Author Topic: Meet the GM Defense ISV Army Truck  (Read 3546 times)

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
Meet the GM Defense ISV Army Truck
« on: October 17, 2019, 11:32:54 »
Want the Hardest-Core Chevy Colorado ZR2? Meet the GM Defense ISV Army Truck

Take one Colorado midsize pickup, remove bodywork, add bad-assery

Think the new 2021 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2, the midsize pickup truck's hardcore off-road trim, is impressive? Its primary changes from before include less styling—seriously, Chevy just straight-up made most of the front end part of the grille or intake. Underneath, it still has the same lifted suspension, beefy tires, and 4x4 equipment to chase goats up rocky paths. But what if that '21 ZR2 isn't crazy enough? Perhaps you'd like it with even less bodywork and a stronger dose of visual intimidation? Time to join the Army!
That's because General Motors' Defense division (new as of 2017) has a new prototype for an Infantry Squad Vehicle (ISV) that is based on today's Colorado ZR2 chassis—and it's bound for military service, not your local Chevy dealer. So far, GM Defense has been awarded a $1 million contract by the U.S. military to develop the ISV and test two prototypes ahead of a planned order of 650 finalized models by 2020.

If a million bucks doesn't seem like not a lot of money for a defense contract, let alone a vehicle development cycle, you're right. But, then, there isn't much to the ISV beyond the Colorado ZR2's frame and suspension and that wacky metal exoskeleton. The vehicle lacks doors, a pickup bed, and even a proper roof. Up front, the ISV one-ups the 2021 Colorado ZR2's mostly grille-filled face with . . . basically no face at all. There is a hole where the radiator is, plus a substantial bumper and skid plate arrangement. Slits in what we assume is the hood house headlights.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/gm-infantry-squad-vehicle-chevy-colorado-zr2-military-truck/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21PA-3LgFIQ
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 11:38:59 by daftandbarmy »
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline OceanBonfire

• Rate Post
Re: Meet the GM Defense ISV Army Truck
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 14:00:05 »
Selected:

GM DEFENSE AWARDED A $214.3M CONTRACT TO PRODUCE THE U.S. ARMY’S INFANTRY SQUAD VEHICLE

The Army today announced it has selected GM Defense, LLC, Detroit, Mich., to produce the Infantry Squad Vehicle, or ISV, to motorize Infantry Brigade Combat Teams. Delivery of this modernized capability is slated to begin with the 1st Brigade, 82nd Airborne Division, as the designated First Unit Equipped next winter. The contract is valued at $214,297,869 and the Army intends to purchase 649 vehicles.

It is based on the Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 architecture, which will derive 90 percent of its parts from commercial-off-the-shelf components.

The ISV’s basic operational capabilities include:

Nine-man squad carrying capability

- Payload of 3,200 lbs.
- External sling load by a UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter
- Internal load/external lift by CH-47 Chinook helicopter
- Low-velocity air drop by fixed-wing C-130 or C-17 transport aircraft
- Exceptional mobility over all terrains

https://www.army.mil/article/236844/infantry_squad_vehicle_to_motorize_ibcts

https://www.gmdefensellc.com/site/us/en/gm-defense/home/news/2020/gm-defense-awared-contract-to-produce-us-armys-infantry-squad-vehicle.html

https://twitter.com/GMDefense/status/1276656918073925632
Recruiting Centre: Montreal
Regular/Reserve: Regular Force
Officer/NCM: Officer (DEO)
Occupation choice: Logistics Officer
Current application: March 28, 2017
CFAT: Previously completed in November 2011
Interview: July 11, 2017
Medical: August 2017
Competition list: October/November 2017
Position Offered: May 25, 2018
Swearing In: August 21, 2018
BMOQ: August 25, 2018
BMOQ Graduation: November 16, 2018
OFP: December 2019

Offline CloudCover

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 15:12:03 »
Whaaaaat??
... Move!! ...

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 16:00:20 »
beats walking

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 16:05:36 »
Whaaaaat??

Should have used the Ram 2500 chassis as a basis.

The Colorado is a girly wanna be truck  :stirpot:
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 18:26:19 »
Should have used the Ram 2500 chassis as a basis.

