Author Topic: Fmr MCpl Patrik Mathews - facing U.S. federal charges/alleged white supremacist  (Read 17974 times)

Online Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Former MCpl Patrik Mathews: accused of being a White Supremacist.
« Reply #150 on: January 18, 2020, 12:45:40 »
No doubt some other groups affiliated and not affiliated will be learning from this particular case.
Optio

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #151 on: January 18, 2020, 14:43:32 »
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/fbi-arrests-reveal-shocking-details-in-case-against-former-canadian-reservist-patrik-mathews/ar-BBZ58qE

Explosives expert Patrik Mathews described as incompetent, stupid and lazy. Former Nazi Base buddies thought about killing him. Guess they should have read his PERs before inviting him on down to star in a race war.

That's got to hurt, I guess he will be happy to testify against them.

Online CloudCover

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #152 on: January 19, 2020, 22:15:57 »
Here are some pictures of him showing off his supplies and skills:
Happy New Year!!

Online Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #153 on: January 20, 2020, 02:00:57 »

like Sean Bean’s character in Ronin...
+300
Optio

Offline 211RadOp

• Rate Post
  • Now is the tyme....damn missed again....Now is the
« Reply #154 on: January 22, 2020, 10:00:15 »
Ex-reservist wished he had booby-trapped his home to blow up RCMP officers: U.S. court document

'I could really wish they f---ing all started searching my place, accidentally trip a pin, and boom,' the documents quote Patrik Mathews as saying

Tom Blackwell Tom Blackwell
More from Tom Blackwell 

Published on: January 21, 2020 | Last Updated: January 21, 2020 10:41 PM EST

A Canadian ex-soldier and alleged white supremacist told cohorts in the U.S. that he wished he had booby-trapped his Manitoba home before RCMP searched it last year so the officers “got f—ing exploded,” say dramatic new court documents filed by American prosecutors.

Patrik Mathews and fellow alleged members of the hate group The Base also talk graphically about shooting civilians and police at an event in Richmond, Va., this week, the Canadian suggesting they could “be literally hunting people,” says the bail motion.

Unspecified intelligence about possible violence at a Richmond gun rally Monday prompted the state’s governor to declare a state of emergency around the demonstration.

Mathews, 27, and two co-defendants were arrested last week just days before the event started, with another three members of The Base picked up a day later in Georgia. Despite the presence of thousands of protesters, many toting firearms, the rally unfolded peacefully

The new court document submitted by a U.S. Attorney’s office in Maryland also details one of several videos allegedly made by Mathews. Wearing a gas mask, the former Manitoba-based reservist promotes derailing trains, murdering people and poisoning water supplies as part of a “revolution” to save the white race.

Mathews and alleged accomplices Brian Mark Lemley, 33, and William Bilbrough, 19, appear in court Wednesday for a bail hearing. Prosecutors indicate in the motion they want the trio be kept behind bars until their trial.

“The defendants in this domestic terrorism investigation must be detained,” said the memorandum. “No condition or combination of conditions will reasonably assure the appearance of any defendant or the safety of any other person.”

Mathews was exposed as an alleged member of The Base – a new but seemingly burgeoning group that espouses trying to trigger a race war – last August after a Winnipeg Free Press reporter infiltrated the organization.

He had been a combat engineer with a Winnipeg-based reserve unit but was released by the Armed Forces after the allegations surfaced.

RCMP later searched his home in Beausejour, Man., and briefly detained him. Soon after, he disappeared. His whereabouts were a mystery until his arrest last week.

The freshly filed motion provides more detail about the extensive U.S. police investigation, which included a “sneak-and-peak” warrant that allowed officers to enter the apartment where Mathews and Lemley stayed until their arrest.

They also installed a hidden camera and microphone in the apartment, which allegedly captured Mathews’ discussion of the RCMP raid of his home last Aug. 19.

“I could really wish they f—ing all started searching my place, accidentally trip a pin, and boom and the whole house goes boom,” the document quotes him as saying. “Boy, wouldn’t that be terrible, a bunch of f—ing RCMP search experts got f—ing exploded.”

More at link

https://www.thewhig.com/news/ex-soldier-wished-he-had-booby-trapped-manitoba-home-and-blown-up-rcmp-officers-u-s-court-document/wcm/eddb2424-18ae-4934-b3ac-f92d84dede48
“Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes." Jim Carrey
"Do unto others, then run." Benny Hill
"There's no better feeling in the world than a warm pizza box on your lap." Kevin James

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #155 on: January 22, 2020, 11:11:42 »
I hope that guys parents aren't recieving any harassment or abuse over his stupidity.

