Author Topic: Federal Cabinet Shuffle July 2018  (Read 2386 times)

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
Federal Cabinet Shuffle July 2018
« on: July 18, 2018, 15:10:09 »
I think Harjit Sajjan has done an ok job.  I met him this year and he seems like a nice guy who actually listens to you when you talk to him. 

I don't think he gets shuffled and I certainly wouldn't want Leslie to replace him.  The last thing the CAF needs is another O'Connor.

They need the South Asian vote too much, so he will stay in some kind of cabinet job IMHO....
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5240.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
Re: Federal Cabinet Shuffle July 2018
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 15:12:59 »
I don't know if shifting O'Regan would make a difference, he hasn't done anything since appointment. I doubt his replacement will either. If he's shifted.
Diversity includes adverse opinions, or it is not diversity.
Inclusive includes adverse opinions, or is not inclusive.

Offline Half Full

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 15:56:27 »
Has anyone figured out exactly how the new Minister of Border Security and Organized Crime Reduction will be set up?  Does CBSA and RCMP leave Public Safety for this new Ministry?
I would rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Online PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 16:08:13 »
Has anyone figured out exactly how the new Minister of Border Security and Organized Crime Reduction will be set up?  Does CBSA and RCMP leave Public Safety for this new Ministry?

No clue, but another Liberal MP gets an extra $84K as a cabinet minister.

Offline pbi

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 11:25:41 »
I think Harjit Sajjan has done an ok job.  I met him this year and he seems like a nice guy who actually listens to you when you talk to him. 

I don't think he gets shuffled and I certainly wouldn't want Leslie to replace him.  The last thing the CAF needs is another O'Connor.

I agree with you. I met the current MND when I was working on OP NANOOK last summer up n Rankin Inlet. I briefed him, and I found him to be just as you described.

I also do not want a repeat of Minister O'Connor. IMHO what the CAF needs is not another retired GOFO as MND, but an adept politician with credibility in Cabinet and the ability to navigate programs and projects through the icebergs of The House and Treasury Board. Obviously the MND needs to listen, but that's what the CDS and his crew are for: to keep him briefed and aimed in the right direction.
The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools. ...

The true measure of a man is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out...

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 12:30:13 »
Agree pbi, but is Gerald Butts listening or interested?
Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 12:34:06 »

I think he is well meaning and cares about DND and the people in it. However he is in the wrong party and the best he can do is build a hasty defense and not lose anymore ground.

Offline pbi

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 12:54:31 »
Agree pbi, but is Gerald Butts listening or interested?

No ,but I don't see any move to replace Sajian so I guess right now it doesn't matter. The Tories should start thinking about it, though.
The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools. ...

The true measure of a man is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out...

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 14:24:36 »
No ,but I don't see any move to replace Sajian so I guess right now it doesn't matter. The Tories should start thinking about it, though.

They should also think about finding a credible leader that people recognize. Trudeau might be a technical light weight, but he's got a powerful personal brand....
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5240.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 14:53:33 »
They should also think about finding a credible leader that people recognize. Trudeau might be a technical light weight, but he's got a powerful personal brand....

Suggestions?

Online PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 16:02:26 »

Four more Cabinet Minister's and he will match the Harper Government for ensuring that Party Members get the extra coin:

It has become common practice for an incoming government to shrink the size of cabinet to project an image of saving money and controlling bureaucracy, Wiseman said, then to expand it closer to an election for political advantage.

Before today's shuffle there were 30 members of cabinet, including Trudeau, evenly split by gender. The new cabinet has 35 members including Trudeau, with 17 women and 18 men.

Former Conservative prime minister Stephen Harper appointed 26 members to his first cabinet in 2006. By the time his government lost power in 2015, there were 39 ministers.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-cabinet-shuffle-2018-1.4749976
"The higher the rank, the more necessary it is that boldness should be accompanied by a reflective mind....for with increase in rank it becomes always a matter less of self-sacrifice and more a matter of the preservation of others, and the good of the whole."

Karl von Clausewitz

Online PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 16:27:55 »
Any chance for a Harper dig, right? What happened to "Real Change" and "Champion for the Middle Class"? I'm actually surprised Trudeua has a Cabinet at all, considering he shouts down opposition to his plans during caucus meetings anyways.

Online PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2018, 16:53:26 »
Any chance for a Harper dig, right? What happened to "Real Change" and "Champion for the Middle Class"? I'm actually surprised Trudeua has a Cabinet at all, considering he shouts down opposition to his plans during caucus meetings anyways.

No dig at all. Merely a statement of fact. I am dispassionate about these things - I just like to see some balance that is based in fact.

This on the other hand, does sound like a dig:

Quote from: PuckChaser on Yesterday at 15:08:13

#cognitivedissonance

"The higher the rank, the more necessary it is that boldness should be accompanied by a reflective mind....for with increase in rank it becomes always a matter less of self-sacrifice and more a matter of the preservation of others, and the good of the whole."

Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2018, 16:55:30 »
Why does the CBC article make mention of how male and female members Trudeau has but not how many Harper had?

Trudeau made a huge deal about gender parity, I can only guess Harper had a majority of male cabinet ministers right?
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5240.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2018, 17:04:56 »
Why does the CBC article make mention of how male and female members Trudeau has but not how many Harper had?

Trudeau made a huge deal about gender parity, I can only guess Harper had a majority of male cabinet ministers right?

Because Harper based his picks on qualifications and not gender.

Online PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2018, 17:11:43 »
No dig at all. Merely a statement of fact. I am dispassionate about these things - I just like to see some balance that is based in fact.

You're not dispassionate. You play that card but take every opportunity to pop in an knock someone down who isn't supporting the Liberals, but never have I seen you provide that "balance based in fact" on the other end of the political spectrum. Nobody is going to fault you for your support of the Liberal government, but you should own it and not try to say you're a neutral observer when its painfully obvious that you're not. It does your arguments a disservice to say so.

I'll also place my comment this way: Liberal Cabinet is 36 full ministers at approx $84K extra pay per year. Last Tory Cabinet had 39 members, 11 of whom where Ministers of State which make approx $60K a year and do not get the full entitlement of staffers and Parliamentary Secretaries (who make approx $20k per year for that job). The Tory Cabinet also ended up at 39 after 2 election cycles. Trudeau's done it in 2 years, all while elevating everyone to the full $84K.

If you could also explain what why we require a Minister of Border Security and Organized Crime Reduction when the Minister of Public Safety is already responsible for the RCMP and CBSA, maybe I'd be able to see why you think more Ministers are better.

Jarnhamar: For reference, Harper's last Cabinet had 12 women, 24 men.

Offline kratz

Laughter drives the sun.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2018, 17:16:49 »

PM Harper last cabinet by the election in 2015 was 39 Ministers:
24 Male = 62%
12 Female = 38%

Reference: Guide to Canadian Ministries since Confederation - Twenty-Eighth Ministry
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2018, 17:38:27 »

If you could also explain what why we require a Minister of Border Security and Organized Crime Reduction when the Minister of Public Safety is already responsible for the RCMP and CBSA, maybe I'd be able to see why you think more Ministers are better.

Jarnhamar: For reference, Harper's last Cabinet had 12 women, 24 men.

Because Ralph needs all his energy to fight the true threat to Canadian society, the legal gun owners......

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2018, 17:48:47 »
However, Kratz:

Harper last Cabinet: 12 women out of 27 MP's (for 44% of Conservative female MP's actually making it into the  Cabinet).

Trudeau's current Cabinet: 16 women out of 52 female Liberal MP's (for 31% of female MP's making it into the Cabinet).

As a side note here: Harper Cabinet: only 17% of male MP's made it into the cabinet. Trudeau's current cabinet: 13% of Liberal male MP's made it into Cabinet.

Anyone wants to argue that this gender balanced Cabinet concept makes sense or is fair?

Anyone else wants to claim that Trudeau is "superior" (in a feminist sense) toHarper in his advancement of women in politics with Harper actually appointing 25% more women MP's to Cabinet in proportion?

Just starting a conversation here - don't shoot me, argue the point.

Because Ralph needs all his energy to fight the true threat to Canadian society, the legal gun owners......

Actually, Colin, reducing the number of guns on the street of Toronto will apparently fall within the purview of our new Minister for Organized Crime Reduction (according to the National post article I read this morning). At least it's an admission (indirectly) that the gun violence problem in Canada is related to the criminal element of society, not law abiding citizens. That's an almost incredible admission from the Liberals.

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5240.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2018, 17:54:23 »
However, Kratz:

Harper last Cabinet: 12 women out of 27 MP's (for 44% of Conservative female MP's actually making it into the  Cabinet).

Trudeau's current Cabinet: 16 women out of 52 female Liberal MP's (for 31% of female MP's making it into the Cabinet).

As a side note here: Harper Cabinet: only 17% of male MP's made it into the cabinet. Trudeau's current cabinet: 13% of Liberal male MP's made it into Cabinet.

Anyone wants to argue that this gender balanced Cabinet concept makes sense or is fair?

Anyone else wants to claim that Trudeau is "superior" (in a feminist sense) toHarper in his advancement of women in politics with Harper actually appointing 25% more women MP's to Cabinet in proportion?

Actually, Colin, reducing the number of guns on the street of Toronto will apparently fall within the purview of our new Minister for Organized Crime Reduction (according to the National post article I read this morning). At least it's an admission (indirectly) that the gun violence problem in Canada is related to the criminal element of society, not law abiding citizens. That's an almost incredible admission from the Liberals.

As far as the grits are concerned, gun owners are criminals. Before we take your suggestion to the bank and believe this 'incredible admission', lets see what falls out of the gun control legislation they are going to hit us with.

