Author Topic: Birth Certificates and Citizenship (Merged)  (Read 21447 times)

Offline jarko

• Rate Post
  • Infantry Hooah
    • http://soon
Birth Certificates and Citizenship (Merged)
« on: July 19, 2004, 23:03:10 »
Sorry for posting alot, just need some quick answers about small things before i leave to the recruiting center in the morning to drop off my app.

My birth certificate is in the Polish language, i dont have a translated one. Will this be ok, or will i have problems if i hand this one it??
What ever doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger ;
Whatever doesn't kill ME, had better run like hell!

mclipper

Re: Language on Birth Certificate
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 23:14:00 »
You are going to have to have it translated into either English of French.

Offline jarko

• Rate Post
  • Infantry Hooah
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004, 23:17:39 »
dang, where can i translate a birth certificate in Toronto, from Polish to english?? :crybaby:
« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 23:24:11 by jarko »

Ender57

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2004, 11:55:22 »
Try and see if you can either find a polish consulate or a place where a lot of polish people go to and someone there should be able to translate it for you. You also might have to get a new one sent to you in english, but that would most likely take a while for you.

Offline Pieman

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 13:08:57 »
You probably want an official translation. Then you would not have to worry about trying to get a copy of your cirtificate in English. (If that is even possible)

Just google 'translation service canada' and you will get lots of companies.
Graffiti in regimental toilet stalls: The official guide to troop moral....apparently.

“Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything.” - Professor Farnsworth

Offline jarko

• Rate Post
  • Infantry Hooah
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2004, 14:48:58 »
Thx for the replies guys, but i went into the Telus book and found Certified Translators which most of the agencies charge from $60 and up , Did a little more search and found a private certified translator who charges 30 buks. Super Deal. Plus its very close to the recruiting center so i will go straight there tommorow. ;D ;D

Offline yot

• Rate Post
  • Born to HELP
    • Exuberant
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2004, 16:43:14 »
did they ask for that?? because I didn't find the certified translators... I just gave my birth certificate to the recruiter.. and he photocopyed for me... (my birth certificate is in Chinese, little bit of English)
- Nameless

Offline stevefrench

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 23:45:20 »
hi all just wondering if any one had a link or an idea of how i would go about going after a replacement birth certificate.  I was born in saskatchewan but now live in alberta.  I ask because i do need this priceless peice of paper before i can submit an application   thanx

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

Is a pinball wizard.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
Re: birth certificate
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 23:47:46 »
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline khpark

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 22:28:11 »
Alright, I've used and looked through the search function to see if anyone else had same question I had before.  So far none have.  So here's the question.  Does anyone know if the birth certificate has to be in English? Or could it be in another language as long as it's official?

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Birth Certificates
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 22:36:45 »
Does anyone know if the birth certificate has to be in English? Or could it be in another language as long as it's official?

Language on Birth Certificate 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=17749.0

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 22:38:20 »
Alright, I've used and looked through the search function to see if anyone else had same question I had before.  So far none have.  So here's the question.  Does anyone know if the birth certificate has to be in English? Or could it be in another language as long as it's official?

If your birth certificate is official government issue in the jurisdiction in which you were born, that's fine. One can hardly expect a foreign state to issue birth certificates in English or French to appease a our bureaucracy.

The C.F. is well acquainted with naturalized citizens, and will have the proper personnel available when it comes time to security screen you to ensure the authenticity of your birth certificate. Don't let it worry you.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline khpark

• Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 22:56:26 »
Thanks for the quick replies.  Having non English certificate is fine for both application and documents to bring to CFLRS, right?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 23:08:16 by khpark »

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 23:50:06 »
Thanks for the quick replies.  Having non English certificate is fine for both application and documents to bring to CFLRS, right?

Yeah man- your birth certificate is your birth certificate. The recruiting centre looks at all that, and they get it vetted. Good to go is good to go.  It's only going to come in whatever language it was produced in by the country you were born in. Trust me, you have nothing to worry about. There will simply have to be a bit of extra work put in on your file by the security screeners is all.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline khpark

• Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 23:51:32 »
Thank you very much  ;D

Offline khpark

• Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2012, 16:27:22 »
Well, a reply to my email regarding this question came back from my recruiting center and it says it HAS to be in either English or French...

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2012, 16:50:33 »
What country were you born in?

Offline mld

• Rate Post
  • Attitude is half the battle.
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2012, 16:55:23 »
You will have to have it officially translated by a third party. The cost comes out of your pocket. Germany is very difficult to get a birth certificate in English, but as long as an official translation is provided with the original birth certificate, they will take it.
Can't we all just get along?

