Author Topic: Here’s a weird one: Purple trades, do you have to wear your element?  (Read 5030 times)

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
???

I always figured NCDs were more FR than cooks’ whites...

;D

lol well played. 
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
The techs do get issued some sort of CADPAT "2 piece coverall" (not sure what the actual name is).  They're the ones that have the legs that zip off at the knees, etc.

I'd hazard a guess that 1 Cdn Air Div wants tech's in AF approved anti-static, anti-"other stuff" kit for working on aircraft?   :dunno:

The techs used to wear the old blue flight suits/coveralls. 
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
lol well played.

Good thing I didn’t shamelessness plug my naval hero CPO Casey Rybek...who often did his best work in cooks’ whites...

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
The techs used to wear the old blue flight suits/coveralls.

Admittedly, it has been awhile since I sailed, however:

The reason the air det didn't wear NCDs was strictly to make the Navy angry... ;)

Actually, the reasons were (are?):

NCDs had buttons everywhere. That is a FOD hazard. They are hot. The hangar is not air conditioned (thanks, Navy). They soak up grease. They are not (were not?) anti-static, IAW with airworthiness requirements.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
Good thing I didn’t shamelessness plug my naval hero CPO Casey Rybek...who often did his best work in cooks’ whites...

I have to agree;  that was a great documentary.
Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
From CAF pics, the current VDQ aircrew looks like they're wearing either the AR flight suit or the OTW shirts (the half-zip, first issued in Afg), and the techs look like they're wearing a different cut of CADPAT than the standard (ranks on the shoulders are the first thing I noticed).  It's probably a fire-resistant version.

They could be faded OD flight suits.  3 of my 4 are in a sad state of decoloration (ie: almost tan) and there are none in supply.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
They are in arid's on the VDQ Det.  Hmmm...looks like the RCAF Commander has a nice, new style flight suit on.  How odd!   ;)  I thought there wasn't any in the system.   :whistle:

https://www.facebook.com/RCAF.ARC/photos/pcb.10155745199136237/10155745182926237/?type=3&theater
Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
They could be faded OD flight suits.  3 of my 4 are in a sad state of decoloration (ie: almost tan) and there are none in supply.

Nah, it's the same pic that EITS has posted under yours.  Definitely new Arid stuff, and 2-piece (looks very similar to the CADPAT cut except the rank position).
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Back to the original question, the chain of command should be sensible enough to have personnel wearing whatever is appropriate to the occasion.  When I'm crawling around ships, I wear NCDs.  When I'm in the field (including weapons qualifications), I wear CADPAT and when I'm working in an air-conditioned office, I wear service dress.  It really shouldn't be that complicated.
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline Somerandomfellow

• Rate Post
Ughhh NCD uniforms are complete trash. (My opinion only)

CADPAT is the far superior uniform.

Offline Tango2Bravo

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • All your base are belong to us.
I am an Army guy in a land-centric Joint unit. RCN folks tend to wear NCDs to the office and CADPAT to the range/field. RCAF aircrew folks tend to wear flight suits to the office and CADPAT to the range/field. Seems to work.

I spent roughly six weeks sailing in CHA and HAL for a recent NATO exercise as a member of the embarked Fleet Staff. In preparation I did NETP and was accordingly issued NCDs. Without being told to do so, I wore NCDs while afloat for the exercise. I was not transiting, I was part of the staff with a duty station. I figured I would apply the same rule as the RCN folks at my unit. NCDs were practical/safe for the environment, and I found them comfortable (the fleece jacket liner - marvelous!). I was actually a little proud of my NCDs. Isn't that weird for an army guy? I will turn them in when I leave my unit, but I'd happily wear them again.

My Army CADPAT slip-ons caused some eye-brow raising/occasionally hilarious saluting confusion ashore in Halifax, but it worked as operational dress. It might be helpful if the dress regs were amended to allow Army folks to wear gold army rank insignia with NCDs. Lets face it, if a sniper had been floating around HAL I would have been the target with the least operational impact on the ship. 

Anyhoo, when in Rome, do as the Romans. 
Well-trained, older Panzer crews are the decisive factor for success...It is preferable to start off with fewer Panzers than to set out with young crews who lack combat experience.

- Verbal report of Gen Balck 1943