Author Topic: Star Trek: Picard SDCC Trailer  (Read 491 times)

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
Star Trek: Picard SDCC Trailer
« on: July 20, 2019, 17:16:24 »
From the San Diego Comic-Con. 

There is a lot of ST:  Discovery in here.  That might be polarizing to some fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=129&v=KbXy0f0aCN0
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Haggis

• "There ain't no hat badge on a helmet!"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • "Oh, what a glorious sight, Warm-reekin, rich!"
Re: Star Trek: Picard SDCC Trailer
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 17:22:44 »
That might be polarizing to some fans.

Polarizing enough that the video is not available.
Train like your life depends on it.  Some day, it may.

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 17:53:35 »
The trailer is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ9lvNHQzLQ

Personally I'm a great fan of ST: Discovery and like the plot(s), acting and special effects. IMHO it's a better series than any of it's predecessors.

I'll withhold my thoughts about ST: Picard until I've seen a few episodes but one thing I can tell from the trailer is that Patrick Stewart's credibility as an effective star ship commander appears to be a little challenged. Even with the ST Federation's supply of an unlimited ship building budget someone must have wondered why they were entrusting a ship to this 79 year-old man.  ;D

:cheers:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Offline CBH99

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 19:06:03 »
I found ST - Discovery missed the theme of what Star Trek was always supposed to be about.  I loved TNG, Voyager, DS9 universe and how deep that creation became over the decades.   It’ll be interesting to see where this Picard show goes 🤷🏼‍♂️
Fortune Favours the Bold...and the Smart.

Wouldn't it be nice to have some Boondock Saints kicking around?

Online ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 19:25:31 »
[geek alert]

I always felt that the strength of ST was that each episode was effectively a stand alone affair. There were always related episodes, but you didn't need to watch every week, or even necessarily watch the episodes in order. This worked well for TOS, TNG, DS9 and Voyager. As evidenced by the middle two seasons of ST:E, the story arc approach was the kiss of death. Discovery seems to be holding to the story arc approach, so it remains to be seen how long lived it will be. I hope that ST:Picard returns to the previously successful approach.

[/geek alert]
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 19:42:10 »
I found ST - Discovery missed the theme of what Star Trek was always supposed to be about.  I loved TNG, Voyager, DS9 universe and how deep that creation became over the decades.   It’ll be interesting to see where this Picard show goes 🤷🏼‍♂️

But you have to remember that this is a prequel to the original series taking place ten years before Kirk et al take the route to "explore strange new worlds" (and that whole touchy-feely Federation) and some ninety years after the Star Trek: Enterprise prequel series with Scott Bakula (remember that one?)It was a different galaxy pre-Kirk.  ;D

[geek alert]

I always felt that the strength of ST was that each episode was effectively a stand alone affair. There were always related episodes, but you didn't need to watch every week, or even necessarily watch the episodes in order. This worked well for TOS, TNG, DS9 and Voyager. As evidenced by the middle two seasons of ST:E, the story arc approach was the kiss of death. Discovery seems to be holding to the story arc approach, so it remains to be seen how long lived it will be. I hope that ST:Picard returns to the previously successful approach.

[/geek alert]

I like stand alones too but I do like longer story arcs which is why I was a big fan of Babylon 5. Judging by the voice over to the Picard series and the whole depression/destruction of Vulcan thing, I have the feeling that you'll be disappointed and that this will be an arc type of story line series.

Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 19:58:46 »
But you have to remember that this is a prequel to the original series taking place ten years before Kirk et al take the route to "explore strange new worlds" (and that whole touchy-feely Federation) and some ninety years after the Star Trek: Enterprise prequel series with Scott Bakula (remember that one?)It was a different galaxy pre-Kirk.  ;D

I like stand alones too but I do like longer story arcs which is why I was a big fan of Babylon 5. Judging by the voice over to the Picard series and the whole depression/destruction of Vulcan thing, I have the feeling that you'll be disappointed and that this will be an arc type of story line series.

I have to agree - I really like DISCO because of the darker (I would say "realistic") aspects and the arc-style of storytelling.  I also really liked B5 for that as well.  They seemed to ham-fist it with Section 31 in DISCO; it was cool in DS9 but they are very visible in DISCO for a shadowy organization. 

Then again, of all the DS9 (arguably all of Star Trek) episodes, I thought "In the Pale Moonlight" is one of the best specifically because it delves into the darker side of the Federation. 
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."