Really gotta wonder how someone becomes such a shitty human being.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #156 on: January 22, 2020, 11:31:48 »

By spending all their free time on internet sites that only support their warped world view, and rejecting even countenancing any other views.
+600

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #157 on: January 22, 2020, 13:57:14 »
I hope that guys parents aren't recieving any harassment or abuse over his stupidity.

By spending all their free time on internet sites that only support their warped world view, and rejecting even countenancing any other views.

Toxic/negative internet exposure certainly contributes, but home-grown extremists existed long before Google. I'm of the mind that unless Bipolar Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder or another identifiable mental health issue is present, home life is a significant cause.

Individuals who grow up in a safe, nurturing, and stable environment with boundaries, healthy displays of respect, and are taught right from wrong, coupled with balanced levels of discipline (or at least taught there's consequences to their actions) don't randomly and/or suddenly decide they're going to go on a shooting spree, wish severe harm upon others, or blow something up. And in the extremely rare instances where they do, 9 times out of 10, the individual was showing warning signs of underlying behavioural issues long before they acted out. The parents either blew them off, were afraid to intervene and/or couldn't discern the line between giving their kid(s) a certain amount of privacy vs perhaps seeing what they're doing when gone for hours at a time; not knowing with whom, or constantly locked in their room.

I'm no picture-perfect parent, but kids don't turn into disrespectful, violent a-holes on their own. And if they're susceptible to negative influences for whatever reasons, things can usually be traced back to where the deficiency began...     
+300 « Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 14:01:09 by BeyondTheNow »
If you suffered in life and don't mind other people suffering as you did because you,"turned out fine"; you did not, in fact, turn out fine.~D.S.

Online Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #158 on: January 22, 2020, 15:30:41 »

A number of reasons - lack of guidance from adults as a child, brain function, perhaps a mental disorder?

Added - researchers think Traumatic Brain Injury suffered as a child MAY have an effect on one's behaviour as one ages. Also, researchers think that a damaged amygdala my contribute to the behaviour of serial killers.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 15:59:13 by Hamish Seggie »
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #159 on: January 22, 2020, 18:48:28 »
A number of reasons - lack of guidance from adults as a child, brain function, perhaps a mental disorder?

Added - researchers think Traumatic Brain Injury suffered as a child MAY have an effect on one's behaviour as one ages. Also, researchers think that a damaged amygdala my contribute to the behaviour of serial killers.

Upbringing. Like minded people gravitate to each other.

Online Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #160 on: January 22, 2020, 19:59:25 »
Upbringing. Like minded people gravitate to each other.

That's only one part of the equation.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Online milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #161 on: January 23, 2020, 12:25:46 »
No bail for YOU!
A former Canadian Armed Forces reservist plotted with other members of a white supremacist group to carry out “essentially a paramilitary strike” at a Virginia gun rights rally, a federal prosecutor said Wednesday.

U.S. Magistrate Judge Timothy Sullivan agreed to keep Patrik Mathews, 27, detained in federal custody pending a Jan. 30 preliminary hearing.

Mathews leaned back in his chair and quietly laughed when the magistrate read aloud a transcript of a video in which the Canadian national advocated killing people, poisoning water supplies and derailing trains.

“This is a very dangerous person,” the magistrate said during Mathews' detention hearing in Maryland. “He espouses very dangerous beliefs.”

Later Wednesday, Sullivan refused to set bail for another defendant arrested in the FBI's investigation of The Base. A prosecutor described William Garfield Bilbrough IV — a 19-year-old pizza delivery driver who lives with his grandmother in Denton, Maryland — as a leader of the group who was seen as a “prophet” by Mathews and the third man arrested in the case.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Thomas Windom showed the judge a photograph recovered from Bilbrough's phone that shows him holding up the severed head of a goat he had killed in a “ritual sacrifice” at a training camp in Georgia for members of The Base. Bilbrough initially tried to kill the goat with a knife but failed, so he borrowed a gun to shoot it, Windom said.

