Author Topic: ELB 90 % top up from 75%  (Read 16231 times)

Offline gryphonv

• Rate Post
ELB 90 % top up from 75%
« on: July 20, 2016, 15:14:44 »
http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/news/vac-responds/just-the-facts/earnings-loss-benefit

'Recent reports suggest that the Government is shortchanging Veterans with proposed changes to the Earnings Loss Benefit (ELB). I would like to correct some misinterpretations of the improvements we delivered in Budget 2016.

Our budget allocates $5.6 billion to improving Veterans’ benefits. Out of this $5.6 billion, $2.6 billion was allocated to increasing the Earnings Loss Benefit from 75% of a Veteran’s pre-release salary to 90% of that salary. Every ELB-eligible Veteran will receive more as a result of these changes.

The Earnings Loss Benefit is a temporary measure that provides financial security to injured Veterans undergoing rehabilitation as a result of a service-related injury. It is but part of a suite of benefits available to facilitate a successful return to work outside the Canadian Armed Forces. When an injured Veteran is deemed permanently unable to work, other supports are also available—including the Career Impact Allowance—which compensates for the loss of potential earnings.

No Veteran will be, or has been demoted to a rank below the one held when he or she left the military. In some cases, they will receive more than 90% of their pre-release salary. Changes in Budget 2016 mean the minimum Earnings Loss Benefit payable will be $44,496 per year. Veterans will get 90% of their pre-release salary, or the minimum, whichever is greater.

The Earnings Loss Benefit is not provided in isolation. Veterans receive a holistic suite of services and supports, including the Career Impact Allowance and Disability Allowance—benefits that were also significantly increased in Budget 2016 by $3 billion. Veterans Affairs Canada also pays for physical rehabilitation, vocational retraining and counselling for medically released Veterans. Veterans receive these supports as they focus on recovery, wellness and finding a new purpose.'

I have a confusing question for this. While under LTD from SISIP manulife, the current formula is 75%. The 90% top up is suppose to start in October 2016. But I can't seem to get a straight answer from SISIP or VAC where the extra 15% is coming from. From my understanding the amount from SISIP through LTD is 75% and the extra 15% will come from VAC. Both VAC and SISIP Manulife have refereed me to each other to get an answer. Either the information isn't distributed to the companies and it's going to be a real crap show come October, or both sides are still working out the details and don't want to say anything.

It seems pretty bad, 3 months out and nobody has a straight answer.

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
Re: ELB 90 % top up from 75%
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 15:38:41 »
That's the big question is will those under SISIP see 90%? And I don't think anyone knows the answer yet. A few months ago I saw Veterans groups asking the government for clarification on this I believe it may have been the Veterans Ombudsman asking. They never got an answer at that meeting.

I guess we will see what happens come October. Do make sure you are ELB elegiable and have applied for it even if under SISIP as that may be the key to receiving the top up or not.

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 15:38:44 »
I was wondering if SISIP doesn't make any changes wrt to ELB 90% but VAC gives 15% to those who are ELB elegiable but on SISIP would SISIP be able to claw back your LTD by 15% saying your making more than 75%?

Offline gryphonv

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 21:18:22 »
Yeah I think its going to be a cluster come  October either way, and may take several months to sort out.

My understanding is while under Sisip LTD any extra income you make is clawed back at 50%. Until you hit 100% of your pre release salary. Then it is clawed back at 100%.

It won't go over well if they claw back half of that extra 15% if VAC is paying it.

I honestly don't see Sisip LTD paying the 15% because their program is an insurance based which we all pay into. It's hard to make insurance based benefits increase without increasing premiums for every current member.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 23:51:18 »
SISIP LTD needs to just go away and die. A private corporation should not be depended upon in the delivery of basic financial benefits to veterans.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline gryphonv

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 05:46:56 »
SISIP LTD needs to just go away and die. A private corporation should not be depended upon in the delivery of basic financial benefits to veterans.

I kinda agree with this. Although I'm having a good experience over all with SISIP LTD, not without issues though.

I don't really understand the true benefit as there is a lot of double coverage between SISIP LTD and VAC with benefits. So from the outside it looks like we are paying premiums for a program we already have covered under the Veterans Charter.

With that said though, they are much easier to deal with than VAC, you get answers much more quickly (a day or a few days, vs Weeks or Months).

