Author Topic: Organ Donation  (Read 5044 times)

Offline I, Citizen

• Rate Post
Organ Donation
« on: November 06, 2004, 09:29:49 »
Problems, concerns, queries?
If I had something important to say, rest assured, it would be here.

Offline J-Swift

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
Re: Army Organ Donor system
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2004, 10:49:42 »
depending on if they signed some sort of papers saying we could take their organs.
Ignorance is venemous, and it murders the soul, spreading like a virus running rampant, but out of control

Offline Da_man

• Rate Post
  • Infantry
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2004, 12:20:46 »
Because our number of KIAs every year is alarming  ::)
YOU! No, you. Not You! YOU!

Offline I, Citizen

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2004, 12:32:38 »
Because our number of KIAs every year is alarming   ::)
lol, yeah, but you know what I mean... I  think we lose one guy a year about ~~~
If I had something important to say, rest assured, it would be here.

Offline Fishbone Jones

Staying right here.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2004, 01:31:11 »
I think you'll find that it would be just like the one on your driver's licence. Even though you sign it, the decision is still up to the next of kin. In most cases it's just a formality, but they do have the last say.
Diversity includes adverse opinions, or it is not diversity.
Inclusive includes adverse opinions, or is not inclusive.

Offline The Army Guy

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 22:23:57 »
If the deceased soldier has authorized the use of their organs for other soldiers then I have no problem with it whatsoever.  In fact I think it's an excellent idea.  Organ donation cards are clumsy though.  How about an addition to the dog tags??

Cheers!! :cdn:

The Army Guy :warstory:

Get on the bus get off the bus!!   Hurry up and wait!!   It's the way of the Canadian Military!!

Gotta love it.

Offline MrRGoyer

• Rate Post
  • MrRGoyer
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2004, 10:47:47 »
I chose to donate my organs cause I won't need them when I'm dead
We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people.
- Jul 2005
- Gen Hillier, Chief of the Defence Staff

Offline MasterInstructor

• Rate Post
Organ Donation
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 21:02:26 »
I am not sure if this is the right section, feel free to move it :)

I want to donate my organs but in British Columbia organ donor registry is associated with your provincial health care  card number. When I joined, I canceled my provincial medical and have no such number. I was wondering if anybody else had the same problem and how did it get resolved?

Thanks

Offline SGT-RMSCLK

• Rate Post
  • Retired
Re: Organ Donation
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 21:08:46 »
Organ donation Card.  Google is your friend.   You could put it in your Will also.

Offline Scott

- apparently an antagonist.

• Likes fire and loud noises.
  • Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 06:58:27 »
Another poster contacted me to add that you could contact the BC Transplant Society for guidance.
Be nice for no reason.

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Organ Donation
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 11:08:57 »
In light of the tragedy in Humboldt SK, I decided to get off my butt and register to become an organ donor in the event that I have anything left to offer when I pass. So being in ON I went to the Ontario website and of course since I don't have a provincial health card I could register online. So I wrote an email to see if I could do it personally.

Here is their reply:

Thank you for your e-mail.

In order to formally register in Ontario, you must have an Ontario health card. This is because the registration system is tied to Ontario health card database, and so when someone passes away we can look up using this database to see if a person is register.

Although this is a very helpful tool, it is not the only way a person can go on to be a donor. Regardless if a person is formally, the families of all potential donors will be approached by a Trillium Gift of Life Network nurse coordinator.

In your case, and in other cases where a person does not have an Ontario health card but resides in the province, my recommendation would be to talk with your family and let them know about your wishes. Explain why their support is important to you.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,
 XX

Trillium Gift of Life Network

A search on the DND INTRANET produces a DAOD on organ donations and transplants for living people but nothing regarding registering for donation after death. Do any of the medical folks here have any knowledge of a policy?

cheers!

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 11:53:46 »
A search on the DND INTRANET produces a DAOD on organ donations and transplants for living people but nothing regarding registering for donation after death. Do any of the medical folks here have any knowledge of a policy?

After someone is legally dead, I believe organ donation would be a provincial policy.

This may, or may not, help,

Please visit BeADonor.ca or call The Trillium Gift of Life Network at toll-free 1-800-263-2833 (Canada).
https://beadonor.ca/

END QUOTE
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 12:05:22 by mariomike »

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 12:06:35 »
Those were the folks I contacted.
I was hoping there was a CAF policy that would cross provincial lines. Like many things in this country, there are barriers. ???

Offline kratz

Fall: Sweater Weather.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 12:20:09 »
The pan-Canadian solution would be following Trillium's advice.

