Author Topic: AESOp ( MOC 081)  (Read 484849 times)

Offline Messerschmitt

• Rate Post
Re: AESOp ( MOC 081)
« Reply #950 on: May 02, 2017, 13:45:13 »
Some of it, a part at least in LRP, is the folks who wanted to 'dry' and were made to go 'wet', or vice versa.  Personally, I think a lot of the current issues with Jnr NCO/NCMs leaving or wanting to leave will be solved with the switch back to most intake going back to VOTs, who have some perspective of life in the CAF as a NCM outside the aircrew world.  I know most of the CTs that came to our Sqn are either out, or looking at getting out.  DEs bring their pro's, but also con's.  I think the trade is making the correct move by concentrating on VOTs again in the next few years.

Agreed on the Officer part, some of our guys are not signing their TOS offers, mostly because they want that UTPNCM thing and its not being supported the way they think it should be by the CofC.

Hi, can you explain some of the acronyms.
What do you mean by "dry" vs "wet"? Auroras flying over land vs over water?
VOT's? Voluntary occupational transfer?
CT's? Component transfer? Then what's the difference between CT and VOT?
DE? Direct entry?
UTPNCM? Is that an NCM entry plan?

Offline Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #951 on: May 02, 2017, 14:04:35 »
Wet – Acoustic Sensor Operator.  Responsible for analyzing information obtained from sonobuoys (wet sensors).   Also trained in EO/IR operation and Ordnance duties.  (Aurora)
Dry – Non-Acoustic Sensor Operators. Responsible for operation of Radar, ESM, MAD, EO/IR and Ordnance duties (dry sensors).  (Aurora)

MH AES Ops will be responsible for wet and dry sensor operation.

VOT?  Yes.

DE?  Yes.

UTPNCM.  Once in you can apply for an officer trade & university program (very short answer). 

Offline Medic88

• Rate Post
« Reply #952 on: May 02, 2017, 14:20:42 »
Hi, can you explain some of the acronyms.
What do you mean by "dry" vs "wet"? Auroras flying over land vs over water?
VOT's? Voluntary occupational transfer?
CT's? Component transfer? Then what's the difference between CT and VOT?
DE? Direct entry?
UTPNCM? Is that an NCM entry plan?
Please don't take the feedback that i'm about to give you too negatively. The  AESOP's that have contributed to this thread throughout the years have provided it's readers with a wealth of information about the trade. Please take the time to review the past 38 pages for answers to your questions in the future. These are regularily used acronyms that have been discussed and outlined thoroughly here and in the military administration page. I'm not sure what your ambitions are or why you're asking but I am under the very clear impression that this is not a trade that is spoon fed or made up of amateur's. Take the time to do your research as it will demonstrate competence and resourcefulness. I recommend you work on both if you want to have are successful interview for this and any other trade you're interested in. That said, It seems that Dolphin_Hunter was in a good mood today.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #953 on: May 03, 2017, 22:00:04 »
Please don't take the feedback that i'm about to give you too negatively. The  AESOP's that have contributed to this thread throughout the years have provided it's readers with a wealth of information  Dolphin_Hunter was in a good mood today.

:rofl:  He must have been able to skip out on the townhall this morning then!!
Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Offline Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #954 on: May 04, 2017, 05:42:26 »
:rofl:  He must have been able to skip out on the townhall this morning then!!

Nope.  I lost the entire day. 

I was in a good mood for approx 20 minutes the other day, which was when that post was made.

However, the pension office has indeed confirmed that I can retire with an immediate annuity.   So my overall mental health has slid back into the yellow.  Which is good news! 

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #955 on: May 04, 2017, 15:57:16 »
just remember...the future...is *bright!

* I keep saying that is the train approaching, fast, but...everyone has their own interpretation.   ;D

Offline Pagan

• Rate Post
« Reply #956 on: May 04, 2017, 16:03:04 »
Never been a better time?

Offline xoulliam

• Rate Post
« Reply #957 on: May 04, 2017, 16:27:40 »
You guys are inspiring me confidence for the trade  ;D Just kidding, can't wait to be at 402!

Offline Pagan

• Rate Post
« Reply #958 on: May 04, 2017, 16:46:38 »
Er...ummm

Never been a better time!

(edited for inspiration)

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #959 on: May 04, 2017, 18:15:00 »
Don't get us wrong.  Its truly a good trade;  there are some challenges that people getting in the trade likely won't have to face once they are in the positions we (EEV, DH and me) are in at this time; instructors and line sqn Snr NCO/WO challenges.  I've seen enough things to reasonably believe those issues will be resolved significantly in the next 2-3 years.  One of those big changes, IMO, is increasing the VOT intake to *more than half*.

The Direct Entry piece was a good idea at the time, and needed.   The one thing they don't bring that an OT does is experience.  Jnr NCO experience, a DE has zero chance of already having their PLQ and leadership experience.  Once they get on Sqn, upgrade to Advanced Category...well they kind of peak there for a while.  Not ideal candidates for Lead AES Op, without PLQ they can't be instructors.  Its a bottleneck.   So, sure they can be A Cats on a crew, but have no mentoring or training ability or experience and can't progress themselves or others without a lot of supervision by the Lead. 

It was recognized the trade needed to intake more VOTs to capitalize on their experience and Jnr NCO abilities and the intake was adjusted.  We should see the benefit of this in 2-3 years.

The op tempo has been EXTREMELY high for both LRP and MH the past few years;  LRP because of OP IMPACT and MH because of the Cyclone coming into service.  Those effects will also start to fade away in the next 1-2 years or so. 

Those things all have a trickle down effect across the trade.  402 needs to produce more baby AES Ops, 404 and 406 need to train them once they are semi-useful into LRP/MH flyers, and those of us at the line sqn's have to do all our lines of tasking with 'what we have'.  402 and 404 need to draw experienced folks from the line sqn's to conduct their training, the line sqn needs experienced operators to be able to fly, and the balancing/juggling act can become somewhat complicated, with everyone getting some but not all of what they need or want.

But, for those entering the trade now, by the time you leave your 1st tour, that should all be water under the bridge and things should be more "ops normal" for everyone day to day.   :2c:

Offline xoulliam

• Rate Post
« Reply #960 on: May 04, 2017, 20:09:46 »
I'm not worried, I had tons of fun on the different aircrew courses I did. I'm really looking forward to getting into the trade.

Offline Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #961 on: May 05, 2017, 05:47:41 »
I'm not worried, I had tons of fun on the different aircrew courses I did. I'm really looking forward to getting into the trade.

And I'm looking forward to seeing you at 404.

Offline xoulliam

• Rate Post
« Reply #962 on: May 05, 2017, 17:09:16 »
And I'm looking forward to seeing you at 404.

[:D cant wait! But what happens if get sent to 406 :o

Offline Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #963 on: May 05, 2017, 19:25:11 »
[:D cant wait! But what happens if get sent to 406 :o

Probably better to start off in MH anyway, that way you won't know what you are missing.

Offline xoulliam

• Rate Post
« Reply #964 on: May 05, 2017, 21:10:21 »
Probably better to start off in MH anyway, that way you won't know what you are missing.
In all honesty, if I had to choose right now I would'nt even know because both platform are really interesting from what I know of the different people I spoke with. I don't think I would mind any of the two.  :nod:

Offline Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #965 on: May 05, 2017, 21:24:47 »
In all honesty, if I had to choose right now I would'nt even know because both platform are really interesting from what I know of the different people I spoke with. I don't think I would mind any of the two.  :nod:

The Cyclone looks fun!  The airport stinks (I'm ex-Navy).   

I'd love to play with the sensors on that chopper.

Offline xoulliam

• Rate Post
« Reply #966 on: May 05, 2017, 21:49:33 »
The Cyclone looks fun!  The airport stinks (I'm ex-Navy).   

I'd love to play with the sensors on that chopper.

And who knows, maybe we'll get an aurora replacement too someday in the next 50 years

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #967 on: May 06, 2017, 01:53:39 »
And who knows, maybe we'll get an aurora replacement too someday in the next 50 years

:rofl:
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Messerschmitt

• Rate Post
« Reply #968 on: May 06, 2017, 02:39:20 »

It's easy. Do you want to be gone from home months or weeks?

You mean UAV replacement?

Offline xoulliam

• Rate Post
« Reply #969 on: May 06, 2017, 15:41:55 »
It's easy. Do you want to be gone from home months or weeks?

Good question, I don't mind being gone for months, and for the UAV, are they any that can carry torpedo? I was thinking Militarized C-series lol

Offline Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #970 on: May 06, 2017, 19:07:45 »

It'll be a while before we have UAVs capable of performing ASW tasks.  Lots of ideas, nothing proven.

Offline Medic88

• Rate Post
« Reply #971 on: May 08, 2017, 14:24:25 »
I am pleased to announce that I have officially received my offer of employment from the Canadian Armed Forces. I will be enrolled as a DE AESOP recruit school bypass and posted to 17 Wing Winnipeg on 7 June 2017.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to his forum throughout the years. You have provided me with a clear vision of a career that provides fulfillment and purpose in ways few other professions do. I'm excited to get started.

Although, my wife wasn't to happy to hear that she was unwillingly enrolled into the pissed off wives and disappointed kids club. Jokes aside, my wife and I look forward to meeting all of the AESOP's on this forum throughout my career.

Best of luck to anyone applying, DE, OT or otherwise. My application took about a year. Please don't give up. Stay active and engaged. Ensure your success by doing everything you can to facilitate the process.

Please PM me anytime to chat.

Offline Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #972 on: May 08, 2017, 14:30:43 »
Congrats.

Best of luck at 402.

:bravo:

Offline xoulliam

• Rate Post
« Reply #973 on: May 08, 2017, 16:04:50 »
I am pleased to announce that I have officially received my offer of employment from the Canadian Armed Forces. I will be enrolled as a DE AESOP recruit school bypass and posted to 17 Wing Winnipeg on 7 June 2017.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to his forum throughout the years. You have provided me with a clear vision of a career that provides fulfillment and purpose in ways few other professions do. I'm excited to get started.

Although, my wife wasn't to happy to hear that she was unwillingly enrolled into the pissed off wives and disappointed kids club. Jokes aside, my wife and I look forward to meeting all of the AESOP's on this forum throughout my career.

Best of luck to anyone applying, DE, OT or otherwise. My application took about a year. Please don't give up. Stay active and engaged. Ensure your success by doing everything you can to facilitate the process.

Please PM me anytime to chat.

Congrats! Are you loaded on the next course in July?

Offline Medic88

• Rate Post
« Reply #974 on: May 08, 2017, 20:05:03 »
Congrats! Are you loaded on the next course in July?
Thanks! My offer didn't include a course loading message. I doubt I'm on the July serial though. With 2 courses a year and 12 students on each, I'll be lucky if I make the next one that usually runs in January.

Since BAQC is now an amalgamated ql3/5, I'm certain that I will need to do AMT, Basic Lands Op Survival Course/Basic SERE crse, and the Sea Survival crse before I'm even considered. I'm just itching to get my feet wet.

See you at 402? You already there?