Author Topic: Cooks ( merged )  (Read 134087 times)

Offline Michael Greer

• Rate Post
  • Retired
    • Canadian Forces Cooks
Re: Can I get a little insight From Cooks!
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2006, 13:52:06 »
Well that's primarily going to be dependant on where you're posted, and then what kitchen you'll be in.  An Officers Mess/Wardroom will have numerous high profile/mess dinner/formal meals each year, whereas a Junior Ranks Mess in an Army unit or aboard a ship will have considerably less.  That being said, there is a very high expectation that all meals, including cafeteria style are prepared and presented with the highest of quality and imagination.  That in itself is much more of a challenge than preparing and providing a mess dinner.  It's also greatly appreciated by the troops and sailors, for which I can attest.  Resulting in the comments you see here and why Canadian Military Cooks have the reputation they do with other nations military's.  Wait until you get the chance to try Norway's fresh field rations or a meal aboard a Chinese Destroyer.  You'll have plenty of opportunity to learn & provide both.  Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,

Mike  :cdn:
Change the things you can.  Those you can't, change the way you think about them!

http://members.shaw.ca/cfcooks

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Can I get a little insight From Cooks!
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2006, 15:36:16 »
In the course of my military career, I have eaten a lot of meals in mess halls and messes: in the field; on army, air force and navy bases; on service aircraft; even on a HMCS for a short period; plus have had to sample the culinary attempts of some foreign militaries.  So it is with some experience that I can confirm that CF cooks are some of the best in the world.  Their job is not to provide gourmet dining on a par with a five star restaurant, but they often do.  Even when they don't, the meals they provide rarely fall below the "good, wholesome" category.  I have many memories of good, or really good, or great or "hey, cookie if you weren't so ugly I'd ask you to marry me" meals.  I am still hoping that I can get scrambled eggs in a diner that are as light, fluffy and tasty as the ones I got in Cornwallis/Granville (yes) from a haybox, 30 years ago.  I have only one memory of a mess hall meal that was bad enough to require intervention.  CFB Borden on course, 1980, a Sunday evening.  We went across to the mess for supper and found only one choice of main course, "Sweet and Sour Luncheon Meat".  Canned crap on rice.  Well that brought out a lot of grumbling and threats (including of physical voilence) from the mostly medics and MPs towards the MCpl cook in charge at the time. The Duty Officer was called who called the KO.  If the MCpl was nervous about the threats from us, he was positively terrified after the KO was finished with him and not pleased that he had to cook steaks for us.
Who called the cook a c**t?  Who called that c**t a cook?
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline bogie

• Rate Post
Re: CF Cooks Web Site
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2007, 01:44:51 »
I never knew this site existed!!!! I was a CF Cook in Edmonton and Pet. Hello people!! Been awhile! Bogie!

Offline retiredgrunt45

• Rate Post
Re: CF Cooks Web Site
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2007, 19:46:07 »
Where's the first place you head to, when coming of the line or coming of duty. The good old mess tent. Good food, good hot coffee and plenty of friendly faces. Oh and not to mention the hot pies and other goodies left out for the troops by the baker. Now thats a moral booster!

One thing i learned early on in my career, is to always keep the cooks happy and they'll will always return the favour 10 fold.
The first goal of any political party is to stay in power by whatever means possible. Their second goal is to fool us into believing that we should keep them in power.

A politician is like a used car saleman, he'll promise you a "peach" and then turn around and sell you a "lemon"

"Politicians are like diapers, they have to be changed often because their usually full of crap.

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Army Cook in Afghanistan
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2007, 11:00:41 »
http://www.thewhig.com/webapp/sitepages/co...ws&classif=News

FORWARD OPERATING BASE

SPERWAN GHAR, Afghanistan

Of all the countless – and often thankless – jobs under the baking sun at this mountain base in southern Kandahar province, his is probably the hottest.

Depending on who you ask – and how long it’s been since they’ve eaten a fresh meal – it might also be the most important.

Master Cpl. Dave Dore, who’s attached to the Canadian Forces Joint Signals Regiment based in Kingston, has spent part of the last nine years flying across Canada and around the world, cooking first-class meals for dignitaries, two governors general and three prime ministers – including current Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

Today, he spends his days in the sweltering, gas-fired heat of a portable Canadian Forces galley, boosting the morale of soldiers in Afghanistan one heaping cardboard mess tray at a time.

