Author Topic: General Election: Oct 21, 2019  (Read 87775 times)

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: General Election: Oct 21, 2019
« Reply #325 on: October 05, 2019, 16:58:13 »
The NDP has a similar problem.

I suppose after the last election the strong leadership contenders looked at the LPC, figured it was in for at least two terms, and decided not to audition for the role of caretaker - let someone else take that bullet.  Then it turns out Trudeau and the LPC are vulnerable after one term.  Oops.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

"It is a damned heavy blow; but whining don't help."

Despair is a sin.

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #326 on: October 05, 2019, 17:05:29 »
The NDP has a similar problem.

I suppose after the last election the strong leadership contenders looked at the LPC, figured it was in for at least two terms, and decided not to audition for the role of caretaker - let someone else take that bullet.  Then it turns out Trudeau and the LPC are vulnerable after one term.  Oops.

For sure. Though I find Singh to actually be one of the better performers of this campaign.  But I guess expectations were set low.  The problem is he waited too long to show that side of himself. 
Optio

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #327 on: October 05, 2019, 17:34:24 »
To add to my post about the LPC leading in the polls, Don Martin expresses exactly what I’m feeling about Scheer.

https://election.ctvnews.ca/don-martin-suddenly-scheer-is-on-trial-by-fire-1.4624576

At this point I just hope they can be held to a minority. Let the CPC take the winter to do some serious introspection and for Scheer to exit the leadership in an orderly manner, and then let Raitt, Ambrose, or MacKay take over, roll up their sleeves and get working on cleanup. Hopefully some time in 2022 or so an opportune time arrives to trigger an election.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

stellarpanther

« Reply #328 on: October 05, 2019, 20:23:58 »
At this point I just hope they can be held to a minority. Let the CPC take the winter to do some serious introspection and for Scheer to exit the leadership in an orderly manner, and then let Raitt, Ambrose, or MacKay take over, roll up their sleeves and get working on cleanup. Hopefully some time in 2022 or so an opportune time arrives to trigger an election.
I think even if it is a minority Liberal government although I hope they can win a majority, the NDP will prop them up if necessary.  The NDP will not do anything that could give the Cons a chance so it will go the full four years in my opinion.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #329 on: October 05, 2019, 21:59:06 »
At this point I just hope they can be held to a minority.

I think you should hope big and see them get the treatment they got in the Ontario election :)

I know the rallying cry is that Scheer is booooooooring. Maybe that's what we need. He's got 15 years of experience as politician and what's his biggest sins? Fudging a resume about insurance at 24 and not renouncing his US citizenship until it was convenient for him now.

Trudeau's past and present speak for themselves. If he gets the Liberals re-elected, even as a minority, it's showing Trudeau that he can behave however he wants and not be accountable.

There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #330 on: October 05, 2019, 22:06:35 »
Scheer is severely underwhelming.  My compelling reason to vote CPC right now is that the CPC's idea of fiscal policy is probably the best fit with the (apparently fiscally conservative) departmental regulars, which makes the CPC the best hedge against the imminent recession people keep talking about.  It won't be Harper and Flaherty, but I expect it would be better than the PM's puppeteers and Morneau, and much better than watching a LPC minority negotiate "stimulus spending" with NDP backers.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

"It is a damned heavy blow; but whining don't help."

Despair is a sin.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Keep 'em rolling.
    • The job.
« Reply #331 on: October 05, 2019, 22:16:43 »
If he gets the Liberals re-elected, even as a minority, it's showing Trudeau that he can behave however he wants and not be accountable.

Who could support a leader like that?
In any war, there are two tremendous tasks. That of the combat troops is to fight the enemy. That of the supply troops is to furnish all the material to insure victory. The faster and farther the combat troops advance against the foe, the greater becomes the battle of supply. EISENHOWER

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #332 on: October 05, 2019, 22:35:47 »

I know the rallying cry is that Scheer is booooooooring.

To be honest boring is fine.  But he’s ineffective.  He waffles under pressure.  And quite likely will not be able to beat a PM who has had more embarrassing scandals than any in recent history. 

I’ll take a LPC minority that will be short lived (I honestly don’t think Trudeau can hold any type of coalition for very long) to allow someone better to replace Scheer.

Even on a fiscal front, there is very little difference between the CPC and LPC right now as far as their platforms are concerned. 

