Author Topic: Motorcyclist deaths in BC have more than doubled so far this year  (Read 1374 times)

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
Be careful out there, kids:

Motorcyclist deaths in BC have more than doubled so far this year

The BC Coroner’s Service is advising all road users to be cautious over the long weekend, after a reported spike in motorcyclist deaths has come to light so far this year.

Between January and July 2018, 30 people have died in motorcycle crashes, which is more than double the amount of similar deaths reported within the same time period in 2017. Six of the 30 fatal crashes this year happened on Vancouver Island.

Over the past decade, nine out of ten decedents were male, and the majority of motorcycle-related deaths occurred in the Interior and Fraser health authority regions.

In total, between January 2008 and July 2018, 17.9% of all motorcyclist deaths in British Columbia occurred on Vancouver Island.

http://www.victoriabuzz.com/2018/08/motorcycle-deaths-in-bc-have-more-than-doubled-so-far-this-year/

"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: Motorcyclist deaths in BC have more than doubled so far this year
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 08:47:41 »
Motorcyclist deaths in BC have more than doubled so far this year
First off, I know that ads are generated based on my search history...but it appeared tacky having pictures of grilled meat on BBQs accompany the story.  :(

Secondly, while I was all set to blame you  people in your 4-wheeled cages, actually reading the article (then expanded upon by a commenter who read the source Coroner's report) spelled out that "Motorcyclist speed was contributory to 38% of deaths, and motorcyclist impairment to 34% of deaths. Overall, motorcyclist/motorcycle factors contributed to 70% of deaths."    :facepalm:

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 09:31:57 »
Remember the old adage:

"There are old riders and there are bold riders. But there are no old bold riders."

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5920.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 14:52:39 »
Germany has (had?) a graduated system for getting your M license. It was something along the lines of noting larger than a 250cc for 12 months, followed by 500cc for 12 months. IIRC, you had to have had your license for 4(?) years before you could ride anything over 1000cc. The amount of time and size may be off, it was 45 years ago. Point being you weren't allowed to move up in size until you experienced training and driving on something not so powerful. Here, every summer, many of the first and earliest accidents are students who had mommy and daddy buy them and 800cc, 0-60 in 3 seconds, crotch rocket for graduation.

The biggest drawback to the system was the large groups of 16 year old, 250cc Zundapp riders that sounded like a swarm of oversized angry bees, circling the marketplatz. ;D
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 19:13:26 »
First off, I know that ads are generated based on my search history...but it appeared tacky having pictures of grilled meat on BBQs accompany the story.  :(

Secondly, while I was all set to blame you  people in your 4-wheeled cages, actually reading the article (then expanded upon by a commenter who read the source Coroner's report) spelled out that "Motorcyclist speed was contributory to 38% of deaths, and motorcyclist impairment to 34% of deaths. Overall, motorcyclist/motorcycle factors contributed to 70% of deaths."    :facepalm:

How many of the 38% is double counted in the 34%?
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Online Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 21:56:44 »
A immigrant population with a history of scooter use, now having the money and ability to buy powerful motorcycles might be a guess, however I doubt they will collect such stats. Also the smog from the smoke might play a part as well.