Author Topic: General CFRC Questions – Primary Reserve  (Read 272618 times)

aesop081

Re: General CFRC Questions – Primary Reserve
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2010, 15:47:18 »
I'm sure thats not what the OP was looking for.........

Offline zzyzx723

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2010, 20:56:06 »
On my courses, a few of the guys have had a dip when we're sitting in class. I remember one guy on my LSVW course always had a pinch of chew in, and spit into the same bottle every day (he just emptied it and rinsed it out at night :P ). None of the staff or civi instructors seem to mind. But yeah, there are places where it would definitely be inappropriate, and you'll figure those out quick in the military.
- Dave
  "VVV"

Offline VIChris

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2010, 01:50:28 »
Whatever you do, don't hide your dip cup in a dresser drawer, and hope your IC/ 2IC doesn't open that drawer on inspection. This happened to one of my roomates, and there was a nice little trail of spittle across the floor, and a big splash where the cup somehow missed the garbage can when the MCpl was kind enough to help my roomate by getting his garbage to the can for him. Not a fun cleanup.
Aspera Juvant!

Offline Ingmundar

• Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2010, 19:35:21 »
I realize questions of this nature probably come by here a lot, so thanks in advance for helping me with my concerns.

I am currently in Grade 12 and live in Winnipeg. I was speaking with a friend of mine who applied to join the reserves last month and he really piqued my interest. I've done some research but I am looking for a bit more information.

Firstly, I am in Grade 12 and at the moment finishing high school strongly is my main priority, with university applications and scholarships becoming more of an issue. Is it possible to commit fully to school and the Reserves as well? Those who have done this, how did it go for you?
What are the hours like, I hear that it is one night per week and one weekend per month, what exactly does "weekend per month" mean?

Are all possibly military trades and specialities available to somebody who is interested at this age? How does specializing go?

What sort of additional materials do I require for my application? I have heard that I require references, how many do I require?

MikeL

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2010, 20:03:35 »
Is it possible to commit fully to school and the Reserves as well?

No it has never been done before..

You are not the first person to ask this question, or anything else about being in the Reserves and school.. search and you will have lots of info on everything you want to know and more.

Offline Nauticus

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2010, 21:12:38 »
I realize questions of this nature probably come by here a lot, so thanks in advance for helping me with my concerns.

I am currently in Grade 12 and live in Winnipeg. I was speaking with a friend of mine who applied to join the reserves last month and he really piqued my interest. I've done some research but I am looking for a bit more information.

Firstly, I am in Grade 12 and at the moment finishing high school strongly is my main priority, with university applications and scholarships becoming more of an issue. Is it possible to commit fully to school and the Reserves as well? Those who have done this, how did it go for you?
What are the hours like, I hear that it is one night per week and one weekend per month, what exactly does "weekend per month" mean?

Are all possibly military trades and specialities available to somebody who is interested at this age? How does specializing go?

What sort of additional materials do I require for my application? I have heard that I require references, how many do I require?
1. Yes, if you have time management skills, you may be able to balance high school and the reserves.

No, not all military trades are available to you. Many have specific requirements that a high schooler does not have - you can find requirements at www.forces.ca.

Your application consists of tons of paperwork to be filled out, 5 references you've known for 5 years (not including family members), an aptitude test, an interview, medical exam, and fitness test.

All of this information is on www.forces.ca, and in other threads on this message board. Check there for more info.
"Fate guides who will; who won't, it drags."

Offline arushbhai

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2010, 13:06:55 »
I live in missisauga and i currently dont have any car. How do i get to the base, i know there is one in oakville and one in brampton (both infantry) they are both atleast 2 hours away from where i live. Does army provide special bus service for its members to reach the base? for example, providing a bus service from square one, mississauga? or providing a bus service from Union station, Toronto? because i know a lot of people who want to join the reserve but transportation is the only hurdle. I am a student and I also work. Well, I can make some changes in my work schedule but i still think 4 hours (reaching and comingback) is a lot oftime. Can someone aware me of any special bus services or anything? Thanks. Oh btw this is my first post and ill start contibuting to this forum from nowon. Thanks guys

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2010, 13:11:08 »
TTC

That's it.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Redeye

Living The Afghan National Army Dream...