My vote will likely go to who I prefer in my riding.  And right now the incumbent CPC is not the most likeable. Another staffer who became a career politician.
Optio

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #333 on: October 05, 2019, 23:07:42 »
To be honest boring is fine.  But he’s ineffective.  He waffles under pressure.  And quite likely will not be able to beat a PM who has had more embarrassing scandals than any in recent history. 

I’ll take a LPC minority that will be short lived (I honestly don’t think Trudeau can hold any type of coalition for very long) to allow someone better to replace Scheer.

Even on a fiscal front, there is very little difference between the CPC and LPC right now as far as their platforms are concerned. 

My vote will likely go to who I prefer in my riding.  And right now the incumbent CPC is not the most likeable. Another staffer who became a career politician.

That's my problem too. I'm going to have to choke back a lot of bile. The alternative is unthinkable.

:brickwall:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #334 on: October 06, 2019, 00:56:28 »
There appears to be something of a fire developing on Twitter vis-a-vis the LPC and an injunction against the Globe and Mail.  :pop:
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline CloudCover

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #335 on: October 06, 2019, 02:10:22 »
between Kinsella, Marieka Walsh at the Globe, another unidentified source who was a litigant and party to a confidential settlement agreement, and some documents the Post Millennial has in its possession: there is a Non disclosure agreement that has certain terms including obtaining an injunction in the case of imminent breach by a party thereto.

It seems a certain person sent gliders a garment too far.
... Move!! ...

Offline Bread Guy

• Bread Baker & Info Curator (still learning @ both)
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #336 on: October 06, 2019, 07:30:09 »
Just a reminder:  Twitter aflutter =/= truth or the whole story - remember it was also aflutter about this, too  ;)
between Kinsella, Marieka Walsh at the Globe, another unidentified source who was a litigant and party to a confidential settlement agreement, and some documents the Post Millennial has in its possession: there is a Non disclosure agreement that has certain terms including obtaining an injunction in the case of imminent breach by a party thereto.
I haven't seen The Post Millenial say they have docs (their site or Twitter feed) - where's that popping up?

Walsh says JT said later that he didn't sign a non-disclosure agreement*, and the former headmaster sent CTV News the attached statement as well.

:pop:

* - A bit of an experiment:  try reading that sentence six different ways, each time emphasizing a different word.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 11:04:51 by milnews.ca »
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #337 on: October 06, 2019, 08:30:49 »

kin sella may have egg on his face...
Optio

Online Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #338 on: October 06, 2019, 09:16:43 »
kin sella may have egg on his face...

Uh-oh, not yellowface too!

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #339 on: October 06, 2019, 09:56:25 »
To be honest boring is fine.  But he’s ineffective.  He waffles under pressure.

I haven't seen any videos or sound bites of that but maybe you're right. Do any examples come to mind?

I'm thinking of Trudeau when someone asked him about plastic water bottles. Not much pressure there.

https://youtu.be/_sBxAvxr9fo

He's a drama teacher that excells at memorizing lines.

And quite likely will not be able to beat a PM who has had more embarrassing scandals than any in recent history.

Yup. I had no idea who he was before the Conservative elected him. I wish it was Ambrose in that seat instead.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 10:52:46 by Jarnhamar »

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
« Reply #340 on: October 06, 2019, 10:04:47 »

* - A bit of an experiment:  try reading that sentence six different ways, each time emphasizing a different word.

An amazingly effective technique.  But it still doesn't carry the nuances found in facial expressions and body language.  And a further reason why I dislike texting, emails and even this site (although it is an excellent site).  Nothing beats face to face communication.

Another, similar technique is to look at a photograph of a face and look at just the upper half, just the lower half, just the left side and just the right side.  Cover the bit you're not looking at.   See if the expressions in all cases match.  Routinely they don't.
"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

"If change isn’t allowed to be a process, it becomes an event." - Penny Mordaunt 10/10/2019

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards” ~ Soren Kierkegaard

ignoramus et ignorabimus

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #341 on: October 06, 2019, 10:34:54 »
There appears to be something of a fire developing on Twitter vis-a-vis the LPC and an injunction against the Globe and Mail.  :pop:

I’ve yet to see anything actually corroborating this. Plenty of people have said their G&M arrived on time (hard to completely re-print a newspaper for national distribution on short notice), so that quashes the ‘paper didn’t show up’ rumour.

An injunction would not be something that could stay secret. And it would do far more harm than good we’re there a story that would inevitably be getting out. The courts do not look kindly on giving injunctions in the sort of circumstances rumoured on this.

If the PM/LPC had muzzled a press outlet on a damaging story, every facet of the CPC’s campaign would be absolutely in an uproar over it. I don’t see them even asking pointed questions about it.