“I started as infantry, then after a short stint I seen the light and went to cooking,” said Dore, 34.

During his brief time with Harper, he remembers the PM as a generally quiet fellow, and his predecessor – former Liberal prime minister Paul Martin – as a friendly, healthy eater.

It’s Jean Chretien he remembers best, whom he describes in his best faux-Shawinigan drawl as a “beer-and-chicken-wings” kind of guy – provided he wasn’t travelling with his wife, Aline.

“He said, ‘Dave, when my wife is on the plane, I want healthy food – carrot sticks, celery sticks,’ ” Dore recalled.

“When she’s not on the plane, I want chicken wings and I want beer.”

Of all the important mouths he’s fed over the years, the ones that line up at Sperwan Ghar for chow time – three squares a day, three days a week, lunch and dinner the rest of the time – are easily the most rewarding.

“Absolutely, especially when the boys come back from being on rations for 40 days, and they come back to a fresh, hot meal, they’re just so grateful,” said Dore, originally of Elliot Lake, as he stirred a giant vat of spaghetti noodles – one of two entrees on the night’s menu.

“The food that we have on, it doesn’t matter what it is, they’re just so grateful and you can you see the smiles, and you know that you’ve made a difference, that you’ve boosted that morale just a little bit.”

Dore doesn’t just sling hash, either. It’s hearty – and largely healthy – comfort food, such as the stir-fried beef and rice, boiled vegetables, roast chicken and slabs of meat loaf he’s been serving in recent days.

Most of the soldiers look forward to Thursday, which is steak night – often accompanied by a side of crab legs, lobster tails, or whatever else the supply lines from Dubai can provide.

There’s no complaining from the troops, especially the ones who have just returned from a fierce several weeks shelling enemy positions from a Spartan base in Helmand province, leaving their field rations to warm up in the heat.

“It’s unreal. You eat rations for so long, it almost, like, kills your taste buds,” said Bombardier Michael Hobb, of B Troop from the 2nd Royal Canadian Horse Artillery, based in Petawawa.

Hobb, 20, from Yarmouth, N.S., has spent the last 10 days with his fellow gunners at a no-frills forward operating base in Helmand, manning Canada’s M-777 Howitzer cannons in support of coalition troops trying to flush Taliban fighters from the province’s opium-producing northern tip.

He said soldiers often have to be careful when switching between field rations and fresh food, since making the adjustment can be hard on the system. But he’s grateful to be eating like a human being again.

“To get here and eat a fresh meal – it could have been anything, really, but it was amazing,” he said.

“They’re really good cooks here – and all the food that we get is unreal. Some of the guys who were here before said they were getting steak and lobster. They take really good care of us here.”

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: Army Cook in Afghanistan
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2007, 12:14:10 »
Huah.... nut'in but the best for our boys in the field.
Beer & chicken wings be damned!

Thanks for those great cooks in their field kitchens!

CHIMO!

(used to have one cook working for me.... the only thing I had to ensure the officer factored in to his staffing plan was a day off for the cook on payday.  The cook would be out to lunch and bent out of shape for 24 hrs..... not much of a price when you conside there's another good 14 days of good cooking in-between)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 12:16:47 by geo »
Chimo!

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

Is a pinball wizard.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
Re: Army Cook in Afghanistan
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2007, 19:35:06 »
Ah yes, we had some awesome cooks back in the day in 2 RCHA.
The battle cry one year while in bivouc in Norway was to look at the Americans hard-rationing it next to us even whilst camped and us yelling  "WHAT?,..steak, AGAIN?"
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline HansonSherren

• Rate Post
Army bases & cook trade...
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2008, 15:47:09 »
Hi there - I have a quick question.  Long story short, I'm flip flopping between either joining as a cook (I'm a chef already) or a steward (N).  My papers are in already and I did my medical and interview today and currently I'm signed up as steward but can switch to cook (but I have to let them know in the next few days) .. basically my husband and I are outweighing the pros and cons - the only cons to joining as a steward is being away from my family for so long.  Am I correct to assume that if I go as a cook (Army), that I'm only sent away for 6 months during my 3 yr contract?  If yes... then my next question is, where could I be stationed?    When I did a search this is what came up: 

* CFB Edmonton, Alberta
    * CFB Gagetown, New Brunswick
    * CFB Kingston, Ontario
    * CFB Montreal, Quebec
    * CFB Petawawa, Ontario
    * CFB Shilo, Manitoba
    * CFB Suffield, Alberta
    * CFB Valcartier, Quebec
    * CFB Wainwright, Alberta
    * Connaught National Army Cadet Training Centre (CRPTC Connaught), Ontario
    * LFCATC Meaford, Ontario
    * LFAATC Aldershot, Nova Scotia

Is it safe to assume I would be posted to one of these 12 places?