Offline scottytrek

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 01:25:30 »
Hi everyone!

There has been a lot of talk regarding the increase coverage for LTD eligible member (from 75 to 90 % coverage).  This bill has yet to be finalize in parlement but should be ready by Oct 1st of this year since it has passed two consecutive reading in parlement.
Now, the question remains... Who will pay for this increase?  Sisip or Vac?  Well, if you look at the recent 20% increase SISIP disability cost on your pay stub (this represent a few dollars since July 01st - for example a Cpl would see is monthly cost go from app. 8$ to about 9.50$) it seems to indicate that SISIP will cover that increase.

Now ... Why did SISIP disability cost go up by exactly 20% ?  Well, if you increase the coverage of LTD from 75 to 90 % it represent a 20% increase in benefit.  The formula to calculate this is 75% (or 0.75) x 1.2 (20 % increase) = 0.9 or 90% .
I think that SISIP knows that the increase benefit to veteran will cost more money in the future.  By increasing their premium three months ahead of time, they are ensuring that they will be able to cover that increase.

Well, this my theory since it all has to be confirmed but the number sure add up. :salute:

Offline RobA

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2016, 18:41:27 »
The bill has passed. It was introduced as C-12, but it got moved into C-15 (I think) and it's now passed.

Offline RobA

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 06:12:18 »
Sooooo My Vac Acct now shows the payment for ELB  that will be deposited October 28th under the 'current benefits' window and it's no different. The same amount Ive gotten every month this year.

Thought the bump to 90% was supposed to take effect October?

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 15:50:47 »
Sooooo My Vac Acct now shows the payment for ELB  that will be deposited October 28th under the 'current benefits' window and it's no different. The same amount Ive gotten every month this year.

Thought the bump to 90% was supposed to take effect October?

Rob shoot them a message about it and let us know what they have to say. I'll be interested to know. Perhaps because it doesn't take effect till Oct 1st the changes won't show until then.

Offline gryphonv

• Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 03:46:09 »
Just got an update from VAC, so looks like as expected, VAC will be topping up the 75%.
On October 1, 2016 several changes to the Earnings Loss Benefit will come into
effect as a result of proposals included in the 2016 Budget. These changes
include:

• increasing the Earnings Loss Benefit from 75% to 90% of recipients' adjusted
military salary at the time of release, resulting in a minimum total annual income
of $44,496.00, including income from other sources; and

• fully indexing military salaries to reflect actual cost of living increases.

We are pleased to inform you that we will begin re-calculating your Earnings Loss
Benefit as soon as the new rules go into effect on October 1, 2016.

• If you are currently in receipt of a monthly Earnings Loss Benefit payment,
we already have the information we need to re-calculate your benefit under the
new rules. We will advise you of any changes to your benefit amount beginning
with your October payment.

• If you are eligible for the Earnings Loss Benefit, but not currently in receipt
of a monthly payment, we will contact you in October with further instructions
regarding the information we need to calculate your potential benefit under the
new rules.

If you have questions, please call us toll free at 1-866-522-2122.

Offline RobA

• Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2016, 12:08:11 »
I got the same letter, so that's good news.

Incidentally, for anyone interested, I've calculated my own, and I'll get an extra $464 after taxes per month. I got out as a cpl 3.

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2016, 10:24:49 »
From the CAF:
CANFORGEN 161/16 CMP 078/16 191402Z SEP 16
COVERAGE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN CAF AND LONG-TERM DISABILITY AND VAC EARNINGS LOSS BENEFIT
UNCLASSIFIED

1.  THE PURPOSE OF THIS CANFORGEN IS TO MAKE CANADIAN ARMED FORCES (CAF) MEMBERS AWARE THAT AS OF OCTOBER 1, 2016 THE CAF LONG-TERM DISABILITY (LTD) PLAN AND VETERANS AFFAIRS CANADA S (VAC) EARNINGS LOSS BENEFIT (ELB) WILL BE CALCULATED DIFFERENTLY

2.  THE CAF S LTD PLAN AND VAC S ELB BOTH PROVIDE VETERANS WITH INCOME SUPPORT BENEFITS. VAC S ELB WILL INCREASE FROM 75 PERCENT TO 90 PERCENT OF A VETERAN S PRE-RELEASE SALARY. THIS VAC ELB BENEFIT WILL BE INDEXED SO THAT IT KEEPS PACE WITH INFLATION

