Author Topic: Previous drug use question 2002 - 2018 [Merged]  (Read 578938 times)

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: Previous drug use question 2002 - 2018 [Merged]
« Reply #1075 on: December 24, 2013, 13:40:13 »
Is this one of the elves Santa fired?  :nod:

for drug use...... ::)
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Offline Deeay

• Rate Post
« Reply #1076 on: January 19, 2014, 23:18:48 »
Hi there everyone,

So I have a quick question regarding processing and past substance use. I sent in my application to find employment within the Canadian Forces as an infantry soldier or combat engineer(Reg Force). I soon later heard back from them and booked my CFAT. I qualified for the trades I selected and when asked to fill out the form regarding past drug use I answered honestly. About 3 years ago I used marijuana for roughly 3 months before stopping because I was not happy with the choices I made. I have matured immensely since then and I am very excited for the opportunity to be able to serve my country. My question is will the Forces hold my past against me? Im supposed to call on Wednesday to confirm a date for my medical, but im just worried that my honesty may lead to disaster, and me not being considered as a candidate for my trade. Thankyou!

Offline Hatchet Man

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1077 on: January 20, 2014, 00:25:06 »
Seriously??  I pulled up 7 threads, including the MASSIVE 41 page thread on this topic.  Your post and situation is in now way shape or form unique.  Start reading.

And for the record ANYONE professing to know whether or not certain kinds of drug use is acceptable, and is not a MILITARY CAREER COUNSELOR, currently looking at an applicant file AND the current guidlines is talking out of their a$$ and needs to stay in their lane.

LOCKED.

Hatchet Man
Milnet.ca Staff

Offline Hatchet Man

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1078 on: January 20, 2014, 00:44:10 »
I have consolidated several more threads into this, locked and stickied it.  At 42 pages in length (might take a few hours to read..so what) if you can't find your answers (unlikely) and are still worried about whether your use disqualifies you, then you will just have to roll the dice and accept the consequences for the poor life decisions YOU made.

Any further posts I find will be removed, and I have asked my fellow DS to do like wise.  If this bothers you, PM one of us, and we can discuss it with you (note you probably won't like what we have to say).

Hatchet Man
Milnet.ca Staff

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #1079 on: March 09, 2014, 10:05:46 »
This was raised in another thread by a few who thought drug use in foreign jurisdictions where certain practices illegal here were considered decriminalized:

Hello,

I lurked through the Drug Use Mega Threat but could not find an answer to my question.

Previously I spent time living in Europe as part of an exchange program. During that time, I smoked marijuana regularly. Where I was living, it was heavily decriminalized and very tolerated. If I applied, I am prepared to admit this on my application but I am curious to know how this affects me

Would the same standard of 6 months without usage apply to me or would it have to be longer?

thanks

Drug use is drug use, no matter where it was done.  The Canadian Armed Forces policies on smoking Marijuana (all drug use) apply no matter where (in the world) you may have smoked it (used).

Also in reply to that Thread:

Guess what kids: You're trying to join the Canadian Military. Nobody gives a rat's *** about your barracks room lawyering about your drug abuse; ('heavily decriminalized' is not the same as 'legal'). We have lots of people knocking at the door. We can readily fill our ranks with people who have exhibited better judgment than to abuse drugs because they could get away with it. You didn't just decide to join the military yesterday, presumably- you've had this as a plan for a while.

If you have that much concern over 'the realm of control the government has over an individual', this is probably the wrong organization for you- and I say that as someone who is a STRONG believer in civil liberties, but also an infantry NCO. Given that you can face a charge under the national defence act (federal legislation) for showing up five minutes late for work or telling your boss to eff off, you may take it as a given that somewhat stricter standards and expectations are applied to the military.

There are plenty of members of the CF who have done stupid things in the past (and drug use is stupid), but they accepted whatever consequences resulted, and they sorted themselves out over time. Be prepared for a potentially lengthy wait if you have recent drug use. Simply put- until we are sure that we can get a proper estimation of your judgment, we don't need you. If my answer offends you, too bad.

REMEMBER this:

You are applying for employment in Canada, and Canadian Laws apply, not foreign laws.

DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline GraemeCaughill

• Rate Post
« Reply #1080 on: May 29, 2014, 20:05:37 »
Alright,
so i have gotten past my formal interview and had a great medical. i was asked after my cfat to explain my past usage of marijuana in highschool, both the officer who gave me my CFAT results and my file manager passed off my file as being clear to continue and with my honesty they saw no issues. i was asked a few questions about drugs in my medical interview but nothing major. After my file returned from the RMO i was sent a letter saying that due to my past usage i would have to administer a urinary drug test and an assessment of drug addiction. i have no issues with doing the tests as i have absolutely nothing to hide and have been totally clean for over 5 years, but my question is more with the reasoning to why this would have happened if my file had been cleared on those issues already? i was also told that i wasnt supposed to have my medical until may 1st but i had it april 10th. the officer after my CFAT made it clear and had me initial my sheet that i had not been in contact with drugs for sometime and my file wouldnt have been held. but it still showed up to my medical officer that i wasnt supposed to have my medical until may.

again, i have nothing to hide and am happy to show them i am a clean and sober individual, however this has been a strange event and sort of worry some to me. i am hoping my new wait for my medical to return from the RMO wont be too long!!

sorry for the length, but any insights or previous experiences like this would be appreciated! thanks!
Recruiting Center: CFRC Hamilton
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice:Combat Engineer
Application Date: August, 2013
First Contact: January 10, 2014
CFAT completed : February 13, 2014 PASSED
Medical completed: April 10, 2014 PASSED
Interview Completed: April 10, 2014 PASSED
Second Interview: April 27th, 2015 PASSED
Merit Listed: May 7th, 2015
Position offered:June 10, 2015 Combat Engineer
Sworn in: July 15th, 2015
Basic Training: July 27, 2015

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #1081 on: May 29, 2014, 20:45:09 »
The CAF wants a medical professional to assess your addiction (due to previous use). Just like they can't take your word for it that the broken back you had in high school is "fine now" (just an example here, not personally linked), they likely want someone to assess that you're as clean as you say you are. Recruiting Center has no control on what the MO wants to certify you as medically fit, but as you said you have nothing to hide, so jump through the hoop. Consider it practice for your career in the CAF, constant hoop-jumping.

Offline AlphaBravo

Ready, Aye, Ready.

• Rate Post
« Reply #1082 on: May 29, 2014, 20:57:04 »
Just out of curiosity, I tried marijuana once in 2009 hated the way it made me feel. Will I likely have to do the same thing? I was honest with them but it would suck waiting 6 weeks to get notified that I have to jump through this hoop.
Ready, Aye, Ready

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1083 on: May 29, 2014, 21:50:59 »
To the OP:  I'm glad someone else answered your question as I was trying to figure out just what it was you were asking.  All I got out of it was that they want you to do a urine test for drugs. (I think....).  The rest of it about the date for the medical seemed to be unnecessary.  Anyway, if you were honest, then, as you say, you have nothing to worry about.

Just a couple pieces of advice here.  One:  Please start using proper capitalization, punctuation, etc.  I hope you read the guidelines when you joined, asking that English or French be used to the best of your ability.  Two:  Before starting a new topic (you've started four, for issues that have been covered here), do a search.  I'm not saying don't ask your questions, I'm saying I'm sure there's threads already here that would be appropriate for those questions to be asked in.  That makes it so much easier when someone else is searching later.

Just my  :2c:
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Hatchet Man

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1084 on: May 29, 2014, 23:28:09 »
Locked.   See the massive drug use thread for further information

HM

Staff.

Offline armydreamin

• Rate Post
« Reply #1085 on: March 13, 2015, 23:57:45 »
Hey guys,

Been looking into applying for quite some time. I'm just curious as to how long it has to have been since the last time or if you ever has used any anabolics or anything for you to be eligible to apply for the Army.

Used steroids when I was young and dumb back in high school, lots of people using where I'm from. That was about a year ago. Would I be okay to go through with the application?

I know for things like weed it was a 6 month wait before you're okay to apply, but I never used that stuff.

Any info on this would be appreciated.

I was obviously going to admit to it on the medical questionnaire. As well, my doctor kind of knows about the AAS usage, will go see him and confirm if it's on my medical records. I don't know if it is, would I be able to ask for that sort of information?

Offline armydreamin

• Rate Post
« Reply #1086 on: March 14, 2015, 03:52:57 »
Thank you, but the only thing I can't seem to find is does the 6 month rule apply to all drugs? As steroids are the only ones I've done.

As well, are there members in the Military on TRT? I had my bloods checked and they are low ever since that mistake I made. If I were to get a script for TRT, would this make me ineligible for a position in the Army?

Offline ArmyDoc

• Rate Post
« Reply #1087 on: March 14, 2015, 08:59:44 »
Thank you, but the only thing I can't seem to find is does the 6 month rule apply to all drugs? As steroids are the only ones I've done.

As well, are there members in the Military on TRT? I had my bloods checked and they are low ever since that mistake I made. If I were to get a script for TRT, would this make me ineligible for a position in the Army?
Only the Recruiting Medical Officer can answer that, and they don't respond to enrollment medical questions on this board. See your recruiting centre if you're interested in joining.

Offline cryco

Just looking.

• Rate Post
« Reply #1088 on: March 14, 2015, 10:00:19 »
I was obviously going to admit to it on the medical questionnaire. As well, my doctor kind of knows about the AAS usage, will go see him and confirm if it's on my medical records. I don't know if it is, would I be able to ask for that sort of information?

