Author Topic: Rising Star Simon Cox: Decorated in the military, building oil and gas  (Read 2769 times)

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
A week after he returned from a nine-month combat mission as a company commander in Afghanistan, with constant enemy threat, firefights and NATO gunship strikes fresh in mind, Simon Cox settled into his new job at the Royal Bank of Canada as a financial planner.

“It was very surreal to sit back and look around my office,” Cox recalls.

He remembers that day not only for its stark contrast but also because it was his 30th birthday. Up until then, his life was the military. He had already served in two international operations (the first was Bosnia-Herzegovina, where he led a platoon in support of peace operations).

In some ways, Cox’s life trajectory was set while growing up. His father was in the military and moved the family from one army base to another across the country every couple years.

Cox joined the cadets at age 12. Then after high school, he moved to Calgary to study military and Canadian history at the University of Calgary while training as an infantry officer. His goal, at the time, was to lead a platoon in an international operation, which he realized in Bosnia-Herzegovina shortly after finishing his degree.

Superior performance, bravery, leadership and book smarts account for Cox’s rise through the ranks. He has been richly decorated with military distinctions and, last year, he was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel in the Canadian Army Primary Reserves.

http://www.jwnenergy.com/article/2018/7/rising-star-simon-cox-decorated-military-building-oil-and-gas/
“To stand on the firing parapet and expose yourself to danger; to stand and fight a thousand miles from home when you're all alone and outnumbered and probably beaten; to spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary.”
— Jerry Pournelle —

Offline RomeoJuliet

• Donor
  • Rate Post
A week after he returned from a nine-month combat mission as a company commander in Afghanistan, with constant enemy threat, firefights and NATO gunship strikes fresh in mind, Simon Cox settled into his new job at the Royal Bank of Canada as a financial planner.

“It was very surreal to sit back and look around my office,” Cox recalls.

He remembers that day not only for its stark contrast but also because it was his 30th birthday. Up until then, his life was the military. He had already served in two international operations (the first was Bosnia-Herzegovina, where he led a platoon in support of peace operations).

In some ways, Cox’s life trajectory was set while growing up. His father was in the military and moved the family from one army base to another across the country every couple years.

Cox joined the cadets at age 12. Then after high school, he moved to Calgary to study military and Canadian history at the University of Calgary while training as an infantry officer. His goal, at the time, was to lead a platoon in an international operation, which he realized in Bosnia-Herzegovina shortly after finishing his degree.

Superior performance, bravery, leadership and book smarts account for Cox’s rise through the ranks. He has been richly decorated with military distinctions and, last year, he was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel in the Canadian Army Primary Reserves.

http://www.jwnenergy.com/article/2018/7/rising-star-simon-cox-decorated-military-building-oil-and-gas/
He’s a fine officer and a good man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CBH99

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
2Lt. Cox was actually my course officer when I first joined the Army Reserves, with the Calgary Highlanders....14yrs ago?  At the fresh recruit age of 16yo.

I remember being terrified of him.  Straight to the chase, no BS kinda guy.  Solid officer, solid man.

Blast from the past.
Fortune Favours the Bold...and the Smart.

Wouldn't it be nice to have some Boondock Saints kicking around?