3.  CAF LTD WILL REMAIN AT 75 PERCENT AND EXISTING BENEFITS WILL NOT BE AFFECTED AND REMAINS AMONG THE BEST LTD PLANS OFFERED IN THE COUNTRY. THEREFORE, IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THE ADDITIONAL BENEFIT, CAF LTD RECIPIENTS MUST APPLY TO VAC. EXISITING CAF LTD CLIENTS WILL BE PERSONNALY CONTACTED BY MANULIFE ABOUT THE PROCESS TO BE FOLLOWED

4.  ALL CAF MEMBERS ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RANGE OF CARE, COMPENSATION, AND FINANCIAL BENEFITS AVAILABLE TO THEM SO THAT THEY CAN MAKE INFORMED DECISIONS ABOUT WHAT BENEFITS PLAN OR PROGRAM WILL BEST SUPPORT THEM AND THEIR FAMILIES UPON BEING RELEASED

5.  THE CAF AND VAC ARE TAKING STEPS TO SIMPLIFY FINANCIAL BENEFITS, FILL THE GAPS, AND ADDRESS THE BENEFITS THAT ARE NOT FULLY MEETING THE NEEDS OF RELEASING CAF MEMBERS AND VETERANS. WHILE WE HAVE BEGUN IMPORTANT WORK ON MANY INITIATIVES, WE RECOGNIZE THERE IS MUCH MORE TO BE DONE, AND WE WILL CONTINUE IN OUR EFFORTS TO MAKE IMPROVEMENTS

Offline Lightguns

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I live for trout and deer
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 10:43:17 »
I got the same letter, so that's good news.

Incidentally, for anyone interested, I've calculated my own, and I'll get an extra $464 after taxes per month. I got out as a cpl 3.

good for you!
Done, 34 years, 43 days complete, got's me damn pension!

Offline RobA

• Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2016, 14:24:06 »
good for you!

No need to be a knob. I meant it as a reference point,  for anyone wondering how much they'd get but didn't want to do the math.

Offline maniac

• Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2016, 19:09:35 »
Well here is the skinny,  some people are not going to be happy.  Not sure this answers the question on sisip but op brass should be happy but the troops are getting screwed

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/disparity-in-earnings-loss-benefit-for-disabled-veterans-explained/article30256008/

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2016, 19:22:18 »
Simply put, SISIP needs to go. No reason a profit-motivated company should be involved as a gatekeeper to any veterans' benefits whatsoever. The over-complexity and duplication of services/benefits is one of the fundamental flaws of our current scheme of benefits. A ground up harmonization and rationalization of veterans' benefitsis needed, with separate recognitiion for pain and suffering, and economic impacts (lost income, reduced income growth potential, actual costs/expenses resulting from injury/illness). There's needs to be harmonization between different government departments, and common definition of disability for benefits and taxation purposes. It's needlessly complex right now.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Wookilar

• Rate Post
  • Insert deep thought.....
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2016, 15:13:15 »
Just spoke to my Manulife case manager:

Manulife will not be reducing their payments due to any increase in ELB payments from VAC. The founding SISIP docs state that "all sources of income" will be used in the calculation of any top up amount to 75%, but SISIP is not regarding the increase by VAC to be "income."

So that's good.

It does make me curious on what CRA will call the 90% top-up???

On the subject of Manulife/SISIP. Manulife is just the contractor and while YMMV, I have a good working relationship with both my case manager and my voc rehab coord and as an organization they hae been much easier to deal with than VAC or BPA. SISIP is a very old program with deep pockets that is not going to go anywhere anytime soon due to legislation. SISIP definitely needs to change their model and I agree totally that there needs to be a rationalization of veterans' benefits. There's so much crap been added since the end of the Boer War, soooo much of it no longer relevant, but it's all tied together. To reset everything, you have to start from scratch which means shutting down everything.

And all the politicians would see is the $billions$ it would take to just restart the programs let alone sustain them. And reshuffling capabilities means moving offices, changing position qualifications, new demands in a new system. The unions won't want that either.

Which is also the problem with the life-long pensions, but we already know that. Why the MSM doesn't seem to know that is another question entirely.