You are allowed, at any time, to go through your medical records. You can request a copy from your doc.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health/want-your-medical-records-be-prepared-to-pay-a-lot/article9755471/

Btw, it doesn't always cost a lot, but I've always been charged between 20-50 for such types of services, since I go to a semi-private clinic (they charge for everything, assuming your insurance will cover it - greedy bast....)

Offline Hatchet Man

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1089 on: March 14, 2015, 17:10:58 »
Merged with prior drug use thread

Amrydreamin, read this entire thread, including the posts I made regarding how long you have to wait.  And no I will not unlock this, or allow you to post any other topics in this regard. Also don't even think of PM'ing me to reconsider or answer questions until you have read this entire thread.

Hatchet Man
Staff

Offline Dreamac

• Rate Post
« Reply #1090 on: July 17, 2015, 21:26:20 »
After searching through the forums, I was unable to find a solid answer to this question.

My husband applied last week and has his aptitude test next week.  We are concerned about one aspect of the interview and medical.

During his teen years, my husband experimented with drugs, not just marijuana.  He hasn't used any drugs for nearly 10 years (he is 27).  He, like many young people, got in with a wrong crowd in high school.  Could his previous drug use prevent him from being accepted?  When asked if he's a drug user, should he acknowledge his previous drug use?  He was not an addict, just a typical experimenting teenager.

Thanks in advance,

DreaMac

(I apologize if this question has been asked and answered previously.  If it has, could you please provide a link, as I cannot find it.)
-DreaMac

Online Bruce Monkhouse

Is a pinball wizard.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline Leeworthy

• Rate Post
« Reply #1092 on: July 18, 2015, 12:22:26 »
Your hubby will be asked about drug use, what and when during his application process. He will also be asked about it in detail when he does his interview. It is up to the recruiters doing his file as to what the outcome will be.

Offline Dreamac

• Rate Post
« Reply #1093 on: July 18, 2015, 12:49:09 »
I've read through the merged thread on drug use questions, but have not seen anything relevant to our situation.

I realize that it is case by case, but I am more curious about the general rule on things.

For instance, if you tried cocaine, 10-11 years ago, never having done it again, could this prevent you from being accepted?  Most of the posts I have read are about pot with a few about PCP.  What about Ecstacy?  Didn't see anything about that either.  If you tried X 10-11 years ago, could that prevent you from getting accepted? 

I read through 44 pages of forum looking for an answer, and I've seen nothing on the drugs I am curious about, and the 10-11 year since using.  Most are 2 years or less.

Thanks.
-DreaMac

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #1094 on: July 18, 2015, 13:09:27 »
Dreamac

Drugs.....Illegal drugs....All drugs that are not prescribed by a doctor or legally sold over the counter, apply to the question about past drug use.  If in 44 pages you have not read of any cases similar to what may apply to your husband in this situation, there is not much we can say.  It will be up to your husband to answer truthfully to any questions concerning this matter during his application process.  Can we tell you here what the outcome will be?  NO.  It will be a decision made at the Recruiting Center your husband is visiting. 
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline CanadaWest

• Rate Post
« Reply #1095 on: October 26, 2015, 17:17:17 »
I have had my application accepted, however I realize I will have to do a medical sooner or later and I know a drug test is part of that. I am really worried as I have experimented with marijuana in the recent past and I want to know if I should be worried.

Thanks

Offline CanadaWest

• Rate Post
« Reply #1096 on: October 26, 2015, 17:21:53 »
Thanks. This is from '02. Has anything changed?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 17:29:07 by CanadaWest »

Offline CanadaWest

• Rate Post
« Reply #1097 on: October 26, 2015, 17:52:55 »
Last post: July 18, 2015

Okay thanks. Oh and one last question somewhat unrelated. Does the medical include a blood test?

Online medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #1098 on: October 26, 2015, 18:03:20 »
Okay thanks. Oh and one last question somewhat unrelated. Does the medical include a blood test?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  It's a coin flip thing we do for random reasons.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline Pwegman

• Rate Post
« Reply #1099 on: October 26, 2015, 18:04:45 »
Have you done your CFAT ? Because after you've done it they pass you a form when you have to write down all non prescribed drug that you have tried or use. And this is where you may have a hold up on you application process, if its been less than a year since the last time you make some usage of weed. . I was in the same boat, i choose to be honest  and  I had to wait 1 year because of pass use, before being allowed to continue my recruiting process and that's probably whats going to happen there for you. But important thing , don't lie about that . - sorry for my english. and Good luck for the rest of your process.  :salute:
Recruting Center: Quebec
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: ACISS
Application Date: October 05, 2014
First Contact: October 16, 2014
CFAT completed :November 17, 2014 ( Success!! )
Interview completed:November 4th 2015 (Success!! )
Medical Completed:November 10th 2015 (Success!!)
Merit Listed: November 30th 2015
Position offered: December 8th
Enrollment/swearing in: January 27th 2016
BMQ: February 8th 2016
BMQ-L: May 23rd 2016
DP1.0 : October 27th 2016 to February 27th