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2012, 16:58:55 »
You will have to have it officially translated by a third party. The cost comes out of your pocket. Germany is very difficult to get a birth certificate in English, but as long as an official translation is provided with the original birth certificate, they will take it.

Getting a notarized translation is not the same as mandating that an original document be in English or French. The former is easy. The latter is in many cases going to be impossible because the nation simply does not offer it in those languages. Anyone in recruiting who is communicating to an applicant that an original, foreign birth certificate must be in French or English is someone who I'm going to consider out to lunch, but likely due to inexperience. Simply thinking this one through shows how little sense that makes. Frankly this sounds like someone doesn't know an answer, so they're making one up.

Offline khpark

• Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2012, 17:06:43 »
I was born in Korea and have the original certificate from there.  I'm going to get it translated and approved by the embassy that's in Vancouver downtown.  Just in case, CFLRS wants it in English or French. (can't be too careful right?)  Also, I sent an email out to CFLRS, although I don't think I won't get a reply any time soon since most or all the staff are out for the holidays.  Might as well go ask directly to the place I'll be going to.  But thanks for the replies. 

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2012, 17:16:02 »
I was born in Korea and have the original certificate from there.  I'm going to get it translated and approved by the embassy that's in Vancouver downtown.  Just in case, CFLRS wants it in English or French. (can't be too careful right?)  Also, I sent an email out to CFLRS, although I don't think I won't get a reply any time soon since most or all the staff are out for the holidays.  Might as well go ask directly to the place I'll be going to.  But thanks for the replies.

Yeah, an 'official' (notarized) translation will do the trick then. Not a chance in hell there's a written policy anywhere saying that we expect an original birth certificate written in one of *our* official languages for a place like Korea. The person you talked to must have misinterpreted the need (if there is one) for an officially translated copy.

Offline Gizmo 421

• Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2012, 19:57:23 »
I think that you may find that the recruiting centre will be more interested in your proof of Canadian citizenship vice your birth certificate from Korea.

http://forces.ca/en/page/applynow-100#step1-1

PERSONAL DOCUMENTS

In addition to the application forms, all applicants must submit the following personal documents:

Birth certificate or proof of Canadian citizenship
    Photo identification (i.e. provincial drivers’ license, student identification, etc.)
    Academic transcripts (high school, college, and university)

Upon enrolment, you will be required to show:

Your SIN card
    Any dependant birth certificates (as applicable)

Do not send original forms or documents by mail; please send photocopies with your application and retain the originals. Bring the originals with you for verification when you attend your first meeting at a recruitment centre.

I still have so much to learn.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2012, 21:15:00 »
I think that you may find that the recruiting centre will be more interested in your proof of Canadian citizenship vice your birth certificate from Korea.

http://forces.ca/en/page/applynow-100#step1-1

PERSONAL DOCUMENTS

In addition to the application forms, all applicants must submit the following personal documents:

Birth certificate or proof of Canadian citizenship
    Photo identification (i.e. provincial drivers’ license, student identification, etc.)
    Academic transcripts (high school, college, and university)

Upon enrolment, you will be required to show:

Your SIN card
    Any dependant birth certificates (as applicable)

Do not send original forms or documents by mail; please send photocopies with your application and retain the originals. Bring the originals with you for verification when you attend your first meeting at a recruitment centre.

For purposes of security and reliability screening I expect they would need both.

Offline Old and Tired

• Donor
  • Rate Post
  • Just a Dumb A** radop
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2012, 09:48:54 »
I just checked my recruiters handbook.

Yeah, an 'official' (notarized) translation will do the trick then. Not a chance in hell there's a written policy anywhere saying that we expect an original birth certificate written in one of *our* official languages for a place like Korea. The person you talked to must have misinterpreted the need (if there is one) for an officially translated copy.

Brihard is correct, there is no policy that says that the birth cert "Must be in english/french or translated."  I've had applicants bring in birth certificates from Yugoslavia, U.S.S.R. (Ukraine), one from South Korea, China and a couple of other places.  I have yet to request/require an applicant to bring in an English/French translation. As long as they have their citizenship card that we can copy as a Certified True Copy I have yet to have problems with Birth Certs from different countries.

I suspect,as Brihard suggested, that some one answered the phone who isn't a "recruiter", and made up an answer without checking with either the Military Career Councilors, or the recruiters in the office.
If you can keep your head while all about you are loosing theirs, obviously you don't understand the complexity of the problem.

"Hey, Andy, watch this; it'll gonna be really cool........"