Wook
Why are there swamps on top of hills?

Online kratz

Happy 150th.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2016, 20:06:45 »
<SNIP>  Why the MSM doesn't seem to know that is another question entirely.

Wook

The MSM knows...but it does not sell advertising space.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline Pieman

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2016, 14:48:10 »
Simply put, SISIP needs to go. No reason a profit-motivated company should be involved as a gatekeeper to any veterans' benefits whatsoever.
There are definitely some benefits to having a profit motivated corp handling some files. Dominantly I suspect they can provide more efficient and effective support for those who qualify than the government can in many cases. (At the expense of those who's files are rejected, of course) Remember people who get SISP insurance paid into the program out of their own pocket, just like any other insurance company.

However, on both the private and government side, there is a bias in the fact that they are the ones who decided who qualifies and who doesn't. Perhaps taking that decision out of their hands via some independant organization? Perhaps a non-profit organization that will make the decision on benefits, and the government pays out what they decide. VAC and SISIP handle this independently of each other right now. However, both are motivated to pay out as little as possible at the starting line.  Just a thought.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 14:52:44 by Pieman »
Graffiti in regimental toilet stalls: The official guide to troop moral....apparently.

“Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything.” - Professor Farnsworth

Offline 3VPspecialty

• Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2016, 14:22:35 »
Just a heads up, I logged into my VAC account and my ELB payments have been automatically adjusted showing my next month's payment.

So it's worth a look to see and plan from there with the new payments.

Offline BinRat55

???

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Lead by example.
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2016, 16:46:05 »
When I was going through the retirement process, I was given the Manulife paperwork with clear instructions on how to fill them out. Do this part, give the rest to your doc. Someone from Manulife will be in touch. I don't remember anyone explaining the difference between LTD and ELB. Yesterday I got a rude awakening. VAC says i'm not entitled to the 15% top up as I am not in receipt of ELB. That kinda sucks.

For those of you in the process right now and are reading this - there IS a difference between ELB and LTD!

My loss!
Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline Pieman

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2016, 14:27:34 »
VAC says i'm not entitled to the 15% top up as I am not in receipt of ELB. That kinda sucks.

You may want to consider applying for the ELB. You may qualify and be approved for it, but won't receive payments for it unless you come off LTD for some reason. Think of it as a backup plan.

If you do qualify for ELB and are receiving LTD, I'm wondering if you could then make the case that you should receive the top up too?

Would have to talk to a VAC case manager about that.

Graffiti in regimental toilet stalls: The official guide to troop moral....apparently.

“Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything.” - Professor Farnsworth

Offline Wookilar

• Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2016, 09:18:24 »
I would second that. The application for ELB is fairly straightforward and can be done online via MyVac account.

Offline Lightguns

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I live for trout and deer
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2016, 10:21:32 »
Simply put, SISIP needs to go. No reason a profit-motivated company should be involved as a gatekeeper to any veterans' benefits whatsoever. The over-complexity and duplication of services/benefits is one of the fundamental flaws of our current scheme of benefits. A ground up harmonization and rationalization of veterans' benefitsis needed, with separate recognitiion for pain and suffering, and economic impacts (lost income, reduced income growth potential, actual costs/expenses resulting from injury/illness). There's needs to be harmonization between different government departments, and common definition of disability for benefits and taxation purposes. It's needlessly complex right now.

When I was released, Man Life was the only benefits on time and on target.  Over  10 months of misadministration of my pension and benefits, that 1400 bucks from SISIP kept my head above water.  I thank them!
Done, 34 years, 43 days complete, got's me damn pension!

Offline Wookilar

• Rate Post
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2016, 10:56:47 »
Manulife is not the problem, as they were the same for me. I had my SISIP payment super quick while I waited for my pension and severance.

The issue is how SISIP and VAC purport to do the same things, have different criteria for almost everything, and actually block access to other programs offered by each other. Too much overlap, too much wasted time, effort and money.

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2016, 22:04:41 »
So gotta say VAC processed this fast. I am on SISIP sent back the required forms the day after being notified thru the my VAC account. I recieved my top up to the 90% today did not think I would see anything till next month at the earliest.

Offline Wookilar

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2016, 16:57:58 »
I agree; I've had the same experience.

