Author Topic: 17 steps of battle procedure  (Read 105598 times)

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME STAFF
Re: 17 steps of battle procedure
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2009, 10:51:11 »
Obviously if your task is to get coffee then.....yeah just go get coffee.

But do you get it from Tim Hortons, Second Cup, some truck stop, McDonalds or, Starbucks

;D
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline Tango2Bravo

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • All your base are belong to us.
Re: 17 steps of battle procedure
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2009, 17:32:24 »
I do not expect my Troop Leaders/Platoon Commanders to come to me for a Decision Brief - I am not selecting a COA for them to conduct their tasks from the menu of COAs they have prepared. I give them tasks, they decide how to do them. I might ask for backbriefs where they lay their plan out, but those are not Decision Briefs. A backbrief can be useful when the tasks are complex and interlock. It is also useful time to deconflict the various Troop/Platoon plans. I might have a Troop Leader adjust something during/after a backbrief, but that is not selecting a COA.

Decision Briefs are for commanders who have staffs. I think that we (the Army we) have started to blur the Operational Planning Process used by staffs with the battle procedure executed by low-level tactical commanders who do not have staffs. I would argue that MCpls to Majors execute old-school battle procedure where a lonely commander looks at the map and comes up with a plan that his people execute. They do their own estimate, although they might solicit opinions/advice. A CO of a BG, I would argue, is the first guy who really uses OPP (since he has a staff) and even then he might not use it all the time.

Please note that this is me soapboxing - I do not work at a School teaching planning/battle procedure nor at Doctrine writing it. I just use the stuff.
Well-trained, older Panzer crews are the decisive factor for success...It is preferable to start off with fewer Panzers than to set out with young crews who lack combat experience.

- Verbal report of Gen Balck 1943