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Hope Is Not A Method
    • The Unofficial Website of the Hastings & Prince Edward Regiment
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2010, 13:18:20 »
The Toronto Scottish Regiment may be your best bet, they're close to Mississauga, and close to transit.

http://tsrpd.com/tsr/where-we-meet.html

I live in missisauga and i currently dont have any car. How do i get to the base, i know there is one in oakville and one in brampton (both infantry) they are both atleast 2 hours away from where i live. Does army provide special bus service for its members to reach the base? for example, providing a bus service from square one, mississauga? or providing a bus service from Union station, Toronto? because i know a lot of people who want to join the reserve but transportation is the only hurdle. I am a student and I also work. Well, I can make some changes in my work schedule but i still think 4 hours (reaching and comingback) is a lot oftime. Can someone aware me of any special bus services or anything? Thanks. Oh btw this is my first post and ill start contibuting to this forum from nowon. Thanks guys
Palma Non Sine Pulvere - Nothing Worth Having Comes Easily!

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2010, 13:45:22 »
It's been 25 years since I've been a member of the Toronto Garrison, but all those years ago, there were at least 38 reserve units in the Toronto area, the vast majority of which were easily accessible by the TTC.  We certainly had members in my unit who lived in Mississauga and travelled by TTC/GO Train to get to the unit.  The Bathurst street car runs directly from Bathurst Station to Fort York Armoury and HMCS YORK.
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline arushbhai

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2010, 14:04:22 »
So these are the 2 closest reserve units near my house.
2 Chapel Street Brampton, Ontario its an infantry Unit
and
90 Thomas Street, Oakville, its also an infantry unit
I live near square one, mississauga, im sure most of you know whre it is.

Offline tree hugger

• Hug a Betula allegeniensis.
  • Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2010, 14:21:28 »
There used to be an armoury in Missisauga as part of the Lorne Scots.  It was a rented facility east off of  dundas, just south of the QEW.   Is it gone?  Last time I was there was in 2008....
Always behave like a duck.   Remain cool and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the dickens underneath.

Offline arushbhai

• Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2010, 14:44:58 »
hey treehugger thanksfor the reply, can you please tell me more about this unit. I checked canadian reserve website and many other links but did notfind any armoury unit in mississaug, please help me out bro. thnks

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2010, 14:53:11 »
I found this:

75th Coy, Toronto Scottish Regiment
3330 Ridgeway Drive, Units 1&2
Mississauga, Ontario
L5L 5Z9

on this website:  http://canadian-forces.blogspot.com/

Also, The Lorne Scots website here:  http://www.lornescots.ca/army/default.htm  There doesn't seem to be an armoury in Mississauga.

Google is your friend.   :nod:
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline arushbhai

• Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2010, 21:51:37 »
I found this:

Mississauga, Ontario
L5L 5Z9

Also, The Lorne Scots website here:  http://www.lornescots.ca/army/default.htm  There doesn't seem to be an armoury in Mississauga.

hey i cant find their unt in mississauga. I did find out about infantry unit in oakville but its extremely far from my house. how come they dont have the mississauga unit in their official website

Offline tree hugger

• Hug a Betula allegeniensis.
  • Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2010, 07:24:58 »
I found this:

Mississauga, Ontario
L5L 5Z9

Thought the scottish were in Etobicoke.  And the Lorne Scots were Miss, Oakville, Brampton and Georgetown.  At least I was part right.  The 3330 Ridgeway is the location I was thinking of though.
Always behave like a duck.   Remain cool and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the dickens underneath.

