Author Topic: Army Is Short Staff Sgt's  (Read 956 times)

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Army Is Short Staff Sgt's
« on: December 17, 2018, 16:00:48 »
You can promote people into the rank but they still cant make up for experience. I think the Army could try and get experienced E6's from the Guard and Reserve maybe make an offer that would be hard to refuse. Or do what Australia has done,we could take experienced NCO's from English speaking allies by offering a work visa and a path to citizenship.

https://www.armytimes.com/news...build-the-nco-corps/

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
Re: Army Is Short Staff Sgt's
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 00:43:52 »
Speaking completely out of my lane here, but I don't think the US Army will have as much success as the Australian Army in lateral recruitment unless their pay/benefits gets bumped up a ton to match. 
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline standingdown

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 01:14:07 »
They offer some decent re-enlistment bonuses for SOF, Cyber, Aircrew etc... no reason they couldn't do some kind of attraction bonus.

Plus, they actually have a capable and properly funded military. That appeals to people that, you know, actually want to be soldiers...

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 10:28:00 »
Unlike Canadian pay which in comparison to US pay may seem higher, but we provide pay for food,housing, and uniforms called allowances. When a member retires all he has is a base pay. The allowance system is tax free.

https://militarybenefits.info/2018-military-pay-charts/

BAH rates in Anchorage and Fairbanks by rank.BAH is in addition to base pay. If offered quarters on post then the BAH is taken. Many troops will find housing in town and use the BAH for an apartment or a house.

https://www.militaryrates.com/military-pay-bah-rates?state=ALASKA&mha=AK404

Fairbanks

https://www.militaryrates.com/military-pay-bah-rates?state=ALASKA&mha=AK405

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 10:44:24 »
Is the "Over 14" columns how many years service you have? If so, I'd be making 700 more a month (when converted US to CAD) as an E-6 without including any allowances (or using CAF LDA). Adding in the sustenance and housing allowances, an E-6 with 16 years with kids makes approx $9K CAD a month if they're posted to Ft Bragg (had to pick a base for housing rate).

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 10:59:24 »
Correct.Alaska,Hawaii and DC are expensive so the cost of living allowance and BAH are higher. Size of family and rank factor in as well.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 11:04:53 by tomahawk6 »

Online Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 11:06:15 »
Add the cost of living is less. Groceries are cheap in the US compared to Canada. Cars prices, mortgages with 30 year fixed rate term, Base Exchange, TRICARE, etc and eventually you could vote for Trump or Beto in 2020.
Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 11:16:49 »
Service members can also their VA benefit to buy a home with zero down.and under 5% for 30 year fixed.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 12:37:06 »
Is the "Over 14" columns how many years service you have? If so, I'd be making 700 more a month (when converted US to CAD) as an E-6 without including any allowances (or using CAF LDA). Adding in the sustenance and housing allowances, an E-6 with 16 years with kids makes approx $9K CAD a month if they're posted to Ft Bragg (had to pick a base for housing rate).

Sorry, do you mean you make more in Canada or the US?  I'm a high IPC Capt with aircrew allowance, and I'm not grossing $9k CAD/month.  Mind you I don't get PLD in my location.

As for the exchanges, being in one recently in Hawaii and Sigonella, the one direct benefit is the lack of tax.  Otherwise I'm not sure it's actually cheaper than outside (or in the case of name brand clothing like Levis, cheaper than in Canada when factoring in exchange rate).  Sometimes they have amazing sales but in general, I thought they were pretty similar prices.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 12:41:54 by Dimsum »
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2018, 13:25:53 »
Using the US pay charts, an E6 with 16 years in living posted to Ft Bragg, NC with a family would gross $9K CAD a month ($6700 USD). That would include their PLD version, which is BAH. That's very rough math, and where the pay/benefits gets closer is the amount of money we make on deployments through just FSP, HA and RA.

There's some comparisons on the US Army website: https://www.goarmy.com/benefits/total-compensation.html

A SigO in the US Army with a family is approx $86K USD, which works out to $115K CAD and that's only for a 1stLT (Canadian rank Lieutenant).