Author Topic: Component Transfers (Reserve to Regular): Q&A  (Read 801397 times)

Offline runormal

• Rate Post
Re: Component Transfers (Reserve to Regular): Q&A
« Reply #1350 on: January 17, 2018, 17:51:10 »
I was hoping to get some advice from some people who've gone through the CT (with OT) process as well as having to redo the CFAT for a second or third try.

Back in August I scheduled an appointment with the BPSO to rewrite the CFAT for the third time. There's no guarantee that I'll be given the rewrite, but I'm trying to stay optimistic. All I've had to do was take an online HS level math course which I just wrote the exam for on Thursday and I feel very confident that I surpassed the military's standards of achieving a minimum of 69% in that course. So basically I'm just waiting to get my transcripts back to send to the BPSO along with a practice log of math question that I've been working on as well as a statement of why I deserve to rewrite.

I'm hoping to CT( with an OT) from the reserves. I've heard stories and did research to see how long CT (OT) take and some of them are quick while others can be dragged out. Do you guys think it would be smart to put in my CT while I wait for my CFAT waiver to go through or am I thinking to far ahead right now? I'm just trying to minimize my wait times, while studying very hard for hopefully my last chance at the rewrite.

Thanks guys

You'd be stupid not to put it in in now. It won't get actioned tomorrow.

Offline RoninMedic

• Rate Post
« Reply #1351 on: January 18, 2018, 09:58:07 »
My CT(OT) took exactly one year. 

Offline Inf613

• Rate Post
« Reply #1352 on: January 24, 2018, 19:09:36 »
They don't decide on your CT. This should all have been explained to you by your chain of command.

All the PSO does is interview you and make an assessment as to whether or not you would be suitable for the trade you are applying to CT to.

Once he's interviewed you, he'll write a "PSO's Assessment" and send it back to your unit/Ottawa.

Each base is different, and I don't know if there is a Standard. The report is very short and literally could be done in an hour after your interview. However, if the PSO you're be interviewed at is the in the GTA... then it could be a few months...
What happens once the PSO's Assess. is sent to the unit? The unit decides? Who makes things happen? Do you know the process?

Offline Inf613

• Rate Post
« Reply #1353 on: January 24, 2018, 19:51:47 »
Just wondering what exactly are the steps taken in a CT from RES to REGF.
1. Mbr applies
2. Mbr chosen
3. PSO interview
Then what exactly happens from here on?
Is there always pso interview involved or is it only when transfering to a spec trade? Because ive heard of guys going straight to reg without an interview (however they were keeping same trade, maybe this is why?)

Offline Inf613

• Rate Post
« Reply #1354 on: January 24, 2018, 20:02:08 »
Just wondering what exactly are the steps taken in a CT from RES to REGF.
1. Mbr applies
2. Mbr chosen
3. PSO interview
Then what exactly happens from here on?
Is there always pso interview involved or is it only when transfering to a spec trade? Because ive heard of guys going straight to reg without an interview (however they were keeping same trade, maybe this is why?)

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1355 on: January 24, 2018, 20:11:19 »
You can CT, or CT/OT.  If you do a straight CT (staying in trade) there is no need for the PSO interview; you've already met the standard for the trade.  If changing trades, there will be an interview, and potentially other selection mechanisms (MPAC, Aircrew, NOAB etc).

If you are OT'ing, the PSO interview will occur prior to selection.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Inf613

• Rate Post
« Reply #1356 on: January 24, 2018, 20:38:26 »
You can CT, or CT/OT.  If you do a straight CT (staying in trade) there is no need for the PSO interview; you've already met the standard for the trade.  If changing trades, there will be an interview, and potentially other selection mechanisms (MPAC, Aircrew, NOAB etc).