Offline Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2012, 11:23:10 »

Odd, two of my children have German birth certificates, and they're in five languages, English included.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline khpark

• Rate Post
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2012, 12:18:14 »
@ Old and Tired, the person who answered my question at the recruiting center is an immediate contact for the holidays.  He is a production supervisor there, according to the email he sent me.  And if I can bring a birth certificate written in Korean and that's ok with the people at CFLRS, then I'd be a happy NCdt!  (And Merry Christmas to you all!  :gottree:)

Offline Sigs Pig

• Rate Post
  • Don't wake the bear...
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2012, 14:07:09 »
@ Old and Tired, the person who answered my question at the recruiting center is an immediate contact for the holidays.  He is a production supervisor there, according to the email he sent me.  And if I can bring a birth certificate written in Korean and that's ok with the people at CFLRS, then I'd be a happy NCdt!  (And Merry Christmas to you all!  :gottree:)

What? Are we Twits??
We work to eat to get the strength to work to eat to get the strength to work.
- John Dos Passos, 1896 - 1970

Offline Cardiomegaly1

• Rate Post
Weird and unique situation regarding my birth certificate.
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2014, 01:33:06 »
So I will be talking with my file manager asap on Monday when the office opens, since I have to hand in my forms and take my CFAT on Tuesday, but I wanted to ask if anyone has seen this before and if it created an issue.

So I went to my parents to get my birth certificate. I was born in another country so my birth certificate was translated at the Canadian Embassy in that country before we immigrated in 1989. When we came here, the school system took the original translated version and we never got it back. So all I have for it is a copy. However, this copy has been signed and stamped at that same embassy on a visit back home. Hoping this won't be an issue, but anyone not have their original original certificate before?

Now for the second (and very weird) part of this birth certificate:
I found out that in my home country (I came to Canada when I was 1 year old) there's no such thing as a last name. Just given names (first name, then father's name, then grandfather's name, but all are considered given names). So I have no family name at birth. When we came to Canada, the immigration department at the airport told my parents to choose a family name, so he chose his great-grandpa's name.
So where it says "first name and surname" on my birth certificate, all it says is my first name. And NO WHERE on the certificate is my family name printed...

I don't know what to think. I got pretty distressed about the whole situation so I figured while I bide my time until Monday, I'd ask here.

Offline Hatchet Man

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Weird and unique situation regarding my birth certificate.
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2014, 05:05:18 »
It's not unusual however as you are foreign born, the correct document you should be using is your Citizenship Card not a foreign birth certificate.  Birth Certificates are used to confirm citizenship of people born IN Canada.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2014, 08:44:43 »
To add to Hatchet Man's post; you will be required to bring in your Citizenship card if you are born outside of Canada.  It is a point that is often overlooked to tell people not born in Canada, and does produce some delays in processing, not only in the Recruiting process, but at later dates as well.

Your Birth Certificate is used to verify when and where you were born, so it is still an important document, necessary in the processing.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline AmmoTech90

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Catching Bullets
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2014, 10:17:40 »
I was born a Canadian citizen abroad but do not have a birth certificate of any sort.  I get by fine with my certificate of birth abroad and later my citizenship card (after the cert of birth abroad was lost) whenever a birth certificate is needed.  Bring your untranslated birth certificate if you have it along with your citizenship/certificate of birth abroad.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

The fragrance of Afghanistan
Rewards a long day's toil
A Passage to Bangkok- Rush

Offline Schindler's Lift

• Rate Post
  • http://goo.gl/1E5Ez0
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2014, 10:34:19 »
My neice actually has NO birth certificate and she had no issue.  She was born in Nepal and was adopted by my sister and her husband.  She has a letter stating her date of birth, or at least the date she has always used as her DOB, and the rest of her immigration docs, Nepalese passport and Canadian citizenship papers.  She just used all of those and her recruitment as a supply tech went just fine almost 3 years ago.  The origional doc is important the the info is also confirmed via the other papers you have as part of your official processes.

Offline Cardiomegaly1

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2014, 12:15:58 »
Thanks for all the responses! Puts me at ease.

So the whole no family name at birth shouldn't be an issue either, then?

Offline Hatchet Man

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2014, 12:18:14 »
Thanks for all the responses! Puts me at ease.

So the whole no family name at birth shouldn't be an issue either, then?

Use whatever is on your Citizenship Card, as that is basis for your legal name in Canada.

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2014, 15:26:44 »
If you're really concerned about having no "legal" last name, most provinces have a name change regulation that should allow you to call yourself what ever you want (within reason).
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline Cardiomegaly1

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2014, 15:33:16 »
If you're really concerned about having no "legal" last name, most provinces have a name change regulation that should allow you to call yourself what ever you want (within reason).