Given that we’re in an election period, and how desperately so many people want anything to be true that could hurt ‘the other side’, I’m not gonna credit this with a shred of legitimacy until there is credible corroboration. So far there isn’t even non-credible corroboration.

Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #342 on: October 06, 2019, 10:51:23 »

I haven't seen any videos or sound bites of that but maybe your right. Do any examples come to mind?

I'm thinking of Trudeau when someone asked him about plastic water bottles. Not much pressure there.

https://youtu.be/_sBxAvxr9fo

He's a drama teacher that excells at memorizing lines. 

Yup. I had no idea who he was before the Conservative elected him. I wish it was Ambrose in that seat instead.

Oh Trudeau waffles too.

Agreed about Ambrose.

Scheer’s performance in both debates was not good.  When questioned about his US citizenship at that press conference he looked like he’d been caught with his hand in the coolie jar.  His best response was that’s no one ever asked...

If he had stated what he said about his stance on abortion this week a few months ago the whole issue would be done and over with.  But he stuck to a line no one was buying. 

I hope he does better this week but I suspect he will struggle again.
Optio

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #343 on: October 06, 2019, 11:00:25 »

https://mobile.twitter.com/kinsellawarren/status/1180857827839156224

Looks like he’s backtracking but also insinuating that someone’s got to them

:Tin-Foil-Hat:

Optio

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #344 on: October 06, 2019, 11:09:36 »

*shrug* It’s Kinsella. The noise:signal ratio is typically pretty high.

He did kinda put himself out farther than usual on this one...

Offline Bread Guy

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #345 on: October 06, 2019, 11:12:26 »
*shrug* It’s Kinsella. The noise:signal ratio is typically pretty high.
True, but it's funny how so many people who would have mocked him as a Liberal hack/operator/bag man a week ago are happy to offer this up as evidence of sorts when it's about someone they hate even more.

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #346 on: October 06, 2019, 11:27:26 »

Maybe butts had lunch with them.

Offline Bread Guy

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #347 on: October 06, 2019, 11:33:16 »
An amazingly effective technique.  But it still doesn't carry the nuances found in facial expressions and body language.  And a further reason why I dislike texting, emails and even this site (although it is an excellent site).  Nothing beats face to face communication.
You're right about the treasure trove of data to be culled by watching.  To be completely fair, the quote is from the reporter's Twitter post, not verbatim from JT.  Still, it can be useful to go over transcripts to avoid getting distracted by the visual, too.  Lots of different ways of learning out there, indeed.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #348 on: October 06, 2019, 11:39:54 »
Jack Knox for Prime Minister :)

Jack Knox: Be afraid. Be very afraid. It’s the Politicians

Frankly, it has been hard to keep up. Even now, promises rain down like candy from a parade float. A tax on luxury cars. A federal Family Day holiday. Caps on ATM charges. Planting two billion trees. Planting 10 billion trees.

Except nothing’s really sticking, is it? No one is quite sure what this election is all about, so now it has shifted to the trivial and the distracting, the sideshows outdrawing the main stage as the leaders go after each other’s supposed flaws.

Not that we in the news media aren’t complicit. It usually goes something like this:

Trudeau at a campaign stop: “Today I would like to unveil sweeping agricultural reforms that promise prosperity to canola farmers here in Broken Dreams, Saskatchewan.”

Media: “Boring. What about Andrew Scheer’s vestigial tail?”

Trudeau: “Um, vestigial tails have no place in a free and open society.”

Newspaper headline: “Trudeau rips Scheer over hidden tail.”

Scheer: “I don’t have a vestigial tail, but you might want to check Bernier.”

NDP press release: “Typical Scheer: Deny, deny, deflect -- just like that sketchy Elizabeth May.”

May: “I thought Singh was better than this. You should be disappointed in him.”

Times Colonist editorial -- “Tailgate: Let’s get to the bottom of this” (the TC has some very clever headline writers).

https://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/jack-knox-be-afraid-be-very-afraid-it-s-the-politicians-1.23967945
"Now listen to me you benighted muckers. We're going to teach you soldiering. The world's noblest profession. When we're done with you, you'll be able to slaughter your enemies like civilized men." Daniel Dravot

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #349 on: October 06, 2019, 11:41:57 »
I did like one of the follow-on comments to the Kinsella tweet:
Being this dumb should disqualify you from voting.  What is even the point of facts and evidence when dumb people just believe anything?
     :rofl: