Author Topic: Supplements on BMQ (merged)  (Read 73168 times)

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
Re: Supplements on BMQ (merged)
« Reply #175 on: March 16, 2013, 17:53:41 »
In an austere location you also can't have showers. Does that mean you should not shower on base?

Huh?

Apples and oranges.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #176 on: March 16, 2013, 18:01:01 »
You may also come down to a time when you have to take a litre of water out of your ruck to make way for that ammo. I would never suggest that you intentionally dehydrate yourself (in preparation) for that eventuality.

In an austere location you also can't have showers. Does that mean you should not shower on base?

:facepalm:

Ok.  Sure.  *Tuesday*.
Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Offline ArmyRick

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • What the????
« Reply #177 on: March 16, 2013, 18:10:58 »
I want to throw in my comments.

Some background, I used to do protein powder and creatine when I was early twenties, thank god I nearly went broke and was forced out of all that horse shat.

Two years ago, when I last had access to free weights, I pulled over 400 Lbs in dead lift (double overhand, not mixed grip), squat close to 400 Lbs for 5 reps (never tested 1RM) and shoulder pressed 185 for 3 reps at a bodyweight of 195 lbs. WHo gives a rats pess about bench press? Don't ask, I could care less. But I can do dips with over 100 lbs strapped to my waist.

This is after having recovered from a blown meniscus (thanks infantry), neck injuries (thanks wrestling and CQCI) and right shoulder blade that was torn (thanks Grizzly AVGP). This was at the age of 38.

To the original poster, you do not need to waste MONEY on protein powder supplements and all that other GARBAGE. Seriously, not needed and a complete waste of your money.

Austere work outs? Grab some sand bags and start chucking them around. Too easy? Carry two sand bags in each hand. Pull ups off your LAV/TLAV/RG, what ever. Push ups, any where. Find some huge *** rocks and carry them around. Muckle onto to the jerry cans, one per hand and hump them for a bit. Squat with rucksacks. Practice lifting biggest fat arse in your section off the ground in a dead casualty limp.

Get the point? You do not need to pump iron and eat all that junk.

Learn to do without food for a bit here and there (I fast once a week for 18-24 hours and it does the body mega-good).

Point made?
I am NOT a privileged white man by virtue of being male or white. I am privileged because I am alive and exercising my right to be who I am!

Offline cupper

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Nuke 'em 'til they glow, then wait until dark.
« Reply #178 on: March 16, 2013, 18:13:47 »

No. It just means you don't need to carry a bar of soap, so you now have room for the ammo you ditched for the extra water. :facepalm:
It's hard to win an argument against a smart person, it's damned near impossible against a stupid person.

There is no God, and life is just a myth.

"He who drinks, sleeps. He who sleeps, does not sin. He who does not sin, is holy. Therefore he who drinks, is holy."

Let's Go CAPS!

MikeL

« Reply #179 on: March 16, 2013, 18:36:49 »
Austere work outs? Grab some sand bags and start chucking them around. Too easy? Carry two sand bags in each hand. Pull ups off your LAV/TLAV/RG, what ever. Push ups, any where. Find some huge *** rocks and carry them around. Muckle onto to the jerry cans, one per hand and hump them for a bit. Squat with rucksacks. Practice lifting biggest fat arse in your section off the ground in a dead casualty limp.

Reminds me of the "gym" we made on tour,  a little creativity can go a long way

Offline ArmyRick

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • What the????
« Reply #180 on: March 16, 2013, 19:36:53 »
Necessity is the mother of invention! Thats an austere gym and I would much rather keep fit there than a commercial gym. Its better for my farm work!   
I am NOT a privileged white man by virtue of being male or white. I am privileged because I am alive and exercising my right to be who I am!

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #181 on: March 16, 2013, 20:34:26 »
So Mr Seggie, your point here is that when deployed you may not have enough room in your ruck for enough IMPs, so we should start starving ourselves now ?

Especially when the messes are notorious for this idea that two eggs is a sufficient breakfast for active individuals. I love the look on their face when a 135 lbs guy goes through the line three times to get an adequate number of eggs.

Did I say that? No I didn't.

IMPs are issued and if you go down becuase you decided to take supplements vice IMPs your section 2I/C will have some issues with you.

Your CO MAY order you to carry x number of rounds of 7.62 mm belt, 5.56 for the C9s etc.

Now what comes first. The Svc Sp deals with it in these priorities:

Ammo
Water
Rations

In other words your supplements are below rations in order of priority.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline Jammer

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #182 on: March 17, 2013, 09:36:57 »
We managed to get some proper weights at SPGG Skeletor...:)
What could possibly go wrong?

Offline Scott

- apparently an antagonist.

• Likes fire and loud noises.
  • Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #183 on: March 17, 2013, 09:42:57 »
Huh?

Apples and oranges.

More like apples and bowling balls.

Be nice for no reason.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #184 on: March 17, 2013, 11:24:47 »
But with the new rucksack there is LOTS of room for ammo AND supplements  ;D

There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Jammer

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #185 on: March 17, 2013, 15:50:12 »
So you patrol with it? If so...you're doing it wrong.
What could possibly go wrong?

Offline UnwiseCritic

• Rate Post
« Reply #186 on: March 17, 2013, 19:10:16 »
You won't do anything at BMQ that would require you to have any supplements. Except maybe a multi-vitamin and a lot of hand soap. Too many diseases floating around there.
"He who hates correction is stupid!"

Offline Shamrock

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #187 on: March 18, 2013, 00:16:49 »
Smoking, however...

:irish jig:

MikeL

« Reply #188 on: April 08, 2013, 09:35:14 »
We managed to get some proper weights at SPGG Skeletor...:)

You guys had it too good :D  I heard you also got a few more extras out there as well

Offline bookibaloush

• Rate Post
« Reply #189 on: July 04, 2016, 13:09:48 »
Hello! I was wondering if protein powder is regarded as a drug for the drug test? I do not consume any alchool or any drug whatsoever. Thanks you

Ps: I heard that it was considered a drug for the drug test and i needed to be sure.

Offline bookibaloush

• Rate Post
« Reply #190 on: July 04, 2016, 13:31:29 »
Hello! I'm currently consuming a protein shake after my gym workout and i've heard that protein shakes/powder can be considered drugs for the drug test. Is that true? i do not consume any drug or alchool otherwise.

Online milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #191 on: July 04, 2016, 13:51:30 »
Good day, bookibaloush ...

Just in case you hadn't read this bit, posting the same question in more than one place is considered spamming.

Search, then if there's no answer, post once, and patience ...

Staff
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #192 on: July 04, 2016, 15:02:31 »
If protein showed up in drug tests, then everybody would test positive, wouldn't they?

Offline BobSlob

• Rate Post
« Reply #193 on: July 04, 2016, 15:15:16 »
If protein showed up in drug tests, then everybody would test positive, wouldn't they?

Only if they tested these guns *kisses arms*

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #194 on: July 04, 2016, 16:04:03 »
Hello! I was wondering if protein powder is regarded as a drug for the drug test? I do not consume any alchool or any drug whatsoever. Thanks you
Ps: I heard that it was considered a drug for the drug test and i needed to be sure.

What drug test are you referring to, the NPD Questionnaire?
Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me with an email address!  I don't bite........

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #195 on: July 04, 2016, 17:11:56 »
What drug test are you referring to, the NPD Questionnaire?

The one that looks for the extras in his protein shake ;D...and Loachman, if you test positive for protein in your urine, you may have something a little more to worry about than a drug test ;).

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline Poacher434

• Rate Post
« Reply #196 on: August 08, 2016, 09:01:56 »
To cut it short and state the answer. Protein powder will not test positive on a drug test.