Author Topic: Autobiography Thread (merged)  (Read 258822 times)

Offline _

• Rate Post
Re: Writing an autobiography for BMQ?
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2005, 21:25:16 »
Oh yes, the staff do. I'm a Course O for a BMQ course that just started, and let me tell you reading them can be quite entertaining. "Joining or starting my own Canadian spy agency", "join JTF2"(lots of this), "kill people", or "I like to torture small animals" are just some of the more memorable ones over the years ;D.

On a serious note, the bios to provide us with insight on troops, their backgrounds, interests, and how they think. You'd be surprised how much you can learn about recruits from them.

I did my first weekend of BMQ last week, and we all wrote our autobiographies, but everyone in our section (except for 1 person) had to rewrite them. Is it because it's going to be some kind of official type document thing. .. .... or just cause?
Thanks (ASHofCownsU)

4SYTH

Offline TR

• Rate Post
  • Crewman/Recruiter
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2005, 09:23:11 »
I did my first weekend of BMQ last week, and we all wrote our autobiographies, but everyone in our section (except for 1 person) had to rewrite them. Is it because it's going to be some kind of official type document thing. .. .... or just cause?
Thanks (ASHofCownsU)

4SYTH

It's becuase either the staff felt that they were not writen neat enough or they they felt they did not get enough details. The autobio is for them to get an insight into your life so far and to allow them to sense any potential problems that may arrise form you life. Ie pregnant girl friend. drug problems and so on  so forth

Offline Observer23

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2005, 09:49:17 »
The autobiography is an exercise in literacy.  Your reading skills are tested by how closely you can follow the instructions in a written form.  Sometimes a candidate may be required to rewrite their autobiography because they failed to actually read the instruction (not because they can't read).  It is hand written to demonstrate penmanship and spelling (No spell checker).  It also helps prove that the member actually wrote it him/herself.  I've actually read one that was copied for another candidate.  The two candidates were brought forward and appropriately disciplined.  It was almost the same word for word however the guy couldn't keep his gender straight on paper.  Why an autobiography?  It is the easiest assignment that everyone can actually write to a limited standard.  â Å“What I did for summer vacation, â Å“ would offer to great of a difference of interpretation between members and staff.  Pte Hemmingway, E and Pte Simpson, B's opinion of what this assignment entails would be to broad to apply the same standard.
The three pillars are Initiative, Ingenuity and Integrity

Military mind

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2005, 11:46:50 »
you keep an electronic copy somewhere. That way if you take another cours (instructors usually ask an autobiography on every courses), all you will have to do is simply update your exisiting one.

thats the best advice regarding autobiography: KEEP A COPY OF IT !!! so you dont have to start from scratch on every course...   :o

Offline Jungle

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2005, 12:55:15 »
All career courses, up to and including DP4 (MWO course) require an autobiography. Get used to it...
Keep an electronic copy and update it before every course.
"I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."
- John G. Diefenbaker. July 1, 1960. From the Canadian Bill of Rights.

Offline 48Highlander

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Applied Ballistics
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2005, 00:35:20 »
thats the best advice regarding autobiography: KEEP A COPY OF IT !!! so you dont have to start from scratch on every course...     :o

Sorry, but (if I remember correctly) the handouts that come with the course package specificaly state that the autobiography will be done in blue pen.  In other words, printouts or photocopies will be returned to you with instructions to write a new one.  Ofcourse, some staff may decide to make an exception, just don't count on it.

Offline Mischiefz

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2005, 04:55:17 »
I think they meant keep an electronic copy so that when your required to write one, you have it there to copy ( handwrite out....) without having remember everything all over. Good time saver imo

Offline TCBF

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2005, 01:04:26 »
When I was a Platoon Commander in St. Jean, I would ask nicely if any one had wisely decided to save me valuable time by pre-writing their biography.  Some would smile and say "Yes, Warrant!"  I would then collect them and make them all do it again by hand.  Why?

1.  Pressure - you learn a lot about someone when they write under pressure.

2. No time to edit.  Amazing.  I told another instructor that if we could take a 60 man platoons  of autobiographies and show the people of Canada what some of their youth went through - the reality of life - we would have a bestseller.  You know the first half hour of "Full Metal Jacket"? That is NOTHING compared to what some kids have gone through in their home lives before joining the Army. 

3. Penmanship, Grammer, general Literacy.  Indicators of future coping problems due to FAS/ADD/ADHD/sociopathic issues, etc.  The recruits of today are tomorrows RSMs.  We are already a semi-literate Army, we can't afford to get worse. At some point, It's just bad economics to throw good money after bad.  We have to cut our losses.  Sorry.

4. I would stay that night until ALL the bios were written, then I would take them home and read them.  I would re-read about a fifth, then re-reread about one or two more.  I would get to sleep about three or four, but, it had to be done. 

Tom
"Disarming the Canadian public is part of the new humanitarian social agenda."   - Foreign Affairs Minister Lloyd Axeworthy at a Gun Control conference in Oslo, Norway in 1998.

"I didn’t feel that it was an act of violence; you know, I felt that it was an act of liberation, that’s how I felt you know." - Ann Hansen, Canadian 'Urban Guerrilla'(one of the "Squamish Five")

Offline Glorified Ape

• Rate Post
  • Managing expectations is the key to success.
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2005, 19:32:29 »
Anyone else need to write one and give it once you are at St-Jean?

Can I write it on a piece of paper or does it have to be printed from a computer?

Yeah, I wrote mine and they made me re-write it in hand a few days after I got there. It's a make-work project - don't take it too seriously.
Bureaucracy is hell.

Offline TCBF

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2005, 16:10:51 »
"don't take it too seriously."

You might not have to, but the staff sure will!   ;D

Tom
"Disarming the Canadian public is part of the new humanitarian social agenda."   - Foreign Affairs Minister Lloyd Axeworthy at a Gun Control conference in Oslo, Norway in 1998.

"I didn’t feel that it was an act of violence; you know, I felt that it was an act of liberation, that’s how I felt you know." - Ann Hansen, Canadian 'Urban Guerrilla'(one of the "Squamish Five")

Offline Glorified Ape

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2005, 16:36:51 »
"don't take it too seriously."

You might not have to, but the staff sure will!     ;D

Tom

I meant not to stress over it too much. We all arrived with our auto-biographies ready and they had us re-write them to a different format (I believe just to mess with us).
Bureaucracy is hell.

Online PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2005, 18:11:41 »
I meant not to stress over it too much. We all arrived with our auto-biographies ready and they had us re-write them to a different format (I believe just to mess with us).

Or to teach you how to follow instructions.  Someday you will go from a 23U to a 23A, and enforcing those kinds of demands will be your job.  Might want to start practicing now, as opposed to

don't take it too seriously.

Dave
"The higher the rank, the more necessary it is that boldness should be accompanied by a reflective mind....for with increase in rank it becomes always a matter less of self-sacrifice and more a matter of the preservation of others, and the good of the whole."

Karl von Clausewitz

Offline TCBF

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2005, 20:46:24 »
And, as I stated above, you learn a lot about someone who has to - under pressure - write a literate (+-) answer to a simple question, sans the aide of spellcheck, the guy beside you, Ma, etc.

Tom

Offline Glorified Ape

• Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2005, 12:26:32 »
Or to teach you how to follow instructions.  Someday you will go from a 23U to a 23A, and enforcing those kinds of demands will be your job.  Might want to start practicing now, as opposed to

It's quite possible they did do it for that reason. I'm just telling the guy not to stress the small stuff too much - it distracts you from concentrating on the more important things. Don't get me wrong, details are important and all, I just found that myself and alot of other people focused so much on relatively minor issues that we missed the big picture sometimes.

I'm not telling him not to take it seriously, just not to worry about it too much. I remember stressing about things in IAP that I realized later were really nothing to worry about. Of course they needed to be done, but their importance wasn't such that they should have been stressed about nearly to the degree that I did.

