Linked Events

• Swearing in ceremony in Montreal: September 29, 2010

Author Topic: Enrollment / Swearing In Ceremony [MERGED]  (Read 238125 times)

Offline Ghost(Banned)

• Banned
  • Rate Post
Re: Enrollment / Swearing In Ceremony [MERGED]
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2005, 11:40:25 »
I got a verbal warning last time we played this game

Offline combat_medic

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Mod of burninating
    • Seaforth Highlanders of Canada
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2005, 12:45:49 »
And you're bucking the right way to get another one. If you don't start acting with a little decorum, another warning will be placed upon you.

Oh, and the General rank you were displaying is gone. If you want to have a rank displayed, it should be one that you've actually earned.
"If you're in a fair fight, your tactics suck." - Paracowboy

Fideo

« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2005, 23:41:03 »
I don't think it's just a job.... I think it's a part time job.

AND thats why Im going reg force lol.

Also consider the sacrifice people are willing to make just to enrol and maybe have themselves rejected because of some medical condition that they might not have any control over or the people that arent just putting it all in the line for their country but their time with family as well and tell them its a part time job and which time youll be moving on to regs with that lovely attitude and then let me guess....it will be just a full time job for you. :cdn:

Offline CanadianTire

• Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2005, 02:42:03 »
At my swearing, I dressed reasonably nice: slacks and a short sleeve button-up shirt.  (I was told that shirt and tie were nicer than what was required).  I was sworn in with one other recruit in the recruiting office by the two Lieutenants in CADPAT.

However, a week and a half later (today), we had our change of command ceremony, which I did dress up for.  The swearing in was an honour; however, as a new recruit, to be encouraged and included (in however insignificant a role) in this ceremony was a far greater honour.
"Theirs not to reason why/Theirs but to do and die." - Tennyson

Offline Patrick H.

• Paint it all grey.
  • Rate Post
  • UBIQUE
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2005, 16:26:20 »
Dress to impress.  ;D

Cheers.
Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps.

"It isn't what you've lost, but what you have left." - My great Uncle Daniel J MacDonald, Veteran Affairs Minister 1972.

Offline Double Crypto

• Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2005, 18:07:52 »
Dress to impress.   ;D

Cheers.

And get a haircut too...
I is in university!

Offline Freddy G

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2005, 21:29:18 »
And get a haircut too...

They actually told us to not bother, as we'll be getting one the week after (well, 10 days) so it's just a waste of our money.
My posts are my opinion alone and do not reflect any other person or group's opinion... because you can't handle the truth, and deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me to say these things.

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2005, 22:34:24 »
They actually told us to not bother, as we'll be getting one the week after (well, 10 days) so it's just a waste of our money.

If you come into my recruiting centre to be sworn in and you look like your sister you will have wished that you would have wasted the money.  Get a haricut!
- Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
- If we are the only intelligent life in the universe, at least there's a finite number of idiots.
- Just when you realize life's a *****, it has puppies.

Offline Freddy G

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2005, 23:06:24 »
If you come into my recruiting centre to be sworn in and you look like your sister you will have wished that you would have wasted the money.   Get a haricut!

Well I don't have a sister, so I can't look like her. (Ok, that was smartassey.) I'll probably get a haircut (more like, cut off all of my hair...) but they told us not to. Don't they make everything uniform at recruiter school though? :P
My posts are my opinion alone and do not reflect any other person or group's opinion... because you can't handle the truth, and deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me to say these things.

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2005, 23:09:36 »
Well I don't have a sister, so I can't look like her. (Ok, that was smartassey.) I'll probably get a haircut (more like, cut off all of my hair...) but they told us not to. Don't they make everything uniform at recruiter school though? :P

Make sure you hair is neat and off the collar.  Start setting the example now.
- If we are the only intelligent life in the universe, at least there's a finite number of idiots.

Offline Cataract Kid

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2005, 23:22:48 »
IMHO swearing ceremony is one of the most important event in someone's military career.
To me it really wasn't a big deal...on the other side of the coin though, graduating Pay Level 3...now that was more of a momentous occasion.

Basic Person

« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2005, 00:21:16 »
The info I got in the mail told me to wear a dress shirt and pants w/ jacket and tie for the enrolment ceremony... didn't get the security clearance sheet they told me to fill out tho  :-\

Offline NavComm

• Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2005, 19:06:21 »
IMHO swearing ceremony is one of the most important event in someone's military career.

I may be a traditionalist, (then again, I'm a monarchist too) but the oath you take to join CF is a personal one. A personal commitment stating that you will do your job to your fullest and best ability in Her Majesty's service until you take off the uniform for the last time. (To be faithful and bear true allegiance...)

This is where I'll probably get choked up! The last time the Queen was in Vancouver, I was standing on the street when her entourage went by and she waved. I could just feel the tears welling up in me from just the honour of having been waved at by the Queen! That might be cheesy but I don't care, she moves me and it would be the ultimate honour to serve Queen and country IMHO

An oath is like a super super promise. Break it and what worth does your word have to anyone? (Something I find lack in today's society. Making promises you can't keep)

I am in mind that the Oath of Allegiance should be committed to every member of CF's memory, as a reminder that we should strive to be professional soldiers, because we promised to be.

Well said! I couldn't agree more.