The Colorado is a girly wanna be truck  :stirpot:

Well, that nicely explains me and my white, blinged up, 2018 Colorado/ Canyon :)

I kind of like it. I have no idea how they plan to get a section of nine troops in there though? Maybe its a misprint of some kind.
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 18:40:17 »
Well, that nicely explains me and my white, blinged up, 2018 Colorado/ Canyon :)

I kind of like it. I have no idea how they plan to get a section of nine troops in there though? Maybe its a misprint of some kind.

If you can fit another between the driver and co driver you can do 9, otherwise from the photo I count 8.
"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 19:48:42 »
Not commenting on the quality of GM v RAM or Ford trucks but I like the general configuration although some hard mounts for MGs would be welcome.

I do wonder about the number at 649. Assuming 4 per platoon / 16 per company that would require roughly 50+ per battalion (not counting the HMMWVs currently in the weapons company). The US Army currently has 14 Active IBCTs and 20 NG IBCTs for a total of 102 light battalions. 649 would at best equip some 13 battalions (or most probably less than that). Makes you wonder if the NG IBCTs are getting these shiny new trucks?

:cheers:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Offline Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2020, 20:32:50 »

I'm looking at some pictures, and I see two front seats, three back seats and 4 seats in the box.  Will be tight seating for guys with their kit though....
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr

Offline Old Sweat

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2020, 20:57:48 »
Back when the earth was cooling, I still had hair, and the Bobcat APC project was still alive, our infantry battalions were motorized, aka 13 Inf Bns, Mot. The vehicle used was the venerable Dodge M37 3/4 ton truck on a scale of 4 per platoon. I think something along its lines would provide be a better option in terms of carrying capacity, along with better egress, etc, etc. Oh, and I used to FOO back then, and we did an awful lot of humping despite the motorized designation.

Offline Furniture

• Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2020, 21:58:26 »
Not commenting on the quality of GM v RAM or Ford trucks but I like the general configuration although some hard mounts for MGs would be welcome.

I do wonder about the number at 649. Assuming 4 per platoon / 16 per company that would require roughly 50+ per battalion (not counting the HMMWVs currently in the weapons company). The US Army currently has 14 Active IBCTs and 20 NG IBCTs for a total of 102 light battalions. 649 would at best equip some 13 battalions (or most probably less than that). Makes you wonder if the NG IBCTs are getting these shiny new trucks?

Based on what I have read it seems the idea is to take them out and let the troops lose on them for a while to see how they actually perform before committing to a larger order.

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2020, 22:02:19 »
I count 2 and 3 in the "cab" and 4 in the "box".  2 facing the rear and 2 facing outboard.

Watch out for things that go boom in the night.
"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

"If change isn’t allowed to be a process, it becomes an event." - Penny Mordaunt 10/10/2019

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards” ~ Soren Kierkegaard

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2020, 22:52:32 »

As you are aware the Colorado is a mini Silverado. I think - just from experience - its a bit small and maybe underpowered. I wonder what the engine is. Diesel or gas?
I did a bit of research and I am not sold on this idea. Mind you, its not my army so this is just another irrelevant opinion.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 22:59:16 by Hamish Seggie »

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2020, 22:58:58 »
As you are aware the Colorado is a mini Silverado. I think - just from experience - its a bit small and maybe underpowered. I wonder what the engine is. Diesel or gas?

I don't know anything about engines (because: Infantry Officer) but this little truck hauls a$$... front or back country

I've got the 3.6l V6 engine https://www.caranddriver.com/gmc/canyon

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2020, 23:04:40 »
I don't know anything about engines (because: Infantry Officer) but this little truck hauls a$$... front or back country

I've got the 3.6l V6 engine https://www.caranddriver.com/gmc/canyon

The big diesel from the Ram is 370 HP but over 800 foot pounds of torque. Much more cargo/weight capacity and storage. They are a big vehicle.

Part of the issue is the electronics and computers that the engines require to operate properly. Maintenance will be an issue.

I recall the old Dodge 3/4 ton - I actually learned to drive it on my Driver course in 1976 just before it was retired and replaced by the Chevy 3/4 ton - which actually performed pretty well.
The old Dodge was simple to maintain, but a beast to drive.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 23:08:25 by Hamish Seggie »

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2020, 09:45:18 »

It’ll be the GM DuraMax 2.8L straight-four. The engine is actually VM Motori’s A428 high-pressure common-rail diesel, built for GM under contract.  Fuel is easy...JP8/multi-fuel...no need to handle ME Gas separately.