I'll just end up calling my file manager tomorrow and clarifying everything I think. I assume the last name I have now is my legal last name. I've also managed to get through life up until this point (going through school, jobs, med school, etc...) with that same last name and that same birth certificate. I just had no idea until two days ago that I was born without a last name. It just kind of shocked me.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2014, 15:42:08 »
If you can, pick a really great last name like awesome or slaughter.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Cardiomegaly1

• Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2014, 16:02:07 »
Haha. I have a legal last name! I just wasn't born with one. I got assigned one when I came here as a baby (or rather, my family got to pick one).

Offline Cardiomegaly1

• Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2014, 16:08:57 »
In case anyone was interested in the outcome, or if anyone has a similar situation, I talked to my file manager today. She said that all I have to do is type out a declaration that states why my legal name in Canada is different from the name on my birth certificate (ie that there is no such thing as a surname in my country of origin, and that we were told to choose a last name by immigration officials at the airport in 89'). She also advised me to just bring extra legal identification (passport and citizenship certificate).

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Offline NFontario20

• Rate Post
Birth certificate - citizenship
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2016, 16:47:54 »
Hey, I have a question about the application procedure for Background check.
I have been in Canada for 10 years, I am getting my Citizenship hopefully in a few months now.
I read on forces.ca in the section reason for delays, missing documents- Birth certificate, Transcripts, etc.

I don't have an Birth certificate from my country as we came to Canada as refugees claimants,
we don't have passport or citizenship paper from this country.
Once I get my Canadian Citizenship, will my citizenship certificate be good for this?
any help much appreciated.  :cdn:

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
Re: Birth certificate - citizenship
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2016, 16:58:30 »
Hey, I have a question about the application procedure for Background check.
I have been in Canada for 10 years, I am getting my Citizenship hopefully in a few months now.
I read on forces.ca in the section reason for delays, missing documents- Birth certificate, Transcripts, etc.

I don't have an Birth certificate from my country as we came to Canada as refugees claimants,
we don't have passport or citizenship paper from this country.
Once I get my Canadian Citizenship, will my citizenship certificate be good for this?
any help much appreciated.  :cdn:

Welcome to army.ca

This is the correct forum to ask a CAF Recruiter questions after you have read this thread:  READ FIRST

It is also the weekend, so do not expect a Recruiter to have given up their weekend as well.

Now!  As you have found this "Unofficial site, not associated with DND." site; perhaps you could use your GOOGLEFU a little and search for the threads that cover every detail of the questions you just asked here, which have all the answers, repeated several times for those who did not listen/search/understand what was posted.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline NFontario20

• Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2016, 22:55:33 »
Thank you,

and yes I did use google for this, I found that when u arrive for bmq or RMC you have to bring documents
in one of those says:

2. ALOY candidates will require the following:

Birth Certificate. Please bring it and give it to your training staff on the first training day. Please bring your Certificate of Canadian Citizenship or Certificate of Naturalization if you were born outside Canada;

I just hope this doesn't delay or make me inadmissable for the military.
I have been very motivated to join, I have my citizenship process almost done and oath ceremony just around the corner.
than finally will be a Canadian, and will apply right away for military.

Offline Warrant Officer Robert

• Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2016, 11:11:13 »
In the absence of a non-Canadian Birth Certificate, your Recruiting Detachment may be able to accept your Citizenship documents.

Offline NFontario20

• Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2016, 19:15:43 »
I appreciate your reply and time
Thank you.

Offline Chowder2016

• Rate Post
So i just found out i need to bring my birth certificate with my to St Jean when i start BMQ this saturday and i lost it. I am currently in the process of getting a new one but using the fastest processing and shipping it's going to take ~5 business days, which is cutting it very close. What would happen if i don't get it in time?

Offline Fluff

• Rate Post
Contact your recruiting center. I know they took copies of everything when I brought in my documentation and you can check and see if you at least have a copy on file. They would also likely know the best course of action to take regarding not having an original.

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
You're not the first guy to have ever lost an important document and you won't be the last.  They will deal with it.  If you've ordered a new one that's good, just make sure it gets sent to you at BMQ as soon as possible.  Getting a copy from the Recruiting Centre is a good idea.

Don't worry.  No one is going to cancel your birth!
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2016, 15:31:03 »
Asked and answered in Ask a CAF Recruiter. Adding for Reference,

Application - Birth certificate 
http://milnet.ca/forums/index.php/topic,123392.msg1441939/topicseen.html#new

Q: Will my application not be accepted because of this missing document?

See also,

Birth certificate - citizenship 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=122009.0

birth certificate 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=82132.0

What happens if you don't show up at St Jean with your birth certificate?
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=122316.0

I sort of somehow lost my birth certificate
http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,113065.0/nowap.html

Weird and unique situation regarding my birth certificate
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=114875.0

Language on Birth Certificate 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=17749.0

etc...