Offline Davionn

• Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2010, 23:20:21 »
arushbhai,

Tor Scots are based in Etobicoke, but also have a presence in Mississauga.

Those who live in Mississauga parade there, though usually only after finishing their infantry training.  Until then, it's Etobicoke (and wherever your courses take place). 

Talk to the recruiter to get more info...

Davionn

Offline arushbhai

• Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2010, 23:41:08 »
arushbhai,

Tor Scots are based in Etobicoke, but also have a presence in Mississauga.

Those who live in Mississauga parade there, though usually only after finishing their infantry training.  Until then, it's Etobicoke (and wherever your courses take place). 

Talk to the recruiter to get more info...

Davionn
thanks alot, ill give them a call, i hopeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee they let me do the training and everything else related to reserve army in mississauga. ill be in reserve for few months and than as soon as i start uni, ill join the active force

Offline Tommy

• If you dont fill out your Claim properly, the Terrorists Win...
  • Rate Post
  • This Space for Rent - Enquire Within
    • iRock
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2010, 01:36:31 »
thanks alot, ill give them a call, i hopeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee they let me do the training and everything else related to reserve army in mississauga. ill be in reserve for few months and than as soon as i start uni, ill join the active force

Easy Tiger......

If you're looking at going into the Regular Army why not just wait until then? I know most reserve units would not want to go through the process of taking a member on only to loose them within the year to a Reg Force component Transfer....

unless you mean, you would not show up much until you start university, and then you will parade regularly..

In either case I advise you contact a recruiter from the unit you are thinking of joining, and then give a good hard look at your commitment level. If you don't plan on giving it your 100% right from the start, then I would suggest finding a less demanding part time job...

Also, I don't know what your knowledge of the Canadian Forces actually is, but I would suggest you take a look at Forces.ca first.... If you think it's going to be like Call of Duty, or Medal of Honor... You are in for a really rude wake up call on day 1.

Regards,
Tommy
Tommy is retired now so he can say any opinion he darned well pleases so long as it stays within the forum guidelines :D

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2010, 07:39:56 »
i hopeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee they let me do the training and everything else related to reserve army in mississauga.

If they don't do training in the Mississauga location, they don't.  It's not a matter of "letting" you.

Also, while I think English may not be your first language, please attempt to use proper grammar, spelling, capitalization, etc.  It makes posts easier to read.  If you're starting university soon, you might as well get into a habit of proper writing now.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline arushbhai

• Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2010, 19:14:55 »
That if RMC doesnt accept you for any reason, what they do is, they let you go to any university you want as an officer, with officer salary and benefits.
I am pretty sure, I'll be doing something similiar as RMC does not offer Criminal justice and public policy/police foundation. Do you think my training would be any different than those guys from Basic up documentry? Those 5 guys had no post secondary education. Is my training going to be any different since I'll be going for Officer position?

Offline arushbhai

• Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2010, 19:18:35 »
Also; When do I apply for canadian forces? Should I apply after I get accepted in university?  because Army pays for your education. I actually want to be a military police officer. So What happens that the army pays for my education and once I am done with my degree, I find out that I am not fit for MP.

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2010, 19:22:37 »
That if RMC doesnt accept you for any reason, what they do is, they let you go to any university you want as an officer, with officer salary and benefits.

Not entirely true. Read the RMC admission material again.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline arushbhai

• Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2010, 19:20:38 »
When you do ROTP, do you do as a cadet officer, second lieutenant or lieutenant? because in forces.ca, ROTP is included in all 3 ranks with different salary. What does that mean?

Offline ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2010, 19:26:35 »
For most (I would say all but I am getting smarter than that) ROTP students, RMC or Civie U, you will be an Officer-Cadet and you will be following Pay Level A.

The different Pay Levels should be described at the bottom of the chart. If not, use this chart http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/ps/pay-sol/pr-sol/rfor-ofr-eng.asp
Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?