I had this engine in a Jeep...it was a beast!  Each cylinder is almost as big as a 750cc motorcycle.  I could tow a 5,000lb trailer no problem.  Torque out the wazoo - more than 300ft-lbs.  In this platform, power and grunt shouldn’t be an issue....only space will be. ;)

Regards
G2G

Offline quadrapiper

• Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2020, 13:42:16 »
....only space will be. ;)

Regards
G2G
Buddy with his toes hanging over the edge being illustrative.

Offline CanadianTire

• Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2020, 15:05:03 »
Buddy with his toes hanging over the edge being illustrative.

There's always room for one more...just ask the ANP who stood on the rear bumper of the Ford Ranger so he could man the 20mm AA gun...
"Theirs not to reason why/Theirs but to do and die." - Tennyson

Offline ArmyRick

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • What the????
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2020, 17:48:22 »
9 troops? nah.... How many hay bales can I pull with this puppy?

Also, can it be mounted with a 7.62mm mini gun for mowing down coyotes and trees? asking for a friend
M'eh

Offline Retired AF Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2020, 08:51:37 »

"[p]owered by a 186-horsepower, 2.8L Duramax turbo-diesel engine, and six-speed automatic transmission."

Link.
"Leave one wolf alive, and the sheep are never safe."

Arya Stark

Offline Retired AF Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2020, 08:54:20 »

The total production ISV contract award value is $214.3 million to procure the initial Army Procurement Objective of 649. The approved Army Acquisition Objective is 2,065 vehicles.

Link
"Leave one wolf alive, and the sheep are never safe."

Arya Stark

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2020, 14:22:38 »

... The approved Army Acquisition Objective is 2,065 vehicles.

Link

That's much better but still leaves about one half (or more) of the US Army's light battalions unequipped. One wonders what the scale of issue will be as between Active and NG IBCTs and airborne v airmobile v straight leg IBCTs (not to mention the 75th Ranger Regt).

(Edit to add - to partly answer my own question it seems that the 1st IBCT of the 82 AB Div is scheduled to be the first to receive the new vehicles - https://soldiersystems.net/2020/06/30/gm-selected-to-provide-infantry-squad-vehicles-for-us-army/ - so airborne definitely)

« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 14:33:26 by FJAG »
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2020, 15:55:10 »
9 troops? nah....
Also, can it be mounted with a 7.62mm mini gun for mowing down coyotes and trees? asking for a friend

I like your way of thinking. Billy B did have an influence on you didn't he?

Offline ArmyRick

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • What the????
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2020, 08:28:36 »
Billy B did indeed change me, Jim.

Watch me with my cattle when we are doing a paddock move and one falls back "Come on you ****, quite your dogf*cking and keep up"
M'eh

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2020, 12:54:17 »
I also wondered about the "source" truck and why they didn't use a Silverado, F-150 or Ram, since they're larger and more capable, but the defining limit is the vehicle needs to weigh less than 5000lbs and be sling loadable or fit inside transport helicopters.

Something like this would fill the light utility vehicle slot like our G-wagon/MilCOT fleet as well when the time comes to replace them, although the rear seats in the loadbed would need to be removable or a trailer hitch added. The fact most of the parts can be picked up at any dealership will be a bonus.
Dagny, this is not a battle over material goods. It's a moral crisis, the greatest the world has ever faced and the last. Our age is the climax of centuries of evil. We must put an end to it, once and for all, or perish - we, the men of the mind. It was our own guilt. We produced the wealth of the world - but we let our enemies write its moral code.

Offline MJP

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2020, 13:07:39 »
Billy B did indeed change me, Jim.

Watch me with my cattle when we are doing a paddock move and one falls back "Come on you ****, quite your dogf*cking and keep up"

SLIGHT DERAIL

In who whould have thunk that, he know works at one of the Conflict and Complaint Management centers.
Hope is not a valid COA

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2020, 13:15:58 »
SLIGHT DERAIL

In who whould have thunk that, he know works at one of the Conflict and Complaint Management centers.

I told Billy B that’s a good place for him - he caused a lot of complaints from higher. 👍 We loved him lol

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2020, 13:17:38 »
I told Billy B that’s a good place for him - he caused a lot of complaints from higher. 👍 We loved him lol

If this is guy I am thinking of, he taught my Basic Para Course.  Jeepers.

