Poll

Is it Stolen Valour

Yes
2 (10.5%)
No
17 (89.5%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Is this Stolen Valour  (Read 3798 times)

Offline toonietuesday

• Rate Post
Is this Stolen Valour
« on: December 06, 2018, 17:50:07 »
Hello everyone.

I walked past this the other day and it confused me, and after not really getting an answer from my usual sources I'd like to get your opinion.

Background: the setting is an RCAF pilot training establishment. a course of student pilots made a patch for themselves with "AIRBORNE" scroll across it, and they spam it with posters around the school depicting themselves getting a parachute famil. one of the students on this course is an OT Capt who has his red wings. the rest have never smelled the air around the jump school.

Question: is this considered Stolen Valour?

Edit:  Removed one picture that had personnel photos and names due to PERSEC.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 18:28:38 by garb811 »

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
Re: Is this Stolen Valour
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 18:31:25 »
Hello everyone.

I walked past this the other day and it confused me, and after not really getting an answer from my usual sources I'd like to get your opinion.

Background: the setting is an RCAF pilot training establishment. a course of student pilots made a patch for themselves with "AIRBORNE" scroll across it, and they spam it with posters around the school depicting themselves getting a parachute famil. one of the students on this course is an OT Capt who has his red wings. the rest have never smelled the air around the jump school.

Question: is this considered Stolen Valour?

Merely envy, in very bad taste, I would say:

"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 18:35:22 »
Agreed.

If the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) were to find out about this, I doubt that they would be amused.

Offline Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 18:43:20 »
Are they poking fun at themselves?

It’s a bad patch, I would have used a seagull (finding Nemo gull) instead of a falcon and changed the wording to “Barely Airborne” across the top.  That way it wouldn’t be taken seriously.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 21:30:06 »
They need five parachute descents for jump wings. That’s a very bad record for a pilot to have.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 22:57:39 »
Are they poking fun at themselves?

It’s a bad patch, I would have used a seagull (finding Nemo gull) instead of a falcon and changed the wording to “Barely Airborne” across the top.  That way it wouldn’t be taken seriously.

They're RCAF - the patch should read "HAIRBORNE".

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Welcome to the Dead Parrot's Society.
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 09:08:15 »
They need five parachute descents for jump wings. That’s a very bad record for a pilot to have.

:rofl:

I think it may be a play on words, especially if any of them have come close to pulling the handles at any point in time.

Edited to add: And "Falcon" in French, especially over the radio, could easily be mistaken for another word, which makes me think there's an inside joke going on that includes some of the students.
Stop assuming I'm a man!

Don't know how long I want to keep playing this game...

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 09:52:20 »
Just don't say "seal" in French if you're in polite company.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Downhiller229

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 17:05:56 »
I don’t really get it but I’m sure they didn’t mean to insult anyone. Stolen valour? I don’t think a bunch of pilots are into pretending they are in the army... get over yourselves

Offline fake penguin

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 17:31:05 »
Downhiller229 why does it bother you so much that toonietuesday asked if it is stolen valour?
civilian

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 20:04:24 »
Downhiller229 why does it bother you so much that toonietuesday asked if it is stolen valour?

From the guy who’s not even a real penguin... :D
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline TrapperN

• Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2018, 03:58:15 »
Stolen Valor is someone who has never served pretending they have. As for those guys. Just want to look better than they are. We are the backbone of the military. Now you know why they call us grunts. LOL

Offline X Royal

• Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2018, 21:29:14 »
Stolen Valor is someone who has never served pretending they have.
That's complete BS.
There have been many cases of those who have served adding medals or qualification badges they have never earned. That is stolen valour.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2018, 21:49:35 »
That's complete BS.
There have been many cases of those who have served adding medals or qualification badges they have never earned. That is stolen valour.

As well as a guy we discovered who was claiming that he was a speshulforcesnightknifefightingninjasniper exchanging cold steel 'toe to toe with the foe', when he was actually commanding a desk buried in the centre of KAF :)

"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2018, 22:16:30 »
That's complete BS.

It's not like they wore the badge on their uniform...  settle down cowboy..

Offline Furniture

• Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2018, 02:24:14 »
That's complete BS.
Stolen Valour requires that you pretend to be someone/something you aren't. If you are making a tongue in cheek joke it's not stolen valour, no matter how many sensitive souls you offend.

Offline Downhiller229

• Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2018, 20:35:20 »
Stolen Valour requires that you pretend to be someone/something you aren't. If you are making a tongue in cheek joke it's not stolen valour, no matter how many sensitive souls you offend.

Thank you! If people are offended by this they are taking themselves too seriously.

Offline toonietuesday

• Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2019, 15:20:15 »
Thank you! If people are offended by this they are taking themselves too seriously.

Right. so the 2Lts doubled down this week with this

« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 16:49:25 by toonietuesday »

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2019, 15:22:36 »
You appear really bothered by this. It’s kids having fun getting under someone’s fingernails. They appear to be succeeding. Give it a rest and pick your battles.

Offline toonietuesday

• Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2019, 15:29:00 »
You appear really bothered by this. It’s kids having fun getting under someone’s fingernails. They appear to be succeeding. Give it a rest and pick your battles.

you appear really bothered by my posting of this. it's me making an observation of an unusual situation. i seem to be succeeding in bothering you enough for you to claim that i should not be posting things that i find interesting. give it a rest and pick your nose.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2019, 15:34:07 »
Alrighty, I’ll go do that.

Offline toonietuesday

• Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2019, 15:37:23 »
Alrighty, I’ll go do that.

sorry you got offended  :'(

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2019, 15:42:39 »
My feelings were hurt in places Cepacol can’t even reach.

Offline Furniture

• Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2019, 15:49:43 »
you appear really bothered by my posting of this. it's me making an observation of an unusual situation. i seem to be succeeding in bothering you enough for you to claim that i should not be posting things that i find interesting. give it a rest and pick your nose.

Given that all four of your posts(at the time of writing) are in this thread you created, I'm guessing you're bored at work and trolling.

:boring:

Offline toonietuesday

• Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2019, 16:06:38 »
Given that all four of your posts(at the time of writing) are in this thread you created, I'm guessing you're bored at work and trolling.

:boring:

i'm not an army.ca forum pro like you mate. don't have time to build my street cred on army.ca where it really matters