Mathews, Bilbrough and Brian Mark Lemley Jr., 33, of Elkton, Maryland, were arrested Thursday on federal felony charges in Maryland and Delaware, just days before the pro-gun rally in Virginia’s capital. Federal prosecutors said in a court filing Tuesday that a hidden camera captured the men discussing “the planning of violence” at the rally and expressed hope that bloodshed could start a civil war. Monday's event attracted tens of thousands of people and ended peacefully.

“This is a domestic terrorist investigation,” Windom said Wednesday ...
More details here (U.S. media) or in attached bail document referred to in other stories.
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #162 on: January 23, 2020, 13:21:25 »
A prosecutor described William Garfield Bilbrough IV — a 19-year-old pizza delivery driver who lives with his grandmother in Denton, Maryland — as a leader of the group who was seen as a “prophet” by Mathews and the third man arrested in the case.
Supremacist all right.          :rofl:

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #163 on: January 23, 2020, 13:35:25 »
Supremacist all right.          :rofl:
Still, best outta 3's still best - of sorts, anyway ...

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline 211RadOp

• Rate Post
  • Now is the tyme....damn missed again....Now is the
The family's reaction to all this.  Mom was "flabbergasted when she first heard reports that her son was deeply entwined with The Base" and Grandma was" “just baffled” that Mathews had become a high-profile face of North America’s growing white-supremacy movement."

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/alleged-manitoba-white-supremacist-had-an-african-canadian-girlfriend-his-mother-says/ar-BBZgoEr?ocid=ientp
“Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes." Jim Carrey
"Do unto others, then run." Benny Hill
"There's no better feeling in the world than a warm pizza box on your lap." Kevin James

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
The latest ...
Ex-Canadian reservist Patrik Mathews faces up to a maximum of 60 years in U.S. prison if convicted, after he and two other members of The Base, a violent neo-Nazi paramilitary group, were indicted by federal grand juries in Maryland and Delaware this week.

Mathews, 27, who is originally from Beausejour, Man., was arrested in Delaware earlier this month after he fled the country when he was outed as an alleged recruiter for The Base in August.

Alleged Base members Brian Mark Lemley Jr., 33, and William Garfield Bilbrough IV, 19, were arrested this month in Maryland.

Mathews and Lemley Jr. each face several firearms charges, including transporting a firearm and ammunition with intent to commit a felony, and one count of destroying their cellular telephones with intent to obstruct justice.

If convicted, Mathews faces a maximum sentence of 20 years in U.S. federal prison for transporting a firearm and ammunition in interstate commerce with intent to commit a felony offence, and being an alien in possession of a firearm and ammunition.

He faces another 40 years in prison for illegal possession of a firearm, illegal possession of an unregistered firearm, and obstruction of justice.

Lemley Jr. and Bilbrough are charged with conspiring to transport an alien and transporting an alien. Lemley is also charged with transporting a machine gun in interstate commerce.

The 12-count Maryland indictment was returned Monday and unsealed on Tuesday. The six-count Delaware indictment was returned Tuesday ...

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
A bit of Canadian follow-up ...
Canada's military is still defining the term "hateful conduct" as it grapples with how to better detect and discipline white supremacists in its ranks.

In a recent wide-ranging interview with CBC News, military leaders said they have identified areas of improvement and are working toward change. They hope to announce details in the coming months.

"I do understand that sometimes from the outside we might look opaque, but that is due to privacy reasons that we can't divulge specific information," Brig.-Gen. Sylvain Menard, the chief of staff operations for military personnel, said at DND headquarters in Ottawa.

"I think the fact that we're here today trying to demystify and explain what we're doing is our attempt to say, 'No, we are open and transparent.'"

The military has been grappling with a prominent example of extremism in its ranks, following the high-profile arrest of Patrik Mathews, a former Manitoba-based reservist, as part of an FBI undercover operation into a violent white supremacist group called The Base.

(...)

The Canadian military began investigating Mathews in the  spring of 2019, after someone reported comments "incompatible with the Canadian Forces." At the time, he was a former combat engineer with the 38 Canadian Brigade Group in Winnipeg, with training in explosives.

The military fast-tracked his request to be released from the reserves. That officially came through on Aug. 30, 2019.

"It takes a while to conduct these investigations. We have to follow due process, every Canadian has the same right, where innocent until proven guilty, and at the time of release, we just didn't have enough to do anything about Mr. Mathews," Menard said.

"I think it's a success story that we were investigating the member, even though we did not have a chance to fully close the loop." ...

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter