in a saluting area in Gagetown.

Offline Scott

- apparently an antagonist.

• Likes fire and loud noises.
  • Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2016, 16:30:18 »
I heard a story that an mwo or cwo found a soldier hunting a rare Pokemon in a saluting area in Gagetown.

Standby for Duffleblog article.
Be nice for no reason.

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2016, 16:47:19 »
Standby for Duffleblog article.
Apparently, the dumbasses participants are creating enough headlines and Darwin Award moments, that neither Duffleblog nor The Onion can top their stories.   

Once again,  :facepalm:

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2016, 17:43:26 »
People actually need to be warned about this?

Pokemon Go: Bosnia players warned of minefields
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2016, 20:10:27 »
Guy playing Pokémon in the subway at track level at Union Station. Thanks to citizens like this, we never had to worry about job security.  :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 20:31:42 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline LunchMeat

• Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2016, 20:13:14 »
There's a CANFORGEN out already...

UNCLAS CANFORGEN 119/16 DGDS 011/16 SIC YAA SUBJ: SECURITY ADVISORY - AUGMENTED REALITY GAMES / MOBILE WEB APPLICATIONS BILINGUAL MESSAGE/MESSAGE BILINGUE REFS: A.NDSOD CHAP 3 AND 5 B.DCAAR PART III, SAFETY AND CONDUCT OF PERSONS

1. THE PURPOSE OF THIS ADVISORY IS TO INCREASE AWARENESS OF AN EMERGING TREND WHICH MAY PRESENT LOCAL SAFETY AND/OR SECURITY CONCERNS AT DND/CAF ESTABLISHMENTS

2. RECENT REPORTING REGARDING THE GROWING USE OF WEB-BASED AUGMENTED REALITY GAMING APPLICATIONS (SUCH AS POKEMON GO) HAS HIGHLIGHTED THE INHERENT DANGERS ASSOCIATED WITH THIS ACTIVITY. THESE DANGERS ARE LARGELY RELATED TO GAME PLAY WHICH ENCOURAGES INDIVIDUALS TO ACCESS VARIOUS GEOGRAPHIC LOCATIONS IN SEARCH OF VIRTUAL ITEMS. DISTRACTED PLAYERS MAY COMPROMISE THEIR REAL-WORLD SITUATIONAL AWARENESS, THEREBY RISKING ACCIDENT OR INJURY. FURTHERMORE, SUCH APPLICATIONS MAY IDENTIFY LOCATIONS WHICH RESULT IN PLAYERS ATTEMPTING TO GAIN UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO LOCATIONS ON DND/CAF INSTALLATIONS

3. LOCAL COMMANDERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO CONSIDER THE GROWING POPULARITY OF SUCH APPLICATIONS WHEN ESTABLISHING THEIR GENERAL SAFETY PROGRAM, PHYSICAL SECURITY PLANNING, AND IN THE PROVISION OF EMERGENCY RESPONSE SERVICES FOR THEIR INSTALLATIONS

4. IN ADDITION, ALL DND/CAF PERSONNEL SHOULD EXERCISE CAUTION IN ELECTING TO USE SUCH APPLICATIONS AND MAINTAIN AWARENESS OF THEIR PERSONNEL SAFETY AND SECURITY AT ALL Times

5. INDIVIDUALS ARE ENCOURAGED TO REPORT SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY TO THEIR LOCAL MILITARY POLICE, COMMISSIONAIRES, OR 911

6. SIGNED BY BGEN MELOCHE, DSO

OBJET: AVIS CONCERNANT LA SECURITE - JEUX EN REALITE AUGMENTEE / APPLICATIONS WEB MOBILES REFS: A. ODSDN CHAP 3 ET 5 B. REGLEMENT SUR LES SECTEURS D ACCES CONTROLE RELATIF A LA DEFENSE (RSACD), PARTIE III, SECURITE ET CONDUITE

1. LE PRESENT AVIS A POUR OBJET DE SENSIBILISER LE PERSONNEL A UNE NOUVELLE TENDANCE QUI POURRAIT COMPROMETTRE LA SURETE OU LA SECURITE LOCALE DANS LES ETABLISSEMENTS DU MDN ET DES FAC

