Author Topic: Writing the Retirement Message  (Read 2055 times)

Offline Rheostatic

• Rate Post
  • Don't shoot the messenger
Writing the Retirement Message
« on: March 01, 2018, 21:56:53 »
Is there a standard that applies to retirement messages, aside from message formatting? I've seen enough of them to know there's a pattern, but is it based on a standard or is that just how it's done?

While we're on the subject I'd love to hear about some opinions on what makes a great retirement message (and what to avoid).

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Writing the Retirement Message
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 22:03:29 »
Never understood the reasoning behind a retirement message in our day and age. If people care enough that they will read your retirement message, they likely already know you are getting out.  Or just send an email to those you care about.   

jollyjacktar

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 22:25:22 »
Different strokes for different folks.  I'm not having a message or DWAD etc when l leave.  I'm just going to go.

I do understand, however, that for some it's important and necessary.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 23:04:26 »
The best messages are funny/sarcastic ones, and all of them pretty much went like this:

Member joined this date (some joke about how old s/he is, esp if in a unit with young folks).  Some stuff about interesting postings/deployments and then what the retirement plan is. 

I understand why most people wouldn't care, but usually there's something to the effect of "if you want to send anecdotes to be read on the DWD, send to the contact person". 
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

jollyjacktar

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 23:19:49 »
The best messages are funny/sarcastic ones, and all of them pretty much went like this:

Member joined this date (some joke about how old s/he is, esp if in a unit with young folks).  Some stuff about interesting postings/deployments and then what the retirement plan is. 

I understand why most people wouldn't care, but usually there's something to the effect of "if you want to send anecdotes to be read on the DWD, send to the contact person".

I can't speak for other spots but here in Ottawa, they censor the message and rewrite what they don't like.  Which is another reason some folks don't bother.

Agreed, the best ones are the funny/sarcastic ones.  Some authors have talent.

Offline Old EO Tech

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 23:24:17 »
Is there a standard that applies to retirement messages, aside from message formatting? I've seen enough of them to know there's a pattern, but is it based on a standard or is that just how it's done?

While we're on the subject I'd love to hear about some opinions on what makes a great retirement message (and what to avoid).

The RCEME Corps actually has a Communique on the standard for retirement messages, not sure if other orgs do the same.

Jon

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 23:39:39 »

These examples may, or may not, help,
https://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,110732.msg1232548.html#msg1232548
https://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,122035.msg1417080.html#msg1417080

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 11:18:49 »
Apparently everyone who ever retires has "completed X years of loyal and dedicated service."  One of the best messages I ever saw was one that started, "after 25 years of mostly mediocre and non-descript service,..."

I think it's ridiculous when I see that Cpl or Lt Bloggins is "retiring" after five years of loyal and dedicated service.  There is a difference between retiring and simply releasing.  This doesn't mean that we should recognize all people getting out, but I think the scale by which we do that should be based on the years of service (e.g. at least 25 years of service before getting a "retirement" message).
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 13:14:11 »
Apparently everyone who ever retires has "completed X years of loyal and dedicated service."  One of the best messages I ever saw was one that started, "after 25 years of mostly mediocre and non-descript service,..."

I think it's ridiculous when I see that Cpl or Lt Bloggins is "retiring" after five years of loyal and dedicated service.  There is a difference between retiring and simply releasing.  This doesn't mean that we should recognize all people getting out, but I think the scale by which we do that should be based on the years of service (e.g. at least 25 years of service before getting a "retirement" message).

My counter offer would be: a completion of service at which an immediate annuity is earned and issued.
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way