I did a search and couldn't find the information I was looking for so I hope you don't mind my question.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give!!

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: Army bases & cook trade...
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2008, 17:16:25 »
As a cook you can be posted anywhere in the military.  It's a "purple" trade so it doesn't matter what color your DEU is.

As far as your remark about only being sent away for 6 months during your 3 year contract, I have no idea what you are getting at.  You can be sent on tour (be it Afghanistan, Alert or elsewhere), you may be sent on courses (trades training, etc) and there's always taskings, field exercises.....
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline dirtnco

• Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2008, 16:34:43 »
I beg to differ with Pmedmoe, but you or any other military cook will never be posted to Meaford unless you luck out (hehehehe) and arrive for your SQ. The reason being is the Civvi Hunta that thinks it runs this place will not allow a real maker of the meals to practice his/her chosen trade. For whatever reason the inhabitants if the Puzzle palace on the Rideau seem to think that the organization that is currently in place is doing a good job. Those that have graced their tables know better. :skull:
Moe good to see you are still kickin, say hi to Fred.

Stew

INFANTRY-Close with and DESTROY!!!

Offline TheHead

• Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2008, 10:34:06 »
Hi there - I have a quick question.  Long story short, I'm flip flopping between either joining as a cook (I'm a chef already) or a steward (N).  My papers are in already and I did my medical and interview today and currently I'm signed up as steward but can switch to cook (but I have to let them know in the next few days) .. basically my husband and I are outweighing the pros and cons - the only cons to joining as a steward is being away from my family for so long.  Am I correct to assume that if I go as a cook (Army), that I'm only sent away for 6 months during my 3 yr contract?  If yes... then my next question is, where could I be stationed?    When I did a search this is what came up: 

* CFB Edmonton, Alberta
    * CFB Gagetown, New Brunswick
    * CFB Kingston, Ontario
    * CFB Montreal, Quebec
    * CFB Petawawa, Ontario
    * CFB Shilo, Manitoba
    * CFB Suffield, Alberta
    * CFB Valcartier, Quebec
    * CFB Wainwright, Alberta
    * Connaught National Army Cadet Training Centre (CRPTC Connaught), Ontario
    * LFCATC Meaford, Ontario
    * LFAATC Aldershot, Nova Scotia

Is it safe to assume I would be posted to one of these 12 places?

I did a search and couldn't find the information I was looking for so I hope you don't mind my question.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give!!

Have you looked at your trade specific site on Forces.Ca? It has a lot of helpful information.

http://www.forces.ca/v3/engraph/jobs/jobs.aspx?id=861&bhcp=1
Banned from US Politics Threads :  Passed Q4 2018
Banned from Canadian Politics Threads : Passed Q4 2018
Banned from Political Cartoons Thread : Pending

Offline SGGriffey

• Rate Post
Army Cook Questions
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2009, 03:38:54 »
Hi everyone, I was wondering how many cooks the army is needing this year, and if it will be a long wait to get a job offer for this trade?

Also assuming I get a job offer for cook, will I be able to take my own tools, or will all that be provided?

Thanks.

MikeL

Re: Army Cook Questions
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2009, 07:53:32 »
Call your local CFRC. They will have all the info you want.

Offline 2 Cdo

• Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2009, 09:01:19 »
You do realise that being a cook is the toughest trade in the CF, don't you?

Nobody has ever passed the basic cook course!

Apologies to all my cook friends but I couldn't resist.
AIRBORNE
2 Cdo 84-88

Offline Cridden

• Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2009, 07:10:15 »
I started my application in April, did my medical and interview on May 11, and am just waiting for the call now. I am going in as cook as well. I haven't seen many posts about cooks on here...nice to know there are a few of us interested in serving.
I cant wait for the call...its been three weeks now, and feels like 3 months.
I already have my red seal, as well as 20 years of experience in the industry, so apart from basic, the transition should be relatively smooth for me. My former apprentice joined last year and is posted back here at Gagetown, and I hope to get back here as well.
From talking to many CF cooks recently, you'll love it...I cant wait.
Good luck.

matwxx

Cook
« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2009, 22:51:59 »
Hello,

I ve been searching for the cook trade, but there isnt much related topics. If I hold a civi college certificate of cooking, Will I be able to shorten my training and live outside the barrack with my family after the BMQ?

