Author Topic: Canadian Army gets a new flag (2016)  (Read 21541 times)

Offline Humphrey Bogart

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Canadian Army gets a new flag (2016)
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2016, 01:05:10 »
The Army needs a revision of the continental staff system to include provisions for a 10 Cell.  This cell would advise commanders on all forms of fashion, art and music as our entire Army is seriously lacking in all three departments.  Nothing worse than walking in to an Officers Mess and seeing Majors and Lieutenant Colonels wearing the same collared shirt they bought at Value Village back when they were subalterns along with their Merrell hiking shoes.  Meanwhile, jeans are still banned from the mess, even if they're designer quality and fit nicely with a blazer. 

In other words, we need a fashion police, who could also provide valuable feedback on colour coordination and be a filter for crap art work and swag that comes out of the various PR depts within the institution!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 01:17:48 by Humphrey Bogart »

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2016, 10:24:58 »
Meanwhile, jeans are still banned from the mess, even if they're designer quality and fit nicely with a blazer. 

Not in RCAF Messes, at least the ones I've been to.  :nod:

*insert joke about how the Air Force doesn't have "traditions", only "habits"*
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Lightguns

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I live for trout and deer
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2016, 10:33:27 »
That means another effin' bin of flags at the war surplus store to maneuver around.
Done, 34 years, 43 days complete, got's me damn pension!

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2016, 17:41:48 »
So, I would guess that makes him an EX-01 or EX-02 with a staff of some size?  How much does that consume in the way of SWE, PYs and the attention of senior committees and generals?  Where we annually return large sums of Vote 5 Capital, this fashion and bling organization represents an actual operational requirement not staffed, not procured, and not implemented.
I followed up and found he is an AS-06 (one step down from EX-01).  In ADM(Mat) his SWE would buy a PM for a major crown project.

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2016, 17:49:47 »
I followed up and found he is an AS-06 (one step down from EX-01).  In ADM(Mat) his SWE would buy a PM for a major crown project.

While he may be down one on the org chart, generally it would be AS-06, AS-07, then EX-01.

Pay scales: https://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pubs_pol/hrpubs/coll_agre/rates-taux-eng.asp and https://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/psm-fpfm/pay-remuneration/rates-taux/rapaceexunemtb-eng.asp

This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Sandyson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2016, 21:16:12 »
No, no, no!  You guys have got it all wrong.  I think all formation commanders should design, sew and embroider from a rocking chair by candle light, his/her own flag on assuming command.

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2016, 21:39:30 »
Given that the Army HQ dictates units/sub-units/sub-sub-units for the Managed Readiness Plan, at least that would give formation commanders something to do.

Mission Command in the Canadian Army is a theory, not something practised day by day.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Nikola Canada

• Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2016, 22:52:05 »
Needs more maple leafs.

Then you might like this version someone posted on Reddit:

"My Country is my cathedral,
The northern sky its dome.
They all call it Canada,
But I call it home."

Offline ThunderT

• Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2016, 15:40:49 »
Then you might like this version someone posted on Reddit:

We need a weaponized flag like this that can induce epileptic seizures in the enemy. The future is now.