If you are OT'ing, the PSO interview will occur prior to selection.
i am ot ct from res inf to reg mse op. After pso interview, he will make an assessment. Where does he send that? What are the final processes...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 22:42:00 by Inf613 »

Offline knawktwice

• Rate Post
« Reply #1357 on: January 31, 2018, 08:00:21 »
contact your broker, they will be able to give you the info youre looking for and keep you in the loop of whats happening with your CT

Offline Jstewart99

• Rate Post
« Reply #1358 on: March 01, 2018, 13:33:15 »
I am an infantry reservist of 2 years. Currently in college for police foundations first year. By the time i transfer to reg force Ill most likely have 4+ years as a reservist(Joined at 16) so I have several questions as follows:
1) My primary goal is to get into the MP's however if I don't, I'm debating between Vehicle Tech and MSEOP. I'm wondering which trade is the more ideal backup/go? I like the Infantry part time however, It's not something I want to be doing with my entire career. I did a co-op at Honda back in high school which I was told i did fairly well at. Ideally I am trying to get into the police force civilian side but I'm being realistic and looking at my options in the military.
2) Will I start at a higher pay rate than private pay rate 1 with my past military experience?
3) Is there PT in battalion daily with service trades like MSEOP and Vtech? I'm in shape I'd like to stay that way.
4) Chances of me needing to re-do BMQ/Land? (Aware the trades course I will need to do)
5) Bit of off the topic question however, just curious if dogs are allowed on base/ is it a common occurrence to own a dog while active duty?

Thanks for any information.

Offline CountDC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1359 on: March 01, 2018, 15:41:43 »
1. only you can really decide. Do the research on the trades and figure out which best suits you.  In the cases listed a good start would be do you prefer driving or fixing vehicles ( I would be MSEOP).
2. that will depend on when you get the ct.  There is a calculation they will do based on what is shown on your MPRR to determine this answer.
3.  this will depend on where you are posted.  I have had postings that are PT on your own an other that was group PT and an other that was a mix of own PT with group every Friday.
4.  normally non-trade courses are granted so no you shouldn't have to redo your BMQs
5.  I have owned dogs since 2004 and lived in PMQ at one point.  Just be aware that there can be challenges if you are single such as who takes care of your pets if you are deployed for 6 months or a year.  Also there was a recent policy/canforgen?? issued in regards to dogs in the work place, basics was that it must be a certified service dog and authorized by the CO.  The common practice of bringing rover into work simply because you want to is not within regs.

"When the power of love, overcomes the love of power....the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix [1942-1970]

Offline Ajacied34

• Rate Post
« Reply #1360 on: March 26, 2018, 21:32:44 »
At the beginning of the month I was offered the chance to CT over to the reg force. However, unfortunately I had to decline as the current company I started working for out of university was making contributions towards paying off my student loan for my first year of employment. If I had accepted the offer, I would have had to pay the company back and I do not have that kind of liquidity available to pay them back nor would it have been wise to throw myself back into debt. I was advised that my 'cool down' period until I can resubmit my application is April 1st.

I plan on resubmitting my CT as my 1st year of employment with this company was May 2017 thus relinquishing me of any obligations moving forward. My question is, because I did not accept the initial offer, will I be 'black listed' or have my file ignored as a result?

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1361 on: March 26, 2018, 21:36:50 »
Have you tried contacting your CT broker to ask about deferring your acceptance into May?  If you explain the situation they may be willing to "put you on hold", so to speak.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication

Offline Ajacied34

• Rate Post
« Reply #1362 on: March 26, 2018, 23:33:24 »
Have you tried contacting your CT broker to ask about deferring your acceptance into May?  If you explain the situation they may be willing to "put you on hold", so to speak.

I did not, I always sort of figured it was a straight yes or no answer. There's no harm in trying although I figure my file's probably been closed now.

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1363 on: March 26, 2018, 23:38:57 »
I did not, I always sort of figured it was a straight yes or no answer. There's no harm in trying although I figure my file's probably been closed now.

The worst that will happen is they will say "No."  But if you give the context ("I'd have had to repay money I did not have, but that problem's gone 01 May") they may well be willing to reconsider.  A straight "No" to the offer is very different from a "No, but..."