2. DE RECENTS RAPPORTS ONT FAIT RESSORTIR LES DANGERS INHERENTS A L EMPLOI DE PLUS EN PLUS REPANDU D APPLICATIONS WEB DONNANT ACCES A DES JEUX EN REALITE AUGMENTEE (COMME POKEMON GO). CES DANGERS SONT EN GRANDE PARTIE LIES A L UTILISATION DE JEUX QUI ENCOURAGENT LES JOUEURS A SE RENDRE A DIVERS ENDROITS POUR Y TROUVER DES ELEMENTS VIRTUELS. UNE FOIS DISTRAITS PAR LEUR JEU, LES JOUEURS POURRAIENT PERDRE LE CONTACT AVEC LA SITUATION DANS LAQUELLE ILS SE TROUVENT DANS LE MONDE REEL ET AVOIR UN ACCIDENT OU SE BLESSER. EN OUTRE, LES APPLICATIONS COMME CELLE QUI A ETE MENTIONNEE POURRAIENT INCITER LES JOUEURS A SE RENDRE DANS DES LIEUX INTERDITS D ACCES, DANS LES INSTALLATIONS DU MDN OU DES FAC

3. NOUS ENCOURAGEONS LES COMMANDANTS LOCAUX A PRENDRE EN COMPTE LA POPULARITE GRANDISSANTE DES JEUX EN REALITE AUGMENTEE LORSQU ILS ETABLISSENT LEUR PROGRAMME DE SECURITE GENERALE ET LEUR PLAN DE SECURITE PHYSIQUE, ET LORSQU ILS OFFRENT LEURS SERVICES D INTERVENTION D URGENCE DANS LEURS INSTALLATIONS

4. EN OUTRE, TOUS LES MEMBRES DU PERSONNEL DU MDN ET DES FAC DOIVENT FAIRE PREUVE DE PRUDENCE LORSQU ILS CHOISISSENT D UTILISER DES APPLICATIONS COMME CELLE QUI A ETE MENTIONNEE, ET NE DOIVENT JAMAIS PERDRE DE VUE LEUR SECURITE PERSONNELLE

5. NOUS ENCOURAGEONS TOUTES LES PERSONNES QUI SONT TEMOINS D UNE ACTIVITE SUSPECTE A EN INFORMER LA POLICE MILITAIRE OU LES COMMISSIONNAIRES DE LEUR LOCALITE OU ENCORE A COMPOSER LE 911

6. SIGNE PAR LE BGEN MELOCHE, ASM

"The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.” ~General James "Mad Dog" Mattis, USMC

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2016, 20:23:59 »
I'm going to start circulating a rumour that there's a super rare Pokemon inside DHTC or Rocky Point, B.C.. Hilarity ensues.

Online Haggis

• "There ain't no hat badge on a helmet!"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • "Oh, what a glorious sight, Warm-reekin, rich!"
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2016, 21:51:59 »

Train like your life depends on it.  Some day, it may.

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2016, 10:17:57 »
According to this (original in French - Google English version), "since 11 July, several incidents have already been reported to Borden bases, Greenwood and North Bay."
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline devil39

• Rate Post
  • Ex-Army Guy
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2016, 22:36:18 »
Apparently, the dumbasses participants are creating enough headlines and Darwin Award moments, that neither Duffleblog nor The Onion can top their stories.   

Once again,  :facepalm:

I'd love someone to create a CF APP where we could hunt General Officer and Admiral cartoon characters and make them fight each other.... Imagine the fun.....

