Author Topic: Army can't give their old tanks away  (Read 1974 times)

Online Spencer100

• Rate Post
Army can't give their old tanks away
« on: July 10, 2018, 10:27:11 »

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
Re: Army can't give their old tanks away
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 10:30:56 »
Whats a Tank Sqn, 25 hulls? Why can't we just throw them all in Wainwright, pick the best 25 and use them as OPFOR vehicles, cannibalizing the parts from the unused ones to get some more life out of them? Heck we're doing it with the LSVW/HLVW already, and those trucks don't have replacements.

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 10:41:14 »
We are already short of maintainers; who will keep them running?
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Online Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 10:58:11 »
Contractors, maybe?
Living the lean life

Offline MJP

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 11:09:17 »
Whats a Tank Sqn, 25 hulls? Why can't we just throw them all in Wainwright, pick the best 25 and use them as OPFOR vehicles, cannibalizing the parts from the unused ones to get some more life out of them? Heck we're doing it with the LSVW/HLVW already, and those trucks don't have replacements.

Lack of maintainers
Lack of parts
Running legacy crses (which means that the schools have to have hulls/turrets as well IOT teach)
The only thing Wainwright has going for it is infrastructure as we built a beautiful LAV barn, that is not full of LAVs.

We can barely limp across the line at each MR with the current fleet, adding more tanks doesn't help.
Hope is not a valid COA

Online 211RadOp

• Rate Post
  • Now is the tyme....damn missed again....Now is the
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 11:26:16 »
https://globalnews.ca/news/4318852/canada-fails-to-find-buyer-for-surplus-army-tanks-final-attempt-to-sell-to-jordan-armed-forces-fizzles/

Jordon doesn't want the old LEO 1.  I would bet there stuff is newer than the CAF's  :rofl:

From what I can find, they have 5 MBTs but only have 2 types in service. 4 Bns of Al-Hussien (Challenger 1's) and 4 Bns of M60 Phoenix.  The other 3, currently not in use are the Khalid (Chieftain FV4030/2), the M60A1 and the Tariq.  I found an article saying they bought some T-72's from Poland, but can't find them listed anywhere.
“Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes." Jim Carrey
"Do unto others, then run." Benny Hill
"There's no better feeling in the world than a warm pizza box on your lap." Kevin James

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 12:21:04 »

I thought that our usual policy was to give the obsolete, old and ugly cr*p to the reserves :)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 12:21:18 »
Contractors, maybe?

Sounds like a plan, we contract everything else out.

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 13:55:59 »
Oddly enough, contractors expect to get paid for their work.  So where will we take the money to pay contractors from?  Revert all the signallers to non-spec pay?
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 14:08:36 »
Oddly enough, contractors expect to get paid for their work.  So where will we take the money to pay contractors from?  Revert all the signallers to non-spec pay?
Sure, I'm already non spec.