The only question I have, which has not been answered yet by VAC, is: The information on My VAC Account says that I have about $40 deductions....soooo, no income tax? Is this not taxable? Seems to me it should be, but I am not an income/non-income expert.

Offline gryphonv

• Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2016, 19:31:27 »
I've still haven't seen anything. They had my forms from manulife for almost 2 weeks but nothing yet. I'm not expecting it until later this month.

Offline Wookilar

• Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2016, 16:02:25 »
Quick update: everyone getting ELB will want to fill out  Revenue Canada TD1 form.

The income tax being deducted is only using the ELB amount NOT your total income (even though they have that info to figure out ELB...).

If you don't fix it now, you will be screwed tax time next year. I'm going to be bumping this up the VAC chain; seems like a really lazy way to do business.

Offline Renegade68

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2016, 21:08:43 »
I was approved for SISIP LTD in October 16 back dated to release date in August of 16. VAC received my application for ELB on 2 Sep. I was asked by VAC for permission to contact SISIP to determine my benefit. when I track my application the status has been in Step 3 for 4 weeks, but no one at VAC can tell me when a decision and/or when I might expect to see some jingle in my bank account. Has anyone else experienced this kind of delay and how long did it take for you to get resolution?
I will echo others comments on positive experience with SISIP, I'd be in a world of hurt without them.
Happy New Year all!  :salute:

Offline Tilap61

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2016, 20:45:36 »
Renegate dont feel Bad. I send all my paper work to VAC on the 11 Oct. they approved my rehab on the 27 Oct. talked to my CM on the 28 Oct told me approved Rehab my ELB was being calculated. On Vac account I have been stuck in stage 3 ever since  for ELB. Called them last week and was told that once rehab approved they have to sent the ELB request to Charletown and that they received it on the 17 Nov. from  there it would take 6 to 8 weeks to get done because they are way behind. I guess at VAC adding substrating a a few numbers Is a pretty complicated and time consuming process.

Offline Renegade68

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2017, 16:32:19 »
Tilap, mine was received in Charlettown on 30 Nov. VAC tells me that "the service standard on ELB is 28 days, but because of increased applications 56 days is reality". So that makes me think I'll not hear anything until  at least 25 Jan. Oh well I guess it's "money in the bank"
hope others are getting theirs processed quicker than this!

Offline rand_d

• Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2017, 21:14:36 »
Tilap, mine was received in Charlettown on 30 Nov. VAC tells me that "the service standard on ELB is 28 days, but because of increased applications 56 days is reality". So that makes me think I'll not hear anything until  at least 25 Jan. Oh well I guess it's "money in the bank"
hope others are getting theirs processed quicker than this!
Mine was received on 9 Nov 2016, and I got my money yesterday, so 56 days is about right!

Offline CampCricket

• Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2017, 01:45:21 »
I received my top up this week. Looks like it's back dated to October 1st. On my VAC account online its listed as TEMPORARY INCOME LOSS benefit

I was medically released 12 months ago. My release salary was 62,232 MCpl pay
Looks like I'm getting $470 a month after tax of which only $32 is being held back.

I'm greatful to receive the amount and my intent is not to complain - but I'm just curious as to how VAC calculated this because I don't see this as 15%.  I have no reference on my online account and I have no letter from VAC yet to explain this to me... so I'm just super curious on how they arrived at this calculation and what others are receiving.

Any insight would be nice

Offline BinRat55

???

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Lead by example.
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2017, 11:46:08 »
I received my top up this week. Looks like it's back dated to October 1st. On my VAC account online its listed as TEMPORARY INCOME LOSS benefit

I was medically released 12 months ago. My release salary was 62,232 MCpl pay
Looks like I'm getting $470 a month after tax of which only $32 is being held back.

I'm greatful to receive the amount and my intent is not to complain - but I'm just curious as to how VAC calculated this because I don't see this as 15%.  I have no reference on my online account and I have no letter from VAC yet to explain this to me... so I'm just super curious on how they arrived at this calculation and what others are receiving.

Any insight would be nice

How many times and how many threads are you going to put this CampCricket? Trolling is not allowed...
Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2017, 12:11:59 »
How many times and how many threads are you going to put this CampCricket? Trolling is not allowed...

Well it's in the correct thread now.