And, as I stated above, you learn a lot about someone who has to - under pressure - write a literate (+-) answer to a simple question, sans the aide of spellcheck, the guy beside you, Ma, etc.

Tom

We already had them written (typed), we just had to condense them and copy them into a handwritten format. Maybe it was for the reason you suggested, maybe it was because the staff wanted a shorter version given the number of bios they had to read, maybe it was to keep us occupied in our off time since we hadn't been issued kit and weren't being inspected yet.

Bureaucracy is hell.

Offline TCBF

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2005, 18:33:20 »
We actually read them and learned a lot, but I collected the typed ones FIRST.  With nothing to go by, a lot of back home truth came out.

Tom

Offline Standards

• Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2005, 19:11:12 »
Having read a few zillion biographies (as part of reviewing student and staff files), here's a couple of points from my perspective.

For junior courses (i.e. BMQ, SQ and DP 1 trades training) it is always hand written (in my experience).  A typed printout is generally acceptable for higher level courses, but in the end it depends on what the course joining instruction state and on the course staff.

If it's not legible, you will end up writing it again, so take the time to make the first one right.  Funnily enough I have never had difficulty reading a female student's biography but some of the male one's almost made me go blind.

Your biography is inserted into your student file and they are held for a minimum of five years before being archived.

Doug

Offline Sivad

• Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2005, 12:20:22 »
OK the good thing is this is easier than pushups but a couple of things worry me, 1. my handwriting is horrendous, i must print which isn't much better really.  Is printing accepted.  2. My spelling and grammer has fallen off a cliff since school ended ooh about 10 years ago. Thanks to spell check.  I believe computers make you dumber.

Offline 48Highlander

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Applied Ballistics
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2005, 16:20:11 »
OK the good thing is this is easier than pushups but a couple of things worry me, 1. my handwriting is horrendous, i must print which isn't much better really.   Is printing accepted.   2. My spelling and grammer has fallen off a cliff since school ended ooh about 10 years ago. Thanks to spell check.   I believe computers make you dumber.

Uh, "hand written" as in "created by hand", it doesn't matter if it's written or printed though, just can't be typed.  I prefer printed script over written script since most people have atrocious hand-writing.  If it's so messy as to be illegible, you'll end up having to re-write it.

c4th

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2005, 15:39:51 »
Is printing accepted.  

Yes it is and it is preferred if not required.  As a reader of many autobiographies and other hand written military correspondence I usually demand PRINTED, ALL CAPS, BLOCK LETTERS.

The Concise Oxford Canadian English dictionary is a good alternative to spell check.  Though, so is typing out your bio, editing it and copying it by hand.

Save a copy, you will probably need one on every career course between now and NATO War College.

Offline Dilea_Gu_Bas

• Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2005, 13:41:46 »
One of the major points that people usually get picked up for is not taking it seriously and making their autobiography into a big joke. Don't write stuff about how you want big guns to pick up chicks... that's just ignant...

Write the truth, and dont be a suck up

;)

Offline Sigs Guy

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2005, 15:43:03 »
In my joining instructions the booklet says 500 word document and it can either be handwritten or word processed...
"I submit to you that if a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live. "
"Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others?' "

Martin Luther King Jr

Offline 48Highlander

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Applied Ballistics
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2005, 21:54:13 »
Was that supposed to be a question?

Offline Sigs Guy

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2005, 22:31:04 »
No, I'm just saying that my instructions are different then the ones that have been posted on this thread.
"I submit to you that if a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live. "
"Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others?' "

Martin Luther King Jr

Offline mstorey

• Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2005, 14:49:46 »
No matter what you have heard I can tell you with certainty that your Auto biography must be hand written, neat and at least 300-400 words. You will be given a format to follow with your welcome package on arrival here at CFLRS.

Offline mstorey

• Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2005, 16:17:19 »
I am not saying that what has been posted before is wrong, because each school has it's own format and weather you do your BMQ in CFLRS or Borden things my be different. however my last post on this subject is a direct quote from the CFLRS welcome package.