Author Topic: Essay: How Evil Happens  (Read 853 times)

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Essay: How Evil Happens
« on: July 30, 2018, 14:43:10 »
An interesting read...

In 1941, en route from a ghetto to a concentration camp in Ukraine, a Nazi soldier beat my grandfather to death. My father witnessed this murder. His is just one of millions of similar stories, of course, and I grew up aware of how death hovered on the other side of life, and brutality on the underside of humanity. The ‘sapiens’ in Homo sapiens does not fully describe our species: we are as violent as we are smart. This might be why we are the only Homo genus left over in the first place, and why we have been so destructively successful at dominating our planet. But still the question nags away: how are ordinary people capable of such obscene acts of violence?...

...Today, biology is a powerful explanatory force for much human behaviour, though it alone cannot account for horror. Much as the neurosciences are an exciting new tool for human self-understanding, they will not explain away our brutishness. Causal accounts of the destruction that humans inflict on each other are best provided by political history – not science, nor metaphysics...

https://aeon.co/essays/is-neuroscience-getting-closer-to-explaining-evil-behaviour

Noga Arikha is a historian of ideas, particularly interested in the relation between mind and body, and in tracing the genealogy of the concepts that pertain to it. She has taught at Bard College, was on the advisory board for Prospect Magazine, and was chair of liberal studies at the Paris College of Art. Her essays have been published in Lapham's Quarterly and Architectural Digest, and she is the author of Passions and Tempers: A History of the Humours (2007). She lives in Paris.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 09:16:22 by BeyondTheNow »
~ "Don't do the dumb." ~

Offline AbdullahD

update status.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
Re: Essay: How Evil Happens
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 15:47:29 »
An interesting read...

https://aeon.co/essays/is-neuroscience-getting-closer-to-explaining-evil-behaviour

Noga Arikha is a historian of ideas, particularly interested in the relation between mind and body, and in tracing the genealogy of the concepts that pertain to it. She has taught at Bard College, was on the advisory board for Prospect Magazine, and was chair of liberal studies at the Paris College of Art. Her essays have been published in Lapham's Quarterly and Architectural Digest, and she is the author of Passions and Tempers: A History of the Humours (2007). She lives in Paris.

Thanks for that I thoroughly enjoyed it! I must re read it when I get more time and I have also shamelessly stolen it as well.

Thanks again
Abdullah