Author Topic: BMQ 2018 - Reserves  (Read 4113 times)

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: BMQ 2018 - Reserves
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2018, 08:03:48 »
That being said, the standard for physical fitness is the FORCE test, so as long as you can pass that, you've met the standard.

The expectation on BMQ is that you not quit. If you can't run 5km, run as far as you can, then trot, then walk; just don't quit. Obviously, if you start experiencing legitimate medical issues because you're pushing yourself to hard, THEN ok, quit, lol. But by quit I mean quit the run and seek medical attention, not quit BMQ. Don't quit that.
"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Offline ontheedge

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2018, 11:27:01 »
Kind of related - I saw it posted that prior to BMQ a soldier is “moving around chairs”.

I am expecting a potential long time before working out details of my BMQ and/or BMOQ. 

Let’s say the regiment needs their officer ASAP.

Will the soldier get involved in officer type tasks prior to his BMQ/BMOQ?  Or will he literally just be showing up for drills and moving around chairs until his coursework is complete??

Also I’m guessing pay rate will depend solely on BMQ/BMOq completion even if the soldier is doing more advanced work?

I’m asking for reserves.

LightFighter

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2018, 11:41:10 »
Kind of related - I saw it posted that prior to BMQ a soldier is “moving around chairs”.

I am expecting a potential long time before working out details of my BMQ and/or BMOQ. 

Let’s say the regiment needs their officer ASAP.

Will the soldier get involved in officer type tasks prior to his BMQ/BMOQ?  Or will he literally just be showing up for drills and moving around chairs until his coursework is complete??

Also I’m guessing pay rate will depend solely on BMQ/BMOq completion even if the soldier is doing more advanced work?

I’m asking for reserves.

As an OCdt without BMOQ you could do some basic admin work if required and perhaps get some lessons on battle procedure in addition to learning the basics(drill, C7 TOETs, etc).

Regardless of the work you do, you are paid according to your rank. 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 15:48:17 by Pickle Rick »

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2018, 11:43:23 »
Will the soldier get involved in officer type tasks prior to his BMQ/BMOQ? 

Question on parading with your reserve unit 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=112201.0
OP: "What will I be doing as a unqualified pvt on parade nights? My BMQ is in January so I will start parading 3 months prior to BMQ"

Offline Dmitri

• Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2018, 11:00:07 »
I’m asking for reserves.

Hello OnTheEdge, I just recently enrolled as an Infantry Officer in a Reserve Unit in the Montreal Area. It's been a month and a half and I could tell you my experience so far:

Upon joining, we were assigned to the 4th Platoon, which is where all the recruits in my unit go (officer or not). I'm always with my platoon (or sometimes only my section), and we're doing the same things. Drill training, physical activities, lectures, etc. We're also often offered opportunities to come more often, which is great considering we're haven't even started BMQ/BMOQ. I already did two night shifts when another unit stayed at our armory for the weekend. I also participated during the Open Doors day. My section commander, who is also an Officer Cadet (who has completed BMQ) has already been introduced to administrative work and is doing great. My platoon commander is also an Officer Cadet (awaiting promotion to 2LT as he has already completed his Phase II). If you have some more questions, feel free to send me a message and I'll try to answer as best I can!

Good luck with your application.
Infantry Officer Cadet (Reserves)
4th Battalion, Royal 22nd Regiment