Author Topic: The Wearing and Location of The Poppy- Uniform/Civilian  (Read 178913 times)

Offline The Army Guy

• Rate Post
Re: The Wearing and Location of The Poppy- Uniform/Civilian
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2004, 10:46:31 »
I have worn my poppy on my tunic and will keep it there.  I think that regardless of where it is placed, it still means the same thing.  We will remember them.  I do agree that the loss of tradition is a sad thing.  If it's a matter of tradition then it needs to be addressed to a higher power.  I can agree that the headdress is a good place for it.  The previous arguments support that you need only one poppy if it's on your lid.  There are others however, that maintain that poppies are more easily lost from the headdress.  The only part of wearing on the tunic that I dislike is that fact that you need several poppies and they almost always get crushed or ripped of while take off or putting on layers.  I like the pin idea.  Going to see if I can find a few like that.  To Inch-  do you think the higher ups would support a badge sewn onto the lapel or rank slip on for use during the 2 weeks prior to Nov. 11th?  If it's sewn on it's not FOD.  Just a thought.

Feel free to disagree.

Cheers!! :cdn:

The Army Guy

:cdn:LEST WE FORGET :cdn:
Get on the bus get off the bus!!   Hurry up and wait!!   It's the way of the Canadian Military!!

Gotta love it.

Offline Rounder

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2004, 11:16:29 »
Our CSM told us yesterday that the poppy will be worn over the left breast pocket this year. And the middle of the poppy must be original, no Maple Leaf button. It seems to change every year.
If you're on time... you're already 10 minutes late.

Who owns the Chiefs?

Offline CFN. Orange

• Rate Post
  • Proud to be Canadian ARTE ET MARTE
    • http://www.25service.ca
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2004, 11:40:38 »
Out unit informed us that Oct 29 was the first day the poppy could be worn up to 2 weeks after Nov 11.

Proud to drink and be Canadian.
True Blue Leafs Fan.
ARTE ET MARTE

R421 Weaps Tech (land)
25 Svc Bn (Toronto)

Offline pbi

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2004, 11:55:01 »
Yes-that stupid pin on the poppy-when is somebody going to apply some technology to that? Or...is it a case of "lose one, buy one...?"

Cheers.
The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools. ...

The true measure of a man is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out...

Offline muskrat89

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Desert Rat
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2004, 12:33:06 »
It's something our American friends are missing out on, I think.

Actually, the various groups (DAV, VFW, American Legion) do sell poppies here every year around Veteran's Day. Admittedly, it's not nearly as prevalent here as it is in Canada. Also, the poppies are a lot different...
The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

Offline Guardian

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2004, 13:02:24 »
Really? I had no idea....

Here's hoping it catches on.

Offline Inch

• Signal Charlie Goodtimes
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • CH124 Driver
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2004, 16:27:38 »
To Inch-   do you think the higher ups would support a badge sewn onto the lapel or rank slip on for use during the 2 weeks prior to Nov. 11th?   If it's sewn on it's not FOD.   Just a thought.

Feel free to disagree.

The Army Guy

:cdn:LEST WE FORGET :cdn:

I would say that getting something sewn on for 2 weeks every year would be a huge hassle. With the new flight suits we don't sew anything on ourselves, so you'd have hundreds of guys bringing stuff into the tailor to be sewn that we're only going to wear for 2 weeks.  I like the badge idea and that could work, all badges on the green flight suits are velcro'd on, it'd be super simple to replace one of our badges with a velcro'd poppy badge.

Cheers
You sir are a moron!
A Mormon? But I'm from Earth.

Offline armywife411

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2004, 16:35:07 »
Just a suggestion, but for those worried about the poppy falling off or getting stuck, why not go to a craft store, buy the blank pin with safety backings and glue the green centre of the poppy to the front of the pin. I'm not sure if it would be allowed, but just a suggestion.  :)

Offline PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2004, 17:02:51 »
In civies I use a small Canadian flag in the center - it has a proper pin
"The higher the rank, the more necessary it is that boldness should be accompanied by a reflective mind....for with increase in rank it becomes always a matter less of self-sacrifice and more a matter of the preservation of others, and the good of the whole."

Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Rounder

• Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2004, 17:15:38 »
Just a suggestion, but for those worried about the poppy falling off or getting stuck, why not go to a craft store, buy the blank pin with safety backings and glue the green centre of the poppy to the front of the pin. I'm not sure if it would be allowed, but just a suggestion

I've dont this before, and it works well.
If you're on time... you're already 10 minutes late.

Who owns the Chiefs?

Offline the 48th regulator

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2004, 21:06:27 »
head dress for me.

As for the General that was concerned about what people thought of himself and his Poppy? All I would say is I don't need some plastic flower to help me remember, as everyday is November 11th for me.

Dileas Gu Brath

Tess, CD, a guy who once tried to read esquire

« Last Edit: October 29, 2004, 21:17:25 by the 48th regulator »
I know that I’m not perfect and that I don’t claim to be, so before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.

Offline Sailing Instructor

• Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2004, 00:34:24 »
I'm glad to have stimulated so much discussion on this interesting topic but no one has even attempted to answer my question?  Which is:

Does (did) the navy wear the poppy on their white-tops (& now berets)? Or is it purely an army thing?

Offline bossi

• "vae soli, vae victus"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • The puck stops here ('War On Ice'!) Fight Smarter!
    • My pix (on MSN)
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2004, 10:01:25 »
I'm glad to have stimulated so much discussion on this interesting topic but no one has even attempted to answer my question?   Which is:

Does (did) the navy wear the poppy on their white-tops (& now berets)? Or is it purely an army thing?

Okay - in the absence of anybody who can answer from a pre-unification historical perspective (i.e. when the RCN swabbies wore a more real, traditional naval uniform), I know the CF Dress Manual showed naval pers in DEU wearing the poppy on their white, peaked "forage" caps.
Junior officers and NCOs who neglect to guide the thinking of their men are shirking a command responsibility.
-Feb 1955 Cbt Forces Journal
Those who appreciate true valour should in their daily intercourse set gentleness first and aim to win the love and esteem of others. If you affect valour and act with violence, the world will in the end detest you and look upon you as wild beasts. Of this you should take heed.
-Emperor Meiji: Rescript to Soldiers and Sailors, 4 January 1883

Offline Sailing Instructor

• Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2004, 23:44:26 »
Ah, thanks very much then.  This is where I'll attempt to wear it tomorrow & see if I can at least 'stimulate some discussion' (how's that for a euphemism for 'jacking-up'!).

Offline Art Johnson

• Fallen Comrade
  • Veteran
    • http://dileas.mapleleafup.org/
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2004, 00:23:52 »
Being a DINASOUR I don't ever recall wearing a POPPY on my uniform, headdress or whatever. While serving in the army I don't ever recall wearing a POPPY. I was more concerned wether we were going to wear Greatcoats and gloves or just Battledress for the Remembrance Parade, it can be darn cold in November. My personell preference for civilian dress is to wear it on the lapel. I have replaced the dark centre of the issue poppy with a small Canadian Flag that is available from your MP it also has a better fastening device. You have to consider guys that I go back to the 50s. I'm not against anything new but as a civilian I will do things the way I please.

Offline Spr.Earl

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Grizzled Old Veteran
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2004, 23:24:59 »
I wear this little badge all year round on my lapel. :cdn: :salute:
THE PRECEDING POST AND OTHERS MADE BY MYSELF ARE MY PERSONAL VIEWS, NOT FOR REPRODUCTION, NOT FOR CUT AND PASTE OF ANY PORTION THEREOF, NO QUOTES ARE PERMITTED ELSEWHERE,ANYWHERE OTHER THAN EXCLUSIVELY IN THIS WEB FORUM.

UBIQUE
Be Safe

Offline The Army Guy

• Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2004, 00:06:51 »
I like the badge idea and that could work, all badges on the green flight suits are velcro'd on, it'd be super simple to replace one of our badges with a velcro'd poppy badge.

I was speaking to a friend of mine today who is ex-military.  He suggested that you wear the poppy year round as a show of respect for those who served and gave their lives for their country.  Not a bad idea I think.  In keeping with the badge idea INCH I think a Velcro strap could be placed on the left chest permanently and then the poppy would have it's own place to stay when authorized.

The Army Guy
Get on the bus get off the bus!!   Hurry up and wait!!   It's the way of the Canadian Military!!