Offline Stinton93

• Rate Post
« Reply #1364 on: March 27, 2018, 17:49:36 »
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 19:04:24 by Stinton93 »

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #1365 on: March 27, 2018, 18:03:23 »
At the beginning of the month I was offered the chance to CT over to the reg force. However, unfortunately I had to decline as the current company I started working for out of university was making contributions towards paying off my student loan for my first year of employment. If I had accepted the offer, I would have had to pay the company back and I do not have that kind of liquidity available to pay them back nor would it have been wise to throw myself back into debt. I was advised that my 'cool down' period until I can resubmit my application is April 1st.

I plan on resubmitting my CT as my 1st year of employment with this company was May 2017 thus relinquishing me of any obligations moving forward. My question is, because I did not accept the initial offer, will I be 'black listed' or have my file ignored as a result?

You'll find CT brokers and your RegF career manager can be accommodating if your request is reasonable. I had my COS date changed as I was just finishing a course, just had to make sure my transfer was completed during that current fiscal year.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 18:31:04 by PuckChaser »

Offline Stinton93

• Rate Post
« Reply #1366 on: March 27, 2018, 18:26:18 »
Is that reply directed towards me?

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #1367 on: March 27, 2018, 18:31:31 »
Is that reply directed towards me?

No, there was a topic merge and I've added in the quote to clarify.

Offline Stinton93

• Rate Post
« Reply #1368 on: March 27, 2018, 18:46:05 »
See also,

OP: Stinton93
https://milnet.ca/forums/index.php/topic,127683.msg1527212.html#msg1527212

Yes the other post was another Post in another section by me. Any advice / ideas you could offer?

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #1369 on: March 27, 2018, 19:00:04 »
Yes the other post was another Post in another section by me. Any advice / ideas you could offer?

Just this,

"•You will not spam the boards. This is usually described as making the same post over and over, or the same post to multiple forums or threads."
https://milnet.ca/forums/index.php/topic,24937.msg35410.html#msg35410

Offline Stinton93

• Rate Post
« Reply #1370 on: March 27, 2018, 19:04:51 »
Just this,

"•You will not spam the boards. This is usually described as making the same post over and over, or the same post to multiple forums or threads."
https://milnet.ca/forums/index.php/topic,24937.msg35410.html#msg35410

Noted and fixed. There is only one post remaining

Offline CasptainSanchez

• Rate Post
« Reply #1371 on: April 03, 2018, 12:59:21 »
Hello all,
I applied for a CT to ROTP in January and I've had my interview conducted by the CFRC. Is it just a waiting game at this point now?
Recruiting Centre: Winnipeg (MB)
Entry plan: ROTP (CT from Primary Reserve)
Choice 1: INF O
Choice 2: MPO
Choice 3: Int O

Applied:        Feb  05/17
First Contact: Feb 21/17
CFAT/TSD:    Oct 24/17
Medical:        Nov 16/17
Merit Listed:  N/A
Position Offered:   13 June 2018 - Inf O
Swearing In:   03 October 2017
BMOQ:   02 July 2018

Offline Canuck_55555

• Rate Post
« Reply #1372 on: April 04, 2018, 22:14:20 »
Just wondering how long it will take for an Artillery reserve (planning on going reserve in university) to go to regular.
Thank you for your time.

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1373 on: April 04, 2018, 22:17:08 »
Just wondering how long it will take for an Artillery reserve (planning on going reserve in university) to go to regular.
Thank you for your time.

Short answer: Lots of variables in each and every case, so it depends.

Offline smile

• Rate Post
« Reply #1374 on: April 06, 2018, 20:04:31 »
Thank you for your time.
It took my file 3 years before I received any notification on my CT

Can someone also help me understand whether a fully qualified DP2/QL5 Cpl is entitled to keep his rank upon a CT? I was in for 5 years yet bumped down to an untrained Pte because total service time didn't even entitle me to a trained Pte. This has been frustrating me for a while and would appreciate any real references.