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Your example, not your opinion, can cause change
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2018, 17:57:42 »
You're not dispassionate. You play that card but take every opportunity to pop in an knock someone down who isn't supporting the Liberals, but.....
You clearly don't know PPCLI Guy, accusing him being some Liberal party sycophant.   :rofl:  I've found that he has this 'nasty' habit of weighing into Politics threads with..... ~shudder~ ...verifiable facts -- usually when ideologues post propaganda, rather than reality.

Your preception, of course, may vary.

Good luck with that.  The only recent progress with Politics "discussions" is that the more hide-bound (left and  right) have moved on to expressing their 'thoughts' via political cartoons. 
There’s nothing more maddening than debating someone who doesn’t know history, doesn’t read books, and frames their myopia as virtue. The level of unapologetic conjecture I’ve encountered lately isn’t just frustrating, it’s retrogressive, unprecedented, and absolutely terrifying.
~Chris Evans

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5240.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2018, 18:00:06 »
You clearly don't know PPCLI Guy, accusing him being some Liberal party sycophant.   :rofl:  I've found that he has this 'nasty' habit of weighing into Politics threads with..... ~shudder~ ...verifiable facts -- usually when ideologues post propaganda, rather than reality.

Your preception, of course, may vary.

Good luck with that.  The only recent progress with Politics "discussions" is that the more hide-bound (left and  right) have moved on to expressing their 'thoughts' via political cartoons.

Can't get passed the cheap shots can you? :rofl:

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Your example, not your opinion, can cause change
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2018, 18:15:54 »
Can't get passed the cheap shots can you? :rofl:
a)  not sure which part you're referring to, but it doesn't really matter;  I stand by both comments.

b)  Ya, I just came back to delete my post -- because, seriously, why bother trying to contribute anything to these politics threads, but too late, it has already been quoted.  Again, I stand by it.

….and, honestly, I AM trying to avoid posting here.  I belong to other sites where intelligent political discussions occur (yes, both left and right).
There’s nothing more maddening than debating someone who doesn’t know history, doesn’t read books, and frames their myopia as virtue. The level of unapologetic conjecture I’ve encountered lately isn’t just frustrating, it’s retrogressive, unprecedented, and absolutely terrifying.
~Chris Evans

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2018, 18:20:18 »
a)  not sure which part you're referring to, but it doesn't really matter;  I stand by both comments.

b)  Ya, I just came back to delete my post -- because, seriously, why bother trying to contribute anything to these politics threads, but too late, it has already been quoted.  Again, I stand by it.

….and, honestly, I AM trying to avoid posting here. I belong to other sites where intelligent political discussions occur (yes, both left and right).
It's kind of hilarious how perspectives change depending on where you post.

On this site, i'm a diehard leftist.

On others, I'm a right leaning Liberal hater.

I get confused sometimes.
Someday I'll care about milpoints.

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2018, 18:41:23 »
John Ivison's piece in the National Post today suggests that the Cabinet Shuffle is largely cosmetic, with only one demotion of any note, and moving two ministers closer to "home" in preparation for the 2019 election:

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/john-ivison-a-new-crew-wont-change-the-direction-hmcs-trudeau-is-heading?video_autoplay=true

The real issue is the Trudeau government is still "narrative" driven and still a top down show, it really seems that almost anyone could be placed in a Cabinet post since the true importance is "optics" rather than merit (the insistence that 50% of the Cabinet must be made up of women, without any actual substantive arguments as to why this should be so, is the perfect example of this). So unless someone makes a truly spectacular gaffe in the near future, this is a non event.
Dagny, this is not a battle over material goods. It's a moral crisis, the greatest the world has ever faced and the last. Our age is the climax of centuries of evil. We must put an end to it, once and for all, or perish - we, the men of the mind. It was our own guilt. We produced the wealth of the world - but we let our enemies write its moral code.

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2018, 19:03:50 »
As far as the grits are concerned, gun owners are criminals. Before we take your suggestion to the bank and believe this 'incredible admission', lets see what falls out of the gun control legislation they are going to hit us with.

I never said that they understood what their actions were saying to the public, nor that they meant it or even realized what they were saying.  ;)

Online PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2018, 19:10:23 »
It's kind of hilarious how perspectives change depending on where you post.

Its almost like on the internet, its completely possible to post different things in different places.

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5240.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2018, 21:22:32 »
Its almost like on the internet, its completely possible to post different things in different places.
;)

I'd give you Milpoints but I already did today. :nod:

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2018, 13:46:01 »
Well,  that was fast.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4342222/liberals-polls-canadians-trudeau-trump/
As the weather gets warmer, Canadians are also warming back up to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and the Liberals — with their approval rating jumping by five points this month.

According to an exclusive Ipsos poll for Global News, 55 per cent of Canadian respondents approve of Justin Trudeau’s government, up from 50 per cent in June.
And weed isn't even legal yet.
Someday I'll care about milpoints.

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2018, 14:11:27 »
It only matters if it turns into votes. He still has to come up with something other than "it's that other guy's fault".
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.