CampCricket there was much uproar of the 15% increase as it did not equate to 15% for a lot of members mainly lower ranks. Some may even be getting more than 15%. At the end of the day it comes down to totalling 90% of your release pay.

Offline CampCricket

• Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2017, 00:57:37 »
I've made 10 posts in the five years of being a member to be told I'm trolling. Thanks a bunch. I won't bother posting questions here anymore (or offering advice on how to get results from VAC). Decided I was going to give back and contribute by sharing on this site... and get this type of response for accidentally posting in wrong thread and then reposting in the right one... don't need the drama. I am good at finding answers on my own.

Offline the 48th regulator

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2017, 01:00:13 »
I've made 10 posts in the five years of being a member to be told I'm trolling. Thanks a bunch. I won't bother posting questions here anymore (or offering advice on how to get results from VAC). Decided I was going to give back and contribute by sharing on this site... and get this type of response for accidentally posting in wrong thread and then reposting in the right one... don't need the drama. I am good at finding answers on my own.

whoa whoah whoa,

Chill Winston.  Not everyone here wants you to leave.  I dig your posts.

Stay a while bredren.

Ourselves Alone

Tess

I know that I’m not perfect and that I don’t claim to be, so before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.

Offline the 48th regulator

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2017, 01:01:37 »

Ease up on the man brother, you know that ain't good amigo. ;)

All is good, all is good.

Ourselves Alone

Tess
I know that I’m not perfect and that I don’t claim to be, so before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.

Offline Renegade68

• Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2017, 11:54:39 »
So, I sent a secure message through my VAC account asking for an update on the status of my claim. I received the following back from VAC, not the news I wanted to hear but, at least I have a better idea when I might learn something. (Names removed for privacy"

"Thank you for using My VAC Account and our secure email services. Your ELB application is still in progress. The standard processing
time is 6 to 8 weeks from the service standard start date (Nov.30, 2016). Please follow up with us again first week of February.
Thank you for your patience.
If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact us again via My VAC Account or our toll free number 1-866-522-2122.
Sincerely,
Contact Centre Analyst
Veterans Affairs Canada"

Offline Tilap61

• Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2017, 12:17:42 »
Renegate I talk to my CM this morning on a different subject and I asked her about ELB. She mention it would be more like 8 weeks since they received lots of applications and that they have been on a skeleton crew due the the Xmas vacations. That said there is another guy see post a bit back who his request was received in Charletown on the 7 Nov and got his money in the bank at the 56 days mark so 8 weeks. Here what is frustrating with vac on vac account it tells you expect an answer after 4 weeks of receiving your application. Then you call they tell you 4 to six week. Then you call again and they say well wait a minute it is 6 to 8 weeks from the date it was received in Charlottown but nobody had mention that it takes another 4 weeks to process and get it to Charlottown . If the were to tell you right at the beginning 16 weeks then they probably wouldn't be so busy at their call centre.

Offline Renegade68

• Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2017, 12:27:41 »
Renegate I talk to my CM this morning on a different subject and I asked her about ELB. She mention it would be more like 8 weeks since they received lots of applications and that they have been on a skeleton crew due the the Xmas vacations. That said there is another guy see post a bit back who his request was received in Charletown on the 7 Nov and got his money in the bank at the 56 days mark so 8 weeks. Here what is frustrating with vac on vac account it tells you expect an answer after 4 weeks of receiving your application. Then you call they tell you 4 to six week. Then you call again and they say well wait a minute it is 6 to 8 weeks from the date it was received in Charlottown but nobody had mention that it takes another 4 weeks to process and get it to Charlottown . If the were to tell you right at the beginning 16 weeks then they probably wouldn't be so busy at their call centre.
Tilap, Agreed!

Offline Tilap61

• Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2017, 10:42:37 »
Renegate68 FYI my ELB showed up yesterday afternoon on my VAC account. So yes about 56 days. Just don't understand how they came up with the amount, it is much more then what I was expecting. I'll have to double check with them. So now it is just waiting and see how long it will take to get money in the bank.