Offline Gumby

• Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2005, 21:38:10 »
I don't know about some of you guys, but I know for me, I've been looking forward to being sworn in for a very long time now.  My whole family is going to be there, I'm wearing my best clothes, shined shoes and fresh haircut for sure, its not everyday a person gets to stand up and declare their commitment to protect and honour this Country and her Queen.
Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim

Offline RS

• Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2005, 12:12:02 »
Glad to see that some other people are looking forward to their swearing in ceremony.  I can't wait to wear the uniform again.  Got out of the military to follow my husband around from posting to posting 16 years ago.  I always missed being part of the Canadian Forces. 

No I won't be starting at pay level 3.........(because it's been more than 10 years) but....... it's not about the money!!
It should be serving your country. To use a previous quote:

An oath is like a super super promise. Break it and what worth does your word have to anyone? (Something I find lack in today's society. Making promises you can't keep)

I am in mind that the Oath of Allegiance should be committed to every member of CF's memory, as a reminder that we should strive to be professional soldiers, because we promised to be

When I have my swearing in ceremony. My husband and my two teenagers are going to be there.  They are proud of me.......heck I am proud of me! 

That's my two cents.......
RS :D

Offline IT_Dude_Joeschmo

• Rate Post
  • Getting 1's and 0's to flow...
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2005, 12:40:35 »
Swearing in I believe is VERY important. When I was about to actually "swear-in", I was sweating, my teeth were chattering and my adrenaline was pumping... Something about it, I don't think I've ever said anything with more conviction in my entire life. Until maybe the time I say "I do"...

It was very personal to me, a moment I'll not forget, the monarchy part I'm not so big on, it's ---->  :cdn:  I'm big on... I swore that I'd die to defend our country, that DAMN well better have meaning for any cherries/FNG's joining our military!!!  :threat:

It's just a job most definately doesn't cut it. If you're in it for the money or extra cash for summer or education, you probably won't make it. If you do, people will see right through you. I didn't join for the money that's for sure...

Although WTF do I know right? I'm still a FNG with 6months TI only completed BMQ+1/2 of SQ...  ;D

Whoever is joining, if it doesn't mean something to you to swear to protect your country and it's people, don't bother...
"When I retire, I want to become a gay Hollywood actor, they always make more money!"... My old boss's plans ;)

Offline CanadianTire

• Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2005, 01:51:51 »
I looked forward to my swearing in...I was told however that shirt and tie were too dressy.

Below is a link to a picture of my being sworn in...it will give you an idea of how formal my swearing in was.

http://www3.telus.net/public/btyre/images/swearing%20in.jpg

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2005, 11:13:08 »
I looked forward to my swearing in...I was told however that shirt and tie were too dressy.

Below is a link to a picture of my being sworn in...it will give you an idea of how formal my swearing in was.

http://www3.telus.net/public/btyre/images/swearing%20in.jpg

Yes the reserves really go all out don't they?

Offline Pieman

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2005, 12:09:44 »
What is the certificate called that he is holding up in the picture?

...I have a nice suit & tie ready for my swearing in  8)....whenever that day finally arrives....
Graffiti in regimental toilet stalls: The official guide to troop moral....apparently.

“Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything.” - Professor Farnsworth

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2005, 13:01:34 »
What is the certificate called that he is holding up in the picture?

...I have a nice suit & tie ready for my swearing in   8)....whenever that day finally arrives....

It is the enrolment certificate, which is no longer to be used because it is not a legal document.  In fact it has been nearly a year since it was removed.  If the recruiter from the SH of C lurks around here, suggest they contact CFRC Vancouver and get the new ones.  Cheers.

Offline CanadianTire

• Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2005, 14:04:01 »
The one I'm holding is a solemn affirmation certificate (as opposed to an oath of allegience).

kincanucks...I wasn't aware that was no longer legal.  As for going all out, like I said, I was ready for shirt and tie! :)  I guess each regiment is different.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2005, 14:07:11 by BDTyre »

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2005, 17:03:26 »
The one I'm holding is a solemn affirmation certificate (as opposed to an oath of allegience).

kincanucks...I wasn't aware that was no longer legal.   As for going all out, like I said, I was ready for shirt and tie! :)   I guess each regiment is different.

You look all right anyway.

Offline IT_Dude_Joeschmo

• Rate Post
  • Getting 1's and 0's to flow...
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2005, 13:18:34 »
It is the enrolment certificate, which is no longer to be used because it is not a legal document.  In fact it has been nearly a year since it was removed.  If the recruiter from the SH of C lurks around here, suggest they contact CFRC Vancouver and get the new ones.  Cheers.

Well ain't that dandy! No one in my unit (Lincoln and Welland reg't) recieved ANY sort of certificate or paper of any kind on our swearing in or after. Only one I've attained is my BMQ "certificate"...  >:(

O-well, I suppose having that is just as good!

PS> Do you get a certificate like that when you finish each course you take? Example: SQ, BIQ, DP1Alpha, JLC???

Joe
"When I retire, I want to become a gay Hollywood actor, they always make more money!"... My old boss's plans ;)

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2005, 13:30:26 »
Well ain't that dandy! No one in my unit (Lincoln and Welland reg't) recieved ANY sort of certificate or paper of any kind on our swearing in or after. Only one I've attained is my BMQ "certificate"...   >:(

O-well, I suppose having that is just as good!

PS> Do you get a certificate like that when you finish each course you take? Example: SQ, BIQ, DP1Alpha, JLC???

Joe

You should receive a course completion certificate after every course.  I have even received one for a two-day course.

Offline Bplante

• Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2008, 23:36:04 »
I try to find the answer on the forum, I didn't. I think it's a easy question.

After I "swearing in", do I have to start the course after. I'm in a complicated situation and I maybe need one more week to go, but I have to swear in this week...

Thanks.