Gotta love it.

Offline Michael Dorosh

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Verloren ist nur, wer sich selbst aufgibt!
    • CANUCK
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2004, 00:11:46 »
I like the badge idea and that could work, all badges on the green flight suits are velcro'd on, it'd be super simple to replace one of our badges with a velcro'd poppy badge.

I was speaking to a friend of mine today who is ex-military.  He suggested that you wear the poppy year round as a show of respect for those who served and gave their lives for their country.  Not a bad idea I think.  In keeping with the badge idea INCH I think a Velcro strap could be placed on the left chest permanently and then the poppy would have it's own place to stay when authorized.

The Army Guy

If I see someone wearing a poppy in May, I just presume he's a moron who forgot to take it down, sort of like the idiots who keep Christmas lights up year round.  You could celebrate your birthday every month too, I guess, but wouldn't it come to mean pretty much nothing?  Once a year is special - doesn't mean we forget the rest of the year, we just focus our attention as a nation once a year.  Unless you want an extra day off at Christmas, of course, in which case you're allowed to forget....
"So, how's your sister?" -Brigadeführer Hermann Fegelein

http://www.canadiansoldiers.com
 http://www.calgaryhighlanders.com

Offline The Army Guy

• Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2004, 00:32:11 »

If I see someone wearing a poppy in May, I just presume he's a moron who forgot to take it down, sort of like the idiots who keep Christmas lights up year round. You could celebrate your birthday every month too, I guess, but wouldn't it come to mean pretty much nothing? Once a year is special - doesn't mean we forget the rest of the year, we just focus our attention as a nation once a year. Unless you want an extra day off at Christmas, of course, in which case you're allowed to forget....

I wasn't attempting to place less importance on the remembrance as in the "Christmas Every Day" syndrome.  I was just passing on an idea.  My proposal to INCH was that the spot of Velcro be added to the flightsuit to allow for placement of the poppy for the authorized two week period of wear.  Not looking to make an all year event out of wearing the poppy.  I like seeing it show up at the end of Oct. every year.  Lets you know that people are still thinking about the past and the current soldiers serving.

The Army Guy

Gotta love it.

Storm

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2004, 15:09:25 »
I think a poppy badge for flightsuits would be a great idea, though I doubt an extra strip of velcro for something only worn a couple weeks per year is practical. The poppy could be used in place of one of the usual shoulder patches. The main step would be to get an exemption for the badge from the "badges must be green" rule so that a red poppy badge could be worn (an olive green poppy just wouldn't look right). I can't see anyone seriously opposing that, so it just needs someone to pony up and spend some time to do the ceremonial cutting of the red tape.

Offline Inch

• Signal Charlie Goodtimes
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • CH124 Driver
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2004, 16:58:47 »
Storm, I agree, having a piece of velcro sewn on that's only going to be used for 2 weeks every year doesn't seem worth it. You hit it bang on with the low vis badges too. Unfortunately I'm up to my neck in CH124 Operating instructions and that ball isn't going to be set in motion by me.

Cheers
You sir are a moron!
A Mormon? But I'm from Earth.

Veterans son

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2004, 18:25:14 »
When my father was in the CF, I am told he wore the poppy on his forage cap and beret. :salute:
It would be nice if they brought that tradition back in the CF.

Offline atticus

• Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2004, 03:28:22 »
I'm just wondering how to properly wear a poppy in civillian dress? I can't seem to find anything that says how to.   :cdn:
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 10:03:34 by bossi »
"Canada being mad at you is like Mr. Rodgers throwing a brick through your window." - John Stewart

Storm

« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2004, 03:41:23 »
There isn't any rule for civilians wearing it, but traditionally it's worn on the left lapel (if in a suit) or somewhere on the left chest. That being said, it's really a personal choice. Anywhere you want is fine in civvies so long as it's not disrespectful, since as a reservist when you're not on duty/in uniform you're on your own time and considered to be a civilian. Much more so than gifts, it's the thought that counts.

Offline MrRGoyer

• Rate Post
  • MrRGoyer
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2004, 09:41:06 »
I usually wear the poppy on my left lapel like Storm said I think that it looks best there. :salute:
We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people.
- Jul 2005
- Gen Hillier, Chief of the Defence Staff