Author Topic: Navy drones  (Read 866 times)

Offline Spencer100

• Rate Post

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
Re: Navy drones
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 20:40:18 »
Looks like it, with contractors fixing and flying them off the ships.
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 22:01:03 »
Looks like a "Modest Proposal" from the old CASR website.
Anyway, it's something and that's better than nothing!

Edit: the "special operations payload" sounds all spooky and stuff like that. :)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 22:06:02 by Cloud Cover »
Living the lean life.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 12:15:02 »

Offline Underway

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 19:10:31 »
It's quite exciting.  AESA radars on a RPA are pretty good.  And by having them contracted it allows for constant improvement in the RPA, like what happened with the ScanEagle program.  They just updated EO/IR camera's as they went because the capability was there.  Instead of the military running a whole new RFP etc... to get new EO/IR.  Also means the aircraft will be showing up Q3 or Q4 of this year and will be able to go right on ship as there will be no need to train the ships crew on operations.

My only concern is that on deploying ships having contractors onboard is irritating...  not as irritating as NTOG mind you but still...  ;)

Offline NavyHopeful

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 01:55:40 »
I actually got qualified this fall as an Operator/Technician for the Qinetiq SNYPER-UAS this past fall.  The last I had heard was that the original intention for the SNYPER was to be a target for AAW, similar to how the Hammerhead is used for ASuW.  They were looking at adding a camera to the UAS so that they could expand the use of the SNYPER for things like gathering information on a VOI prior to a boarding, in the event that there is no helo onboard.

I think it's a great secondary duty for a sailor, and it also helps enhance the mission by using innovative ways to do the job that will, in turn, save the government a bunch of money by NOT having to fly a helo.

Just my  :2c:

Rev

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 09:26:03 »
I'm sorry, but ...
... I have to say what I know many are thinking ...
... the thread title, 'Navy drones,' made be think, right off the bat, that this was a thread about all the RCN HQ staff officers in Ottawa.
+300
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 11:58:41 »
The strategic thinkers, forward looking equipment gurus for the RCN work for the Directorate of Naval Requirements.  Which abbreviates to DNR, a medical term used for those beyond help - Do Not Resuscitate.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 12:01:56 »
The strategic thinkers, forward looking equipment gurus for the RCN work for the Directorate of Naval Requirements.  Which abbreviates to DNR, a medical term used for those beyond help - Do Not Resuscitate.
DAR and DLR are pillars of transformation and forward thinking?

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 12:03:39 »
Nope.

But their acronyms are nowhere near as funny.

(Hey, I am the one who suggested that Maternity CADPAT was designed by and for overweight male staff officers in DLR... I am an equal opportunity hater).
+300
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 14:45:18 »
But their acronyms are nowhere near as funny.
/quote]

You just need to hear "DAR" spoken in a Brit or Aussie accent then. 

But back to the RCN RPAS thing, kudos to them for getting at least one system (the Puma) in operation in a short timeframe. 
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."