Offline kratz

Laughter drives the sun.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Cook
« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2009, 23:10:10 »
No.

Your initial trades training will be the same as anyone entering without cook skills. This is intended in part to introduce new cooks to how the CF conducts their galley's operations. I have seen red seal chefs, ect... join and start off the same way.

Later, after your QL3 when you are in an operational galley, you will have more than enough opportunity to demonstrate your true skills and based on them, you will be merited for advancement.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

matwxx

« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2009, 23:15:58 »
No.

Your initial trades training will be the same as anyone entering without cook skills. This is intended in part to introduce new cooks to how the CF conducts their galley's operations. I have seen red seal chefs, ect... join and start off the same way.

Later, after your QL3 when you are in an operational galley, you will have more than enough opportunity to demonstrate your true skills and based on them, you will be merited for advancement.

Do you know how long is the training in cook?

Offline ammocat

• Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2009, 00:13:57 »
According to the recruiting webpage, training is 18 weeks at CFB Borden, then 18 months of one the job training.

matwxx

« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2009, 04:18:55 »
I like to know how's life in the period of trade training. Is it mandatory to stay inside the barrack 7 days/ 24 hours? Can you go out on weekend and stay overnight?  And what time wake up and take off from work?

Offline PMedMoe

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2009, 07:08:15 »
I like to know how's life in the period of trade training. Is it mandatory to stay inside the barrack 7 days/ 24 hours? Can you go out on weekend and stay overnight?  And what time wake up and take off from work?

You are not a prisoner in the barracks.  Depending on your course and instructors, you will have free time and should be able to take leave on your days off.  As far as what time you get up and when you get off work, that depends on the school.  Most cooks work some kind of shift but I don't know if they do that at the school or not.

Do you actually have a college certificate?  I only wonder as according to this thread, you have an AME diploma and were looking at another trade/entry plan in August, and here, you spoke of entering as an NCM and then going Officer.

Are you sure about what you want to do??
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Herb

• Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: September 28, 2009, 09:52:18 »
Here is some help for you.  I've just joined and I'm off the St.Jean on Nov. 1st.  I joined air force cook and I do have my red seal.  They gave me cpl. after doing BMQ and also QL5 qualified.  I just have to do a one week crash course in Borden and then I get posted.

Offline PMedMoe

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: September 28, 2009, 10:10:23 »
Herb,  do you have all that on a message or is that only what you were told verbally?
~ Lao Tzu~

matwxx

« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2009, 11:46:02 »
I have a few certificates and diplomas on hand. I am worried that I wont pass the CFAT retest again in End of October because my English is poor. So if I cant reach the requirement in Aviation Tech then I will go on to Cook as my second choice. It just that the recruiter told me is mandatory to stay in barracks everyday for the whole training, so I thought the policies must be very strict. And also, for BMQ, do you wake up at 5am and take off at 11pm? Just want to clarify.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 11:53:32 by matwxx »

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2009, 12:01:19 »
I have a few certificates and diplomas on hand. I am worried that I wont pass the CFAT again in October because my English is poor. So if I cant reach the requirement in Aviation Tech then I will go on to Cook as my second choice. It just that the recruiter told me is mandatory to stay in barracks everyday for the whole training, so I thought the policies must be very strict.

"Pass the CFAT again"?  To the best of my knowledge, you'll only ever do the CFAT once (unless you remustered years down the road), and if you qualified for cook the first time around, then you won't be retested.

Have you given copies of the certificates and diplomas to the recruiters, and requested a prior learning assessment for advanced standing in the cook trade?  That's how Herb would have gained his advanced standing of Corporal/QL5 on completion of BMQ.  That's a minimum four year jump on untrained people.

Your recruiter may have been referring to BMQ, during which you would be initially confined to barracks, but gradually be granted additional privileges like weekend leave away from the base, etc.  Once BMQ is done, you're a big boy and as long as you attend training and assigned duties on time, your off time is yours to do with as you please.