Offline Renegade68

• Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2017, 11:08:55 »
That is good news Tilap, I hope you see the money in the bank soon. It's probably a good idea to confirm the amount, but I am glad it's more not less than you were expecting.
Cheers,

Offline CampCricket

• Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2017, 12:30:35 »
Looks like there are some glitches in the roll out of the top up. Prior to getting injured in Afghanistan, I held a full time DND position for over a decade and was a career reservist for over 25 years. I often took military leave from my civilian position. I did the same job in uniform as I do as a civilian... so DND is accommodating my injuries in the hopes that I can eventually return to full time hours... so I have earnings while on my LTD

As part of my accommodation, I work a couple days each week. I report the earnings to SISIP for my LTD. SISIP than adjusts my LTD by 50% of my earnings.

I've only been out of the military for a year, so even though I qualify for ELB, I deal with SISIP for now. I got confirmation I qualified for the 15% top up. I filled out all the forms and included my information on my work accommodation.

I started receiving my top up last week and the math did not look right. Looks like VAC is also deducting my earnings too - from the 15% top amount. They also mailed me forms to report my earnings to them. Don't these guys talk to SISIP at all. I already report that to them.

To me - that is not right. I should be reporting my earnings to SISIP as long as I fall under their program... and this shouldn't affect my top up as I don't make enough earnings to come close to my former salary (as you can keep 50% of earnings until you hit you release pay rate, then they start clawing back 100% in excess of that amount.

My case manager doesn't appear to be too knowledgeable. She thinks that I'm not entitled to keep any earnings and VAC is clawing back the other 50%. I asked her why there would be two different rules - one for LTD and one for ELB. also, from the VAC website I read that I'm allowed to keep 50% of earnings from employment up to my former release salary (just like LTD). To me - VAC and SISIP are acting independently not realizing that there is duplication here and only one of them should be handling my earnings reporting.

Am I way off in my interpretation of how this works. Anyone got a good handle on this or in a similar position receiving the top up while have some employment earnings?

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2017, 16:12:35 »
Unfortunately SISIP and VAC do not speak to each other. If they do you must sign a form allowing them to speak and it will be very specific as to what they can speak about so ensure the form covers everything. Privacy is a big deal so now no speaks to anyone without signed permission from you.

Ask to speak to someone in the ELB department to get things clarified. Although the programs are similar VAC and SISIP have different policy's and criteria. Thus I believe you will have to report earnings to both.

Offline Renegade68

• Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2017, 20:30:20 »
CC,
The form is a VAC 928, Consent for VAC to obtain personal info from 3rd parties which you can find under forms in "my VAC Account".  On mine, for them to contact SISIP, this is the wording I used " Verification of the monthly SISIP LTD amount payable in periods of earning Loss Benefit(ELB)eligibility. This consent remains in effect for the duration of ELB eligibility"

Hope this helps

Offline Renegade68

• Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2017, 21:52:58 »
So, today in my VAC account, my status went to "complete" on my application for ELB . I called my VAC CM, to see if he could see from his side what was going on, but he could not. He told me that I should see a letter in the next few days ( not sure if in VAC speak if that means weeks) telling me what the end result is. I am curious to see what the end figure will be as I see some of you saying you were getting less, and others saying more, than you anticipated.

Tilap, were you able to figure yours out?

Cheers, :salute:

Offline Tilap61

• Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2017, 09:59:37 »
Renegade FYI as soon as my ELB showed completed the amount showed up in the benefits I missed it a couple of times before I realized that I had to scroll down to see it. It is separate then my pension details. Anyway, I think I figured it out but the front line worker didn't agree so talk to my CM after a few minute of explaining she finally agree with me that the numbers don't add up told me to wit for the letter but I m in Texas for the winter so won't see that letter for a while so she sent a request to the ELB people to get in contact with me it's been 3 days and still waiting.still waiting.

Offline Renegade68

• Rate Post
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2017, 09:12:39 »
Ok, it Showed up under benefits section late yesterday. Similar to you Tilap, the amount I see is higher than I thought it would be (about $200.00/month more). I left my CM a message, and hopefully he will be able to explain it to me.
On the positive side at least something is happening! Now for the Disability awards, but I am already aware of the turtle like pace to expect on those!
Cheers,
 :salute:

Offline Tilap61

• Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2017, 20:38:31 »
200$ that about what I got to as too much as that is after tax. It almost look like they took the taxe on paper but did not actually took it out of the $ deposited in my bank account. Like I said my CM asked ELB people to contact me. That was last Thursday and I am still waiting.