Go to a lawyer and sign a limited Power of Attorney - Medical.

Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 12:30:50 »
Interesting discussion.

Some services will even send a "harvest team" with a LUCAS Chest Compression System in an Organ Preservation Unit ( OPU )  directly to your home.

After paramedics on-scene terminate the resuscitation effort.

"Thank God, the ambulance is here.  But what's that other truck behind it...?"

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 12:45:11 by mariomike »

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 13:38:28 »
Interesting discussion.

Some services will even send a "harvest team" with a LUCAS Chest Compression System in an Organ Preservation Unit ( OPU )  directly to your home.

After paramedics on-scene terminate the resuscitation effort.

"Thank God, the ambulance is here.  But what's that other truck behind it...?"

Ha ha. I can't remember the name of the dark comedy where organ harvesting takes precedence over you continuing living.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2018, 14:59:54 »
Ha ha. I can't remember the name of the dark comedy where organ harvesting takes precedence over you continuing living.

Thanks for taking my post in the spirit it was intended. Dark sense of humour, I guess.  :) Although OPU's are real, and no joke.

Organ donation is a noble thing.

Offline Pre-flight

• Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 15:00:32 »
In light of the tragedy in Humboldt SK, I decided to get off my butt and register to become an organ donor in the event that I have anything left to offer when I pass. So being in ON I went to the Ontario website and of course since I don't have a provincial health card I could register online. So I wrote an email to see if I could do it personally.

Here is their reply:

Thank you for your e-mail.

In order to formally register in Ontario, you must have an Ontario health card. This is because the registration system is tied to Ontario health card database, and so when someone passes away we can look up using this database to see if a person is register.

Although this is a very helpful tool, it is not the only way a person can go on to be a donor. Regardless if a person is formally, the families of all potential donors will be approached by a Trillium Gift of Life Network nurse coordinator.

In your case, and in other cases where a person does not have an Ontario health card but resides in the province, my recommendation would be to talk with your family and let them know about your wishes. Explain why their support is important to you.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,
 XX

Trillium Gift of Life Network

cheers!

As far as I understand, you can still get a healthcard as a CF member, I looked and didn't see anything that says you can't get the card. Of course you aren't supposed to use the card for covered health insurance through OHIP since that's supposed to be covered by CAF. But from an administrative standpoint, unless anyone can correct me, you should be allowed to get the card and register your organ donation preference.

jollyjacktar

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 15:11:02 »
No, you can't.

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2018, 17:10:59 »
So this CBC article came out a few days ago, and specifically addressed organ donation of CAF members: http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/organ-donor-registry-canada-humboldt-broncos-tragedy-1.4618764

Members of the military, who carry a special kind of health card not associated with their province of residence, must fill out an end-of-life directive to give to their superior officer.

The directive is linked here: http://www.cantransplant.ca/home/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/end-of-life-wishes.pdf

Now, I personally do not agree with the wording in the directive, but is there some scope in the CAF to have a letter similar to this placed in their pers file? Granted, I think it would be difficult for those killed in combat many thousands of KMs from home to actually be able to donate vital organs, but at least there would be something there for an unfortunate non-combat death at home.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2018, 17:30:59 »
but at least there would be something there for an unfortunate non-combat death at home.

ie: In a hospital.

Outside of a hospital,

"normally, patients who die outside hospitals cannot be donors because too much time passes after the heart stops beating, the organs are unusable."
https://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/01/nyregion/01organ.html

CAF members who wish to donate an organ ( kidney ) while still living, is discussed here,

Loss of a kidney 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=40478.0
OP: "I recall hearing something about if you only have one kidney you cannot remain in the army."

From 2006,

Here are a couple of links.  The first is the policy and the second is the annex B to the first. 

Policy Statement

CF members have the same freedom to donate organs as other Canadians. Although a member of the CF will not normally be prohibited from donating an organ or bone marrow, the absence of such a prohibition should not be construed as constituting official approval. Upon receipt of a request from a living member of the CF to donate an organ or bone marrow the potential donor will be counselled/briefed by both a Medical Officer and a Legal Officer. Following an organ or bone marrow donation an appropriate period of sick leave will be authorized for the recovery period.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/instructions/engraph/1004_admhrmil_e.asp#1
http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/instructions/docs/pdf/1004_admhrmil_AnnexB_e.pdf

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 17:44:22 by mariomike »

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2018, 18:06:24 »

Monty Python's The Meaning of Life.

Offline dapaterson

- a scruffy-looking nerf herder.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2018, 18:13:24 »
Logan's Run.

Soylent Green.

"I didn't eat the salmon mousse"
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html