Offline dangerboy

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2020, 13:20:36 »

That would most likely be him, he is quite memorable.
All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us... they can't get away this time.
- Lt Gen Lewis B. Puller, USMC

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2020, 16:03:55 »

Most likely.

There is quite a family dynamic. His dad took the US Army Ranger course at the age of 42, and passed.

I was quite surprised when Billy B asked me to be one of his section commanders on a BIQ we ran in 1994 that included Army Rick as a candidate.

Off topic...sorry.

Regarding the weight of under 5000 pounds, my Ram fully fuelled is well over 6000.
+150

Offline reverse_engineer

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2020, 16:09:25 »
The new Rams are probably the nicest trucks out there, IMO.

But if I was looking to bash around off road, I'd take a ZR2 with duramax. And the ISV is essentially that on steroids. Can't really be compared to your run of the mill Colorado.

Offline Weinie

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2020, 16:42:30 »
It’ll be the GM DuraMax 2.8L straight-four. The engine is actually VM Motori’s A428 high-pressure common-rail diesel, built for GM under contract.  Fuel is easy...JP8/multi-fuel...no need to handle ME Gas separately.

I had this engine in a Jeep...it was a beast!  Each cylinder is almost as big as a 750cc motorcycle.  I could tow a 5,000lb trailer no problem.  Torque out the wazoo - more than 300ft-lbs.  In this platform, power and grunt shouldn’t be an issue....only space will be. ;)

Regards
G2G

You could put 18 of me in one of these things.
“In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it.”
– Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2020, 16:45:33 »

You sir, win the Internet for the rest of the day! ;D

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2020, 17:11:34 »

I damn near inhaled a cup of coffee. Jerk.

;D

Offline dapaterson

Halfway to being an idiot-savant.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2020, 17:23:15 »
So, 5000lbs / 18 = 275 pounds?
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Weinie

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2020, 18:01:39 »
Giv er take a few stone
“In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it.”
– Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2020, 21:40:43 »
Strategypage:

Armor: The Off-Road Revolutions

https://strategypage.com/htmw/htarm/articles/20200715.aspx

July 15, 2020: In June 2020 the U.S. Army selected the GM (General Motors) candidate for the new, lightweight, ISV (Infantry Squad Vehicle). The two other competitors were familiar with special operations vehicles, the GD (General Dynamics) Flyer 72 and a variation of the old SOCOM (Special Operations Command) favorite, the Polaris DAGOR. SOCOM was already using Flyer 72 and DAGOR and the competition between these two vehicles for special operations orders worldwide led to the ISV competition. The army took advantage of a new fast-track acquisition program that allows new items to be selected (via competition from existing equipment) in less than 16 months versus the usual 36-month bureaucratic marathon that often went on much longer. Each of the three ISV competitors was given a million dollars to modify their vehicle to meet army requirements. The GM entry was seen as a long shot by outsiders who misunderstood what the GM candidate was.

The third underdog competitor from GM was one of their newest and most popular off-road vehicles, the Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 Bison. This vehicle was introduced in 2016 and is the culmination of two decades of vehicle modification by individual entrepreneurs and companies like GM. All this largely unnoticed work was recognized and merged by GM into their new 21st century off-road pickup trucks. Individuals and small firms modifying commercial vehicles for special uses is something that has been around for decades. Think of this as “vehicle hackers” and you have an accurate view of what is happening. The Chevrolet Bison was very much the right hack showing up at the right time. Vehicle designers in GM saw the army ISV contract, looked at the Bison and it didn’t take long (at least on the computer design software) to turn the Bison into the GM ISV. Removing the commercial shell and the Bison becamer the ISV, with a modified diesel engine and a few tweaks to the suspension and other mechanical components.

Rest of the article on link. The ISV is surprisingly affordable, especially when you consider the cost of the G-Wagon was almost the same in 1990 dollars. Certainly jumping aboard right now and getting a long production run and economies of scale by buying the ISV to replace the G Wagon and MilCOT would be a useful and sensible solution to both Regular and Reserve mobility.
Dagny, this is not a battle over material goods. It's a moral crisis, the greatest the world has ever faced and the last. Our age is the climax of centuries of evil. We must put an end to it, once and for all, or perish - we, the men of the mind. It was our own guilt. We produced the wealth of the world - but we let our enemies write its moral code.