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2016, 00:18:54 »
Canadian Forces have issued a warning to Pokeyman players wanting to chase figments on defence establishments.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canadian-armed-forces-warn-pokemon-go-users-after-occurrences-on-three-bases-1.3004955

Offline AbdullahD

• Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2016, 00:35:50 »
Canadian Forces have issued a warning to Pokeyman players wanting to chase figments on defence establishments.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canadian-armed-forces-warn-pokemon-go-users-after-occurrences-on-three-bases-1.3004955

Nah just force them to serve 3 yrs... infantry lol
Tests:
CFAT- 10/15/2016 Passed
Medical- TBA
Interview- TBA

Offline Sheep Dog AT

• The Fly in Someone's Ointment - Giggity
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2016, 00:39:44 »

Not in Shilo. Actually encouraged.
Apparently infamous for his one liners.
Oh Giggity Well...........Giggity

Offline LunchMeat

• Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2016, 02:51:33 »

I am of the same opinion. As long as they're not accessing clearly unsafe or restricted areas, it should be encouraged. 

It could allow the public, especially impressionable youth to actually learn about their nation and their Armed Forces.

Like Borden for instance, the huge fields of memorials (Worthington Park)  and museum pieces, the museum itself... It's a lot of really nest stuff that kids could learn a lot from.

Actually had a couple in Calgary come across a PokéStop at the Police and Peace Officers Memorial, they stopped and took time to read and learn about it. They had lived there 25 years and never knew it existed.
"The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.” ~General James "Mad Dog" Mattis, USMC

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2016, 07:51:43 »
I'd love someone to create a CF APP where we could hunt General Officer and Admiral cartoon characters and make them fight each other.... Imagine the fun.....
Hey, it's getting closer to winter - maybe make an app to find virtual mukluks early?   >:D
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Bird_Gunner45

• Rate Post
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2016, 09:04:02 »

Shilo is just concerned with trying to trick Brandonites into supporting Ricks and the garrison grill  [:D

But realistically, having Pokémon Go people come on a base, which they could anyways, is fine so long as they don't go into restricted areas. Shilo has a ton of geocaches on it that people have been using for years, same as Borden, Pet, and Edmonton.

We could get really smart and set up a recruiting booth beside a pokestop!

Offline Rheostatic

• Rate Post
  • Don't shoot the messenger
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2016, 09:15:57 »

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2016, 17:48:47 »
On the same note, this thread nested itself on the military gaming and modeling board as opposed to radio chatter.

... And here is the military's Facebook warning: https://www.facebook.com/CanadianForces/photos/a.1524483394445524.1073741830.1522633664630497/1892803994280127/?type=3

Offline AbdullahD

• Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2016, 14:39:00 »
Well, I'm screwed guys. My wife downloaded Pokemon Go to play with our daughter while walking to the park (park is beside our house)...

Anywho my little girl loves it and I suspect I may be getting ambushed with reasons to download pokemon go when I get home tonight....

I am thinking I may hit the gym until she is asleep and then sneak out tomorrow early for work and plan a camping or fishing trip to distract them...

I am firmly in the no pokemon camp and my wife and daughter apparently caught "4" pokemon (my daughter is 4). So apparently I need to catch up.

Or adversely could I get sent to Iraq or something for 6 months and just do basic etc when I get back? Or maybe those fatawas have a use! Ah ha! It is haram, I cant do it! Lol

(This is a humor post, so please dont take serious)
Tests:
CFAT- 10/15/2016 Passed
Medical- TBA
Interview- TBA

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2016, 14:48:58 »
Abdullah, my friend: Aren't those the fatawas you don't have to obey anyway?  ;D

You're in the clear then - What me worry! [We need an Alfred E. Neuman emoticon!!!]

Offline AbdullahD

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2016, 14:53:24 »
Abdullah, my friend: Aren't those the fatawas you don't have to obey anyway?  ;D

You're in the clear then - What me worry! [We need an Alfred E. Neuman emoticon!!!]

Darn it man, you are arguing the wrong side lol
Tests:
CFAT- 10/15/2016 Passed
Medical- TBA
Interview- TBA

Offline BernDawg

• Wood Butcher
  • Rate Post
  • Retired... workin' harder than ever!
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2016, 18:24:22 »
There is a "Gym" right at the gate in Comox. I guess the old Voo-Doo is a pretty good landmark..
"We can't all be heroes... because someone has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by."  Will Rogers
Someone has to be last.  At least if it's me I know where all the assholes are.